2020 Democratic Nomination Process Mega-thread

Political discussions
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination Process Mega-thread

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont received donations from an estimated 1.4 million people through the end of 2019 — far more than any other candidate in the Democratic primary race, according to fund-raising records filed with the Federal Election Commission. The map [in link below] shows his expansive donor base around the country, including in Iowa, whose caucuses will be held on Monday.

Mr. Sanders is powering his campaign with small donations from supporters across the United States, and he collected roughly $95 million from donors in 2019 without holding a single high-dollar fund-raising event.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... onors.html

No other 2020 candidate for president, including Donald Trump, can come close to matching Bernie Sanders’ level of support among members of the U.S. military, to go by the most recent campaign finance data from the Federal Election Commission.

Soldiers, sailors, airmen, and Marines have donated a total of $185,625 to Sen. Sanders’ 2020 campaign. By comparison, they have given $113,012 to Trump, $80,250 to Pete Buttigieg, $64,604 to Sen. Elizabeth Warren, and a relatively paltry $33,045 to former Vice President Joe Biden, according to Doug Weber, a senior researcher at the Center for Responsive Politics
https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... ps-946188/
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

The impeachment charade is almost done now. Joe Bidens numbers will plummet now and probably drop out.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

kalm wrote:Funny on so many levels.

:rofl:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-e ... s-n1128476
:lol: :lol:

He did get this part right, "maybe I'm f---ing deluding myself here"

:lol:
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

kalm wrote:Funny on so many levels.

:rofl:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-e ... s-n1128476
Is that pious fraud still married to the Heinz ketchup fortune?
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

HI54UNI wrote:Des Moines Register spikes the story on their Iowa Poll that was supposed to be released tonight with the lead story in the Sunday paper. Excuse is one of the call center people failed to read off all the names. Lot of speculation about the poll showing how well Bernie is doing and how poorly Biden is doing so story got spiked.

:suspicious:
And they changed their debate rules so Bloomberg could get in.
https://www.businessinsider.com/dnc-deb ... ion-2020-2

DNC is pulling out all the stops to stop Bernie, prop up Biden, and come up with a backup plan (Bloomberg). :lol:
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Bernie, Biden and Bloomberg. Great plan for the party of diversity. :rofl:
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

Speaking of diversity, Liz Warren is in a heap big pile of trouble in Nevada

A half-dozen women of color have departed Elizabeth Warren’s Nevada campaign in the run-up to the state’s caucuses with complaints of a toxic work environment in which minorities felt tokenized and senior leadership was at loggerheads.

The six staffers have left the roughly 70-person Nevada team since November, during a critical stretch of the race. Three of them said they felt marginalized by the campaign, a situation they said didn’t change or worsened after they took their concerns to their superiors or to human resources staff.

“During the time I was employed with Nevada for Warren, there was definitely something wrong with the culture,” said Megan Lewis, a field organizer who joined the campaign in May and departed in December. “I filed a complaint with HR, but the follow-up I received left me feeling as though I needed to make myself smaller or change who I was to fit into the office culture.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/02/0 ... ada-111595
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Joe Walsh ends his campaign.

He was quoted as saying: "Kinda bent, but we ain't breakin' in the long run"
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

CAA Flagship wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:36 am Joe Walsh ends his campaign.

He took it to the limit.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Winterborn wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:45 am

He took it to the limit.
Life's been good to him so far.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

89Hen wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:55 am

He took it to the limit.
He was right, love will keep us alive.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Winterborn wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:59 am
89Hen wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:55 am

But be careful, it's dangerous living Life in the Fast Lane.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

CAA Flagship wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:30 am
Winterborn wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:59 am

It is a Tragedy that One of These Nights we will all end up Alone.

CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Winterborn wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:43 am
CAA Flagship wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:30 am
It is a Tragedy that One of These Nights we will all end up Alone.
.......on a dark desert highway
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

He'll find out that it wasn't all just Wasted Time.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

https://www.foxnews.com/media/carville- ... damn-minds

James Carville gets it:
"We just had an election in 2018. We did great. We talked about everything we needed to talk about and we won," he said in a Vox interview published on Friday. "And now it’s like we’re losing our damn minds. Someone’s got to step their game up here."
Carville added that he considered himself a "liberal" rather than a centrist -- but Democrats went too far even for him. "They’ve tacked off the damn radar screen," he said when asked if the party moved too far left. His comments came just after another interview in which he said he was "scared to death" after Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., netted a large portion of the vote in Iowa's caucuses.
According to Carville, both Sanders and Sens. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., were pushing "stupid" ideas about higher education. "Democrats talking about free college tuition or debt forgiveness. I’m not here to debate the idea. What I can tell you is that people all over this country worked their way through school, sent their kids to school, paid off student loans. They don’t want to hear this s--t. And you saw Warren confronted by an angry voter over this. It’s just not a winning message," he said. Carville was referring to a tense interaction in which a father blasted Warren for forgiving student debt after he and his daughter worked to pay off her loans.
Carville also took a shot at Sanders for saying that he wanted to expand voting rights for people like the Boston bomber. Sanders, the well-known Democratic strategist suggested, would be ineffective as president and wasn't representative of the Democratic Party. Instead, Carville said, he is an "ideologue." "[H]ere’s what I do know: Sanders might get 280 electoral votes and win the presidency and maybe we keep the House," Carville said. "But there’s no chance in hell we’ll ever win the Senate with Sanders at the top of the party defining it for the public ...So long as McConnell runs the Senate, it’s game over. There’s no chance we’ll change the courts and nothing will happen, and he’ll just be sitting up there screaming in the microphone about the revolution."
At one point, Carville took aim at a New York Times writer, who posted a "snarky tweet" about Louisiana State University (LSU) -- Carville's alma mater. "You know how f-----g patronizing that is to people in the South or in the middle of the country? First, LSU has an unusually high graduation rate, but that’s not the point. It’s the goddamn smugness. This is from a guy who lives in New York and serves on the Times editorial board and there’s not a single person he knows that doesn’t pat him on the back for that kind of tweet. He’s so f-----g smart.
Gonna be a bloodbath, donks. :nod: :nod: :nod:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/harry- ... ourse-2020

Even Harry Reid gets it:
Former Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid had some harsh words for his party's presidential candidates, rejecting some of their health care and immigration policies as too extreme to resonate with voters in a general election. Reid, during a newly published interview with Vice, specifically took aim at "Medicare-for-all" and calls by many candidates to decriminalize illegal border crossings. The blunt-talking former Nevada senator suggested any Democratic nominee running on these issues could face trouble.
People want a fair immigration system. They don’t want an open-door invitation for everybody to come at once,” Reid said in the interview with Vice. When asked if supporting decriminalization could be bad for Democrats in 2020, Reid said, “Of course it is.”
Reid accused Democrats of not having their priorities in order going into the election. “There are so many more important things to do. Decriminalizing border crossings is not something that should be at the top of the list,” he said, stating that “it should be way, way down at the bottom.”
Reid also argued that his party has it wrong when it comes to health care by pushing for drastic new systems like “Medicare-for-all” instead of retooling what voters already use. “I think that we should focus on improving ObamaCare,” he said, echoing a point made by former Vice President Joe Biden. “We can do that – without bringing something that would be much harder to sell.”
As with the immigration policies espoused by many 2020 candidates, Reid said “of course” a platform of single-payer health care would be problematic for any nominee next year. “How are you going to get it passed?” he wondered. Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., is the most prominent supporter of "Medicare-for-all," but the policy has steadily gained support in recent years, including from influential freshman members of Congress.
Reid is not endorsing any candidates just yet as he is waiting for the Nevada caucuses, which are scheduled for Feb. 22, 2020, just weeks after the opening primary contests in Iowa and New Hampshire.
Gonna be a bloodbath, donks! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:58 pm The impeachment charade is almost done now. Joe Bidens numbers will plummet now and probably drop out.
It was not a charade. There was evidence beyond a reasonable doubt that Trump did what he was accused of and there very well could've been even stronger evidence if the Senate had pursued documents and additional witnesses.

However, I do think Biden is in trouble. I think Trump got extremely lucky again by virtue of what Hunter Biden did. Joe Biden didn't do anything wrong in expressing US policy. But the fact that Hunter Biden did what he did gave Trump and allies a chance to distort things. And what Hunter Biden did was indeed unseemly. I think it did put doubt in Democrat primary voters minds about Biden. I think without what Hunter Biden did Trump would be in serious trouble.

Another thing that has Biden in trouble is the response of the mainstream media. They have this thing about Iowa and New Hampshire. The two States will have 82 delegates combined among 4,750 to be earned during the primaries. Everybody knows Biden's strength is among non White voters and these are two States with >90% White populations. They incessantly broadcast that Biden has NO chance if he doesn't do well in either of those first two States. I think that has impacts when the most important factor to Democrat primary voters is "who can win?"
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

JohnStOnge wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:19 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:58 pm The impeachment charade is almost done now. Joe Bidens numbers will plummet now and probably drop out.
It was not a charade. There was evidence beyond a reasonable doubt that Trump did what he was accused of and there very well could've been even stronger evidence if the Senate had pursued documents and additional witnesses.

However, I do think Biden is in trouble. I think Trump got extremely lucky again by virtue of what Hunter Biden did. Joe Biden didn't do anything wrong in expressing US policy. But the fact that Hunter Biden did what he did gave Trump and allies a chance to distort things. And what Hunter Biden did was indeed unseemly. I think it did put doubt in Democrat primary voters minds about Biden. I think without what Hunter Biden did Trump would be in serious trouble.

Another thing that has Biden in trouble is the response of the mainstream media. They have this thing about Iowa and New Hampshire. The two States will have 82 delegates combined among 4,750 to be earned during the primaries. Everybody knows Biden's strength is among non White voters and these are two States with >90% White populations. They incessantly broadcast that Biden has NO chance if he doesn't do well in either of those first two States. I think that has impacts when the most important factor to Democrat primary voters is "who can win?"
How many witnesses that were called by Republicans were allowed to testify in the House hearings?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:57 pm https://www.foxnews.com/politics/harry- ... ourse-2020

Even Harry Reid gets it:
Former Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid had some harsh words for his party's presidential candidates, rejecting some of their health care and immigration policies as too extreme to resonate with voters in a general election. Reid, during a newly published interview with Vice, specifically took aim at "Medicare-for-all" and calls by many candidates to decriminalize illegal border crossings. The blunt-talking former Nevada senator suggested any Democratic nominee running on these issues could face trouble.
People want a fair immigration system. They don’t want an open-door invitation for everybody to come at once,” Reid said in the interview with Vice. When asked if supporting decriminalization could be bad for Democrats in 2020, Reid said, “Of course it is.”
Reid accused Democrats of not having their priorities in order going into the election. “There are so many more important things to do. Decriminalizing border crossings is not something that should be at the top of the list,” he said, stating that “it should be way, way down at the bottom.”
Reid also argued that his party has it wrong when it comes to health care by pushing for drastic new systems like “Medicare-for-all” instead of retooling what voters already use. “I think that we should focus on improving ObamaCare,” he said, echoing a point made by former Vice President Joe Biden. “We can do that – without bringing something that would be much harder to sell.”
As with the immigration policies espoused by many 2020 candidates, Reid said “of course” a platform of single-payer health care would be problematic for any nominee next year. “How are you going to get it passed?” he wondered. Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., is the most prominent supporter of "Medicare-for-all," but the policy has steadily gained support in recent years, including from influential freshman members of Congress.
Reid is not endorsing any candidates just yet as he is waiting for the Nevada caucuses, which are scheduled for Feb. 22, 2020, just weeks after the opening primary contests in Iowa and New Hampshire.
Gonna be a bloodbath, donks! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I agree with Carville and Reid but they're going to be called DINOs, sell-outs or similar just like Romney and Amash have been called names
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

SeattleGriz wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:35 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:19 pm

How many witnesses that were called by Republicans were allowed to testify in the House hearings?
I never heard of them wanting to call any witnesses that had relevant testimony. But, in any case, we didn't even need any witnesses to see that Trump did what he was accused of. The call summary he released showed that. It's just ridiculous. You know, I know, and everybody else knows that he did what he was accused of.
Could I ever be a star?

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

JohnStOnge wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:12 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:35 pm

I never heard of them wanting to call any witnesses that had relevant testimony. But, in any case, we didn't even need any witnesses to see that Trump did what he was accused of. The call summary he released showed that. It's just ridiculous. You know, I know, and everybody else knows that he did what he was accused of.
I also know Biden running his mouth bragging and Ukraine admitting to interfere in the election opened the door for Trump. You may not like it, but perfectly acceptable what Trump did.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4736 ... s-requests

8 witnesses denied.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

He took it to the limit.
He's been on the border for a while
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

SeattleGriz wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:17 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:12 pm

I also know Biden running his mouth bragging and Ukraine admitting to interfere in the election opened the door for Trump. You may not like it, but perfectly acceptable what Trump did.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4736 ... s-requests

8 witnesses denied.
No it's not. Everybody who wants to know knows that Biden was just expressing US policy. He did not even have the power to with hold any funds. There has never been anything to the thing Trump is trying to drum up on Biden. And nobody with a lick of sense thinks Trump was interested in getting the Ukrainians to announce an investigation of Biden because he was concerned about corruption.
Could I ever be a star?