Political discussions
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: RBG has Cancer...Again

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:27 am
Ibanez wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:00 am Ok..i'll bite. How Catholic is he?
Depends on who he's pandering to.
So less catholic than you and more catholic than Ibanez? :D
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:29 am

Probably somewhere in there. I'm no Opus Dei, but pretty sure my lottery number is higher than Joe's. ;)
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:32 am

Probably somewhere in there. I'm no Opus Dei, but pretty sure my lottery number is higher than Joe's. ;)
Eh, remember, Joe had to be Catholic to get his kids into the Catholic private school in the late 70's and early 80's so as to avoid being bussed into a predominately Black neighborhood and public school in Wilmington during desegregation in Delaware. Wouldn't want his kids to have to go to school in the hood. The horror.

He tends to be Catholic like he tends to be a Blue Hens fan. If the church could win a national title he'd be there for the celebration after the game.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:39 am
dal4018 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:05 pm The NOTORIOUS RBG has skeletons in her closet when it came to the subject of racism she thought Colin Kaepernick and his protest of police shootings was STUPID AND DISRESPECTFUL.She also hung around with Antonio Scalia another redneck who wore a Black Robe like she used to.
A dal sighting!? Welcome back,Dal! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Spoiler: show
That was genuine..welcome back. I hope you and your family are doing well.
Same here. Hope all is well dal!!!!!!1!
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

This should trigger JSO...

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:00 am Ok..i'll bite. How Catholic is he?
Well a politician is going to pander. :lol:

But I'm not sure we want to start doubting peoples faith. :twocents:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

:lol: It doesn't take much to be more Catholic than me. My wife was raised Southern Baptist but after our trip to Rome and celebrating a Mass at St. Peters, I feel she's a smidge more Catholic than myself. :lol:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:07 am

Why not? The Left does it all the time.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

SDHornet wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:13 am
Ibanez wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:07 am

Because we're better than that. We shouldn't fall into the trap of, " Well the Left did it, so why can't I." I'm not going to judge the faith of someone I don't know. I probably won't even judge the faith of someone I do know, to be honest. I grew up learning that while it's public, a person's faith can be quite private. I can make assumptions, sure. I assume that 89hen is a devout, god-fearing man based off his posts. But I'm not about to judge him b/c he comes off as a devout, god-fearing man. :twocents:

I'll judge him on the things that matter...like being a curmudgeon who plays golf and brews beer. :mrgreen:
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:17 am

Because we're better than that. We shouldn't fall into the trap of, " Well the Left did it, so why can't I." I'm not going to judge the faith of someone I don't know. I probably won't even judge the faith of someone I do know, to be honest. I grew up learning that while it's public, a person's faith can be quite private. I can make assumptions, sure. I assume that 89hen is a devout, god-fearing man based off his posts. But I'm not about to judge him b/c he comes off as a devout, god-fearing man. :twocents:

I'll judge him on the things that matter...like being a curmudgeon who plays golf and brews beer. :mrgreen:
:nod:

I will be the first to admit that I have trouble taking the high road sometimes and need a reminder that one should not wrestle with a pig, as all you wind up doing is getting dirty and the pig enjoys it.

Paraphrasing George Bernard Shaw there. :D
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Winterborn wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:27 am

I will be the first to admit that I have trouble taking the high road sometimes and need a reminder that one should not wrestle with a pig, as all you wind up doing is getting dirty and the pig enjoys it.

Paraphrasing George Bernard Shaw there. :D
I am right there with you. I've been catching myself lately, especially with LilCCU watching.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:11 am I am right there with you. I've been catching myself lately, especially with LilCCU watching.
And there's my problem. We are back to empty nesters so I don't have anything stopping me from yelling at the TV and the national news. ABC has been in rare form this week, even by their standards. :ohno: :oops:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

89Hen wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:19 pm
Ibanez wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:11 am I am right there with you. I've been catching myself lately, especially with LilCCU watching.
And there's my problem. We are back to empty nesters so I don't have anything stopping me from yelling at the TV and the national news. ABC has been in rare form this week, even by their standards. :ohno: :oops:
:lol: :lol: :lol: I caught myself saying something stupid the other day and Lil CCU says, " Is Trump bad?" I had to tell her that I meant he is not good at his job but I don't know if he's a bad guy. She seems to understand that.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

SDHornet wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:03 am This should trigger JSO...

I'd have worded it "...didn't win the popular vote..." rather than "didn't get the majority of the popular vote. Clinton clearly won the popular vote. It was a three candidate race that time with Ross Perot getting more of the vote than non major party candidates usually get. But the popular vote results from 1992 were Clinton 43.0%, Bush 37.4%, Perot 18.9%. Clinton won the popular vote.

Trump did not win the popular vote. I don't think I need to repeat the numbers since it was recent. It's not the same thing at all. We have a situation where a Republican President gets to nominate even though the Democrat candidate won the vote among the People and he will be supported by a Senate that is controlled by Republicans even though a far larger of number the People voted for Democrats during Senate elections. It's clearly minority rule. I'm not saying it's not our system. It is. But our system allows for minority rule.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

JohnStOnge wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:40 pm
SDHornet wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:03 am This should trigger JSO...

I'd have worded it "...didn't win the popular vote..." rather than "didn't get the majority of the popular vote. Clinton clearly won the popular vote. It was a three candidate race that time with Ross Perot getting more of the vote than non major party candidates usually get. But the popular vote results from 1992 were Clinton 43.0%, Bush 37.4%, Perot 18.9%. Clinton won the popular vote.

Trump did not win the popular vote. I don't think I need to repeat the numbers since it was recent. It's not the same thing at all. We have a situation where a Republican President gets to nominate even though the Democrat candidate won the vote among the People and he will be supported by a Senate that is controlled by Republicans even though a far larger of number the People voted for Democrats during Senate elections. It's clearly minority rule. I'm not saying it's not our system. It is. But our system allows for minority rule.
And SD wins $1 on a $10 bet that he would trigger JSO ... :D
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:17 pm

That is fine, as long as you realize that the tweet was an invalid comparison. Clinton was the choice of the People. Trump was not.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

JohnStOnge wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:44 pm

That is fine, as long as you realize that the tweet was an invalid comparison. Clinton was the choice of the People. Trump was not.
Wrong (again). He was the choice of only 43% of the people.

Who knew that reading could be so difficult?
DuckDuckGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by DuckDuckGriz »

Baldy wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:02 pm

The people will vote on one choice.
The majority votes go to one choice.
Three choices narrow to one choice.
The choice of the people.

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

The only way to truly know whether Clinton was the "choice of the people" would have been to have ranked choice voting or to have a run-off if no candidate received more than 50% + 1 votes.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

You're no fun.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

I accept payment in tacos. :coffee:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Baldy wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:02 pm

Is this JSO's 21/3=6.93 moment? :lol:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:39 pm

The only way to truly know whether Clinton was the "choice of the people" would have been to have ranked choice voting or to have a run-off if no candidate received more than 50% + 1 votes.
Yep, it's really not that hard to understand.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

89Hen wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:19 pm

got a little more time before I have to put a lid on it for the grandkids
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

SDHornet wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:18 pm

You're no fun.
:lol: