2020 Democratic Nomination Process Mega-thread

Political discussions
User avatar
CID1990
Level5
Level5
Posts: 23513
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:40 am
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990
Location: กรุงเทพมหานคร

Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination Process Mega-thread

Post by CID1990 »

AZGrizFan wrote:
CID1990 wrote:Hell I’m probably going to go one better than just hanging up my voting spurs

I may well retire outside the US... somewhere with fewer nannies and scolds (that’s about 80% of the world)... and I’ll still enjoy all the overseas advantages of US citizenship without all the US citizens
:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Actively looking as we speak for where I want to expat to. Gonna be tough for anywhere to beat out Ireland at this point. 8-) 8-)
Don’t overlook Portugal - they have good incentives for expat retirees

A lot of retirees here in Thailand as well. US pension dollars go a loooong way in Chiang Mai


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris

User avatar
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 7812
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:30 am
I am a fan of: UNI
A.K.A.: Unification88
Location: On the foggy woggy banks of the Limpopo River

Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination Process Mega-thread

Post by UNI88 »

CID1990 wrote:Hell I’m probably going to go one better than just hanging up my voting spurs

I may well retire outside the US... somewhere with fewer nannies and scolds (that’s about 80% of the world)... and I’ll still enjoy all the overseas advantages of US citizenship without all the US citizens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Retiring outside of the US is looking more and more appealing. I've started reading those clickbait articles on best places to retire outside the US.

User avatar
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
Posts: 18234
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:47 pm
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination Process Mega-thread

Post by JohnStOnge »

AZGrizFan wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: It's really that simple. Even with a buffoon like Trump.
Sadly, that's the blunt truth.

I've said it many times: ALL the donks had to do was be the adult in the room. Put forth a normal, sane candidate with normal, sane policy positions. Instead, the ENTIRE field went full retard (or worse) and the entire party has singular focus on impeaching a duly elected president and it's gonna be very difficult to pull the lever for any of the current crop of Donks.
It may be difficult for you but it's probably not going to be difficult for the majority of the People. I would be willing to bet right now that, regardless of who the Democrat nominee is, that nominee will win the majority of the vote among the People overall. It's just a question of whether the Republicans can once again be saved by the Electoral College system. I think that if the election were held tomorrow and Biden was the Democrat nominee Trump would get trounced. If Sanders were the Democrat nominee I'd be willing to be Sanders would win. If Warren was the nominee I think it'd be a toss-up.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Image

User avatar
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 7812
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:30 am
I am a fan of: UNI
A.K.A.: Unification88
Location: On the foggy woggy banks of the Limpopo River

Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination Process Mega-thread

Post by UNI88 »

JohnStOnge wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
Sadly, that's the blunt truth.

I've said it many times: ALL the donks had to do was be the adult in the room. Put forth a normal, sane candidate with normal, sane policy positions. Instead, the ENTIRE field went full retard (or worse) and the entire party has singular focus on impeaching a duly elected president and it's gonna be very difficult to pull the lever for any of the current crop of Donks.
It may be difficult for you but it's probably not going to be difficult for the majority of the People. I would be willing to bet right now that, regardless of who the Democrat nominee is, that nominee will win the majority of the vote among the People overall. It's just a question of whether the Republicans can once again be saved by the Electoral College system. I think that if the election were held tomorrow and Biden was the Democrat nominee Trump would get trounced. If Sanders were the Democrat nominee I'd be willing to be Sanders would win. If Warren was the nominee I think it'd be a toss-up.
The president is not elected by the popular vote and I'm not sure there is any standard by which a real conservative could advocate for elimination of the electoral college.

I think Biden, Sanders and Warren are all benefiting from being protected within the cocoon that is the Democratic Primary. Whoever the nominee is, they will be exposed to a brighter spotlight and harsher criticism. Moderates and blue collar workers in swing states will decide the election: Biden's gaffes and senility will be magnified, Sanders and Warren will come across as pompous nags and will be hurt by the cost of their ideas. Trump's warts are already well known so I think the gap between him and any of those three will begin to narrow after the Democratic Convention.

User avatar
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 7812
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:30 am
I am a fan of: UNI
A.K.A.: Unification88
Location: On the foggy woggy banks of the Limpopo River

Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination Process Mega-thread

Post by UNI88 »

Portugal is usually high on those lists. Slovenia, Croatia, Malta and Spain usually make them as well.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

User avatar
css75
Level3
Level3
Posts: 2512
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:45 pm

Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination Process Mega-thread

Post by css75 »

Ibanez wrote:
css75 wrote:I need to clarify something here. I voted for Trump last election and will again. Though, I am not enamored by his personality, tweets and other nonsense, the Democrats have not one candidate that comes even close to representing what I stand for, so my options are limited to him. In addition, he has done some good things for the country.




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That's the problem. You do have options, even you don't think so.

1) Don't vote
2) Vote 3rd party
3) Vote Democrat


Our system could use a good 3rd Party. The other 2 have such a monopoly on the industry.
1. Uhhh, no
2. When there is a decent one, perhaps. Presently they are a throwaway vote
3. Dems are crazy, not a fan of gun control,open borders, government controlled health care, abortion, common core Ed. And higher taxes just to name a few.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
CID1990
Level5
Level5
Posts: 23513
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:40 am
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990
Location: กรุงเทพมหานคร

Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination Process Mega-thread

Post by CID1990 »

UNI88 wrote:Portugal is usually high on those lists. Slovenia, Croatia, Malta and Spain usually make them as well.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Slovenia is one of Europe’s best kept secrets. One of the greenest places on the planet. Word has been out on Croatia for some time.

Malta is really nice I have a friend who lived in Valetta for a couple years. Not sure how far retirement dollars will stretch there though


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris

User avatar
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 53433
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:40 pm
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate
Location: Just to the right of center

Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination Process Mega-thread

Post by AZGrizFan »

JohnStOnge wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
Sadly, that's the blunt truth.

I've said it many times: ALL the donks had to do was be the adult in the room. Put forth a normal, sane candidate with normal, sane policy positions. Instead, the ENTIRE field went full retard (or worse) and the entire party has singular focus on impeaching a duly elected president and it's gonna be very difficult to pull the lever for any of the current crop of Donks.
It may be difficult for you but it's probably not going to be difficult for the majority of the People. I would be willing to bet right now that, regardless of who the Democrat nominee is, that nominee will win the majority of the vote among the People overall. It's just a question of whether the Republicans can once again be saved by the Electoral College system. I think that if the election were held tomorrow and Biden was the Democrat nominee Trump would get trounced. If Sanders were the Democrat nominee I'd be willing to be Sanders would win. If Warren was the nominee I think it'd be a toss-up.
And I think you’re wrong on all three counts. Guess we’ll see in about 350 days.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Image

User avatar
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 53433
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:40 pm
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate
Location: Just to the right of center

Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination Process Mega-thread

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote:Portugal is usually high on those lists. Slovenia, Croatia, Malta and Spain usually make them as well.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Portugal? Maybe.
Eastern bloc? No thanks....

Prefer English as the primary language...Ireland, Scotland, Australia, etc.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Image

User avatar
CID1990
Level5
Level5
Posts: 23513
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:40 am
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990
Location: กรุงเทพมหานคร

Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination Process Mega-thread

Post by CID1990 »

AZGrizFan wrote:
UNI88 wrote:Portugal is usually high on those lists. Slovenia, Croatia, Malta and Spain usually make them as well.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Portugal? Maybe.
Eastern bloc? No thanks....

Prefer English as the primary language...Ireland, Scotland, Australia, etc.
Any place that speaks English

And is majority white people

Is more expensive than America

Go have a 25 cent glass of wine on the Croatian coast and watch the gals stroll by and you’ll change your tune


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris

User avatar
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 7812
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:30 am
I am a fan of: UNI
A.K.A.: Unification88
Location: On the foggy woggy banks of the Limpopo River

Re: RE: Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination Process Mega-thread

Post by UNI88 »

CID1990 wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
Portugal? Maybe.
Eastern bloc? No thanks....

Prefer English as the primary language...Ireland, Scotland, Australia, etc.
Any place that speaks English

And is majority white people

Is more expensive than America

Go have a 25 cent glass of wine on the Croatian coast and watch the gals stroll by and you’ll change your tune


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And the words "pivo prosim" will get you through the day in most of the Eastern bloc.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 53624
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:16 pm
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination Process Mega-thread

Post by Ibanez »

CID1990 wrote:
UNI88 wrote:Portugal is usually high on those lists. Slovenia, Croatia, Malta and Spain usually make them as well.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Slovenia is one of Europe’s best kept secrets. One of the greenest places on the planet. Word has been out on Croatia for some time.

Malta is really nice I have a friend who lived in Valetta for a couple years. Not sure how far retirement dollars will stretch there though


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My brother has been to Malta for conventions and he says it's incredible.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17

User avatar
CID1990
Level5
Level5
Posts: 23513
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:40 am
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990
Location: กรุงเทพมหานคร

Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination Process Mega-thread

Post by CID1990 »

Ibanez wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
Slovenia is one of Europe’s best kept secrets. One of the greenest places on the planet. Word has been out on Croatia for some time.

Malta is really nice I have a friend who lived in Valetta for a couple years. Not sure how far retirement dollars will stretch there though


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My brother has been to Malta for conventions and he says it's incredible.
Yes it is

But the expense defeats the purpose of retiring there on a fixed income

Unless you’re retired from Exxon or Bain


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris

User avatar
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 53433
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:40 pm
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate
Location: Just to the right of center

Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination Process Mega-thread

Post by AZGrizFan »

CID1990 wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
Portugal? Maybe.
Eastern bloc? No thanks....

Prefer English as the primary language...Ireland, Scotland, Australia, etc.
Any place that speaks English

And is majority white people

Is more expensive than America

Go have a 25 cent glass of wine on the Croatian coast and watch the gals stroll by and you’ll change your tune


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Didn't find Ireland more expensive. Not even remotely.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Image

User avatar
CID1990
Level5
Level5
Posts: 23513
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:40 am
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990
Location: กรุงเทพมหานคร

Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination Process Mega-thread

Post by CID1990 »

AZGrizFan wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
Any place that speaks English

And is majority white people

Is more expensive than America

Go have a 25 cent glass of wine on the Croatian coast and watch the gals stroll by and you’ll change your tune


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Didn't find Ireland more expensive. Not even remotely.
Wait until you are shopping for necessities each week - and utilities - and expat taxes - and your internetz bill

A cheap hotel room and Guinness in the pub in Belfast is not a good way to gauge livability... don’t let that wee lass in the pub fool you... she’s on basic and she has three little ginger cunt children


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris

User avatar
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 53433
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:40 pm
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate
Location: Just to the right of center

Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination Process Mega-thread

Post by AZGrizFan »

CID1990 wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
Didn't find Ireland more expensive. Not even remotely.
Wait until you are shopping for necessities each week - and utilities - and expat taxes - and your internetz bill

A cheap hotel room and Guinness in the pub in Belfast is not a good way to gauge livability... don’t let that wee lass in the pub fool you... she’s on basic and she has three little ginger cunt children


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Was looking more at property costs/values....just don't have any desire to reside permanently in areas where they don't speak English readily (and yes, one could argue it's questionable whether they do in Ireland...)
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Image

User avatar
css75
Level3
Level3
Posts: 2512
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:45 pm

Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination Process Mega-thread

Post by css75 »

New Zealand. No enemies, not over crowded.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User avatar
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 53433
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:40 pm
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate
Location: Just to the right of center

Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination Process Mega-thread

Post by AZGrizFan »

css75 wrote:New Zealand. No enemies, not over crowded.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
On my list.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Image

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 24902
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:22 pm
I am a fan of: Salisbury University
Location: Republic of Western Sussex

Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination Process Mega-thread

Post by Ivytalk »

So, if Biden wins, as opposed to Warren or Bernie, will all you guys still move to New Zealand?

