Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: Stupid Things Ocasio-Cortez Says: Megathread

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:50 am
BDKJMU wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:03 am
Exactly.
-If Russia were to take over all of Ukraine = very little effect on the US.
-If Russia were to get kicked out of all Ukraine = very little effect on the US

Sure I’d like to see Ukraine kick the Russians out, but we shouldn’t be sending tens of billions to Ukraine when we have an illegal immigrant invasion along with drugs pouring over our Southern border and a former POTUS threatening national security with stolen documents.
Will Putin stop with Ukraine? Could the Baltic states be next? What about Poland?

Am I and others being overdramatic? Is this more like Vietnam and the domino theory then Nazi Germany and Chamberlain/Churchill?
We’ve spent 75 years preparing to fight Russian totalitarianism. It’s our shining moment and then the wet blankets get tossed.

:ohno:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:50 am
Exactly.

Sure I’d like to see Ukraine kick the Russians out, but we shouldn’t be sending tens of billions to Ukraine when we have an illegal immigrant invasion along with drugs pouring over our Southern border and a former POTUS threatening national security with stolen documents.
Will Putin stop with Ukraine? Could the Baltic states be next? What about Poland?

Am I and others being overdramatic? Is this more like Vietnam and the domino theory then Nazi Germany and Chamberlain/Churchill?
Yes.
-Putin, with the state of the Russian military now, couldn't conquer all of eastern Europe, or any of Western Europe.
-We have no treaty obligation with Ukraine. We do with Poland and the Baltics.
-We shouldn't be going to war or spending large sums of $$ on countries we don't have treaties with or don't have vital national security interest with. We don't import much from Ukraine. What is happening on our southern border has a far greater impact on the US than what is happening in Ukraine.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Doing one (fixing immigration and how to control our borders) does not in anyway impact our ability to do the other (help Ukraine fight back totalitarianism and naked military aggression). They aren't linked at all, except by somebody putting them together in a post.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

SDHornet wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:40 pm

Why die for the Donbas? ;)
Exactly.

Sure I’d like to see Ukraine kick the Russians out, but we shouldn’t be sending tens of billions to Ukraine when we have an illegal immigrant invasion along with drugs pouring over our Southern border..
My favorite is the narrative that Russia is a bumbling and incompetent army that contradicts with the narrative that they'll roll tanks on all of Europe. Which is it? :lol:

And yeah that war has zero implications on national security, but mega implications on the money laundering grift the elites have going on over there.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

SDHornet wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:24 pm
Exactly.

Sure I’d like to see Ukraine kick the Russians out, but we shouldn’t be sending tens of billions to Ukraine when we have an illegal immigrant invasion along with drugs pouring over our Southern border..
My favorite is the narrative that Russia is a bumbling and incompetent army that contradicts with the narrative that they'll roll tanks on all of Europe. Which is it? :lol:

And yeah that war has zero implications on national security, but mega implications on the money laundering grift the elites have going on over there.
Not all of Europe - they couldn't possibly get that far. Heck, they'll be at least another 10 years in Ukraine just trying to stumble through there (although it doesn't look like it'll take just 10 years, probably much more). But there is real danger that they could try to repeat what they're trying to do in Ukraine (attack a neighbor without any provocation with the sole goal being to expand the Russian empire) and perhaps try it in a Latvia or some other small country like that. It's what Russia does. But it'll take them awhile to get untangled in Ukraine and move all that equipment north. This isn't an efficient modern army, just an army with a lot of equipment behind them. We'll see if they even survive this Ukrainian fiasco they put themselves in.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:44 am
SDHornet wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:24 pm

Not all of Europe - they couldn't possibly get that far. Heck, they'll be at least another 10 years in Ukraine just trying to stumble through there (although it doesn't look like it'll take just 10 years, probably much more). But there is real danger that they could try to repeat what they're trying to do in Ukraine (attack a neighbor without any provocation with the sole goal being to expand the Russian empire) and perhaps try it in a Latvia or some other small country like that. It's what Russia does. But it'll take them awhile to get untangled in Ukraine and move all that equipment north. This isn't an efficient modern army, just an army with a lot of equipment behind them. We'll see if they even survive this Ukrainian fiasco they put themselves in.
Do those other neighboring countries have an ethnic feud with Russia as well? Honest question.

And I think being in NATO will deter Russian action on other neighboring countries. But I guess only time will tell.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

SDHornet wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:39 pm
GannonFan wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:44 am

Do those other neighboring countries have an ethnic feud with Russia as well? Honest question.

And I think being in NATO will deter Russian action on other neighboring countries. But I guess only time will tell.
Sure they do. Estonia and Latvia, especially, actually have higher proportions of ethnic Russian populations than even Ukraine does. The USSR was particularly good at forcing migration into those countries during the Soviet period in an effort to make them "more Russian". And yes, hopefully we never have to worry about NATO's response to an invasion of a NATO country by Russia. One would hope their significant difficulties in Ukraine will help to deter them trying something similar in one of the Baltic countries. But their invasion of Ukraine didn't exhibit good decision making so you never know.