RBG has Cancer...Again

Political discussions
User avatar
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 14300
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:50 pm
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: RBG has Cancer...Again

Post by SDHornet »

Ibanez wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:03 am
SDHornet wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:30 pm
Republicans were against it before the were for it. :lol:
Yep, but the donks haven't put any flashy montages about it, so here we are.

∞∞∞
Level5
Level5
Posts: 11447
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:30 am

Re: RBG has Cancer...Again

Post by ∞∞∞ »

UNI88 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:14 am
∞∞∞ wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:45 am
I also agree if it was changed to this: The People pick the Legislature; the Legislature increases the size of the Judiciary. That is how it works.

SCOTUS keeps overturning the will of the People? Weaken it, because that's fundamental checks and balances. If the nation becomes more progressive with time (as is happening), it's asinine to think a conservative court should hold us back. The Executive and Legislative branches - as elected by the People - should knock down a Judicial branch not working for the People. In fact, it's their Constitutional duty.

The Constitution, while flawed, does have some beauty to it.
If the role of government is to enforce the "will of the People" and the "will of the People" is defined by what the majority wants then the last 200+ years of white people dominating culturally, economically, etc. was completely justified because that's what the majority of the people wanted.

Your ignorance and arrogance in believing that the will of the majority should always be followed is worse than any arrogance or nefarious purpose that you accuse the founders of.
You made a fundamental, although common, flaw in the argument.

"Will of the People" is not defined by what the majority wants. It is defined by what the majority want among equals.

User avatar
89Hen
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
Posts: 36254
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:13 pm
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: RBG has Cancer...Again

Post by 89Hen »

Image

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 54685
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:16 pm
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: RBG has Cancer...Again

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:46 am
Ibanez wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:42 am


But it isn't. It's EVOLVED to what it's become. It was OBVIOUSLY set up by the men of their times and it's been amended by the people of its time. The Peoples Representatives gave the power to the Executive. The Executive took power to make change. It has evolved.
Perfect, so there's no Constitutional issue if the Legislative Branch wants to weaken the Judicial branch and make it its b*tch. That's what we call a "check." The voters can then decide if it the representatives made the correct decision or not.

The Constitution is working exactly as intended.
Please point out where I have suggested that. I'm merely correcting your false impression that the founders set up the Executive to be more powerful. You have gripes with the current government and that's fine, but you're placing blame on a document that isn't being followed as written. It isn't Madison and Hamilton's fault.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 54685
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:16 pm
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: RBG has Cancer...Again

Post by Ibanez »

SDHornet wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:19 am
Ibanez wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:03 am


Republicans were against it before the were for it. :lol:
Yep, but the donks haven't put any flashy montages about it, so here we are.
haha. I do love a montage....
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 54685
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:16 pm
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: RBG has Cancer...Again

Post by Ibanez »

UNI88 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:14 am
∞∞∞ wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:45 am
I also agree if it was changed to this: The People pick the Legislature; the Legislature increases the size of the Judiciary. That is how it works.

SCOTUS keeps overturning the will of the People? Weaken it, because that's fundamental checks and balances. If the nation becomes more progressive with time (as is happening), it's asinine to think a conservative court should hold us back. The Executive and Legislative branches - as elected by the People - should knock down a Judicial branch not working for the People. In fact, it's their Constitutional duty.

The Constitution, while flawed, does have some beauty to it.
If the role of government is to enforce the "will of the People" and the "will of the People" is defined by what the majority wants then the last 200+ years of white people dominating culturally, economically, etc. was completely justified because that's what the majority of the people wanted.

Your ignorance and arrogance in believing that the will of the majority should always be followed is worse than any arrogance or nefarious purpose that you accuse the founders of.
Well said. :clap: :clap:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 54685
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:16 pm
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: RBG has Cancer...Again

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:31 am
UNI88 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:14 am


If the role of government is to enforce the "will of the People" and the "will of the People" is defined by what the majority wants then the last 200+ years of white people dominating culturally, economically, etc. was completely justified because that's what the majority of the people wanted.

Your ignorance and arrogance in believing that the will of the majority should always be followed is worse than any arrogance or nefarious purpose that you accuse the founders of.
You made a fundamental, although common, flaw in the argument.

