Political discussions
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Excused Mental Health Days

Post by kalm »

The further pussification of 'Murica or kinder, gentler society?
July 21, 2019, 12:52 PM PDT
By Associated Press
SALEM, Oregon — Oregon will allow students to take "mental health days" just as they would sick days, expanding the reasons for excused school absences to include mental or behavioral health under a new law that experts say is one of the first of its kind in the U.S.

But don't call it coddling. The students behind the measure say it's meant to change the stigma around mental health in a state that has some of the United States' highest suicide rates. Mental health experts say it is one of the first state laws to explicitly instruct schools to treat mental health and physical health equally, and it comes at a time educators are increasingly considering the emotional health of students. Utah passed a similar law last year.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ne ... KhLoBJuGes
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Excused Mental Health Days

Post by 93henfan »

France instituted mental health days in its schools near the end of the Napoleanic wars.

Or so I'm told.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

You don’t need to take a day off to kill yourself. It’s usually an excused absence anyway
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

I thought this was going to be about Trump.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

JohnStOnge wrote:I thought this was going to be about Trump.
I thought this was going to be about you.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Ivytalk wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:I thought this was going to be about Trump.
Uh huh. I'm not President of the United States. You, I, and everyone else in this country now have a problem with a mentally ill person in that position. And I know you really know that.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

JohnStOnge wrote:
Ivytalk wrote:
Uh huh. I'm not President of the United States. You, I, and everyone else in this country now have a problem with a mentally ill person in that position. And I know you really know that.
Triggered! :lol:

I can sleep at night with Trump in the WH. BTW, who’s the douchebag in your avatar?
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

mainejeff2 wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: Triggered! :lol:
Hillary.

:coffee:
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote:The further pussification of 'Murica or kinder, gentler society?
July 21, 2019, 12:52 PM PDT
By Associated Press
SALEM, Oregon — Oregon will allow students to take "mental health days" just as they would sick days, expanding the reasons for excused school absences to include mental or behavioral health under a new law that experts say is one of the first of its kind in the U.S.

But don't call it coddling. The students behind the measure say it's meant to change the stigma around mental health in a state that has some of the United States' highest suicide rates. Mental health experts say it is one of the first state laws to explicitly instruct schools to treat mental health and physical health equally, and it comes at a time educators are increasingly considering the emotional health of students. Utah passed a similar law last year.
My first thought is do they have the research to back up their claims or is just a feel good thing by the students/admin?

Personally I don't care. If I had kids and the school fit all the other requirements I would still let them attend, granted if they took a day off they would be put to work in some way. :twocents:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Winterborn wrote:

My first thought is do they have the research to back up their claims or is just a feel good thing by the students/admin?

Personally I don't care. If I had kids and the school fit all the other requirements I would still let them attend, granted if they took a day off they would be put to work in some way. :twocents:
Those days I left school at noon and sat on the tractor until 9pm.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

Winterborn wrote:

Having a wife/large friend group that works in the MH field - there is significant research pointing to the positives of taking mental health days for the employee AND employer. I haven't seen any in regards to school, but I can't imagine results would/should be different.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

clenz wrote:
Winterborn wrote:

Having a wife/large friend group that works in the MH field - there is significant research pointing to the positives of taking mental health days for the employee AND employer. I haven't seen any in regards to school, but I can't imagine results would/should be different.

If there is settled research in the field, then I am fine with schools incorporating into the schedule. My only complaint would be if the schools are instituting it in a hap hazard way or for the wrong reasons. Maybe let the school psychologist decided if the child can be excused for a day. That way there is some consistency in administering the day off.

I agree that a change of pace/setting can be very refreshing and can help clear the mind. IF I had kids, just because they didn't have to be in class that day, I would still keep they busy in something that would allow them a break but not be idle. Sometimes the best way to relax is not to do nothing but just do a task that you can turn off ones brain for a bit and run on autopilot.

For me it is mowing lawn, picking rocks, or doing one of the dozen of tasks that I considered chores/work growing up but now as an adult I find that I have done them so much that they are relaxing.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Gil Dobie wrote:
Winterborn wrote:

Those days I left school at noon and sat on the tractor until 9pm.
Same here. :thumb:

clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

Winterborn wrote:
clenz wrote: Having a wife/large friend group that works in the MH field - there is significant research pointing to the positives of taking mental health days for the employee AND employer. I haven't seen any in regards to school, but I can't imagine results would/should be different.

If there is settled research in the field, then I am fine with schools incorporating into the schedule. My only complaint would be if the schools are instituting it in a hap hazard way or for the wrong reasons. Maybe let the school psychologist decided if the child can be excused for a day. That way there is some consistency in administering the day off.

I agree that a change of pace/setting can be very refreshing and can help clear the mind. IF I had kids, just because they didn't have to be in class that day, I would still keep they busy in something that would allow them a break but not be idle. Sometimes the best way to relax is not to do nothing but just do a task that you can turn off ones brain for a bit and run on autopilot.

For me it is mowing lawn, picking rocks, or doing one of the dozen of tasks that I considered chores/work growing up but now as an adult I find that I have done them so much that they are relaxing.
What schools have a psychologist?

Also - semantics issue I'm about to get into but you're using psychologist in a way that isn't entirely accurate but that's not going to take anything away from the topic
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

clenz wrote:
Winterborn wrote:

What schools have a psychologist?

Also - semantics issue I'm about to get into but you're using psychologist in a way that isn't entirely accurate but that's not going to take anything away from the topic
Feel free to correct me. :thumb: I am probably using it in a very generic way which does not meet the true definition of a Psychologist. Most likely I should be using the term "counselor" instead even though most have some type of degree in psychology.

Just about every school near me has a counselor and the school district has some individuals that are more specialized which are Psychologists.

clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

Winterborn wrote:
clenz wrote:What schools have a psychologist?

Feel free to correct me. :thumb: I am probably using it in a very generic way which does not meet the true definition of a Psychologist. Most likely I should be using the term "counselor" instead even though most have some type of degree in psychology.

Just about every school near me has a counselor and the school district has some individuals that are more specialized which are Psychologists.
There's a significant difference between a psychologist, counselor/therapist and then a school counselor.

A school counselor has extreme minimal actual mental heath counseling education. Many places - like UNI who is a leader in counseling/school counseling (where my wife went) - have mental health counseling degrees and then school counseling degrees. School counselors have some MHC classes, but it's a pretty different program - even though they run together.

Most Psychologists are involved in research and testing (counselors can't test).

Some psychologists do counseling - those with Counseling Psychology degrees. These people diagnose and treat and can do specific psychological testing

Mental Health Counselors (what TBH has), Mental Health Therapists, Marriage and Family Therapists are all almost identical. There is a bit of a difference in foundation theory between the MFT and MHC but they are like 98% of the same thing. These people diagnose and treat but can't do the psychological tests or prescribe medication. Honestly - psychology backgrounds help but that degree area focus more biology of the brain than what talk therapists tend to look at.

School counselors get a stripped down version of what MHC/MFTs get as far as the neuroscience/diagnosing/treatment classes. Their focus is more on relating it to a school environment. The vast majority of school counselors have next to zero training on mental health diagnosing and treatment. Psychology degrees don't qualify anyone for that.

Psychiatrists are essentially medical doctors that focus on the brain and neuroscience. 90-95% of their education is med school/pharmacy school/etc. They take like 3, maybe 4, total classes on counseling theory but that's it. They don't do talk therapy. They care about how the medication interacts along with talk therapy.

Licensed Independent Social Workers are the bane of everyone listed above. MHC/MFT are forced to go to have 3 years of grad class work plus like 1500 practicum hours just to graduate. Then pass a couple different boards. Then after graduating they are temp licenced until they have like 3000 hours of experience and 1500 hours of supervision. LISWs get a one year masters of Social Work, have to pass no boards, have zero practicum required...yet they get to say they, and bill, the same way that MHC/MFTs do.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

clenz wrote: There's a significant difference between a psychologist, counselor/therapist and then a school counselor.

A school counselor has extreme minimal actual mental heath counseling education. Many places - like UNI who is a leader in counseling/school counseling (where my wife went) - have mental health counseling degrees and then school counseling degrees. School counselors have some MHC classes, but it's a pretty different program - even though they run together.

Most Psychologists are involved in research and testing (counselors can't test).

Some psychologists do counseling - those with Counseling Psychology degrees. These people diagnose and treat and can do specific psychological testing

Mental Health Counselors (what TBH has), Mental Health Therapists, Marriage and Family Therapists are all almost identical. There is a bit of a difference in foundation theory between the MFT and MHC but they are like 98% of the same thing. These people diagnose and treat but can't do the psychological tests or prescribe medication. Honestly - psychology backgrounds help but that degree area focu

School counselors get a stripped down version of what MHC/MFTs get as far as the neuroscience/diagnosing/treatment classes. Their focus is more on relating it to a school environment. The vast majority of school counselors have next to zero training on mental health diagnosing and treatment. Psychology degrees don't quality anyone for that.

Psychiatrists are essentially medical doctors that focus on the brain and neuroscience. 90-95% of their education is med school/pharmacy school/etc. They take like 3, maybe 4, total classes on counseling theory but that's it. They don't do talk therapy. They care about how the medication interacts along with talk therapy.

Licensed Independent Social Workers are the bane of everyone listed above. MHC/MFT are forced to go to have 3 years of grad class work plus like 1500 practicum hours just to graduate. Then pass a couple different boards. Then after graduating they are temp licenced until they have like 3000 hours of experience and 1500 hours of supervision. LISWs get a one year masters of Social Work, have to pass no boards, have zero practicum required...yet they get to say they, and bill, the same way that MHC/MFTs do.
Appreciate the explanation. :thumb: