Political discussions
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination Process Mega-thread

Post by Ivytalk »

kalm wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: Every time I think you couldn’t possibly get any stupider, I’m proven wrong.
Which part? Trump hasn’t blamed illegals or the Steinle case?
The latter. JSO is whitewashing it. Why do you defend him?
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Ivytalk wrote:
kalm wrote:
Which part? Trump hasn’t blamed illegals or the Steinle case?
The latter. JSO is whitewashing it. Why do you defend him?
Because he strikes me as a deep thinker. Doesn’t mean he can’t be wrong but he’s withstood a mob attack on this site and not all of it is very well founded. See Ivy’s post above arguing that Trump hasn’t rounded people up. I don’t think JSO has made that claim. (And yes...Godwins Law etc, etc.)
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

kalm wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: The latter. JSO is whitewashing it. Why do you defend him?
Because he strikes me as a deep thinker. Doesn’t mean he can’t be wrong but he’s withstood a mob attack on this site and not all of it is very well founded. See Ivy’s post above arguing that Trump hasn’t rounded people up. I don’t think JSO has made that claim. (And yes...Godwins Law etc, etc.)
Don’t you mean “Ibanez’s post”? I don’t know about “deep thinking,” but his monomania — there, I said it — leads him to take outlandish positions in his never-ending quest to change the reality that Trump is our President. You see a “mob attack”? I see a group effort to correct flagrant intellectual dishonesty.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Ivytalk wrote:
kalm wrote:
Don’t you mean “Ibanez’s post”? I don’t know about “deep thinking,” but his monomania — there, I said it — leads him to take outlandish positions in his never-ending quest to change the reality that Trump is our President. You see a “mob attack”? I see a group effort to correct flagrant intellectual dishonesty.
Oops...sorry, IT. That was Ibanez’s post. :oops:

Again, Godwin’s Law aside, I don’t see a huge amount of intellectual dishonesty. The left hates Trump more than they should and the right (and some moderates) diminish his stupidity more than they should.

Brought to you by your local thoughtful centrist.

:mrgreen:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: Don’t you mean “Ibanez’s post”? I don’t know about “deep thinking,” but his monomania — there, I said it — leads him to take outlandish positions in his never-ending quest to change the reality that Trump is our President. You see a “mob attack”? I see a group effort to correct flagrant intellectual dishonesty.

Again, Godwin’s Law aside, I don’t see a huge amount of intellectual dishonesty. The left hates Trump more than they should and the right (and some moderates) diminish his stupidity more than they should.

I agree it probably isn't intellectual dishonesty. It's aspergers or something similar that allows him to focus only on Trump's many negatives and to completely disregard any positives no matter how valid.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote:
kalm wrote:

I agree it probably isn't intellectual dishonesty. It's aspergers or something similar that allows him to focus only on Trump's many negatives and to completely disregard any positives no matter how valid.
And also completely disregard exactly the same negatives in Clinton or any other dem.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

JohnStOnge wrote:
Ibanez wrote:
Here's where you are wrong. Hitler blamed the Jews for losing the war, bread lines, poor economy, everything that was going wrong in the country. Trump hasn't blamed illegal immigrants for that ****. Trump has blamed Obama. But guess what? Obama blamed Bush. Bush blamed Clinton. Clinton blamed...you get where I'm going with this. Trump blamed leadership, not a group of people for the problem..
Trump has clearly blamed illegal immigrants for things. And it's not just "illegal" immigrants. Remember: People who come here asking for asylum are not illegal immigrants. What he's done is talk about crime, murder, etc. You know, exploiting things like the Kate Steinle thing where it is clear that the illegal immigrant did not intentionally shoot her but Trump and others point to it as an example of the vicious illegal immigrants randomly killing people.
Yeah, he just happened to find a stolen Sig Sauer P239 lying under a bench, and he just happened to pick it up, and it just happened to go off accidentally, and it just happened to richocet off the cement and just happened to fatally strike Steinle.. Sig P239s don’t go off unless you pull the trigger, double or single action.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote:
UNI88 wrote:
And also completely disregard exactly the same negatives in Clinton or any other dem.
I ain’t gonna deny that these are valid points. :lol:

But I’m not sure any one from either party could really approach Trump’s stupidity. Can we just chalk it up to lack of troll radar?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
I ain’t gonna deny that these are valid points. :lol:

But I’m not sure any one from either party could really approach Trump’s stupidity. Can we just chalk it up to lack of troll radar?
He's like a dog with a chew toy, he's not letting go (of his opinion) no matter what happens (or how thoroughly his arguments are discredited). His single-mindedness his impressive.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
css75
Level3
Level3

Post by css75 »

JohnStOnge wrote:
Ibanez wrote:
Here's where you are wrong. Hitler blamed the Jews for losing the war, bread lines, poor economy, everything that was going wrong in the country. Trump hasn't blamed illegal immigrants for that ****. Trump has blamed Obama. But guess what? Obama blamed Bush. Bush blamed Clinton. Clinton blamed...you get where I'm going with this. Trump blamed leadership, not a group of people for the problem..
Trump has clearly blamed illegal immigrants for things. And it's not just "illegal" immigrants. Remember: People who come here asking for asylum are not illegal immigrants. What he's done is talk about crime, murder, etc. You know, exploiting things like the Kate Steinle thing where it is clear that the illegal immigrant did not intentionally shoot her but Trump and others point to it as an example of the vicious illegal immigrants randomly killing people.

Have you gone completely mad? Who the hell was he shooting at if not her? The only reason the asylum claims are made is it our stupid laws opened a loophole.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mainejeff
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Re: RE: Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination Process Mega-thread

Post by mainejeff »

UNI88 wrote:
mainejeff wrote:
So now what someone says matters? How come there is a different set of rules for Trump?

:coffee:
Jeff, CID doesn't support or excuse Trump. He does like to point out double standards and hypocrisy and his posts are usually spot on accurate.

People who disagree with you on some points aren't necessarily against you on every point.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Could fooled me. Seems like too many of you are overly obsessed with tit for tat rather than dealing with actual issues.

Go Black Bears!
mainejeff
Level4
Level4

Post by mainejeff »

CID1990 wrote:
mainejeff wrote:
So now what someone says matters? How come there is a different set of rules for Trump?

Given the direction of the populist left? Absolutely it matters when a Democrat talks in terms of liberty.

No matter how they package it - the desire for a command economy centered on an urban controlled powerful central government.. brought about by the dissolution of the representative republic through direct elections and disarming citizens...

You are damn straight - when a democrat commits the heresy of talking about personal liberties - you had better believe it matters. Buttigieg right now is the only candidate who speaks to the Obama voters who switched to Trump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drama queen.

Go Black Bears!
mainejeff
Level4
Level4

Post by mainejeff »

Ibanez wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
The tools mayors once had to affect local crime rates have largely gone away (tell the police chief to kick some ass).

All they really have now is to look the other way when the police chief cooks the books. (Joe Riley)

TBH, I think it speaks to the guy’s integrity that he at least tried.. in spite of the futility.. and didn’t resort to lying about crime stats.

Yeah but he's a homosexual, Christian Democrat War Vet so he's screwed.
You guys will sing his praises publicly but would NEVER vote for him privately. :nod: ;)

Go Black Bears!
mainejeff
Level4
Level4

Post by mainejeff »

Ibanez wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:
I didn‘t say it did matter. But when you are gay and have a name Peter Buttigieg, that is going to be made fun of. Its like the former NASCAR driver Dick Trickle. You can’t make that stuff up. So when someone calls him Peter Buttifvck, or similar, why do you get bent out of shape?

It was Ivy:
http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/ ... k#p1240940

I like pointing out hypocrisy and bullshit that I see. You, MaineJeff, Dback and Citgrad are reliably ig

Also it may be a bit of sensitivity on my part since my First and Last name make a word and i still have to hear that crap in my mid-30s. :twocents:
You don't really know any of us so just STFU.

Go Black Bears!
mainejeff
Level4
Level4

Post by mainejeff »

Ibanez wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:
I probably know just as much about Hitler and the rise of the NAZI party in Germany as you do. But feel free to tell me about what you think I don't already know and see if it changes my perception.
Look at JSO, stepping up to the plate. What you don’t know UNDERSTAND about Hitler and Nazism could fill volumes. You may know something but you sure as shit don’t understand it. And to suggest that we are living under a Hitler is just false.

Please show me people being rounded up and forced into ghettos or camps.

Show me the racial purity laws that have been proposed and/or signed into law.

Show me the social programs like Social Security or vast infrastructure programs that have come out of this administration.

Has the GOP usurped government?

Please correlate Nazi policies to something Trump has done.

Rhetoric is one thing - actions are another.

Your move, Orange Crush.

They will come in Trump's second term.

Go Black Bears!
mainejeff
Level4
Level4

Post by mainejeff »

AZGrizFan wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:
There is no way Obama crowds were mind numbed zombies like Trump crowds are. Anybody who has watched Trump rallies knows that. By "scapegoating" I mean zeroing in on things like illegal immigrants and muslims. With Hitler it was the Jews.

All Obama's said about the economy stuff is that the turnaround occurred during his Administration. And it's the truth. And what has Trump accomplished that Obama said was not possible? I'm guessing it's something like people saying that sustained 3% GDP growth rate was not possible. Maybe it is and maybe it's not. But it hasn't happened under the Trump Administration so I don't know how that relates.

Anyway, what did Obama himself say was not possible that you say has been done?

If you want to look for bullshit you need look no farther than Trump saying the economy was a mess before he took over and now it's turned around and is great. It was not a mess before he took over and it's pretty much the same economy now as it's been for the past 10 years.
Jesus. You, the self proclaimed libertarian, have become a full on, cock-sucking Obama apologist. Never thought I’d see the day.
We never thought that we would see Donald Trump in the White House.

Go Black Bears!
mainejeff
Level4
Level4

Post by mainejeff »

Notice how the white supremacists on this board get all riled up when Trump is compared to Hitler? They supposedly don't care about or like him.......yeah.....right. :roll:

Go Black Bears!
mainejeff
Level4
Level4

Post by mainejeff »

By the way.....Mayor Pete will destroy Beto's candidacy. 2 younger white guys....one is smart.....one is dumb.
Go Black Bears!
mainejeff
Level4
Level4

Post by mainejeff »

My Final 4:

Biden
Mayor Pete
Harris
Sanders
Go Black Bears!
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

mainejeff wrote:My Final 4:

Biden
Mayor Pete
Harris
Sanders
A young and female Bernie

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

kalm wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: Don’t you mean “Ibanez’s post”? I don’t know about “deep thinking,” but his monomania — there, I said it — leads him to take outlandish positions in his never-ending quest to change the reality that Trump is our President. You see a “mob attack”? I see a group effort to correct flagrant intellectual dishonesty.

He's comparing Trump to Hitler. JSO is wrong. Anyone comparing any American President to Hitler is wrong. We just are not that. And 'similarities', I'm sure we can find decent, upstanding people all day and say there is something similar between them and Hitler but that doesn't make them like Hitler. I'll say it again, Mrs CCU is a vegetarian as is Lil CCU, that's something they have in common with Hitler. That doesn't make them like Hitler.

Anyone can get a crowd fired up. Obama did it. Trump does it. "random celebrity/talking head" can do it. That doesn't make you a Hitler. I've challenged JSO to give me clear examples of how Trump is like Hitler and he's failed to do so. What's that tell you?

Putting aside the holocaust, has a vast majority of the electorate come on board with Trump and his policies, allowing racial/prejudicial social policies become law?

If you're going to make a case that Trump reminds you of one of the most evil, vile, authoritative leaders we've seen in the past 100 years you better come up with something more than his ability to give a rousing speech to supporters.

Call Trump a bad leader, a prick, whatever all day. Because he is. But Hitler? He couldn't hold Hitler's jock.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

mainejeff wrote:Notice how the white supremacists on this board get all riled up when Trump is compared to Hitler? They supposedly don't care about or like him.......yeah.....right. :roll:

You really are a fucking imbecile. The only "white supremacist" on this board might be CitGrad. Gannon, Ivy and myself are far from that. In fact, we all are fairly critical of Trump on a regular basis. We're hardly supporters. I didn't even vote for the SOB. But you would actually have to remove your head from the sand and do some reading to learn that.

You honestly are no better than Trump supporters. You've got the same mentality as them. You just root for a different team. :twocents:
Last edited by Ibanez on Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Ibanez wrote:
kalm wrote:

He's comparing Trump to Hitler. JSO is wrong. Anyone comparing any American President to Hitler is wrong. We just are not that. And 'similarities', I'm sure we can find decent, upstanding people all day and say there is something similar between them and Hitler but that doesn't make them like Hitler. I'll say it again, Mrs CCU is a vegetarian as is Lil CCU, that's something they have in common with Hitler. That doesn't make them like Hitler.

Anyone can get a crowd fired up. Obama did it. Trump does it. "random celebrity/talking head" can do it. That doesn't make you a Hitler. I've challenged JSO to give me clear examples of how Trump is like Hitler and he's failed to do so. What's that tell you?

Putting aside the holocaust, has a vast majority of the electorate come on board with Trump and his policies, allowing racial/prejudicial social policies become law?

If you're going to make a case that Trump reminds you of one of the most evil, vile, authoritative leaders we've seen in the past 100 years you better come up with something more than his ability to give a rousing speech to supporters.

Call Trump a bad leader, a prick, whatever all day. Because he is. But Hitler? He couldn't hold Hitler's jock.
Trump reminds me of Henry VIII, not just because of his many wives and flings, but how he does his own thing, whether it's good for the country or not. And he has very little diplomacy or tact.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Gil Dobie wrote:
Ibanez wrote: He's comparing Trump to Hitler. JSO is wrong. Anyone comparing any American President to Hitler is wrong. We just are not that. And 'similarities', I'm sure we can find decent, upstanding people all day and say there is something similar between them and Hitler but that doesn't make them like Hitler. I'll say it again, Mrs CCU is a vegetarian as is Lil CCU, that's something they have in common with Hitler. That doesn't make them like Hitler.

Trump reminds me of Henry VIII, not just because of his many wives and flings, but how he does his own thing, whether it's good for the country or not. And he has very little diplomacy or tact.
:lol:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

mainejeff wrote:By the way.....Mayor Pete will destroy Beto's candidacy. 2 younger white guys....one is smart.....one is dumb.
I like Pete, I think he can be the real deal as long as the DNC doesn't rig the primary like last time.