Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Re: All Things California

Post by Winterborn »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:08 am
BDKJMU wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:00 am
Ok, I should have said lower cost of living instead of lower taxes (which usually plays a part).

I know that’s common around state border areas that people will work in one/live in the other due to lower cost of living, often in part due to lower taxes.

Tax Foundation per capaita doesn’t show a yuge diff between NC (32nd) and SC (40th).
https://taxfoundation.org/publications/ ... %20rows%20
I realize it can vary a lot beyween localities within a state..
Ibanez, who taxes your income?

Oregon taxes employees for income earned while in Oregon so if you work in Oregon but live in Washington (no income taxes) you pay Oregon income taxes. My understanding is that it is based off of where you are physically working so If you worked from home in Washington during the pandemic you would avoid those income taxes despite your employer being located in Oregon.

When I was in Illinois, we had an employee who lived in Indiana and we deducted Indiana income taxes from their pay.

I'm curious how other states with cross-border employment handle it.
I think ND does it the same way. As when I moved from MN into ND but didn't change jobs, my take home pay changed for the better.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:36 am

Not exactly - for all it's problems, SC is home. I love the state but let's not pretend that Republicans (or Democrats for that matter) are the super duper best and only do the super duper best. Let's not be naïve. Both have good and bad policies.

The main reason is that housing is cheaper and the school district in SC is actually better than the one in the Peoples Republic of North Carolina. My house in the "affordable" areas of Charlotte would be nearly double the price - it's absurd.

Your guess is wrong...but valid.
Ok, I should have said lower cost of living instead of lower taxes (which usually plays a part).

I know that’s common around state border areas that people will work in one/live in the other due to lower cost of living, often in part due to lower taxes.

Tax Foundation per capaita doesn’t show a yuge diff between NC (32nd) and SC (40th).
Yeah - I figured that's what you were really getting at. But I wouldn't even say the taxes are lower. I have to pay about $800-$1000 MORE to SC each year than what is already taken out but that could also be the changing tax codes of each state and my income has increased substantially in the past 5 years.

I filled up one of my cars yesterday in NC for $2.90.
Filled up the other in SC, 7.5 mi from the border for $2.69.

You do have more internet options in Charlotte. Here in York County there's a monopoly (family owned - telecom) and they suck.

Quick zillow appraisal of similar homes, in similar neighborhoods purchased around the same 4-5 months that I bought this home. My house was $215k (valuation today is a~ $300k based off improvements, recent sales and a couple offers I've had) ...in Charlotte the same house was about $337k - $645k.

Charlotte is more expensive. Matthews, Gastonia, Belmont aren't too bad but the traffic is worst and the schools suck.

Charleston is expensive. My siblings talk about their $300 electrical bills in the summer. Here I sit in an old home, with ancient systems and windows that need to be replaced spending $121/mo (granted, this is in a program that avgs the monthly bill).
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Oregon taxes employees for income earned while in Oregon so if you work in Oregon but live in Washington (no income taxes) you pay Oregon income taxes. My understanding is that it is based off of where you are physically working so If you worked from home in Washington during the pandemic you would avoid those income taxes despite your employer being located in Oregon.

When I was in Illinois, we had an employee who lived in Indiana and we deducted Indiana income taxes from their pay.

North Carolina taxes my income. I then, basically, get a "credit" towards SC taxes. However, something has changed in the last 2-3 years to where i'm underpaying SC by $800-$1000/year. I don't keep uo with tax laws in either state so it's likely some tax increase (decrease) occurred and I'm not withholding enough.

Edit: Just looked it up - there's a roughly 2.5% difference between what I pay in NC and what SC accepts as a credit.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Winterborn wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:18 am

I think ND does it the same way. As when I moved from MN into ND but didn't change jobs, my take home pay changed for the better.
We now have employees in 17 different states. We tax them based on their state of residence.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:51 am
Winterborn wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:18 am

We now have employees in 17 different states. We tax them based on their state of residence.
You guys should open up a branch here in Southern Canada. We need a good CU to help offset the big banks.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Winterborn wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:58 am

You guys should open up a branch here in Southern Canada. We need a good CU to help offset the big banks.
We still have a few very good community banks in Sussex County that aren’t fee whores like the big ones.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Ivytalk wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:06 pm

We still have a few very good community banks in Sussex County that aren’t fee whores like the big ones.
Gate City is probably the best one up here and it is a Mutual Bank, not a Credit Union. Credit Unions are real hit or miss for fees and customer service here.

houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:50 am

Yeah - I figured that's what you were really getting at. But I wouldn't even say the taxes are lower. I have to pay about $800-$1000 MORE to SC each year than what is already taken out but that could also be the changing tax codes of each state and my income has increased substantially in the past 5 years.

I filled up one of my cars yesterday in NC for $2.90.
Filled up the other in SC, 7.5 mi from the border for $2.69.

You do have more internet options in Charlotte. Here in York County there's a monopoly (family owned - telecom) and they suck.

Quick zillow appraisal of similar homes, in similar neighborhoods purchased around the same 4-5 months that I bought this home. My house was $215k (valuation today is a~ $300k based off improvements, recent sales and a couple offers I've had) ...in Charlotte the same house was about $337k - $645k.

Charlotte is more expensive. Matthews, Gastonia, Belmont aren't too bad but the traffic is worst and the schools suck.

Charleston is expensive. My siblings talk about their $300 electrical bills in the summer. Here I sit in an old home, with ancient systems and windows that need to be replaced spending $121/mo (granted, this is in a program that avgs the monthly bill).
Thats not bad, about half of my average utility payment for an all-electric home and gas here is $3.29.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

What do you need a branch for? How often do you go into a branch? There’s almost NOTHING you can’t do online or over the phone.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:16 am
SDHornet wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:07 pm Gavin's actions are recognizing that progressive policies that turned a largely minority populated city into a literal crime infested shithole is not good optics heading into a recall election in a month. :lol:

Well it's a bit late for that realization, isn't it?

There is obviously a happy medium. Full R and D suck. Look at SC - shitty roads/infrastructure/shitty schools (somehow we landed in one of the best school districts, thank gawd). "low" taxes but you're taxed on everything and we have nothing to show for it. But HEY - we've got a deep port, boiled peanuts and are "pro-business."

We don't have homeless shitting all over the sidewalks so I guess that's something.

Want to know a fun fact? I'm not sure if this is still the case and CID might chime in but there was a time when a several cities and counties used to collect homeless people and bus them to Georgia. Lot of homeless people in Savannah come from Charleston, Beaufort/Hilton Head area.
Naw it's worse now. DA's are literally refusing to jail violent criminals and the "no bail" laws have let predators run wild. Fortunately most of the carnage is limited to the poor and majority brown/black areas of cities. Can't wait to see what happens when the crime migrates in greater numbers to the suburbs.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:33 pm

What do you need a branch for? How often do you go into a branch? There’s almost NOTHING you can’t do online or over the phone.
I need a branch for my CU b/c if I want to transfer money from the CU to USAA (or vice versa) it takes a week unless go get a check and then do mobile deposit.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ibanez wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:50 am

I need a branch for my CU b/c if I want to transfer money from the CU to USAA (or vice versa) it takes a week unless go get a check and then do mobile deposit.
Incorrect. Instead of transferring FROM your CU TO USAA, go to your USAA account and PULL the money. It gets credited to your account instantly. I do it all the time.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Yeah the recall election will totally be free and fair.

Oh and

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

I do a fair amount of cash transactions and at least once a month I am making a deposit of cash.

As for the rest, I agree. I did my last car loan via phone and shopped around for it online.

houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

SDHornet wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:49 pm Yeah the recall election will totally be free and fair.

Oh and

Sounds like you know you're going to lose. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Winterborn wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:54 am

I do a fair amount of cash transactions and at least once a month I am making a deposit of cash.

As for the rest, I agree. I did my last car loan via phone and shopped around for it online.
Sounds like you need a safe. There’s ZERO reason/incentive to deposit cash. And it just makes you have to report it on your taxes. :coffee: :coffee:
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:10 pm
Winterborn wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:54 am

Sounds like you need a safe. There’s ZERO reason/incentive to deposit cash. And it just makes you have to report it on your taxes. :coffee: :coffee:
Some has to be deposited as there are receipts and other paperwork involved to keep the IRS happy.

Outside of that. Have any good recommendations for a safe? :D

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Yeah, going to be a fair election.. :lol:
https://www.foxnews.com/us/california-r ... car-police
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

In a letter to the editor the WSJ had a good analogy about Oregon dropping proficiency requirements.

Oregon’s desire to have minority students achieve academic parity by eliminating proficiency requirements (“Dumbing Oregon Down,” Review & Outlook, Aug. 13) reminds me of a story from one of my economic professors: “An economist entered a room and remarked how cold the room was. He went to a wall thermometer and confirmed that the room was 45 degrees and, yes, quite cool. He then struck a match and placed the flame under the thermometer until it read 75 degrees. “Aaaah, that’s much better,” he said. Some things never change.

Cortes E. DeRussy

Bronxville, N.Y.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/oregon-hig ... ajor_pos18

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

houndawg wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:12 pm
SDHornet wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:49 pm Yeah the recall election will totally be free and fair.

Oh and

Sounds like it's rigged...again. You're not very good at this.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

SDHornet wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:53 am
houndawg wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:12 pm

You're the loser and you want to make yourself feel better by blaming somebody else. If your side wins you'll be praising the system to the heavens and all talk of rigged election forgotten. All these years and you still try sell your feeble nonsense..... :ohno:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

houndawg wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:09 pm
SDHornet wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:53 am

You're the loser and you want to make yourself feel better by blaming somebody else. If your side wins you'll be praising the system to the heavens and all talk of rigged election forgotten. All these years and you still try sell your feeble nonsense..... :ohno:
Hey dumbass, ballot harvesting is legal in CA. It's rigged. Not really hard to comprehend.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

SDHornet wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:14 pm
Well dammit. And here I was hoping Larry Elder would win….guess I was buffaloed too….had no idea.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

The nail in the coffin may have just come out today: in addition to the corruption and the mismanagement of the forest fires and the pandemic, not to mention all the cache going out to criminals and illegal immigrants, word just came out today that we're facing a $54B+ deficit in the coming year. After all the speechifying about using a surplus to fund social projects, if that doesn't speak to incompetency, I don't know what does....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.