"Will of the People" is not defined by what the majority wants. It is defined by what the majority want among equals.
The will of the people is the majority vote as based upon their elected officials. The will of the people has given us Prohibition and women's suffrage.

Is your real complaint about the lack of power the minority has?
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17

User avatar
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 8954
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:30 am
I am a fan of: UNI
A.K.A.: Unification88
Location: Fence Sitter & Ball-Sack Splitter

Re: RBG has Cancer...Again

Post by UNI88 »

∞∞∞ wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:31 am
UNI88 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:14 am

If the role of government is to enforce the "will of the People" and the "will of the People" is defined by what the majority wants then the last 200+ years of white people dominating culturally, economically, etc. was completely justified because that's what the majority of the people wanted.

Your ignorance and arrogance in believing that the will of the majority should always be followed is worse than any arrogance or nefarious purpose that you accuse the founders of.
You made a fundamental, although common, flaw in the argument.

"Will of the People" is not defined by what the majority wants. It is defined by what the majority want among equals.
I would not be an "equal" in the ideal progressive future, so your argument has the same fundamental flaw.

The history of the US has been far from perfect but there has been a lot of positives and the pendulum is moving in the right direction. You and others want to swing that pendulum past equilibrium and make up for all of the real and perceived oppressions of the past. The problem with that is that at some point, those who will be aggrieved in your future will regain power and push the pendulum back.Why can't we be adults, stop the tit-for-tat and try to give everyone equal opportunities?

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 54685
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:16 pm
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: RBG has Cancer...Again

Post by Ibanez »

UNI88 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:58 am
∞∞∞ wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:31 am


You made a fundamental, although common, flaw in the argument.

"Will of the People" is not defined by what the majority wants. It is defined by what the majority want among equals.
I would not be an "equal" in the ideal progressive future, so your argument has the same fundamental flaw.

The history of the US has been far from perfect but there has been a lot of positives and the pendulum is moving in the right direction. You and others want to swing that pendulum past equilibrium and make up for all of the real and perceived oppressions of the past. The problem with that is that at some point, those who will be aggrieved in your future will regain power and push the pendulum back.Why can't we be adults, stop the tit-for-tat and try to give everyone equal opportunities?
Because the minority wants their turn at being the majority and committing all the sins that they observe being committed by the majority. IT'S THEIR TURN!
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17

User avatar
89Hen
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
Posts: 36254
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:13 pm
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: RBG has Cancer...Again

Post by 89Hen »

For Raul...

Image

Baldy
Level4
Level4
Posts: 8378
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:38 pm
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Re: RBG has Cancer...Again

Post by Baldy »

∞∞∞ wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:06 am
Baldy wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:19 am

To paraphrase John Adams, the United States is a nation of laws, not men. The role of the judiciary isn't to work for the people. It's job is to apply the law, period. It is insulated and cannot be subject to sudden whims of "the people".

I see why you hate the Constitution so much. You don't understand it.
The entire government works for the People, including the Judicial branch. Additionally, the system works on each branch interpreting the Constitution how it wants, and battling the interpretations of the other branches. The SCOTUS doesn't have to strictly apply law.

Ultimately, any constitution is a philosophical agreement on how to run society: they can be interpreted differently, misunderstood, disagreed with, broken, consequences handed, rewards given. We're in a period where there's lots of disagreements on it, but we'll coalesce around one eventually...until we start disagreeing again.
I thought GF may have went a little too far in his reply to you earlier, but he probably didn't go far enough.

It seems that so many people in your life have failed you in so many ways. :ohno:

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 54685
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:16 pm
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: RBG has Cancer...Again

Post by Ibanez »

89Hen wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:53 am
For Raul...

I can't watch videos on this machine.

My position has been clear - The POTUS has an duty to nominate a candidate and the Senate has a duty to confirm/deny...regardless of the political parties involved.


Don't mistake me pointing out the hypocrisy of the Republicans on this as anything other than that.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17

User avatar
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 53967
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:40 pm
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate
Location: Just to the right of center

Re: RBG has Cancer...Again

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ibanez wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:55 am
∞∞∞ wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:31 am


You made a fundamental, although common, flaw in the argument.

