JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Re: Orin Hatch Retiring

Post by JohnStOnge »

CID1990 wrote:
Because it is becoming obvious that Trump's mouth and Trump's agenda often go in dissimilar directions
I don't think Trump has an agenda other than to build a wall. I think he is pretty much an empty suit and the reason the Republican Congress is showing such a lack of integrity in addressing him is that he is a rubber stamp for them. He didn't pick Gorsich. He has no idea. Someone told him to and he did it.

The tax reform wasn't a Trump tax reform just like the attempt to repeal Obama care wasn't Trump Care. He was just waiting to see what the Republican Congress came up with so he could sign something. Again: He has no idea.

Well...I will say that during the campaign he described an agenda of being aggressive with China. But that part has kind of turned into a "tail between the legs" retreat. He's not ready for that one.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

CID1990 wrote:I've seen and heard people talking about how Romney would be a foil to Trump - he wouldn't tolerate the drama and shenanigans

But my question to that would be- what, exactly, would Romney be able to do as a Senator?

Not vote to confirm Gorsuch (if he was on the Judiciary committee)?

Vote against the tax bill?

Vote against confirmation of the numerous well qualified appointments to State and DoD?

Because it is becoming obvious that Trump's mouth and Trump's agenda often go in dissimilar directions

So as best as I can tell, the Never Trump crowd likes Romney because he would be a scold but also would generally vote the party line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is a fair analysis, I think. The same might be said for Democrats. Unless the economy tanks, their best sound bite platform is "Trump is an asshole". News flash: Joe Public thinks you're all assholes.

Unless the Republicans make average Americans feel real pain through entitlement cuts, they have a good chance of keeping the house and senate.

I'm not supporting this but the environment, public lands, and immigration posturing are tougher sells.
Jjoey52
Level2
Level2

Orin Hatch Retiring

Post by Jjoey52 »

Trump is dumb like a fox, with the left hand he is sending crazy tweets and other things for the media to pounce on, with the right he is moving the agenda forward. The media is his toy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

JohnStOnge wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
I don't think Trump has an agenda other than to build a wall. I think he is pretty much an empty suit and the reason the Republican Congress is showing such a lack of integrity in addressing him is that he is a rubber stamp for them. He didn't pick Gorsich. He has no idea. Someone told him to and he did it.

The tax reform wasn't a Trump tax reform just like the attempt to repeal Obama care wasn't Trump Care. He was just waiting to see what the Republican Congress came up with so he could sign something. Again: He has no idea.

Well...I will say that during the campaign he described an agenda of being aggressive with China. But that part has kind of turned into a "tail between the legs" retreat. He's not ready for that one.
I see

So Gorsuch wasnt Trump's idea
Neither was the tax plan

(sounds a lot like Obama and Obamacare or Obama and Sotomayor)

but they happened anyway - didn't they

which means that at least parts of the conservative agenda is marching right along. Whether it is in spite of Trump or because of Trump is immaterial

I'm very happy with Gorsuch, and 50% happy with the tax bill (I'd like to see concurrent spending cuts)... and one thing is for sure - if Hillary was Prez we would not have seen either

If this is the incompetence and immorality of Trump then hell I might vote for the guy next time around (especially since the DNC will put up someone like Warren or that smug prick Dem version of Sarah Palin, Julian Castro)

Meanwhile, Congressional Dems are flailing about over Russia and childish tweeting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

CID1990 wrote:[
If this is the incompetence and immorality of Trump then hell I might vote for the guy next time around (especially since the DNC will put up someone like Warren or that smug prick Dem version of Sarah Palin, Julian Castro)

Meanwhile, Congressional Dems are flailing about over Russia and childish tweeting
So how do you feel about the attack on the FBI?
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

JohnStOnge wrote:
CID1990 wrote:[

So how do you feel about the attack on the FBI?
It is looking more and more justified each day.

From Fake News Inc:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/29/opinions/ ... index.html

There's smoke there, all right. The ironic thing is that the media appears to be incapable of covering both stories at the same time, because one works at the expense of the other... 1) Trump colluded with Russia to throw the election, and 2) partisan elements within the FBI simultaneously cooked the books to exonerate Clinton and throw the Russian flashlight on Trump

The one the media is going with is to be expected. Your inevitable reply won't carry any surprises, either
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

We're getting ready to find out who is on Fusion GPS's payroll...

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/01/ ... rds-325396

This is some o that transparency that klam would surely approve of

I wonder what journalists are gonna be on those bank statements?

Or the FBI?

The timing of the Fusion GPS op-ed in the NYT sure is curious isn't it? Maybe the best response to it would be

YOU MAD, BRO?
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Ivytalk wrote:Once upon a time, Utah actually had a Donk Senator. Is anyone else on here old enough to remember Frank Moss?
I'm old enough to remember when Delaware had a conk Governor, a conk US senator, and conk US representative! What do I win?

Btw, the best answer is '77-'83: Gov Pete DuPont (R), Sen Bill Roth (R), Rep Tom Evans (R) (with Joe Biden (D) as the other Senator)

Technically, there was a 20-day period in Jan 1993 when conk LtGov Dale Wolf took over for Gov Mike Castle (R) when he was sworn in as US Rep. Wolf served as Gov (with Castle as Rep and Roth as Sen) until Donk Tom Carper was sworn in as Gov.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

93henfan wrote:
Ivytalk wrote:Once upon a time, Utah actually had a Donk Senator. Is anyone else on here old enough to remember Frank Moss?
I'm old enough to remember when Delaware had a conk Governor, a conk US senator, and conk US representative! What do I win?

Btw, the best answer is '77-'83: Gov Pete DuPont (R), Sen Bill Roth (R), Rep Tom Evans (R) (with Joe Biden (D) as the other Senator)

Technically, there was a 20-day period in Jan 1993 when conk LtGov Dale Wolf took over for Gov Mike Castle (R) when he was sworn in as US Rep. Wolf served as Gov (with Castle as Rep and Roth as Sen) until Donk Tom Carper was sworn in as Gov.
Well that's nothing...

just last year, South Carolina had an Indian female governor, a black senator, and a ....ga... sensitive senator
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

HI54UNI wrote:A career politician retiring is a good thing. Adding Willard to the senate is not a good thing.

:coffee:
:nod:

He's been on the job too long.....
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

JohnStOnge wrote:
HI54UNI wrote:A career politician retiring is a good thing. Adding Willard to the senate is not a good thing.

:coffee:
It potentially would be a good thing depending on how Willard reacts because Utah does not like Trump. Willard, if elected, could feel free to tell the truth about what a complete atrocity Trump is with absolutely no fear of election consequences. And the Republicans really need somebody like that right now.

Why Hatch ended up publicly sucking Trump's rodis beyond me.But it'd be good if Romney gets in and speaks the truth about Trump as he did during the election season.
:? ....the bathroom stalls at the airport were all filled with his colleagues....?
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky