mainejeff
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Re: Chinese Trade War

Post by mainejeff »

Gil Dobie wrote:
CID1990 wrote:It is obvious when people use Google Translate.

It works poorly with tonal Asian languages. You guys basically are the info age versions of the teens in the 1980s who wore those tshirts with Kanji script that said things like, "I am an idiot" and "pound me in the butt"
I'm impressed, a multilingual grammar nazi.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Seriously Gil.....these guys on here take themselves so seriously. :roll: :oops: CID is the wet blanket that made fun of those teens in the 80s and is now a grumpy old man. ;)

:coffee:
Go Black Bears!
mainejeff
Level4
Level4

Post by mainejeff »

Trump rips into Kudlow and tells him to “not worry about" the consequences of tariffs on U.S. businesses.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... by-tariffs

The gold spooned Man Baby has never worried about a consequence in his life....obviously.

Go Black Bears!
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Saw this coming awhile ago, as did anyone else who has been paying attention. Huawei put on the bad list.

Pretty good idea of how easy it is to hamstring Chinese production, when you take away their supply chain.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN1SM0NR
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

mainejeff wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:

Seriously Gil.....these guys on here take themselves so seriously. :roll: :oops: CID is the wet blanket that made fun of those teens in the 80s and is now a grumpy old man. ;)

Sounds like you have a boner for me, Jearf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
mainejeff
Level4
Level4

Post by mainejeff »

CID1990 wrote:
mainejeff wrote:

Sounds like you have a boner for me, Jearf

:puke:

Go Black Bears!
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: RE: Re: Chinese Trade War

Post by UNI88 »

CID1990 wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
Only in Vietnamese, really

Here's how you can tell if someone used Google: re-translate it back to English, using Google. If it reads correctly and makes sense in English, then it was Google.

If it looks like this:

"Circle bell what customer wish to annoy clerk." (Ring bell for assistance) - then it is genuine.
I've never done that but would bet it is true.

When I worked with the Chinese I had a translator to help me. I would run email communications through Google translate and compare it to her translations for sh!ts & giggles. In a pinch I could use Google translate to understand the gist of something sent to me but I would absolutely never use it to convert something I was sending to someone else.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

UNI88 wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
Only in Vietnamese, really

Here's how you can tell if someone used Google: re-translate it back to English, using Google. If it reads correctly and makes sense in English, then it was Google.

If it looks like this:

"Circle bell what customer wish to annoy clerk." (Ring bell for assistance) - then it is genuine.
I've never done that but would bet it is true.

When I worked with the Chinese I had a translator to help me. I would run email communications through Google translate and compare it to her translations for sh!ts & giggles. In a pinch I could use Google translate to understand the gist of something sent to me but I would absolutely never use it to convert something I was sending to someone else.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
I ride with a Thai MC occasionally and for weekenders they like to put their itineraries on Facebook. Let me tell you that nothing is funnier than Thai run through Google translate

Example:

1100: the lunch at wonderful park of scenes

1200: wheel spin

1500: we give you gas if not money

1700: enjoy relaxation and cool drug of flower place resort

2000: party girl

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Interesting take.
President Donald Trump, having championed one of the larger tax cuts in recent years, has now enacted tariffs equivalent to one of the largest tax increases in decades.

A CNBC analysis of data from the Treasury Department ranks the combined $72 billion in revenue from all the president’s tariffs as one of the biggest tax increases since 1993. In fact, the tariff revenue ranks as the largest increase as a percent of GDP since 1993 when compared with the first year of all the revenue measures enacted since then, according to the data.

Only the revenue raised in the fourth year of the Affordable Care Act is greater, but not by much.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/16/trumps- ... kpG6QNAx9Q
mainejeff
Level4
Level4

Post by mainejeff »

Republicans tax Americans much more than Democrats do. They just hide it better. ;)

Go Black Bears!
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

mainejeff wrote:Republicans tax Americans much more than Democrats do. They just hide it better. ;)

There's a certain degree of truth to that. :lol:
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Trump winning this trade war back in 2017 when he went on that tour talking trade.

With the Indian PM supposedly being pro business, Trump looks to be able to replace China's manufacturing with their neighbors.

You got all the ASEAN countries on board as well.

3D chess. The Art of the Deal.

A great blocker of one belt one road.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

SeattleGriz wrote:Trump winning this trade war back in 2017 when he went on that tour talking trade.

With the Indian PM supposedly being pro business, Trump looks to be able to replace China's manufacturing with their neighbors.

You're kidding yourself. Trump is an idiot. He's not playing 3D chess. "The Art of the Deal" was written by a ghost writer how is now all over the place saying the guy is a moron.

Trump is not winning this now and he won't win it in the end. He's outclassed by the Chinese.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

JohnStOnge wrote:
SeattleGriz wrote:Trump winning this trade war back in 2017 when he went on that tour talking trade.

You're kidding yourself. Trump is an idiot. He's not playing 3D chess. "The Art of the Deal" was written by a ghost writer how is now all over the place saying the guy is a moron.

Trump is not winning this now and he won't win it in the end. He's outclassed by the Chinese.
Like I said, that sounds like an avatar bet! Your avatar of the Griz logo would be sweet.

Scratch that. Sam Houston.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

SeattleGriz wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

Like I said, that sounds like an avatar bet! Your avatar of the Griz logo would be sweet.

Scratch that. Sam Houston.
He's not going to win this. The Chinese leaders are part of a totalitarian government. They are not vulnerable to short term political considerations. He's going to lose.

Of course I'm sure he will spin whatever happens as a win. But he's going to lose.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

JohnStOnge wrote:

That’s your opinion only, re: whether Trump is “winning” or not.

We need to be pushing back hard against China. They are technology thieves and they are currency manipulators.

It is actually too late for us, in my opinion. No matter what we do, China will be making ALL of our economic decisions for us within 30 years.

But we do not have to go quietly. Your alternative is to do nothing (which is only slightly better than whoring our industries out to China, a la Clinton family policy). That allows China to subvert ours and everybody else’s trading abilities

Pushing back against China is sphere of influence politics. John Global Kerry and you don’t like that, but China (and to a lesser extent, Russia) controls the game board and therefore we must play.

China has nothing left to levy tariffs on. Think about that - there’s a tariff on everything we send them now. They are already resorting to taking political prisoners and other shady tactics because they have nowhere else to go. This thing needs to play out - and your opinion on the matter carries no more authority on this than the opinion of a blind Trump supporter

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote:Interesting take.
President Donald Trump, having championed one of the larger tax cuts in recent years, has now enacted tariffs equivalent to one of the largest tax increases in decades.

A CNBC analysis of data from the Treasury Department ranks the combined $72 billion in revenue from all the president’s tariffs as one of the biggest tax increases since 1993. In fact, the tariff revenue ranks as the largest increase as a percent of GDP since 1993 when compared with the first year of all the revenue measures enacted since then, according to the data.

Only the revenue raised in the fourth year of the Affordable Care Act is greater, but not by much.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/16/trumps- ... kpG6QNAx9Q
Horseshit. Comparing a tariff to a tax on Americans is retarded. It’s not a tax if you don’t buy the product.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

CID1990 wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

We need to be pushing back hard against China. They are technology thieves and they are currency manipulators.

It is actually too late for us, in my opinion. No matter what we do, China will be making ALL of our economic decisions for us within 30 years.

But we do not have to go quietly. Your alternative is to do nothing (which is only slightly better than whoring our industries out to China, a la Clinton family policy). That allows China to subvert ours and everybody else’s trading abilities

Pushing back against China is sphere of influence politics. John Global Kerry and you don’t like that, but China (and to a lesser extent, Russia) controls the game board and therefore we must play.

China has nothing left to levy tariffs on. Think about that - there’s a tariff on everything we send them now. They are already resorting to taking political prisoners and other shady tactics because they have nowhere else to go. This thing needs to play out - and your opinion on the matter carries no more authority on this than the opinion of a blind Trump supporter

I agree, JSO's idea of doing nothing really isn't an idea, it's just waving a white flag and giving up. Where I disagree is with the idea that it's too late. Technology changes too rapidly now to think that there is some finish line out there and that what's true today will be true forever and can't change. No one would've fathomed 15 years ago that the US would be exporting natural gas and would be fairly independent of the global oil market, but hello American ingenuity and fracking and here we are. As long as you are an innovator as a country then things can change. The idea that Chinese dominance of international trade is a foregone conclusion is too simplistic and doesn't take into account the everchanging calculus of international trade. That is, unless we do like JSO is proposing and simply roll over.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

GannonFan wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

I agree, JSO's idea of doing nothing really isn't an idea, it's just waving a white flag and giving up. Where I disagree is with the idea that it's too late. Technology changes too rapidly now to think that there is some finish line out there and that what's true today will be true forever and can't change. No one would've fathomed 15 years ago that the US would be exporting natural gas and would be fairly independent of the global oil market, but hello American ingenuity and fracking and here we are. As long as you are an innovator as a country then things can change. The idea that Chinese dominance of international trade is a foregone conclusion is too simplistic and doesn't take into account the everchanging calculus of international trade. That is, unless we do like JSO is proposing and simply roll over.
That’s true - but I conflated China’s trade behaviors with our own spending orgy at home. If trade with China was not affected by other factors (like our national debt and China’s ownership of it) then I think that our own ability to compete with them would have more wiggle room (and unpredictability)

But when I say it is too late for us, I am compounding our trade deficits with China’s ownership of the majority of our debt. Trade is, as you say, unpredictable. Our own idiocy is not.

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

CID1990 wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
That’s true - but I conflated China’s trade behaviors with our own spending orgy at home. If trade with China was not affected by other factors (like our national debt and China’s ownership of it) then I think that our own ability to compete with them would have more wiggle room (and unpredictability)

But when I say it is too late for us, I am compounding our trade deficits with China’s ownership of the majority of our debt. Trade is, as you say, unpredictable. Our own idiocy is not.

I wonder whether we’d be worse off if the Red Chunks simply stopped buying our debt. Serious question.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Ivytalk wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

I wonder whether we’d be worse off if the Red Chunks simply stopped buying our debt. Serious question.
Well that is the Catch 22, isnt it?

Nobody other than China (currently) can absorb our gargantuan debt

HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

China doesn't own as much US debt as most people think. China owns $1.12 trillion of the $22 trillion. Japan owns $1.08 trillion.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

HI54UNI wrote:China doesn't own as much US debt as most people think. China owns $1.12 trillion of the $22 trillion. Japan owns $1.08 trillion.
Japan is your benevolent aunt.

China is JR Ewing

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Boy, China sure went psycho fast. China blacklisting those that "hurt" China. Like they have been allowing abuse for years.

Damn Americans taking advantage of China businesses...in China.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/diploma ... -interests

3D chess. Winning.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

SeattleGriz wrote:Boy, China sure went psycho fast. China blacklisting those that "hurt" China. Like they have been allowing abuse for years.

3D chess. Winning.
China= Dr. Fu Manchu
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Ivytalk wrote:
SeattleGriz wrote:Boy, China sure went psycho fast. China blacklisting those that "hurt" China. Like they have been allowing abuse for years.

3D chess. Winning.
China= Dr. Fu Manchu
The Vengeance of Fu Manchu.