"Will of the People" is not defined by what the majority wants. It is defined by what the majority want among equals.
The will of the people is the majority vote as based upon their elected officials. The will of the people has given us Prohibition and women's suffrage.

Is your real complaint about the lack of power the minority has?
And the will of the people has given us a Republican president and a Republican senate.

CARRY ON! :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Image

dal4018
Level4
Level4
Posts: 9091
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:17 pm
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Re: RBG has Cancer...Again

Post by dal4018 »

The NOTORIOUS RBG has skeletons in her closet when it came to the subject of racism she thought Colin Kaepernick and his protest of police shootings was STUPID AND DISRESPECTFUL.She also hung around with Antonio Scalia another redneck who wore a Black Robe like she used to.

User avatar
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
Posts: 18540
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:47 pm
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Re: RBG has Cancer...Again

Post by JohnStOnge »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:24 pm
Ibanez wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:55 am

The will of the people is the majority vote as based upon their elected officials. The will of the people has given us Prohibition and women's suffrage.

Is your real complaint about the lack of power the minority has?
And the will of the people has given us a Republican president and a Republican senate.

CARRY ON! :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:
As I have said before: It's not the will of the people. It's an artifact of our system.

In the last Presidential election, 2.9 million more of "the people" voted for the Democrat than for the Republican.

In the 2016 Senate elections, 11.1 million more of "the people" voted for Democrats than voted for Republicans. In the 2018 Senate elections, 17.5 million more of "the people" voted for Democrats than voted for Republicans.

If you take the last three Senate elections combined in order to cover all of the seats, 24.8 million more people voted for Democrats than for Republicans.

So, no, Republicans controlling the Presidency and the Senate is not a "will of the people" thing. It's what our system resulted in and one can argue that it's good that things work that way. But it's not the will of the people.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Image

User avatar
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
Posts: 18301
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:59 am
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU
Location: Philly Burbs

Re: RBG has Cancer...Again

Post by BDKJMU »

JohnStOnge wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:35 pm
AZGrizFan wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:24 pm


And the will of the people has given us a Republican president and a Republican senate.

CARRY ON! :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:
As I have said before: It's not the will of the people. It's an artifact of our system.

In the last Presidential election, 2.9 million more of "the people" voted for the Democrat than for the Republican.

In the 2016 Senate elections, 11.1 million more of "the people" voted for Democrats than voted for Republicans. In the 2018 Senate elections, 17.5 million more of "the people" voted for Democrats than voted for Republicans.

If you take the last three Senate elections combined in order to cover all of the seats, 24.8 million more people voted for Democrats than for Republicans.

So, no, Republicans controlling the Presidency and the Senate is not a "will of the people" thing. It's what our system resulted in and one can argue that it's good that things work that way. But it's not the will of the people.
Which doesn’t mean squat, because if you take the last 3 senate elections combined, the Republicans won 53 races, and the Democrats won 47. SCOREBOARD.

Its like when in football you outgained the other team but still lost. Scoreboard is what matters. Conks 53, Donks 47.

Or with a football team with a losing record at the end of the season who won a few blowouts, but lost a slew of closer games. At the end of the season they outscored their opponents over the course of the season, but that doesn’t mean squat because they finished 4-7 or 5-7.

Wyoming with under 600k on one end of the spectrum gets 2 senators, and CA with 40+ million on the other side gets 2 Senators. So as long as every state has 2 senators, the nationwode vote total over 3 Senate elections doesn’t mean squat.
BLM: Burning Looting Marxists

User avatar
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 14300
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:50 pm
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: RBG has Cancer...Again

Post by SDHornet »

Ibanez wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:16 pm
89Hen wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:53 am
For Raul...

I can't watch videos on this machine.

My position has been clear - The POTUS has an duty to nominate a candidate and the Senate has a duty to confirm/deny...regardless of the political parties involved.


Don't mistake me pointing out the hypocrisy of the Republicans on this as anything other than that.
Agreed.

User avatar
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 14300
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:50 pm
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: RBG has Cancer...Again

Post by SDHornet »

BDKJMU wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:02 pm
JohnStOnge wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:35 pm


As I have said before: It's not the will of the people. It's an artifact of our system.

In the last Presidential election, 2.9 million more of "the people" voted for the Democrat than for the Republican.

In the 2016 Senate elections, 11.1 million more of "the people" voted for Democrats than voted for Republicans. In the 2018 Senate elections, 17.5 million more of "the people" voted for Democrats than voted for Republicans.

If you take the last three Senate elections combined in order to cover all of the seats, 24.8 million more people voted for Democrats than for Republicans.

So, no, Republicans controlling the Presidency and the Senate is not a "will of the people" thing. It's what our system resulted in and one can argue that it's good that things work that way. But it's not the will of the people.
Which doesn’t mean squat, because if you take the last 3 senate elections combined, the Republicans won 53 races, and the Democrats won 47. SCOREBOARD.

Its like when in football you outgained the other team but still lost. Scoreboard is what matters. Conks 53, Donks 47.

Or with a football team with a losing record at the end of the season who won a few blowouts, but lost a slew of closer games. At the end of the season they outscored their opponents over the course of the season, but that doesn’t mean squat because they finished 4-7 or 5-7.

Wyoming with under 600k on one end of the spectrum gets 2 senators, and CA with 40+ million on the other side gets 2 Senators. So as long as every state has 2 senators, the nationwode vote total over 3 Senate elections doesn’t mean squat.
JSO must be one of those "burn it all down" morons like Trip when things don't go their way.

User avatar
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 14300
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:50 pm
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: RBG has Cancer...Again

Post by SDHornet »

:lol:


User avatar
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 14300
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:50 pm
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: RBG has Cancer...Again

Post by SDHornet »

And the religious smears begin...


Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 54685
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:16 pm
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: RBG has Cancer...Again

Post by Ibanez »

dal4018 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:05 pm
The NOTORIOUS RBG has skeletons in her closet when it came to the subject of racism she thought Colin Kaepernick and his protest of police shootings was STUPID AND DISRESPECTFUL.She also hung around with Antonio Scalia another redneck who wore a Black Robe like she used to.
A dal sighting!? Welcome back,Dal! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Spoiler: show
That was genuine..welcome back. I hope you and your family are doing well.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 54685
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:16 pm
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: RBG has Cancer...Again

Post by Ibanez »

JohnStOnge wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:35 pm
AZGrizFan wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:24 pm


And the will of the people has given us a Republican president and a Republican senate.

CARRY ON! :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:
As I have said before: It's not the will of the people. It's an artifact of our system.

In the last Presidential election, 2.9 million more of "the people" voted for the Democrat than for the Republican.

In the 2016 Senate elections, 11.1 million more of "the people" voted for Democrats than voted for Republicans. In the 2018 Senate elections, 17.5 million more of "the people" voted for Democrats than voted for Republicans.

If you take the last three Senate elections combined in order to cover all of the seats, 24.8 million more people voted for Democrats than for Republicans.

So, no, Republicans controlling the Presidency and the Senate is not a "will of the people" thing. It's what our system resulted in and one can argue that it's good that things work that way. But it's not the will of the people.
I'm not highly intelligent nor am I slack-jawed stupid but WTF are you talking about? As our system is designed, our current political breakdown in Congress and the WH IS the will of the people. You may not like it, but those are the facts. Quit falling back on the stats...they only get you so far before you have to realize the reality of a situation. :twocents:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17

User avatar
89Hen
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
Posts: 36254
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:13 pm
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: RBG has Cancer...Again

Post by 89Hen »

SDHornet wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:35 pm
And the religious smears begin...
Do they forget Biden is supposedly a Catholic?
Image

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 54685
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:16 pm
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: RBG has Cancer...Again

Post by Ibanez »

89Hen wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:56 am
SDHornet wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:35 pm
And the religious smears begin...
Do they forget Biden is supposedly a Catholic?
Ok..i'll bite. How Catholic is he?
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17

User avatar
89Hen
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
Posts: 36254
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:13 pm
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: RBG has Cancer...Again

Post by 89Hen »

Ibanez wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:00 am
89Hen wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:56 am


Do they forget Biden is supposedly a Catholic?
Ok..i'll bite. How Catholic is he?
Depends on who he's pandering to.
Image

Post Reply