andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Re: Mexican Tariffs

Post by andy7171 »

mainejeff2 wrote:
andy7171 wrote:Question. It's going to be a tariff on Mexico. Why are people talking about paying 0.05$ more a taco. Or 0.25$ more for a burritto. The **** is made here. Taco Bell or Qdoba, doesn't import their food from south of the border! MaineJeff is a dipshit!
Yeah....I'm the dipshit. :roll:

Kiss my ass Randy. :thumb:

:coffee:
ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Looks like Mexico is finally taking steps to control/seal their southern border. Gee, I wonder what prompted them to do that?
https://reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN1T62YC
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

CID1990 wrote:Mexico has come to the table over a possible “first safe country” deal

It looks like they may pay the danegeld

stay tuned

Wouldn't America be paying the danegeld, or tax, to Mexico and the CA countries to avoid invasion and our lands being ravaged? :coffee:

I guess so, it's a kind of tribute.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

BDKJMU wrote:Looks like Mexico is finally taking steps to control/seal their southern border. Gee, I wonder what prompted them to do that?
And with a government and populace as trustworthy as Mexico, I'm sure they'll stick to the deal for decades and nobody will take bribes from coyotes, cartels, and other movers of cargo and bodies.

I feel safer already.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

93henfan wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:Looks like Mexico is finally taking steps to control/seal their southern border. Gee, I wonder what prompted them to do that?
And with a government and populace as trustworthy as Mexico, I'm sure they'll stick to the deal for decades and nobody will take bribes from coyotes, cartels, and other movers of cargo and bodies.

I feel safer already.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Ibanez wrote:
CID1990 wrote:Mexico has come to the table over a possible “first safe country” deal

It looks like they may pay the danegeld

stay tuned

Wouldn't America be paying the danegeld, or tax, to Mexico and the CA countries to avoid invasion and our lands being ravaged? :coffee:

I guess, depending on your point of view ... you could see it that way

I see the executive threatening Mexico with tariffs and then I see Mexico blinking

maybe

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

CID1990 wrote:
Ibanez wrote: Wouldn't America be paying the danegeld, or tax, to Mexico and the CA countries to avoid invasion and our lands being ravaged? :coffee:

I guess, depending on your point of view ... you could see it that way

I see the executive threatening Mexico with tariffs and then I see Mexico blinking

maybe

I'm coming from the POV that the Danes were payed to leave the Anglo-Saxons alone.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

93henfan wrote:

I feel safer already.
Aside from that, the United States has no legitimate right to interfere with what Mexico wants to do in terms of letting people cross its southern border. It's just flat wrong for Trump to be doing this.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

JohnStOnge wrote:
93henfan wrote:

I feel safer already.
Aside from that, the United States has no legitimate right to interfere with what Mexico wants to do in terms of letting people cross its southern border. It's just flat wrong for Trump to be doing this.
Wrong. Mexico is violating 1st country of asylum.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

JohnStOnge wrote:
93henfan wrote:

I feel safer already.
Right and wrong have never been more meaningless than right now...
Regardless Mexico is completely corrupt
so who cares what they think

:nod:

also:
a Mexican revolution is about 50 years overdue
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Mexican Tariffs

Post by CID1990 »

JohnStOnge wrote:
93henfan wrote:

I feel safer already.
We have the right to do whatever they agree for us to do, John.

It is called diplomacy - which is exactly what happened here

We simply reminded them that they need us MUCH more than we need them.

“Diplomacy is the ability to tell people to go to Hell in a way that they look forward to the trip.”

It is unfortunate that you have slipped too far to see that this was a diplomatic win.

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Re: RE: Mexican Tariffs

Post by SeattleGriz »

CID1990 wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:
We have the right to do whatever they agree for us to do, John.

It is called diplomacy - which is exactly what happened here

We simply reminded them that they need us MUCH more than we need them.

“Diplomacy is the ability to tell people to go to Hell in a way that they look forward to the trip.”

It is unfortunate that you have slipped too far to see that this was a diplomatic win.

No shit. Especially considering the current Mexican President is very open borders.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Sounds like catch and release just took a big hit.

3D Chess.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

93henfan wrote:This has no teeth to it whatsoever and Trump will back down. Grassley (R) has already condemned it. Next will be the automakers, as a LOT of models from Ford, GM, Toyota, Mazda, and VW (off the top of my head) come from Mexico and you can't just flip a switch and make a new factory and supply chain appear in Detroit.

Trump's game is getting tired.

And conflating immigration with trade is asinine.

PS. China is about to put a block on rare earth metals, so that'll be over soon too.
“....Under the deal, Mexico agreed to expand its policy of taking back migrants from violence-riven Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador as the United States processes their asylum claims.

Mexico will also use its new National Guard nationwide to crack down on illegal migration, in particular along its southern border with Guatemala, a gateway for poor Central Americans hoping to reach the US....”
https://news.yahoo.com/us-warns-mexico- ... 15953.html

Sounds like winning to me, even if Mexico only keeps up their end of the bargain through this year.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

SeattleGriz wrote:Sounds like catch and release just took a big hit.

3D Chess.
Yep.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

So another Trump win?

Wonderful. 8-)
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Guys, we will see what happens. You have to understand that Trump is a person who believes in acting like he accomplished something when he didn't. If we look back at this point later and are able to point to data that says what just happened had a lasting effect on the illegal immigration thing then we can say yes what he did worked.

But you need only look at the "Art of the Deal Book" to see how he thinks. You can access the full text at https://archive.org/stream/TrumpDonaldT ... l_djvu.txt. You can do a "find" on dirt and find the part where he scammed Holiday Inn people by having construction people move dirt around to make it look like something was going on when nothing was really going on.

Also you can do a "find" on "want to believe" to see him saying he'll exaggerate in order to take advantage of what people want to believe.

I've already heard people, with Buttigieg being one of them, say that nothing much really happened with Mexico. Buttigieg said it was just a face saving exercise. Trump didn't really get much but needed to act like he did so he could back down on the tariffs. I saw a talking head claim that just about everything annoucned is stuff Mexico had already said it would do months ago.

Are they correct? I don't know. But I also won't think Trump really accomplished anything unless and until I see some evidence of an effect.

BTW even if the data end up suggesting what he did had the effect he wanted I will continue to think it was wrong for Trump to use a tariff threat like that to pressure another sovereign nation with respect to what it does with its southern border.
Could I ever be a star?

ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

SDHornet wrote:So another Trump win?

Wonderful. 8-)
Trump did win AGAIN but lets face it Mexico will fuck this up worse than their country. Even if Mexico tries they will only do it for 5 more years of the Trump presidency then they will resort back to the same old shit while the next president wont have the balls to do what Trump did.

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: RE: Re: Mexican Tariffs

Post by UNI88 »

JohnStOnge wrote:You have to understand that I am a person who believes Trump accomplished nothing even when he did and I will ignore any evidence that shows he did.
FYP

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Re: RE: Re: Mexican Tariffs

Post by JohnStOnge »

UNI88 wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:You have to understand that I am a person who believes Trump accomplished nothing even when he did and I will ignore any evidence that shows he did.
FYP

You can do that. But if the data show an association between this and a significant change in the situation I will say so.

And you do have to understand that Trump is a con man. He will indeed say something is going on when it's not. He described himself as such in his own book. And we've seen it many times since.

It's like with the NAFTA thing. He spent a bunch of time saying it was the worst deal ever. Then he made a big deal in getting into negotiations about it. And the negotiations resulted in some minor tweaking. Then he renamed it. But the truth is that it's still basically the same deal that he called the worst deal ever.

That's what he does.

You say I ignore evidence that "shows he did." I do not. What I do is lay the numbers out and show that the the numbers don't provide evidence to support what he and his supporters are claiming.
Could I ever be a star?

CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

JohnStOnge wrote:Guys, we will see what happens. You have to understand that Trump is a person who believes in acting like he accomplished something when he didn't. If we look back at this point later and are able to point to data that says what just happened had a lasting effect on the illegal immigration thing then we can say yes what he did worked.

But you need only look at the "Art of the Deal Book" to see how he thinks. You can access the full text at https://archive.org/stream/TrumpDonaldT ... l_djvu.txt. You can do a "find" on dirt and find the part where he scammed Holiday Inn people by having construction people move dirt around to make it look like something was going on when nothing was really going on.

Also you can do a "find" on "want to believe" to see him saying he'll exaggerate in order to take advantage of what people want to believe.

I've already heard people, with Buttigieg being one of them, say that nothing much really happened with Mexico. Buttigieg said it was just a face saving exercise. Trump didn't really get much but needed to act like he did so he could back down on the tariffs. I saw a talking head claim that just about everything annoucned is stuff Mexico had already said it would do months ago.

