Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Political discussions
User avatar
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4
Posts: 7618
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:26 am
I am a fan of: elaware
Location: East Coast/Hawaii

Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Postby bluehenbillk » Thu May 30, 2019 6:21 am

5 pages on this topic?

Let's face it, the Electoral College will be in place for the rest of our lifetimes. Do you understand the process involved to amend the Constitution? Cmon people...
Make Delaware Football Great Again

User avatar
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
Posts: 15089
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:26 am
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Re: RE: Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Postby ALPHAGRIZ1 » Thu May 30, 2019 7:57 am

mainejeff wrote:I love Mormons.

White? Check
Good looking? Check
Clean cut? Check
Well behaved? Check.
Intelligent? Check
Polite? Check

:coffee:
Hate fags? Check

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Image

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe

User avatar
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 50870
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:40 pm
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate
Location: Just to the right of center

Re: RE: Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Postby AZGrizFan » Thu May 30, 2019 8:25 am

mainejeff wrote:
SeattleGriz wrote:The Mormons I have experience with, were also really good at sticking together. They tend to only associate with other Mormons.


Why would they want to associate with anyone else? They have it all....a perfect white Utopia. No wonder so many jealous Catholics and Baptists make fun of them.

:coffee:


Yes, exactly. That's why they go on these missions to only the white places on the planet to spread their good word....places like Samoa, Central America, PNG, Guam, Philippines, etc., etc.... :dunce: :dunce:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Image

User avatar
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
Posts: 17910
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:36 am
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid
Location: Soon to be Eden Prairie...

Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Postby Chizzang » Thu May 30, 2019 8:57 am

CID1990 wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Mormon here in the Pacific North West
I've worked with many and also find them to be charming and professional and kind

and they don't proselytize because they understand how deranged the core of their faith is
they are the ONLY religion (to my knowledge) that has actively re-written their book (in real time)
to delete out the really stupid stuff as well as actively hide their fundamentalist brothers


:nod:

They get the game...


Well then... sounds like all the older, more "established" religions could benefit from the Mormon model


I've had fun with this idea before with a few of my friends:

It's a bit of a risky gamble for the bedrock Religions...
The establishment Religions have the collective strength of their antiquity
ancient fables and the core tenets from before time (blah blah blah)

If you risk a new miracle story it could backfire
and any additions or subtractions to ancient doctrine could cast suspicion and detract from the core

whereas the new guys risk almost nothing by playing this game
They have no legitimate back story (in some cases) or in Mormonism they have stolen the back story
but their book is muddled and unrefined and needed some serious corrections

it's a fun debate
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus

User avatar
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
Posts: 17910
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:36 am
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid
Location: Soon to be Eden Prairie...

Re: RE: Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Postby Chizzang » Thu May 30, 2019 9:39 am

ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote:
mainejeff wrote:I love Mormons.

White? Check
Good looking? Check
Clean cut? Check
Well behaved? Check.
Intelligent? Check
Polite? Check

:coffee:
Hate fags? Check




Your obsession with "fags" is showing again...
Dback can help you understand yourself and come out of the closet

:nod:

he has a gentle heart
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus

User avatar
Winterborn
Level2
Level2
Posts: 1588
Joined: Wed May 25, 2016 2:33 pm
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups
Location: Wherever I hang my hat

Re: RE: Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Postby Winterborn » Thu May 30, 2019 9:45 am

Chizzang wrote:
ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote:Hate fags? Check




Your obsession with "fags" is showing again...
Dback can help you understand yourself and come out of the closet

:nod:

he has a gentle heart


So Dback follows the Teddy Roosevelt principle of walking softly but carrying a big stick? :kisswink:

User avatar
css75
Level2
Level2
Posts: 2307
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:45 pm

Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Postby css75 » Thu May 30, 2019 11:38 am

mainejeff wrote:I love Mormons.

White? Check
Good looking? Check
Clean cut? Check
Well behaved? Check.
Intelligent? Check
Polite? Check

:coffee:


Actually there a more black Mormons than I would have thought because of the racist history of them. I know of several out here including Thurl Bailey a current Jazz announcer.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User avatar
CID1990
Level5
Level5
Posts: 21127
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:40 am
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990
Location: กรุงเทพมหานคร

Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Postby CID1990 » Thu May 30, 2019 4:12 pm

mainejeff wrote:
SeattleGriz wrote:The Mormons I have experience with, were also really good at sticking together. They tend to only associate with other Mormons.


Why would they want to associate with anyone else? They have it all....a perfect white Utopia. No wonder so many jealous Catholics and Baptists make fun of them.

:coffee:


Judas Priest you are one low information queen

LDS is big in both Africa and Central America- to name a couple brown and black places

They are wildly successful in Nigeria - loads of them are going to BYU on full scholarships


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris

User avatar
CID1990
Level5
Level5
Posts: 21127
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:40 am
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990
Location: กรุงเทพมหานคร

Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Postby CID1990 » Thu May 30, 2019 4:17 pm

Chizzang wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
Well then... sounds like all the older, more "established" religions could benefit from the Mormon model


I've had fun with this idea before with a few of my friends:

It's a bit of a risky gamble for the bedrock Religions...
The establishment Religions have the collective strength of their antiquity
ancient fables and the core tenets from before time (blah blah blah)

If you risk a new miracle story it could backfire
and any additions or subtractions to ancient doctrine could cast suspicion and detract from the core

whereas the new guys risk almost nothing by playing this game
They have no legitimate back story (in some cases) or in Mormonism they have stolen the back story
but their book is muddled and unrefined and needed some serious corrections

it's a fun debate


I went to a Mormon church here in Bangkok recently - ironic that it was my first time in a Mormon church even though I have Mormon cousins

It was for the baptism of a buddy’s daughter. The officiant was a deacon of the church, and also my direct boss at work

I was hoping to witness some weird or goofy stuff ....

Instead, what I got was basically Methodist Lite, with more singing and less hymnals.

And they were more racially mixed than any UMC or AME church I have EVER been in


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris

User avatar
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 11972
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:50 pm
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Postby SDHornet » Thu May 30, 2019 6:01 pm

bluehenbillk wrote:5 pages on this topic?

Let's face it, the Electoral College will be in place for the rest of our lifetimes. Do you understand the process involved to amend the Constitution? Cmon people...

Hey, don't rain on the leftists parade with facts and reason, that shit will get you nowhere. :nod:

User avatar
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
Posts: 17910
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:36 am
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid
Location: Soon to be Eden Prairie...

Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Postby Chizzang » Thu May 30, 2019 6:06 pm

CID1990 wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
I've had fun with this idea before with a few of my friends:

It's a bit of a risky gamble for the bedrock Religions...
The establishment Religions have the collective strength of their antiquity
ancient fables and the core tenets from before time (blah blah blah)

If you risk a new miracle story it could backfire
and any additions or subtractions to ancient doctrine could cast suspicion and detract from the core

whereas the new guys risk almost nothing by playing this game
They have no legitimate back story (in some cases) or in Mormonism they have stolen the back story
but their book is muddled and unrefined and needed some serious corrections

it's a fun debate


I went to a Mormon church here in Bangkok recently - ironic that it was my first time in a Mormon church even though I have Mormon cousins

It was for the baptism of a buddy’s daughter. The officiant was a deacon of the church, and also my direct boss at work

I was hoping to witness some weird or goofy stuff ....

Instead, what I got was basically Methodist Lite, with more singing and less hymnals.

And they were more racially mixed than any UMC or AME church I have EVER been in



Second fastest growing religion on earth...
Second only to Islam

:nod:
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus

User avatar
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 11366
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:29 am
I am a fan of: William & Mary
Location: Republic of Texas

Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Postby Col Hogan » Thu May 30, 2019 6:14 pm

Jack Mormons are the best...
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

User avatar
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
Posts: 17436
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:47 pm
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Postby JohnStOnge » Thu May 30, 2019 6:26 pm

bluehenbillk wrote:5 pages on this topic?

Let's face it, the Electoral College will be in place for the rest of our lifetimes. Do you understand the process involved to amend the Constitution? Cmon people...


Yes I understand that Amending the Constitution requires overwhelming public consensus. And I think that is a good thing.

However, polls have consistently indicated that a substantial majority favors getting rid of Electoral system. It's not to the point of saying we can do it yet. But it's not an impossible situation in the long term.

Right now Republicans like the Electoral system because, during the past 5 Presidential elections, they've won twice through the Electoral system while losing the popular vote. But things are evolving in a way that is likely to make them HATE the system.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Image

User avatar
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 11972
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:50 pm
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Postby SDHornet » Thu May 30, 2019 6:31 pm

JohnStOnge wrote:
bluehenbillk wrote:5 pages on this topic?

Let's face it, the Electoral College will be in place for the rest of our lifetimes. Do you understand the process involved to amend the Constitution? Cmon people...


Yes I understand that Amending the Constitution requires overwhelming public consensus. And I think that is a good thing.

However, polls have consistently indicated that a substantial majority favors getting rid of Electoral system. It's not to the point of saying we can do it yet. But it's not an impossible situation in the long term.

Right now Republicans like the Electoral system because, during the past 5 Presidential elections, they've won twice through the Electoral system while losing the popular vote. But things are evolving in a way that is likely to make them HATE the system.

So you hate the EC because "polls"? :? :lol:

I can't think of a reason more retarded than that. :rofl:

User avatar
css75
Level2
Level2
Posts: 2307
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:45 pm

Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Postby css75 » Thu May 30, 2019 6:49 pm

Chizzang wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
I went to a Mormon church here in Bangkok recently - ironic that it was my first time in a Mormon church even though I have Mormon cousins

It was for the baptism of a buddy’s daughter. The officiant was a deacon of the church, and also my direct boss at work

I was hoping to witness some weird or goofy stuff ....

Instead, what I got was basically Methodist Lite, with more singing and less hymnals.

And they were more racially mixed than any UMC or AME church I have EVER been in



Second fastest growing religion on earth...
Second only to Islam

:nod:


Not anymore, they are losing members in Utah, and that is not counting the ones who go jack and the church does not remove them from the count.

They fit the classical definition of a cult here in Utah. Leadership is very controlling and members are expected to do many tasks. If they miss paying a tithe, a member or leader will go to there house and collect.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User avatar
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
Posts: 15089
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:26 am
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Postby ALPHAGRIZ1 » Thu May 30, 2019 7:19 pm

Chizzang wrote:
ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote:Hate fags? Check




Your obsession with "fags" is showing again...
Dback can help you understand yourself and come out of the closet

:nod:

he has a gentle heart
Shut it fag

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Image

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe

User avatar
CID1990
Level5
Level5
Posts: 21127
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:40 am
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990
Location: กรุงเทพมหานคร

Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Postby CID1990 » Thu May 30, 2019 9:05 pm

Chizzang wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
I went to a Mormon church here in Bangkok recently - ironic that it was my first time in a Mormon church even though I have Mormon cousins

It was for the baptism of a buddy’s daughter. The officiant was a deacon of the church, and also my direct boss at work

I was hoping to witness some weird or goofy stuff ....

Instead, what I got was basically Methodist Lite, with more singing and less hymnals.

And they were more racially mixed than any UMC or AME church I have EVER been in



Second fastest growing religion on earth...
Second only to Islam

:nod:


I think humans are religious beings... because we have to have an explanation for everything. Only children can be happy and content with mysteries - like the tooth fairy or Santa

But once we are adults we cannot stand the unknowns. Some of us become scientists or at least consumers of scientific inquiry. The rest of us are religious (and there is plenty of overlap between the two)

All of that said^^^ I think that because of those things, as a species we will never lose our religion - because we will never figure it ALL out. Some things will always be beyond the limits of understanding. If mankind has to contend with various religions moving forward, I would not put Mormonism high on the list of religions that scare me. Maybe they don't practice what their forefathers said they should but what they actually DO isn't all that bad.

It's kind of nice, actually
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris

User avatar
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 42016
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 pm
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: klam
Location: Northern Palouse

Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Postby kalm » Fri May 31, 2019 4:06 am

SDHornet wrote:
Ibanez wrote:Why can't someone argue that the reason the economy is doing well is because of something a previous administration has done. Isn't that what is said about the 1990s? That Clinton was enjoying the benefits of Reagan policies? It often takes years for the effects of policies, legislation, initiatives, etc... to be felt and measured. I'm not saying that business don't like a Trump administration, but i'm not sure as to how much credit belongs to Obama/Biden vs Trump?pence. :twocents:

Your just trolling AZ to get him to post the long list of economic milestones since Trump took over.

Any normal person would just look at their most recent 401k statements and realize the difference all by themselves. :coffee:


President Biden better not take credit for this.... 8-)

A New Congressional Study Finds Little Economic Benefit From The 2017 Tax Cuts
Howard GleckmanSenior Contributor
Personal Finance
I cover tax, budget and retirement policy from Washington

https://www.forbes.com/sites/howardglec ... df99f2549e
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
mainejeff
Level3
Level3
Posts: 4472
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:43 am
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Postby mainejeff » Fri May 31, 2019 5:28 am

Chizzang wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
I went to a Mormon church here in Bangkok recently - ironic that it was my first time in a Mormon church even though I have Mormon cousins

It was for the baptism of a buddy’s daughter. The officiant was a deacon of the church, and also my direct boss at work

I was hoping to witness some weird or goofy stuff ....

Instead, what I got was basically Methodist Lite, with more singing and less hymnals.

And they were more racially mixed than any UMC or AME church I have EVER been in



Second fastest growing religion on earth...
Second only to Islam

:nod:


The Mormons have discovered the secret to growing their religion.....have standards that weed out undesirables. Show people how great they are.....rather than forcing stuff down people's throats with angry ugly old white men. :nod:

:coffee:
Go Black Bears!

User avatar
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
Posts: 17910
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:36 am
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid
Location: Soon to be Eden Prairie...

Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Postby Chizzang » Fri May 31, 2019 7:11 am

CID1990 wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
Second fastest growing religion on earth...
Second only to Islam

:nod:


I think humans are religious beings... because we have to have an explanation for everything. Only children can be happy and content with mysteries - like the tooth fairy or Santa

But once we are adults we cannot stand the unknowns. Some of us become scientists or at least consumers of scientific inquiry. The rest of us are religious (and there is plenty of overlap between the two)

All of that said^^^ I think that because of those things, as a species we will never lose our religion - because we will never figure it ALL out. Some things will always be beyond the limits of understanding. If mankind has to contend with various religions moving forward, I would not put Mormonism high on the list of religions that scare me. Maybe they don't practice what their forefathers said they should but what they actually DO isn't all that bad.

It's kind of nice, actually


Absolutely agree ^ that we are religious beings
but to me it feels more like because we need to feel eternally connected
and need an explanation as to what comes next - because this can't be all there is

Humans by a vast majority do not believe death is the end (for themselves)
yet (strangely many) are perfectly fine believing that other living things just die

:lol:

and we attach that "eternity" to a personal definition of "sentient"
I suffer I feel and I recognize myself the mirror therefore I go on forever

:lol:
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus

User avatar
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 11972
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:50 pm
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Postby SDHornet » Fri May 31, 2019 7:51 am

kalm wrote:
SDHornet wrote:Your just trolling AZ to get him to post the long list of economic milestones since Trump took over.

Any normal person would just look at their most recent 401k statements and realize the difference all by themselves. :coffee:


President Biden better not take credit for this.... 8-)

A New Congressional Study Finds Little Economic Benefit From The 2017 Tax Cuts
Howard GleckmanSenior Contributor
Personal Finance
I cover tax, budget and retirement policy from Washington

https://www.forbes.com/sites/howardglec ... df99f2549e

Trumps deregulation has more to do with keeping the economy booming than his tax cut. I think chizzy covered this already.

User avatar
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 10158
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:39 pm
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO
Location: The Panther State

Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Postby HI54UNI » Fri May 31, 2019 7:59 am

I see the Democrat Nevada gov has vetoed the bill to join the popular vote compact. He said the bill, “could diminish the role of smaller states like Nevada in national electoral contests and force Nevada’s electors to side with whoever wins the nationwide popular vote, rather than the candidate Nevadans choose.”

So there are some Democrats that get it.
Image

All my posts are satire.

User avatar
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 42016
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 pm
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: klam
Location: Northern Palouse

Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Postby kalm » Fri May 31, 2019 8:22 am

SDHornet wrote:
kalm wrote:
President Biden better not take credit for this.... 8-)

A New Congressional Study Finds Little Economic Benefit From The 2017 Tax Cuts
Howard GleckmanSenior Contributor
Personal Finance
I cover tax, budget and retirement policy from Washington

https://www.forbes.com/sites/howardglec ... df99f2549e

Trumps deregulation has more to do with keeping the economy booming than his tax cut. I think chizzy covered this already.


Could be.

So list the deregulations and let’s discuss it.
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 11972
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:50 pm
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Postby SDHornet » Fri May 31, 2019 8:43 am

kalm wrote:
SDHornet wrote:Trumps deregulation has more to do with keeping the economy booming than his tax cut. I think chizzy covered this already.


Could be.

So list the deregulations and let’s discuss it.

Here's a tracker the Brookings Institute has, enjoy:
https://www.brookings.edu/interactives/tracking-deregulation-in-the-trump-era/

:coffee:

User avatar
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 50870
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:40 pm
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate
Location: Just to the right of center

Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Postby AZGrizFan » Fri May 31, 2019 8:47 am

HI54UNI wrote:I see the Democrat Nevada gov has vetoed the bill to join the popular vote compact. He said the bill, “could diminish the role of smaller states like Nevada in national electoral contests and force Nevada’s electors to side with whoever wins the nationwide popular vote, rather than the candidate Nevadans choose.”

So there are some Democrats that get it.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Image


Return to “Politics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kalm and 47 guests