Bunch of Alec Baldwins we have here.
“I’m just dealing with reality.” — JohnStOnge 12/19/19

User avatar
CID1990
Level5
Level5
Posts: 23513
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:40 am
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990
Location: กรุงเทพมหานคร

Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination Process Mega-thread

Post by CID1990 »

Ivytalk wrote:So, if Biden wins, as opposed to Warren or Bernie, will all you guys still move to New Zealand?

Bunch of Alec Baldwins we have here.
NZ is beautiful - I have close friends posted in Auckland

But NZ is another one of those majority white people Anglophone countries... it is more expensive than the US


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 24902
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:22 pm
I am a fan of: Salisbury University
Location: Republic of Western Sussex

Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination Process Mega-thread

Post by Ivytalk »

CID1990 wrote:
Ivytalk wrote:So, if Biden wins, as opposed to Warren or Bernie, will all you guys still move to New Zealand?

Bunch of Alec Baldwins we have here.
NZ is beautiful - I have close friends posted in Auckland

But NZ is another one of those majority white people Anglophone countries... it is more expensive than the US


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My wife’s brother’s whole family packed up and moved there 15 years ago. The “why” is a long story, but it’s worked for them. And they’re raving Donks to boot.
“I’m just dealing with reality.” — JohnStOnge 12/19/19

User avatar
CID1990
Level5
Level5
Posts: 23513
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:40 am
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990
Location: กรุงเทพมหานคร

Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination Process Mega-thread

Post by CID1990 »

Ivytalk wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
NZ is beautiful - I have close friends posted in Auckland

But NZ is another one of those majority white people Anglophone countries... it is more expensive than the US


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My wife’s brother’s whole family packed up and moved there 15 years ago. The “why” is a long story, but it’s worked for them. And they’re raving Donks to boot.
They fit right in, then

NZ probably has a higher concentration of Greens than any other place in tge world

Good for them, too- Kiwis are proud of their country and they take care of it

Oh and they hunt feral pigs and goats from helicopters


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris

houndawg
Level5
Level5
Posts: 17486
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:14 pm
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg
Location: Egypt

Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination Process Mega-thread

Post by houndawg »

CID1990 wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: My wife’s brother’s whole family packed up and moved there 15 years ago. The “why” is a long story, but it’s worked for them. And they’re raving Donks to boot.
They fit right in, then

NZ probably has a higher concentration of Greens than any other place in tge world

Good for them, too- Kiwis are proud of their country and they take care of it

Oh and they hunt feral pigs and goats from helicopters


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They pretty much have an open season on any animal not native, which is anything but a few birds. And if you play for the All-Blacks you have to learn all their hakas in Maori. Their hakas are so badass that the Kapa o Pango was banned from being performed before international matches.
Subvert the dominant paradigm

User avatar
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
Posts: 17415
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:59 am
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU
Location: Philly Burbs

Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination Process Mega-thread

Post by BDKJMU »

Spent 12 days in NZ last Nov on a 19 day vacation (also 3 days Sydney & 3 days travel, 1 day LA). 6 days South Island (2 nights Queenstown, 2 nights Fox Glacier, 2 nights Christ Church) and 6 days North Island (3 nights Wellington, 3 nights Auckland) doing all the tourist stuff. Of course not enough time. Beautiful country. And expensive. I would imagine the South Island would be less expensive as its the larger and less populated of the 2. Course one thing to remember is their seasons are flipped- as I recall June-Aug is winter, and Dec-Feb is summer. And being Commonwealth of Nations, they of course drive on the wrong side of the road..

User avatar
css75
Level3
Level3
Posts: 2512
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:45 pm

Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination Process Mega-thread

Post by css75 »

Also, when you flush a toilet, the water goes down in reverse of here.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Reply