Political discussions
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Justin Amash declares his independence

Post by dbackjon »

Michigan representative Justin Amash - who is one of the few on the right to completely read the Mueller report and then having read it understood that Donald Trump must be impeached, left the GOP today

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... 4e5TeVtGRK
:thumb:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: Justin Amash declares his independence

Post by Ibanez »

Good for him.

Unfortunately he will he chastised for having an opinion. I can’t wait to read whatever tweet Trump can muster up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

So he’ll run for re-election as an independent, where he’ll have a better chance of re-election than as a Republican. Straight-ballot voting in MI may still hurt him.

Libertarian Twitter feeds are blowing up today, but he probably won’t go LP. :twocents:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
CitadelGrad
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Jack Kerouac
A.K.A.: El Cid

Post by CitadelGrad »

dbackjon wrote:Michigan representative Justin Amash - who is one of the few on the right to completely read the Mueller report and then having read it understood that Donald Trump must be impeached, left the GOP today

He left the GOP because he knew he was going to be primaried.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

- Thomas Jefferson, in letter to William S. Smith, 1787

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

CitadelGrad wrote:
dbackjon wrote:Michigan representative Justin Amash - who is one of the few on the right to completely read the Mueller report and then having read it understood that Donald Trump must be impeached, left the GOP today

Of course. He’s already down double digits in the polls to a Trumpbot. He wants to stay politically relevant, and an independent run may be the only way to do that. I guarantee you that he speaks for a bigger slice of America than the media give him credit for.
CitadelGrad
Level4
Level4

Post by CitadelGrad »

Ivytalk wrote:
CitadelGrad wrote:
Of course. He’s already down double digits in the polls to a Trumpbot. He wants to stay politically relevant, and an independent run may be the only way to do that. I guarantee you that he speaks for a bigger slice of America than the media give him credit for.
If that were true, he probably wouldn't be down double digits.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: RE: Re: Justin Amash declares his independence

Post by UNI88 »

CitadelGrad wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: Of course. He’s already down double digits in the polls to a Trumpbot. He wants to stay politically relevant, and an independent run may be the only way to do that. I guarantee you that he speaks for a bigger slice of America than the media give him credit for.
Being down by double digits in the Conk primary which is dominated by the far right fringe (just like the Donk primary is dominated by the far left fringe) doesn't mean he doesn't speak for the big slice of America in the middle.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
CitadelGrad
Level4
Level4

Post by CitadelGrad »

UNI88 wrote:
CitadelGrad wrote:
Being down by double digits in the Conk primary which is dominated by the far right fringe (just like the Donk primary is dominated by the far left fringe) doesn't mean he doesn't speak for the big slice of America in the middle.

Does the big slice in the American middle want Trump impeached or believe the bullshit Russian collusion story?

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Justin Amash declares his independence

Post by UNI88 »

CitadelGrad wrote:
UNI88 wrote:

Does the big slice in the American middle want Trump impeached or believe the bullshit Russian collusion story?
I don't think so. Of course I also don't think they wanted Obama removed or believed the bullshit birther story that the right wingnuts made such a big deal of.

Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

CitadelGrad wrote:
UNI88 wrote:

About half of them do.

(Depending on what you view as the middle)
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

"The two-party system has evolved into an existential threat to American principles and institutions”

That’s true^^^^^

As soon as Trump is gone and Kamala Harris is President you lefties will go back to trashing people like Amash. But for now, yeah go team

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

CID1990 wrote:"The two-party system has evolved into an existential threat to American principles and institutions”

That’s true^^^^^

As soon as Trump is gone and Kamala Harris is President you lefties will go back to trashing people like Amash. But for now, yeah go team
Do you mean Trump..?
or Lefties..?

Trump has called Amash "a total lightweight" and "a loser who sadly plays right into our opponents hands!” on social media.
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Chizzang wrote:
CID1990 wrote:"The two-party system has evolved into an existential threat to American principles and institutions”

That’s true^^^^^

Do you mean Trump..?
or Lefties..?

Trump has called Amash "a total lightweight" and "a loser who sadly plays right into our opponents hands!” on social media.
I think it is already well established that anyone who doesn’t march in lockstep with Trump is a loser, and sad!

So the answer is both - except Trump is bashing Amash now and then we’ll hear no more about it unless Amash runs for the LP nomination

But once Trump is gone, Amash will go back to being a caveman who wants to starve babies and give in to Comcast

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

CitadelGrad wrote:

He took the high road. That's the thing. It's like when people acted like there is something wrong with what Jeff Flake did. Jeff Flake knew that he could not, in the context of what's going on in the Republican Party right now, maintain integrity and principle and get through a Republican Primary. So he left. That's not cowardice. That's integrity.

Same with Amash. He realizes that he cannot maintain integrity and win a Republican primary right now.

The slime balls are those Republicans like Lindsay Graham, Mitch McConnell, Kevin McCarthy, et. al. who suck up to the atrocity that is Trump because they want to get through Republican primaries. They will not speak the truth.

Jeff Flake spoke the truth. Jusin Amash speaks the truth. And the fact that they are no longer Republican office holders is not a poor reflection on them. It's a poor reflection on the Republican Party.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Is it ok that I liked Amash before he left the party?
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote:Good for him.

Unfortunately he will he chastised for having an opinion. I can’t wait to read whatever tweet Trump can muster up.

What opinion is that? I'm leaving the Republican party. Impeach Trump!
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

kalm wrote:Is it ok that I liked Amash before he left the party?
Well the common election season tropes have never really been your schtick, so, I'll allow it.

(fiscal conservatism = starving babies, etc etc)
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

JohnStOnge wrote:
CitadelGrad wrote:
He took the high road. That's the thing. It's like when people acted like there is something wrong with what Jeff Flake did. Jeff Flake knew that he could not, in the context of what's going on in the Republican Party right now, maintain integrity and principle and get through a Republican Primary. So he left. That's not cowardice. That's integrity.

Same with Amash. He realizes that he cannot maintain integrity and win a Republican primary right now.

The slime balls are those Republicans like Lindsay Graham, Mitch McConnell, Kevin McCarthy, et. al. who suck up to the atrocity that is Trump because they want to get through Republican primaries. They will not speak the truth.

Jeff Flake spoke the truth. Jusin Amash speaks the truth. And the fact that they are no longer Republican office holders is not a poor reflection on them. It's a poor reflection on the Republican Party.
But Jeff Flake is still a Republican. And, rather than switch to independent, Flake pulled a “brave, brave Sir Robin” and buggered off. He’s now a well-compensated consultant to CBS News, thus becoming the MSM’s favorite Republican du jour.

Equating Jeff Flake with Justin Amash doesn’t pass the laugh test. :dunce:
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Ivytalk wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

But Jeff Flake is still a Republican. And, rather than switch to independent, Flake pulled a “brave, brave Sir Robin” and buggered off. He’s now a well-compensated consultant to CBS News, thus becoming the MSM’s favorite Republican du jour.

I was about to go there also

There is a definite distinction between the two

Also, for all his big talk, Flake voted almost completely in sync with the Trump bloc in the Senate

89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Sure you did. :lol:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:
Sure you did. :lol:
Go back and search my posts, dork. I was one of the first on here to recognize Amash, as well as Ben Sasse from Nebraska. Some of us actually respect principled, honest players instead of partisan hackishness.

Good luck! :thumb:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:
89Hen wrote: Sure you did. :lol:
Go back and search my posts, dork. I was one of the first on here to recognize Amash, as well as Ben Sasse from Nebraska. Some of us actually respect principled, honest players instead of partisan hackishness.

Wow, touchy... maybe I came closer to the truth on what was a joke response. Did you like Amash before or after he came out in favor of impeachment? :lol:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:
kalm wrote:

Wow, touchy... maybe I came closer to the truth on what was a joke response. Did you like Amash before or after he came out in favor of impeachment? :lol:
Before that too. :coffee:
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

CID1990 wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: But Jeff Flake is still a Republican. And, rather than switch to independent, Flake pulled a “brave, brave Sir Robin” and buggered off. He’s now a well-compensated consultant to CBS News, thus becoming the MSM’s favorite Republican du jour.

Also, for all his big talk, Flake voted almost completely in sync with the Trump bloc in the Senate

They took different paths. But neither of them went down the road of sacrificing their integrity in order to stay in office as a Republican. Flake chose to give up his office. Amash may try to stay in office as an independent.

Also, it's not so much about how Flake and Amash voted. It's about the fact that they were willing to publicly State that Trump's dishonest and otherwise atrocious behavior is not acceptable in a President. Amash is correct in saying he should be impeached. I checked the Mueller report to make sure he was accurate when he said that report indicates Trump directed McGhan to create a false record to deny that Trump told McGhan to see to it that Mueller was removed. And it does. The report does indicate that he directed McGhan to see to it that Mueller was removed and it does say Trump directed him to create a false record saying he did not. There is no way someone who would do that in the context of an investigation like that should be allowed to remain as President of the United States.

I thought Clinton should have been removed for lying but, to me, his offense was not nearly as serious as Trump's.

We all know that if a Democrat President did what Amash cited as his reason for saying Trump should be impeached the Republicans in Congress would be unanimous in demanding his or her removal from office. And it's possible that the Democrats would be acting like the Republicans are now.

That strongly speaks to Amash's integrity. He is a rare bird. He is speaking the truth instead of maintaining a Party line even when that Party line is wrong.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Justin Amash declares his independence

Post by CID1990 »

JohnStOnge wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

They took different paths. But neither of them went down the road of sacrificing their integrity in order to stay in office as a Republican. Flake chose to give up his office. Amash may try to stay in office as an independent.

Also, it's not so much about how Flake and Amash voted. It's about the fact that they were willing to publicly State that Trump's dishonest and otherwise atrocious behavior is not acceptable in a President. Amash is correct in saying he should be impeached. I checked the Mueller report to make sure he was accurate when he said that report indicates Trump directed McGhan to create a false record to deny that Trump told McGhan to see to it that Mueller was removed. And it does. The report does indicate that he directed McGhan to see to it that Mueller was removed and it does say Trump directed him to create a false record saying he did not. There is no way someone who would do that in the context of an investigation like that should be allowed to remain as President of the United States.

I thought Clinton should have been removed for lying but, to me, his offense was not nearly as serious as Trump's.

We all know that if a Democrat President did what Amash cited as his reason for saying Trump should be impeached the Republicans in Congress would be unanimous in demanding his or her removal from office. And it's possible that the Democrats would be acting like the Republicans are now.

That strongly speaks to Amash's integrity. He is a rare bird. He is speaking the truth instead of maintaining a Party line even when that Party line is wrong.
Hey John

Defend Flake’s voting record

Almost completely in lockstep with Trimp the Chimp

Look it up