Political discussions
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: Trump Tariffs = Tax Hike on all

Post by AZGrizFan »

CID1990 wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote:Is it a good move? On the surface, probably not. Probably even deep down also.
But it's about time other countries get called out for the bullshit they pull at an ever(more ;) ) increasing rate. Just like the NATO thing where countries were not making the AGREED UPON investments in their defense and instead diverting it to their economy.
And now Germany cannot field enough tanks to fulfill their exercise and readiness obligations

Which is why it is necessary for us to pull out of NATO - or at least demand that member nations pull their weight

Here's some food for thought-

How many people have we heard on this very forum - complaining about our military industrial complex and military spending - and those same people weigh in against the suggestion that we should leave NATO?

The same logic applies here - you cant complain about Wal Mart undercutting everybody and becoming the cheap sh1t Borg while wanting to protect trade structures that allow it to happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not me. I complain about our military budget/spending AND I want out of NATO AND out of the UN.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

JohnStOnge wrote: You know what I'm talking about. We've never had a "they don't know what the hell they're doing" reputation like we have now with the election of Trump.
Talk to a professional poker player and he will tell you that they hate playing against non-professionals. Reason being is that their range of play is much wider and unpredictable. That is the Trump administration. They are difficult to read, and they can exploit you as easily as they can be exploited.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

CAA Flagship wrote:Is it a good move? On the surface, probably not. Probably even deep down also.
But it's about time other countries get called out for the bullshit they pull at an ever(more ;) ) increasing rate. Just like the NATO thing where countries were not making the AGREED UPON investments in their defense and instead diverting it to their economy.
I agree. This is just the beginning. When the levee breaks, we'll see how many of these countries which depend on America, will put up or shut up.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Don't know if this has been said, but Trump keeps beating this to show how everyone sidesteps NAFTA.

China currently has 6% of the aluminum in the World sitting in Mexico. Why, so they can build something in Mexico with it and then bring it over to America.

Who would you rather deal with as far as business to gain access to America? America or Mexico?

Trump keeps pointing out NAFTAs flaw.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Where is all the Canadian steel that is produced by Canada? There isn't much, because they purchase Chinese raw material and then make it in Canada.

Another way to sidestep NAFTA.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Canada has quite a lot of iron.

I don't know what percentage of their steel is made from native iron - but, they have similar iron deposits to the US.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Skjellyfetti wrote:Canada has quite a lot of iron.

I don't know what percentage of their steel is made from native iron - but, they have similar iron deposits to the US.
http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/01/news/ec ... index.html
Trump will implement the tariffs under Section 232 of the Trade Expansion Act, a little-known trade law from 1962. To do that, Trump must claim that steel and aluminum imports hurt the country's national security.
:lol: Canada - a national security threat.
The US imports the most steel — 16% — from Canada. It imports 13% from Brazil, 10% from South Korea, 9% from Mexico and 9% from Russia, according to a Department of Commerce report from December 2017. China clocks in at number 11.

In terms of value, Canada, South Korea and Mexico are the top three exporters to the US.

The top five countries from which the United States imported aluminum in 2017 were Canada, China, Russia, the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain, according to Panjiva, a global trade research firm recently acquired by S&P Global.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Canada isn't in the top 10. Not sure where they should be, just a link.

https://www.worldsteel.org/media-centre ... -2017.html

Watch. With a name like World Steel, the site turns out to be propaganda!!
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote:

http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/01/news/ec ... index.html
Trump will implement the tariffs under Section 232 of the Trade Expansion Act, a little-known trade law from 1962. To do that, Trump must claim that steel and aluminum imports hurt the country's national security.
The US imports the most steel — 16% — from Canada. It imports 13% from Brazil, 10% from South Korea, 9% from Mexico and 9% from Russia, according to a Department of Commerce report from December 2017. China clocks in at number 11.

In terms of value, Canada, South Korea and Mexico are the top three exporters to the US.

The top five countries from which the United States imported aluminum in 2017 were Canada, China, Russia, the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain, according to Panjiva, a global trade research firm recently acquired by S&P Global.
I think it could be argued that if you can't produce domestically with US steel everything you would need for a large scale conventional war (ships, tanks, planes, vehicles, missiles, bombs, ammo, etc, etc) it could be a threat to national security no matter where you had to import from, even Canada..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

BDKJMU wrote:
Ibanez wrote: http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/01/news/ec ... index.html
I think it could be argued that if you can't produce domestically with US steel everything you would need for a large scale conventional war (ships, tanks, planes, vehicles, missiles, bombs, ammo, etc, etc) it could be a threat to national security no matter where you had to import from, even Canada..
I see you

using The Force, young Padawan

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote:
:roll: You seriously have no sense of humor.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

BDKJMU wrote:
Maybe you could at least make the argument. But we all know Trump isn't doing this because of concern over national security. He's basically lying again. Shocker.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

