Trump no matter what
35%
The Democrat no matter what
27%
Third Party/Independent/Write-in/Blank no matter what
19%
Trump, unless the donks nominate ___, which is unlikely
3%
The Democrat, unless the donks nominate ____, which is unlikely.
No votes
Third Party or Independent, unless the donks nominate ____, which is unlikely.
8%
Fvck dis Schit what's the point 2020
8%

Total votes: 37

∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Re: RE: Re: April 2019 Presidential Preference Poll

Post by ∞∞∞ »

UNI88 wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: Well if that's the case, we're not following what the founding fathers wanted.

If people here were actually originalists, we'd go back to electing the electors and/or allowing the state legislators to choose them, instead of tying electors to the winner of a popular vote in each state.
We're using the framework that the Founders established but you want to throw the baby out with the bath water because you don't like the results. Ben Franklin, John Adams, etc. were infinitely wiser and more farsighted than Bernie, Warren, Harris, AOC, Trump, etc. They were statesmen (not politicians) who were interested in the best interests of country rather than themselves and their constituencies.
They were philosophers and rebels, and statesmen only to their ideas.

They were not that far-sighted and believed each generation should manifest its own destiny, some believing that blood was required to achieve it. That's not very "stately" or "far-sighted."

The Constitution was written to protect themselves from each other, not outlast them by 200+ years.
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

UNI88 wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: Well if that's the case, we're not following what the founding fathers wanted.

If people here were actually originalists, we'd go back to electing the electors and/or allowing the state legislators to choose them, instead of tying electors to the winner of a popular vote in each state.
We're using the framework that the Founders established but you want to throw the baby out with the bath water because you don't like the results. Ben Franklin, John Adams, etc. were infinitely wiser and more farsighted than Bernie, Warren, Harris, AOC, Trump, etc. They were statesmen (not politicians) who were interested in the best interests of country rather than themselves and their constituencies.
Exactly, only SHEEP follow the political parties we have now.

Blood is required to deal with a government like ours who are shills for corporations and only there to enrich themselves.

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Re: April 2019 Presidential Preference Poll

Post by CID1990 »

∞∞∞ wrote:Dude, the EC is already warped beyond recognition. I'd even say it's broken.

The system was never meant to be bound by the public; states would select the electors (some through public voting) and electors would select the President. Tying the electors' hands to the public vote completely removes their primary reason for existence.

And state by state, the EC was never meant to be a "winner takes all" thing.

I mean we can talk about Constitutional changes, but if we're going to talk about the EC, it's important to recognize it's already twisted beyond its original intent (for the worst).

Stating otherwise would be disingenuous and misleading.

If we believe in democratic values, the President should be chosen by all citizens equally (regardless of what the founders thought). Small states can continue to have disproportionate power in the Senate.
^^^ latest talking point notwithstanding

The EC will only be muted or tossed out by Constitutional amendment. No back door scheme will work without a plurality of states assenting.

Good luck with that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

∞∞∞ wrote:Dude, the EC is already warped beyond recognition. I'd even say it's broken.

The system was never meant to be bound by the public; states would select the electors (some through public voting) and electors would select the President. Tying the electors' hands to the public vote completely removes their primary reason for existence.

I mean we can talk about Constitutional changes, but if we're going to talk about the EC, it's important to recognize it's already twisted beyond its original intent (for the worst).

If we believe in democratic values, the President should be chosen by all citizens equally (regardless of what the founders thought). Small states can continue to have disproportionate power in the Senate.
And state by state, the EC is NOT a “winner take all” thing.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Sure would be nice if presidential candidates would campaign in the big cities once in a while and not spend so much money and time in Wyoming and Idaho. Stupid EC.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Pwns wrote:Sure would be nice if presidential candidates would campaign in the big cities once in a while and not spend so much money and time in Wyoming and Idaho. Stupid EC.
Sarcasm detected but huh?
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

∞∞∞ wrote:
UNI88 wrote:IMO this would be a "be careful of what you wish for" / law of unintended consequences situation where the "cure" would be worse than the disease in the long run. I have more faith in the wisdom of the Founding Fathers than I do in our current political leaders (from either party) or the mobs who want change.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Well if that's the case, we're not following what the founding fathers wanted.

Not to mention standing armies and foreign entanglements.

Which we've been spending Millions per hr. on for two decades. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

You would be crying foul if Virgina voted for Hiliary but the electors voted for someone else.

Deal with it. The EC has something of like a 95% success rate. 5 out of 54(?) elections have been contested.

Instead of changing the system, perhaps we nominate candidates that actually represent the people.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

No surprise here, I'm sure, but I've seen nothing on either side to change my mind.

Sarah and Michelle 2020....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Ibanez wrote:

You would be crying foul if Virgina voted for Hiliary but the electors voted for someone else.

Deal with it. The EC has something of like a 95% success rate. 5 out of 54(?) elections have been contested.

Instead of changing the system, perhaps we nominate candidates that actually represent the people.
Of course I would; I think the EC is a complete bullshit system in any form.

I'm simply saying it's disingenuous to defend it from a Constitutional POV without acknowledging it's not even the same system the Founders intended. If we're gonna praise the Founders for their wisdom, at least say what we have now is nothing like the "protection" they put in place.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

houndawg wrote:

So you don’t think we need a standing army? :dunce: :dunce:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote:
houndawg wrote:

I think we do, but...

In time of actual war, great discretionary powers are constantly given to the Executive Magistrate. Constant apprehension of War, has the same tendency to render the head too large for the body. A standing military force, with an overgrown Executive will not long be safe companions to liberty. The means of defence agst. foreign danger, have been always the instruments of tyranny at home. Among the Romans it was a standing maxim to excite a war, whenever a revolt was apprehended. Throughout all Europe, the armies kept up under the pretext of defending, have enslaved the people. ~ James Madison, Speech before Constitutional Convention (6/29/1787).
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

CID1990 wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Well, technically they don't violate the one-person one-vote rulings because those rulings never claimed to be applicable to the Senate and the Electoral College. They were always restrained to state legislatures and to Congressional districts. Any Court, SCOTUS included, wouldn't be able to apply one-person one-vote to the Senate nor Electoral College because the Constitution is pretty clear how they are to work and it's not based on one-person one-vote. The Founders even went further when they drew up Article 5 and entrenched the idea of Senate (and by extension the Electoral College) being unchangeable without the consent of the State itself. Courts can't change it, you have to change the Constitution (and the entrenchment clause in Article 5 makes that Senate change almost rise to a level of unanimous consent if you're going to change the Senate and potentially by extension the Electoral College).
I’ll summarize Ganny here ... since some simple folk who don’t understand how a representative Republic works...

Amend the Constitution or STFU

or put another way -

Find 20 states willing to completely disenfranchise themselves by ratifying such a change - and then have at it

Pretty much. 8-)
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote:Waaaaaaaaa we cant win so change the rules!

DEAL WITH IT!
You mean like the GOP does with voting restrictions and gerrymandering?
:thumb:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

dbackjon wrote:

DEAL WITH IT!
When did Michael Madigan become a Republican?

Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

AZGrizFan wrote:
houndawg wrote:

No, we're talking about what the founding father's thought.

You need to go to bed or have another drink.. :silly:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

dbackjon wrote:

DEAL WITH IT!
We need voting restrictions so Mali doesnt run our country

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

dbackjon wrote:

DEAL WITH IT!
Haven't we been over this Jon? Notice how they try to drag every district into the blue area...

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
I think we do, but...

In time of actual war, great discretionary powers are constantly given to the Executive Magistrate. Constant apprehension of War, has the same tendency to render the head too large for the body. A standing military force, with an overgrown Executive will not long be safe companions to liberty. The means of defence agst. foreign danger, have been always the instruments of tyranny at home. Among the Romans it was a standing maxim to excite a war, whenever a revolt was apprehended. Throughout all Europe, the armies kept up under the pretext of defending, have enslaved the people. ~ James Madison, Speech before Constitutional Convention (6/29/1787).
Couldn't agree more. It's Orwell's 1984 all over again. Constant war against an unseen enemy to justify their existence.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

89Hen wrote:
dbackjon wrote: You mean like the GOP does with voting restrictions and gerrymandering?
Haven't we been over this Jon? Notice how they try to drag every district into the blue area...

So we have ONE Democratic state (and I am on record for redistricting MD as well) compared to dozens of GOP controlled states.

Yeah, fine people on both sides :roll:
:thumb:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

dbackjon wrote:
89Hen wrote: Haven't we been over this Jon? Notice how they try to drag every district into the blue area...

So we have ONE Democratic state (and I am on record for redistricting MD as well) compared to dozens of GOP controlled states.

Yeah, fine people on both sides :roll:
You forgot Madigan and your home state of Illinois.

Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
mainejeff
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Post by mainejeff »

Let's face it. Orange Man is gonna have to call in every Russian favor at his disposal. Putin will give him every favorable chance to win this election but Trump has fucked up just about every thing that's ever been handed to him.

:coffee:
Go Black Bears!
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

mainejeff wrote:Let's face it. Orange Man is gonna have to call in every Russian favor at his disposal. Putin will give him every favorable chance to win this election but Trump has **** up just about every thing that's ever been handed to him.

Man your bitterness about the Mueller report is palpable

mainejeff
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Post by mainejeff »

CID1990 wrote:
mainejeff wrote:Let's face it. Orange Man is gonna have to call in every Russian favor at his disposal. Putin will give him every favorable chance to win this election but Trump has **** up just about every thing that's ever been handed to him.

Your blindness to it all is predictable.

Go Black Bears!
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

mainejeff wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

Your blindness to it all is predictable.

Bless your heart.