Are they correct? I don't know. But I also won't think Trump really accomplished anything unless and until I see some evidence of an effect.

BTW even if the data end up suggesting what he did had the effect he wanted I will continue to think it was wrong for Trump to use a tariff threat like that to pressure another sovereign nation with respect to what it does with its southern border.
You think it’s wrong for Trump to use a tariff threat - check

That’s purely “because Trump”, John.

There’s no other reason for you to be against using a financial lever in negotiations - we’ve been doing it since we’ve been a country. Only now are you against it.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Mexican Tariffs

Post by UNI88 »

JohnStOnge wrote:
UNI88 wrote:
FYP

You can do that. But if the data show an association between this and a significant change in the situation I will say so.

And you do have to understand that Trump is a con man. He will indeed say something is going on when it's not. He described himself as such in his own book. And we've seen it many times since.

It's like with the NAFTA thing. He spent a bunch of time saying it was the worst deal ever. Then he made a big deal in getting into negotiations about it. And the negotiations resulted in some minor tweaking. Then he renamed it. But the truth is that it's still basically the same deal that he called the worst deal ever.

That's what he does.

You say I ignore evidence that "shows he did." I do not. What I do is lay the numbers out and show that the the numbers don't provide evidence to support what he and his supporters are claiming.
I know Trump is a con man. But I'm also able to be intellectually honest and admit he's done some good things and had positive accomplishments.

You focus on quantitative evidence and ignore qualitative evidence.

Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

CID1990 wrote:
You think it’s wrong for Trump to use a tariff threat - check

That’s purely “because Trump”, John.

There’s no other reason for you to be against using a financial lever in negotiations - we’ve been doing it since we’ve been a country. Only now are you against it.
If we have ever used financial levers in an attempt to change another country's practice with respect to who it allows to enter it I am not aware of it happening. This is not using economic sanctions to, say, pressure Iran into reducing support for Islamic insurgents outside of its borders. This is telling a sovereign nation that it cannot choose to allow people into its jurisdiction.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Mexican Tariffs

Post by JohnStOnge »

UNI88 wrote:
I know Trump is a con man. But I'm also able to be intellectually honest and admit he's done some good things and had positive accomplishments.

First I must say that I woke up on November 9, 2016, thinking the economy was going to suffer from Trump being elected. I thought, for example, that people would flee the stock market because an unstable, mentally ill person was going to be in that position. I did not think people would want to bet on the future under that circumstance and that they would try to cut their losses. And I thought that if he launched into the protectionist economic plans that would hurt the economy.

The data do not suggest that happened so I was wrong. I have no problem saying that.

I do focus on quantitative evidence and I think that if someone is going to claim they've improved something they need to be able to measure that improvement. I think there are instances in which quantitative assessment is not needed. If you're walking through Chicago, you see someone shoot someone else, and the someone else dies you don't need quantitative analysis to say getting shot resulted in death. But something like saying a President caused a change in the economy is different. In my opinion you can never show cause and effect. And if one is going to say that there is even suggestion of cause and effect one needs to, or SHOULD need to, show that there is evidence in the economic data of a change beyond the variation that has been occurring in the recent past.
Could I ever be a star?

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Mexican Tariffs

Post by SeattleGriz »

JohnStOnge wrote:
UNI88 wrote:

First I must say that I woke up on November 9, 2016, thinking the economy was going to suffer from Trump being elected. I thought, for example, that people would flee the stock market because an unstable, mentally ill person was going to be in that position. I did not think people would want to bet on the future under that circumstance and that they would try to cut their losses. And I thought that if he launched into the protectionist economic plans that would hurt the economy.

The data do not suggest that happened so I was wrong. I have no problem saying that.

I do focus on quantitative evidence and I think that if someone is going to claim they've improved something they need to be able to measure that improvement. I think there are instances in which quantitative assessment is not needed. If you're walking through Chicago, you see someone shoot someone else, and the someone else dies you don't need quantitative analysis to say getting shot resulted in death. But something like saying a President caused a change in the economy is different. In my opinion you can never show cause and effect. And if one is going to say that there is even suggestion of cause and effect one needs to, or SHOULD need to, show that there is evidence in the economic data of a change beyond the variation that has been occurring in the recent past.
This might speak some of your language.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/LL-XB7rw4OM[/youtube]