JohnStOnge wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: I think it could be argued that if you can't produce domestically with US steel everything you would need for a large scale conventional war (ships, tanks, planes, vehicles, missiles, bombs, ammo, etc, etc) it could be a threat to national security no matter where you had to import from, even Canada..
Maybe you could at least make the argument. But we all know Trump isn't doing this because of concern over national security. He's basically lying again. Shocker.
I think he #1 wants leverage with Mexcico & Canada to get a better deal out of NAFTA, and is using the threat of tarriffs to do it. But he can't openly say that. So he's citing this Section 232 of the Trade Expansion Act, claiming that steel and aluminum imports hurt the country's national security. And that isn't a lie if we couldn't produce all that we needed for a large scale conventional war.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

AZGrizFan wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Okay Mr. Smoot. I'll check you in on the "support Trump" column on this one. I'm sure it will all end up just fine. :rofl:

This can't be a long term game we play - long term and lasting trade barriers have always proven to be a detriment to long term economic growth. Scare the rest of the world and get a better bargaining position is one thing - heading down the path of Fortress America when it comes to trade is something else.
Question: Given that we're now one of the largest oil producers in the world and could easily live on the oil we pump, is there ANYTHING on the planet that we don't have enough of inside our own borders?

Plutonium, maybe? :coffee:
rare earth elements
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

GannonFan wrote:
dbackjon wrote:
Bauxite (main source of aluminum)
Most Rare-earth minerals
No worries, the Aussies are one of the biggest suppliers of bauxite and they still like us. Still good feelings over the "Crocodile Dundee" films. :thumb:
I see you haven't talked to many Australians recently. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

CID1990 wrote:
dbackjon wrote:
Yet they are light-years less naive, feckless and arrogant than Trump.

Clinton/Obama screwed up in Libya. When will our country ever learn that trying to force democracy on countries not ready is a recipe for disaster (Bush-Iraq, Obama-Libya)
Jon Jon Jon

Your defense of the Obama admin is cute, and even noble loyalty in the face of the body of work and facts to the contrary

In the short term the Obama fp writ large was a fumbling, make it up as you go fiasco- arrogant because the only plan was "we're smart and oh did we mention we're not Bush"

In the long term they were no different from Bush or Bill Clinton in terms of short sightedness and overall decline of US credibility in the world

old news, we've picked up the pace since then :thumb:
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

93henfan wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
No

Evermore

A battle was fought there once

Zeppelin references always work for me. :clap:

I refused to pay $6 to see them at Kezar Stadium back in the day. Damned if I was going to pay that to see a junkie play guitar sloppily when I could see a better band with a better guitarist for $3 and an hour closer. (Alvin Lee/Ten Years After) :ohno:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

houndawg wrote:
93henfan wrote:
Zeppelin references always work for me. :clap:

I refused to pay $6 to see them at Kezar Stadium back in the day. Damned if I was going to pay that to see a junkie play guitar sloppily when I could see a better band with a better guitarist for $3 and an hour closer. (Alvin Lee/Ten Years After) :ohno:
In your defense, Page was a famished, H-sweats mess by the late 70s. Could still wield that axe though.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

BDKJMU wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:
I think he #1 wants leverage with Mexcico & Canada to get a better deal out of NAFTA, and is using the threat of tarriffs to do it. But he can't openly say that. So he's citing this Section 232 of the Trade Expansion Act, claiming that steel and aluminum imports hurt the country's national security. And that isn't a lie if we couldn't produce all that we needed for a large scale conventional war.
Jeezus, BDK. Are you Sarah Sanders in drag?
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

93henfan wrote:
houndawg wrote:

In your defense, Page was a famished, H-sweats mess by the late 70s. Could still wield that axe though.
This was the early 70s and I liked led Zeppelin a lot but TYA was better.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

houndawg wrote:
93henfan wrote:
I’ve also heard Robin Trower was an under the radar wizard.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

kalm wrote:
houndawg wrote:
he wasn't really under the radar, everybody knew who he was from his time with Procul Harum
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

BREAKING: President Trump’s top economic adviser Gary Cohn has resigned just hours after President Trump insisted there was no “chaos” at the White House and “everybody” wanted to work there.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... hite-house
:thumb:
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

houndawg wrote:
kalm wrote:
he wasn't really under the radar, everybody knew who he was from his time with Procul Harum
When you play guitar and your band's most iconic song doesn't feature guitar, you're under the radar.

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

"Bridge of Sighs" was one of my favorite 8 track tapes then cassette tapes then CDs ever. I used to love to get high while driving and listen to that.

The guitar stuff that starts at about 1 minute into "Little Bit of Sympathy" and continues through about 1:50 is one of my favorite guitar things ever. Really, really good when you're huffing pot.

phpBB [video]
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came