Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: klam

Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination Process Mega-thread

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote:
kalm wrote:
Hey let me know if you need further explanation. I’m here for you, Z!
Yeah, I'm sure you are. Please, oh wise one, explain to me how student loans are like government subsidies.
They’re not right now. They’ve become a profit center for finance and created a bubble. Ummm that’s kind of what’s being argued about. :?

houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

JBB wrote:Hillary: 'Sanders Would Be More Likable If He'd Just Have The People Who Don't Like Him Assassinated'
U.S.—Hillary Clinton had some helpful advice for the Bernie Sanders campaign after she claimed nobody likes him.

In a candid moment, she told the interviewer that if she were running the Sanders campaign, the vocal critics would find themselves "swimming with the fishes."

"Look, if you want to be likable in politics, you've got to be willing to fight for it, and maybe kill for it," she said. "The absolute number of people that like Bernie may not go up, but the percentage of surviving people who like him will increase. And the people who still don't like him wouldn't want to say anything. The best kind of likability is the kind that comes when people are too afraid to speak up against you."

"I want people to be afraid of how much they love me," she added.

Many political commentators quickly condemned her remarks but have since turned up dead.
Shouldn't you be at church molesting children, preacher boy?
Subvert the dominant paradigm

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
Yeah, I'm sure you are. Please, oh wise one, explain to me how student loans are like government subsidies.
They’re not right now. They’ve become a profit center for finance and created a bubble. Ummm that’s kind of what’s being argued about. :?
:rofl: :rofl:

They aren’t owned by “finance”.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote:
kalm wrote:
:rofl: :rofl:

They aren’t owned by “finance”.
Some are and most are owned by the government and FED including those originated by private lenders. They’re secured by the government. So tax payers assume the default risks while private lenders make the easy profit. Hence, they’re a profit center for finance and another government driven bubble.

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

mainejeff2 wrote:This thread should close up shop.....Trump wins in a landslide no matter who the nominee is. :thumb:

I don't like Trump but I am LOVING the fact that he is making me (and millions of other liberals) RICH. :nod: It's definitely the silver ling to his Presidency. In fact....I bet that more people that hate him are benefiting from him than most of the poor saps that voted for him. :nod: You think that those most of those pep rally yahoos have stock investments? ;) :lol:

All Hail Trump! $$$ :notworthy:
I think most of those "pep rally yahoos" have some form of 401k, yes. And they are definitely benefiting. Just like you.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12

HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Dems really working for the Iowa caucus trying to get every vote. We're getting Bernie flyers in the mail even though wife and I are both registered as Rs. Today I was outside scraping some ice off the driveway. A car pulls up and a woman gets out and asks if I am "John Doe". I said yes and she introduced herself and told me that she was campaigning for Warren. She asked me if I had made a decision yet and I told her that I would not be voting for Warren. We then had a polite conversation about Warren and why I wouldn't be voting for her.

Someone must've signed me up on some Dem list somewhere because I can't figure out why any Dem campaign would come and ask for me specifically.
All my posts are satire.

JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

mainejeff2 wrote:This thread should close up shop.....Trump wins in a landslide no matter who the nominee is. :thumb:

I don't like Trump but I am LOVING the fact that he is making me (and millions of other liberals) RICH. :nod: It's definitely the silver ling to his Presidency. In fact....I bet that more people that hate him are benefiting from him than most of the poor saps that voted for him. :nod: You think that those most of those pep rally yahoos have stock investments? ;) :lol:

I'm feeling giddy rich, just like January of 2008. :|

Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

1. Joe Rogan on his podcast with Bari Weiss says he's considering voting for Bernie sanders.

2. Bernie quotes Rogan's praise on Twitter.

3. Twitter woke warriors and transgender groups outraged Bernie would tweet because of Rogan remarks about gender and that he has guys like Jordan Peterson and Alex Jones on the podcast.

4. Hillary Clinton pounces, saying Rogan's "transphobia" kills people. Biden speaks up, too.

Democrats suck soooooo bad at politics. :lol:
We get the government we deserve. :nod:

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Pwns wrote:1. Joe Rogan on his podcast with Bari Weiss says he's considering voting for Bernie sanders.

2. Bernie quotes Rogan's praise on Twitter.

3. Twitter woke warriors and transgender groups outraged Bernie would tweet because of Rogan remarks about gender and that he has guys like Jordan Peterson and Alex Jones on the podcast.

4. Hillary Clinton pounces, saying Rogan's "transphobia" kills people. Biden speaks up, too.

Democrats suck soooooo bad at politics. :lol:
Yep!

TYT guests hosts criticized Bernie’s promotion too.

It’s not as if Rogan made some announcement. Weiss just asked him who he was voting for in the primary. He said Bernie because he’s not full of shit. Ironically Rogan gets accused of being alt-right and he’s supporting Bernie fucking Sanders. :rofl:

Oh and he made fun of gays and race once. Because he’s fucking stand up comedian.

CID’s purity test predictions coming home. :nod:

houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

AZGrizFan wrote:

I think most of those "pep rally yahoos" have some form of 401k, yes. And they are definitely benefiting. Just like you.
most of them are paid to be there - extra if they hold a sign. :coffee:

houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

AZGrizFan wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote:
I hope all kids today aren't burdened with future student loans, and they'll be able to put the money saved back into the economy, stocks, charities, retirement, pleasure, or whatever they desire.

An educated population has the best ROI of anything a society can invest into.
You obviously have ZERO clue how the student loan program works in this country.

Are you prepared for another $1.5 Trillion bailout? :dunce: :dunce:
We do it for banks and oil companies all the time, why not? :?

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

houndawg wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
You obviously have ZERO clue how the student loan program works in this country.

Sshhhh. Z thinks he’s on to something.

∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

kalm wrote:
houndawg wrote:
Funny thing is that bailouts for the general population can be quickly recirculated back into the economy. The taxpayer money isn't "lost" as much as repurposed more efficiently. We'd very much benefit if we wiped out student debt.

Bailouts for companies overwhelmingly benefit a handful of vested people, and that money is inefficiently recirculated back into the economy, or even lost as it's stashed away and can't "work" anymore. You actually saw that inefficiency and slow growth with how Obama handled the recession's recovery, by bailing out a handful of "key" sectors and organizations. Compare that to the relatively quick recovery after the depression when money was put directly into the general population's hands through public works programs.

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

mainejeff2 wrote:Am I allowed to hate Bernie Sanders because he wants to take MY money & give it to others?
Yes. This America. You’re allowed to feel and be selfish any way you’d like.

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

houndawg wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:

I was against the bank bailout when it happened. Would love to know what oil companies we’ve bailed out.

I’ll wait for your answer/proof.

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

∞∞∞ wrote:
kalm wrote:
Funny thing is that bailouts for the general population can be quickly recirculated back into the economy. The taxpayer money isn't "lost" as much as repurposed more efficiently. We'd very much benefit if we wiped out student debt.

Bailouts for companies overwhelmingly benefit a handful of vested people, and that money is inefficiently recirculated back into the economy, or even lost as it's stashed away and can't "work" anymore. You actually saw that inefficiency and slow growth with how Obama handled the recession's recovery, by bailing out a handful of "key" sectors and organizations. Compare that to the relatively quick recovery after the depression when money was put directly into the general population's hands through public works programs.
Bailing out an entire generation of people for their piss poor choices WRT college?

No thanks. You wanna pay $200k for a basketweaving degree, that’s on you, dip shit. (Not YOU, specifically, trip...but those who fit that mold—and there’s a shitload of them).

houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

AZGrizFan wrote:
houndawg wrote:
I was against the bank bailout when it happened. Would love to know what oil companies we’ve bailed out.

Their annual subsidies rival the pentagon's budget. :coffee:

You can call it something different if you want to - but it's still our money.

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

houndawg wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:

Similar can be said for the Pentagon's budget which, like bank bailouts is also something Z is supposedly against. We can't afford subsidized education because were not done bombing the middle east yet.

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

houndawg wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:

No shit, sherlock. Every dime the government spends is our money. When you and other people start realizing that, we'll all be a lot better off.

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote:
houndawg wrote:

Similar can be said for the Pentagon's budget which, like bank bailouts is also something Z is supposedly against. We can't afford subsidized education because were not done bombing the middle east yet.
Supposedly? :suspicious: :suspicious: :suspicious:
It's a but more complicated than that, but sadly, that's pretty close. :nod: :nod:

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

∞∞∞ wrote:
kalm wrote:

I agree that an educated population is good for society and the economy. I would argue that:

- There is much more to education than college and trade schools should be emphasized more.

- Making college free will reduce the value of college. Students who don't have "skin in the game" won't be as worried if they aren't doing well. The drop out rate will increase. Employers will also place less value on bachelors degrees and the demand for graduate degrees will increase. We'll increase the time required and just shift the costs to another level.

- If people want help paying for college, the GI Bill is already available.

I've asked this question before but don't think I've ever gotten an answer. How will the government pay off private student loans? It's one thing to forgive money owed for Perkins and Stafford loans but what about Sallie Mae, College Ave, Discover, etc.? The government would have to reimburse them.

If paying off the outstanding loans would be so beneficial to the economy why not take it one step further and just reimburse people regardless of how they paid for college. It would help bring the fiscally irresponsible out of debt and put actual money in the pockets of people who know how to manage it. They could use it for a down payment on a house, a vacation, etc. That would boost the economy even more than focusing just on student loans.

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

houndawg wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:

Nope. Taking less tax $$ from the oil companies (who are operating under the same tax laws as everyone else) doesn't equal a bailout, or a subsidy.

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: Funny thing is that bailouts for the general population can be quickly recirculated back into the economy. The taxpayer money isn't "lost" as much as repurposed more efficiently. We'd very much benefit if we wiped out student debt.

I agree that an educated population is good for society and the economy. I would argue that:

- There is much more to education than college and trade schools should be emphasized more.

- Making college free will reduce the value of college. Students who don't have "skin in the game" won't be as worried if they aren't doing well. The drop out rate will increase. Employers will also place less value on bachelors degrees and the demand for graduate degrees will increase. We'll increase the time required and just shift the costs to another level.

I've asked this question before but don't think I've ever gotten an answer. How will the government pay off private student loans? It's one thing to forgive money owed for Perkins and Stafford loans but what about Sallie Mae, College Ave, Discover, etc.? The government would have to reimburse them.

If paying off the outstanding loans would be so beneficial to the economy why not take it one step further and just reimburse people regardless of how they paid for college. It would help bring the fiscally irresponsible out of debt and put actual money in the pockets of people who know how to manage it. They could use it for a down payment on a house, a vacation, etc. That would boost the economy even more than focusing just on student loans.
How does that possibly help the economy? We're talking about $1.6 TRILLION dollars. Again: EVERY DOLLAR THEY SPEND IS OUR MONEY. To get that amount, they'd have to raise taxes like a motherfucker, spin it through the incredibly inept government machine, waste 9/10ths of it and spit out about 1/10th of it on the other side, and then redistribute it like the benevolent being that they are.

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote:
UNI88 wrote:

How does that possibly help the economy? We're talking about $1.6 TRILLION dollars. Again: EVERY DOLLAR THEY SPEND IS OUR MONEY. To get that amount, they'd have to raise taxes like a motherfucker, spin it through the incredibly inept government machine, waste 9/10ths of it and spit out about 1/10th of it on the other side, and then redistribute it like the benevolent being that they are.
It's all backed by unicorns and fairy dust. Just fudge the numbers. It's not like we gotta run out to Knox and make sure there's enough gold to back the debt payoff.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17

HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

AZGrizFan wrote:
UNI88 wrote:

Haven't you learned anything from AOC? Just print it.

:roll: :ohno:

phpBB [video]
All my posts are satire.