mainejeff
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Re: 2020 Republican Primary Thread

Post by mainejeff »

GannonFan wrote:
Ibanez wrote: :lol: You're just blissfully ignorant to the facts.
The Democrats complicitness in 2016 that resulted in us having Trump as President is astounding. The lionization of the Clintons during that coronation and the steamrolling of the democratic process to get there, along with the Clintons likely being just as dirty and corrupt as Trump, were the perfect storm that needed to happen to have someone like Trump slip through and win the election. As kooky as Bernie was/is he'd have still won that election just because he would've been the only non-criminal on the ballot. As long as Trump runs again in 2020, his election defeat is almost a sure thing because the Dems will not short circuit the process this time and a legitimate candidate will emerge from that process who will be an easy-to-vote-for compared to Trump. Should've done that in 2016 and saved all of us the trouble. :coffee:
So many assumptions in this piece. :ohno: :ohno: :ohno:
Go Black Bears!
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

mainejeff wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
The Democrats complicitness in 2016 that resulted in us having Trump as President is astounding. The lionization of the Clintons during that coronation and the steamrolling of the democratic process to get there, along with the Clintons likely being just as dirty and corrupt as Trump, were the perfect storm that needed to happen to have someone like Trump slip through and win the election. As kooky as Bernie was/is he'd have still won that election just because he would've been the only non-criminal on the ballot. As long as Trump runs again in 2020, his election defeat is almost a sure thing because the Dems will not short circuit the process this time and a legitimate candidate will emerge from that process who will be an easy-to-vote-for compared to Trump. Should've done that in 2016 and saved all of us the trouble. :coffee:
So many assumptions in this piece. :ohno: :ohno: :ohno:
Just too many to rebuke? It's only 5 sentences, go ahead, take a crack at it. And there's already consensus that Bernie is kinda kooky so that one you don't need to bother with. 8-)
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

GannonFan wrote:
Ibanez wrote: :lol: You're just blissfully ignorant to the facts.
Sure, if the donks didn't nominate whoever is the most kook leftist. But whatever donk wins the nomination is going to have to go so far kook left to win the nomination, they'll likely be too far left to win the general, whether or not Trump runs.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

BDKJMU wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Sure, if the donks didn't nominate whoever is the most kook leftist. But whatever donk wins the nomination is going to have to go so far kook left to win the nomination, they'll likely be too far left to win the general, whether or not Trump runs.
The Trump of 2016, maybe, but the Trump of 2020's only chance to win would be for Hillary to leave her speaking tour and run again. I don't see that happening. My money is on Trump not even running in 2020 (although it might take him awhile to make that decision).
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

When was the last time an incumbent president had a serious primary challenger?
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Pwns wrote:When was the last time an incumbent president had a serious primary challenger?
Ted Kennedy against Jimmy Carter in ‘80. :twocents:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ivytalk wrote:
Pwns wrote:When was the last time an incumbent president had a serious primary challenger?
Ted Kennedy against Jimmy Carter in ‘80. :twocents:
Ivy getting prepped for the Seniors Jeopardy competition. :thumb:

As an asterisk, some would point to Pat Buchanan in '92. He didn't win anything, but he made most of the primaries that year against Bush-41 much closer than they should've been and some believe that led Perot to enter the race as he did. Not the same dynamic as '80, but still resulted in an incumbent being a one-termer.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: Sure, if the donks didn't nominate whoever is the most kook leftist. But whatever donk wins the nomination is going to have to go so far kook left to win the nomination, they'll likely be too far left to win the general, whether or not Trump runs.
The Trump of 2016, maybe, but the Trump of 2020's only chance to win would be for Hillary to leave her speaking tour and run again. I don't see that happening. My money is on Trump not even running in 2020 (although it might take him awhile to make that decision).
True but "the Dems will not short circuit the process this time and a legitimate candidate will emerge from that process who will be an easy-to-vote-for compared to Trump" is the most questionable assumption in your original 5 sentences. There is a definite chance that the Democratic Party lurches so far to the left in selecting a candidate that they leave a window open for Trump to slither through if he runs.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

I enjoyed it when Democrats lurched to the left and nominated Obama instead of Hillary. :thumb:
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Skjellyfetti wrote:I enjoyed it when Democrats lurched to the left and nominated Obama instead of Hillary. :thumb:
Nobody.. and I mean nobody on the Dem bench is anywhere close to Obama in any metric -

Media savvy, personality, intellect, ability to stay above the trolls, focus -

Obama was a strike of lightning - the GOP has never had anyone like him in terms of that combination of appeal, serenity and ability... not even Reagan.

The 2008 Dem primary process was as orderly and focused as the waiting room in a Bavarian DMV

The 2020 Dem primary is going to be a Greyhound bus full of clowns and pissed off cheetahs and THIS lurch left isn’t going to produce an Obama

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

CID1990 wrote:
Skjellyfetti wrote:I enjoyed it when Democrats lurched to the left and nominated Obama instead of Hillary. :thumb:
Nobody.. and I mean nobody on the Dem bench is anywhere close to Obama in any metric -

Obama was a strike of lightning - the GOP has never had anyone like him in terms of that combination of appeal, serenity and ability... not even Reagan.

The 2008 Dem primary process was as orderly and focused as the waiting room in a Bavarian DMV

The 2020 Dem primary is going to be a Greyhound bus full of clowns and pissed off cheetahs and THIS lurch left isn’t going to produce an Obama

They’ve already got their next empty suit picked out....the fake Mexican from El Paso... :roll:

He’s perfect: young, naive, zero policy experience but can raise funds with the Hollywood elite.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

AZGrizFan wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

They’ve already got their next empty suit picked out....the fake Mexican from El Paso... :roll:

He’s perfect: young, naive, zero policy experience but can raise funds with the Hollywood elite.
Beto will be the VP candidate. They're already lining up behind Willie Brown's woman.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

AZGrizFan wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

I'm pretty open minded when it comes to candidates, but after listening to Beto I don't see how I could pull a lever for him - he doesn't seem very intelligent at all. Heck, you put him and Trump and a monkey in a celebrity Jeopardy game and I'm not sure Beto is around for final Jeopardy even against those two (I'm assuming Trump will cheat to get there).

And on top of that, he's a white male. Granted, he's not old, so it's not three strikes, but pretty close. I don't see him lasting long in the process once he's put up against other competition. He lasted as long as he did in the Senate race because he happened to be running against the devil's own representative on Earth. Ted Cruz won't be running in the Democratic primary.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

AZGrizFan wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

Sounds a little bit like Barry Soetero.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

GannonFan wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:

I'm pretty open minded when it comes to candidates, but after listening to Beto I don't see how I could pull a lever for him - he doesn't seem very intelligent at all. Heck, you put him and Trump and a monkey in a celebrity Jeopardy game and I'm not sure Beto is around for final Jeopardy even against those two (I'm assuming Trump will cheat to get there).

And on top of that, he's a white male. Granted, he's not old, so it's not three strikes, but pretty close. I don't see him lasting long in the process once he's put up against other competition. He lasted as long as he did in the Senate race because he happened to be running against the devil's own representative on Earth. Ted Boobs won't be running in the Democratic primary.
Well, you are open-minded: you voted for Jill Stein last time. And there’s an inverse correlation between raw intelligence and Presidential effectiveness. Cases in point: Jimmy Carter, Richard Nixon, and Bill Clinton.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ivytalk wrote:
GannonFan wrote:

And on top of that, he's a white male. Granted, he's not old, so it's not three strikes, but pretty close. I don't see him lasting long in the process once he's put up against other competition. He lasted as long as he did in the Senate race because he happened to be running against the devil's own representative on Earth. Ted Boobs won't be running in the Democratic primary.
Well, you are open-minded: you voted for Jill Stein last time. And there’s an inverse correlation between raw intelligence and Presidential effectiveness. Cases in point: Jimmy Carter, Richard Nixon, and Bill Clinton.
I'm still proud of that vote - people should feel somewhat dirty if they voted for Clinton or Trump, and even more so if they did so with actual conviction. A lot of posters here, and certainly out in the real world, really believed in their candidate of choice. Scary part is some still do.

Problem with that inverse correlation is that it's not symmetric. No one would accuse Dubya of being a genius, and he still was in the effectiveness range of those other guys. But the point is certainly taken. Many call John Quincy Adams the smartest guy to become President and no one would classify his term in office as great.
css75
Level3
Level3

2020 Republican Primary Thread

Post by css75 »

It used to be said that Kennedy’s advisors were the smartest group ever assembled since Jefferson sat alone there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Republican National Committee (RNC) members voted on Friday to throw the party’s “undivided support” behind President Trump ahead of his 2020 reelection bid as speculation continues to mount about potential primary challengers.
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4 ... ad-of-2020

I'm shocked...shocked!
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

Ibanez wrote:
Republican National Committee (RNC) members voted on Friday to throw the party’s “undivided support” behind President Trump ahead of his 2020 reelection bid as speculation continues to mount about potential primary challengers.

I'm shocked...shocked!
Round up the usual suspects!
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote:

I'm shocked...shocked!
Since when has the RNC/DNC not supported their incumbent running for re election?
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

css75 wrote:It used to be said that Kennedy’s advisors were the smartest group ever assembled since Jefferson sat alone there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That was back when the Dems were still holding Jackson/Jefferson dinners every year (think they still do them but call them J&J dinners so no one knows they're celebrating these guys) and both of those guys were historical shining stars. The intervening years have not been good to either former President (Jackson's about to come off the money, never to return, and Jefferson is now seen as a racist rapist by the more progressive elements of the party that has ties to his time) so I doubt you'd hear such praise for Jefferson these days.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote:
Ibanez wrote: https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4 ... ad-of-2020

I'm shocked...shocked!
Since when has the RNC/DNC not supported their incumbent running for re election?
You've missed the point...and didn't read the article.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Does anyone else see the latest movements and interviews done by Chris Christie as some redemption tour...maybe the beginning of something? :coffee: :twocents:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

Ibanez wrote:Does anyone else see the latest movements and interviews done by Chris Christie as some redemption tour...maybe the beginning of something? :coffee: :twocents:
Maybe the beginning of a long-overdue diet.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ivytalk wrote:
Ibanez wrote:Does anyone else see the latest movements and interviews done by Chris Christie as some redemption tour...maybe the beginning of something? :coffee: :twocents:
Maybe the beginning of a long-overdue diet.
The dude is huge. I remember walking behind his seat at a Delaware game and just amazed at the overall wideness. Guy's a truck. :ohno: