Political discussions
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: 2020 Republican Primary Thread

Post by BDKJMU »

So now that the GOP convention is leaving Charlotte, where does it go? I’m thinking Jacksonville..

Could be a 100 million economic boost for whatever city gets it..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:27 pm So now that the GOP convention is leaving Charlotte, where does it go? I’m thinking Jacksonville..

WTF is the point of a convention for an incumbent? The RNC has a contract with Charlotte, so either way CLT is going to get some money out of the convention.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Well, the Trumpian thing to do would be to just not honor the contract, refuse to pay up, and not make it worth their while to take it to court. So, I'm sure that's at least being considered at the moment. :lol:
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:02 am
BDKJMU wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:27 pm So now that the GOP convention is leaving Charlotte, where does it go? I’m thinking Jacksonville..

WTF is the point of a convention for an incumbent? The RNC has a contract with Charlotte, so either way CLT is going to get some money out of the convention.
Reagan, Clinton, W, Obama, etc etc all had them. What incumbent president hasn't had one?

The RNC as a contract with Charlotte which I'm sure lays out parameters. Would the contract be voided if parts of what's laid out in the contract isn't allowed? I'm sure there will be legal wrangling.
Last edited by BDKJMU on Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:09 am Well, the Trumpian thing to do would be to just not honor the contract, refuse to pay up, and not make it worth their while to take it to court. So, I'm sure that's at least being considered at the moment. :lol:
Who's not honoring the contract by not allowing a full convention?
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

The NC governor has been a COMPLETE hypocrite.
-Like ever other donk gov, was against the April-May reopen protests because they violated the ban on large gatherings with not everyone social distancing & wearing masks.
-Like every other donk gov, supports the Floyd protests that violate the ban on large gatherings, with almost no social distancing & not everyone wearing masks. Cooper even joined them with his mask dangling.
-Says can't allow a full convention because of the ban on large gathering, need for social distancing..
https://www.bizpacreview.com/2020/06/03 ... owd-929298
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:02 pm
Ibanez wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:02 am

Reagan, Clinton, W, Obama, etc etc all had them. What incumbent president hasn't had one?

The RNC as a contract with Charlotte which I'm sure lays out parameters. Would the contract be voided if parts of what's laid out in the contract isn't allowed? I'm sure there will be legal wrangling.
I know that, genius. It still is kind of stupid to have a nominating convention for an incumbent.

The RNC contract states that both Charlotte and the RNC will abide by local and state laws. The Governors order over groups of people is the problem. These are extraordinary circumstances that last year neither the RNC or CLT could've predicted - I hope tonight when all the parties meet that they work something out.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:27 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:02 pm

I know that, genius. It still is kind of stupid to have a nominating convention for an incumbent.

The RNC contract states that both Charlotte and the RNC will abide by local and state laws. The Governors order over groups of people is the problem. These are extraordinary circumstances that last year neither the RNC or CLT could've predicted - I hope tonight when all the parties meet that they work something out.
Ah, that order that the NC gov is ignoring for protesters right now..
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:06 pm The NC governor has been a COMPLETE hypocrite.
-Like ever other donk gov, was against the April-May reopen protests because they violated the ban on large gatherings with not everyone social distancing & wearing masks.
-Like every other donk gov, supports the Floyd protests that violate the ban on large gatherings, with almost no social distancing & not everyone wearing masks. Cooper even joined them with his mask dangling.
-Says can't allow a full convention because of the ban on large gathering, need for social distancing..
https://www.bizpacreview.com/2020/06/03 ... owd-929298
Sincere question - why can't a governor do something if it might be in the public's best interest - especially when it comes to public health? Limited free assembly and free speech is a dangerous precedent and I do not envy any politician that has to make a decision to restrict one. I recognize the irony that's involved here, I really do. But this shouldn't be a shocker. Trump has been quite hypocritical. Pelosi, Graham, etc... they've all shown their hypocrisy in recent months.

Hypocrisy and hyperbole are Trump's M.O.

But you've got to admit that it's quite hypocritical, if not at all dangerous, for the President's administration to say we should social distance and then have the President egg on the protesters that went to the State Houses. You have to admit it's hypocritical for the President to call for one thing and then side with those that oppose it. To tell Iran and Beijing to be nice to protesters and then gas them he can political grandstand in front of a church. Not even go in. Or read a passage or say a prayer or meet with the clergy. Just to take a picture to show his base he has "strength."
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:34 pm
Ibanez wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:27 pm

So you'd want Cooper to violate their right to free speech and assembly? It's a tough situation to be in.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:37 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:34 pm
So you'd want Cooper to violate their right to free speech and assembly? It's a tough situation to be in.
You either have a ban on large gatherings, or you don't. You can't allow it for some, and not allow for others..
Is the convention also not free speech and assembly?
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:41 pm
Ibanez wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:37 pm

You either have a ban on large gatherings, or you don't. You can't allow it for some, and not allow for others..
Is the convention also not free speech and assembly?
I don't disagree. See my "irony" comment above. But we both know the answer has to do with politics. It's why Trump had no issues with those protesting for a re-open - they were white and are more aligned to his base. It's the same situation with Cooper.