Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Re: CS.com Book Club: Spring 2019

Post by Ivytalk »

Chizzang wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
You aren’t wrong about any of that^^^

I take issue with you saying that Hamilton isn’t a darling of the left right now. He is - precisely because of the distortions you talk about.

Turns out the left is just as capable of twisting history to suit as the right is

Actually I can’t wait to see Randall Park dancing and singing “Little Red Book” on stage

Human culture has a way of really beating the drum to hero worship the reconstructions of the dead
This is really good. You should give a poetry reading sometime.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

houndawg wrote:
Silenoz wrote:
Reading Snow Crash right now

Also just finished Masters of Doom, which incidentally mentioned SC 4-5 times
:thumb:

SC is probably my favorite of his after Cryptonomicon, though if he's written anything since REAMDE I haven't read it
I’ve tried Cyprtonomicon and Seveneves(?) but I just can’t get through them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Ibanez wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
It’s ironic really - the whitewashing of flawed heroes of the new left is very similar to a LOT of previous “lost cause” scholarship on Confederate military types. It is no coincidence that books like Grant attracted so much attention roughly around the same time Confederate statues were being pulled down. Hamilton and Grant, Seward, and a few others are getting the Washington and the Cherry Tree treatment.

I like reading about people with warts... everybody has them. That’s why Chernow has disappointed me more than once. He is too protective of the people he writes about. I like Grant better for the reality of who he was. Great general, sh1tty President. There’s nothing wrong with that. And Chernow’s Grant was not near the exaggeration as Chernow’s Hamilton.
What are your thoughts on david mccullough? I’m reading his book on Truman and it’s alright. I get the sense that Truman was a geeky dandy who had no business running anything.

That sounds more like Barkley, his VP. As I mentioned the fly-on-the-wall White House photographer for the Truman admin is a neighbor of mine. He says 'Uncle Harry" was blunt to the point of rudeness - Ed heard him tell a Congressman "you need to brush your teeth, your breath stinks". Barkley on the other hand he presents as exactly the kind of dandy described above. The significant others of two of Barkley's great-granddaughters were regulars on the local bluegrass scene for years and one of them was a bandmate when we played on A Prairie Home Companion a couple of decades ago.

You guys don't fuck with me. I know people. :coffee:
Last edited by houndawg on Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Ibanez wrote:
houndawg wrote:
:thumb:

SC is probably my favorite of his after Cryptonomicon, though if he's written anything since REAMDE I haven't read it
I’ve tried Cyprtonomicon and Seveneves(?) but I just can’t get through them

Seveneves is probably my least favorite and Cryptonomicon does take a while to get moving, at least it does if you aren't a math/techie enthusiast, but is well worth it just for the stolen nazi submarine and the pile of gold stacked neatly in the jungle. I won't read Seveneves again but Cryptonomicon I put up there with A Canticle for Leibowitz in the sf pantheon. If you aren't so much into techie stuff you might give Anathem a try.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

houndawg wrote:
Ibanez wrote: I’ve tried Cyprtonomicon and Seveneves(?) but I just can’t get through them

Seveneves is probably my least favorite and Cryptonomicon does take a while to get moving, at least it does if you aren't a math/techie enthusiast, but is well worth it just for the stolen nazi submarine and the pile of gold stacked neatly in the jungle. I won't read Seveneves again but Cryptonomicon I put up there with A Canticle for Leibowitz in the sf pantheon. If you aren't so much into techie stuff you might give Anathem a try.
I'm listening to Cryptonomicon now....god it's dense.

Anyone have a good book recommendation? No matter the genre.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

I'm reading the Frederick Douglass biography now (the one called the "Prophet of Freedom", or something like that). Decent book. Not the best biography I've read but didn't know a lot about him prior to reading this.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Silenoz »

Ibanez wrote:
houndawg wrote:
I'm listening to Cryptonomicon now....god it's dense.

The best ones I've read in the last couple years
Song of Ice and Fire (all of it)
The Forever War
Under the Dome
11/22/63
The Wasp Factory
Blood Meridian
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Silenoz »

I also started Prince of Thorns. From what I hear it's like if Ramsey Snow from Game of Thrones was the main character of his own series
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Silenoz wrote:I also started Prince of Thorns. From what I hear it's like if Ramsey Snow from Game of Thrones was the main character of his own series
I need to give Prince of Thorns a try but I would recommend Prince of Fools (and the Red Queen's War Trilogy). Another author to consider is Joe Abercrombie and the Shattered Sea Trilogy.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Silenoz »

UNI88 wrote:
Silenoz wrote:I also started Prince of Thorns. From what I hear it's like if Ramsey Snow from Game of Thrones was the main character of his own series
I need to give Prince of Thorns a try but I would recommend Prince of Fools (and the Red Queen's War Trilogy). Another author to consider is Joe Abercrombie and the Shattered Sea Trilogy.
Yeah I actually have a bunch of Abercrombie stuff I picked up dirt cheap (Missoula has an awesome discounted book store).
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: RE: Re: CS.com Book Club: Spring 2019

Post by UNI88 »

Silenoz wrote:
UNI88 wrote:
Yeah I actually have a bunch of Abercrombie stuff I picked up dirt cheap (Missoula has an awesome discounted book store).
If you like Abercrombie I think you'll like Lawrence too. The Red Queen's War is probably closer than the Thorns books though.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Silenoz wrote:
Ibanez wrote: I'm listening to Cryptonomicon now....god it's dense.

The best ones I've read in the last couple years
Song of Ice and Fire (all of it)
The Forever War
Under the Dome
11/22/63
The Wasp Factory
Blood Meridian

Pretty bleak. Even for McCarthy.
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Silenoz »

Most of what I just listed is.