Political discussions
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Re: Most Highly Educated States

Post by Col Hogan »

93henfan wrote:
89Hen wrote:FTR, I hate living here too. I'd much rather live in a smaller town. Folks around here are rude and extremely self-absorbed.
Nobody in DC ever looks back when they walk through a door in public.

People in Slower Delaware will stop, hold the door, look back, and if they believe anyone they can see in the distance will arrive within 30 seconds, they will continue holding the door.

Here's another one I love in DC. When glass double doors swing toward me and I see another person coming from the other side, I will pull the door open on my side, and wedge myself against the wall for them to come through. In DC, the **** will 9 times out of 10 open the other closed door and not even acknowledge my existence.

I hate DC, if you couldn't tell. I am dead serious that I will never go inside of the beltway after the day I retire.
QFT
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

JohnStOnge wrote:
93henfan wrote:
Nobody in DC ever looks back when they walk through a door in public.

People in Slower Delaware will stop, hold the door, look back, and if they believe anyone they can see in the distance will arrive within 30 seconds, they will continue holding the door.

Here's another one I love in DC. When glass double doors swing toward me and I see another person coming from the other side, I will pull the door open on my side, and wedge myself against the wall for them to come through. In DC, the **** will 9 times out of 10 open the other closed door and not even acknowledge my existence.

I hate DC, if you couldn't tell. I am dead serious that I will never go inside of the beltway after the day I retire.
You know, years ago I investigated the possibility of living in the DC area. I'm talking about back in the 1980s. I went up there for some job interviews. And people were just incredibly rude. I'm not talking about just me. I'm talking about how they treated other people such as people serving them in restaurants and such. That combined with the cost of living issue convinced me that there is NO way I would ever take a job in that area. It really is...or at least was at that time...an incredibly rude culture.
Its a sh1t town full of sh1t people

I think it might have something to do with the fact that it is a true melting pot - literally transplants from other states, people from every other country, and TDY people. So many clashing cultures that even the ones who are predisposed to being congenial have just said “fvck it” and have given up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Must be why trip loves it so.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

93henfan wrote:[Nobody in DC ever looks back when they walk through a door in public.
Almost nobody. 8-)
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

CID1990 wrote:I think it might have something to do with the fact that it is a true melting pot - literally transplants from other states, people from every other country, and TDY people. So many clashing cultures that even the ones who are predisposed to being congenial have just said “fvck it” and have given up
This is actually why I think our traffic is so bad. Yes, we have too many people on the road, but I'm telling you it's that people of different cultures drive very differently. When you have overcrowded roads with people driving very inconsistently... disaster. :nod:
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

It's way rarer that someone not hold a door for me than do.

I've found DC incredibly friendlier than a lot of places. Maybe if you don't act like a dick, people don't act like dicks back to you?

Even NYC was friendlier than some small towns I've gone to (mostly in Pennsylvania and West Virginia).

A smile and thank you go a long way.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Edit: at Subway now. Zero times someone hasn't held the door.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

∞∞∞ wrote:It's way rarer that someone not hold a door for me than do.

I've found DC incredibly friendlier than a lot of places. Maybe if you don't act like a dick, people don't act like dicks back to you?

Even NYC was friendlier than some small towns I've gone to (mostly in Pennsylvania and West Virginia).

People can be nicer if they think you're special needs.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

∞∞∞ wrote:It's way rarer that someone not hold a door for me than do.

You're in severe denial.

Also, how is holding doors for people acting like a dick?

Man, you're carrying a lot of baggage in that skull of yours. Maybe go see a Joo head doctor.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

93henfan wrote:Also, how is holding doors for people acting like a dick?
Re-read what I said.

But anyways, I think you guys have a pre-conceived notion of something and actively seek it out. Then you find an example or two which is inevitable in a large population and bam, you paint a broad stroke.

Either that or everyone in the Federal Government just acts like an asshole

Personally I've run across very few dicks. Sure you're not going to get a "hello" from everyone you pass on the street, but it's a large metropolitan area. Otherwise most are nice in your interactions with them, and I would say that holds true throughout the United States.

Sometimes I've noticed a cultural difference is taken as "assholery" (an example is white people being annoyed at black teens dancing on the Metro), but that's just someone not liking something because it's not part of their culture. It doesn't make the teens assholes.
Last edited by ∞∞∞ on Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

∞∞∞ wrote:
Re-read what I said.

But anyways, I think you guys have a pre-conceived notion of something and actively seek it out. Then you find one or two examples which you're bound to find in a large population and bam, you paint a broad stroke.

Either that or everyone in the Federal Government just acts like an asshole

Personally I've run across very few bad apples. Sure you're not going to get a "hello" from every person you pass on the street, but it's a large metropolitan area. Other than that, it's not like people are actively being dicks.

Sometimes I've noticed a cultural difference is taken as "assholery" (an example is white people being annoyed at black teens dancing on the Metro), but that's just someone not liking something because it's not part of their culture. It doesn't make the teens assholes.
The only time I get alarmed at the black teens on the Metro is when they're beating the living shit out of each other or random people on the cars, which happens quite a bit. Last Tuesday was one instance (when did I text you Flaggy?). Let's not be naive about that. I do keep my knife ready during certain moments on the Orange line, especially around Minn Ave and Deanwood generally, but I have never had to pull it out of my pocket thankfully.

Keep in mind, I don't stay on the fluffy side of DC like you. I ride the Orange and the Green right through Darkieville regularly.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

I've only seen one fight at the Metro, and it was between to white guys at the Clarendon station.

edit: you're right though, I've never gone past Stadium-Armory on the Orange line.

edit2: just realized I've never gone into Maryland on the Metro. Sounds like a Maryland problem. :coffee:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Clarendon. I rest my case. :lol:

Come on a tour of Minnesota Ave, Deanwood, Anacostia, Congress Heights, etc. It's a whole different world on the east side of the Anacostia. Roving packs, brother. Keep your guard up.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

∞∞∞ wrote:I've only seen one fight at the Metro, and it was between to white guys at the Clarendon station.

edit: you're right though, I've never gone past Stadium-Armory on the Orange line.

edit2: just realized I've never gone into Maryland on the Metro. Sounds like a Maryland problem. :coffee:
So it's a Maryland problem but the only fight you've seen was in Clarendon. Check. :dunce:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

∞∞∞ wrote:But anyways, I think you guys have a pre-conceived notion of something and actively seek it out. Then you find an example or two which is inevitable in a large population and bam, you paint a broad stroke.
I hold doors, smile at people, say hi if I'm passing somebody by themselves... often I get a smile or a Hi back, but not as often as I do when I'm not in this area. Not sure either of us said it was everyone... OK 93 did say "nobody" but it was pretty obvious hyperbole.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

89Hen wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote:I've only seen one fight at the Metro, and it was between to white guys at the Clarendon station.

So it's a Maryland problem but the only fight you've seen was in Clarendon. Check. :dunce:
Also, the stations I mentioned are all still in DC. Once you get out to Cheverly, the Orange line clears right up.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

93henfan wrote:
89Hen wrote: So it's a Maryland problem but the only fight you've seen was in Clarendon. Check. :dunce:
Also, the stations I mentioned are all still in DC.
Correct. I used to live in Bowie and often took the Orange from New Carrolton into DC. Very different ride than coming in the Red from Bethesda.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote:
Re-read what I said.

But anyways, I think you guys have a pre-conceived notion of something and actively seek it out. Then you find an example or two which is inevitable in a large population and bam, you paint a broad stroke.

Oh..so it's like how you look at Republicans and Conservatives. :coffee:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

∞∞∞ wrote:
edit2: just realized I've never gone into Maryland on the Metro. Sounds like a Maryland problem.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think we've hit our problem.
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Ibanez wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: Re-read what I said.

Nope. The Republican Party today has become an actual threat to democracy.

I respect the conservatives that have distanced themselves from the modern GOP, although they did assist in creating the beast which exists today.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

89Hen wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote:But anyways, I think you guys have a pre-conceived notion of something and actively seek it out. Then you find an example or two which is inevitable in a large population and bam, you paint a broad stroke.
I hold doors, smile at people, say hi if I'm passing somebody by themselves... often I get a smile or a Hi back, but not as often as I do when I'm not in this area. Not sure either of us said it was everyone... OK 93 did say "nobody" but it was pretty obvious hyperbole.
Yes, a little hyperbole, but not much.

And while I'm stereotyping, I find that the working grown-up black folks in DC are friendlier than the working grown-up white folks. DC white people are just generally self-absorbed pricks. If it wasn't against the law, I'd go all black teenager and just fuck 'em up randomly to get the stress out. Man, what I wouldn't give to knock one out every couple of days. Plus, they'd start being a lot nicer.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

I really need to see this again, for the 50th time. It's been at least a year:

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

∞∞∞ wrote:
Ibanez wrote:

Nope. The Republican Party today has become an actual threat to democracy.

I respect the conservatives that have distanced themselves from the modern GOP, although they did assist in creating the beast which exists today.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Except we're not the ones attempting to kill the 2nd amendment, or rioting in the streets and attempting to change the rules when we don't get our way. Swing and a miss. Try again.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

93henfan wrote:I really need to see this again, for the 50th time. It's been at least a year:

Great, underappreciated movie. :nod: :nod:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

AZGrizFan wrote:
93henfan wrote:I really need to see this again, for the 50th time. It's been at least a year:

Great, underappreciated movie. :nod: :nod:
And another in the long list of movies that could not be made anymore, at least by a major studio with concerns about boycotts. Frankly, it was surprising it was released the year after the LA riots.
Last edited by 93henfan on Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.