Trump to End Birthright Citizenship

Political discussions
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Re: Trump to End Birthright Citizenship

Post by ∞∞∞ »

BDKJMU wrote:Hasn’t SCOTUS never ruled on the birthright citizenship question? The 14th Amendment was ratified after the War Between the States. The Citizenship Clause was written specifically to deal with the recently freed slaves. It reversed part of the Dred Scott decision which said blacks couldn’t become citizens of the US. Had nothing to do with children of illegal immigrants.
Look, I'm as indifferent to the Constitution as you are, but the 14th seems pretty clear:

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

BDKJMU wrote:Hasn’t SCOTUS never ruled on the birthright citizenship question? The 14th Amendment was ratified after the War Between the States. The Citizenship Clause was written specifically to deal with the recently freed slaves. It reversed part of the Dred Scott decision which said blacks couldn’t become citizens of the US. Had nothing to do with children of illegal immigrants.
Yes they have - in 1898

Here’s a good synopsis:

https://qz.com/1447349/an-1898-us-supre ... tizenship/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

CID1990 wrote:
Skjellyfetti wrote:
But, aren't we supposed to be giving him credit for things that haven't produced results like the Trade War? :coffee:
Do you want to shift the conversation into the realm of things that are within the Executive’s authority, Reek? Because I thought this was about Trump trying to end-run the Constitution.

You should know better by now than to try to peddle your false equivalencies with me, boy.

Nice tap out.

It was about kvetching in regard to things things that Trump hasn't actually done - like buying Greenland or ending birthright citizenship.

As it's not worth bitching about things that haven't happened - neither is it worth praising him for other things that haven't happened - like the trade war materially restructuring trade between the two countries, NK denuclearization, etc. :thumb:
Last edited by Skjellyfetti on Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
Do you want to shift the conversation into the realm of things that are within the Executive’s authority, Reek? Because I thought this was about Trump trying to end-run the Constitution.

You should know better by now than to try to peddle your false equivalencies with me, boy.

It was about kvetching in regard to things things that Trump hasn't actually done - like buying Greenland or ending birthright citizenship.

As it's not worth bitching about things that haven't happened - neither is it worth praising him for other things that haven't happened - like the trade war materially restructuring trade between the two countries, NK denuclearization, etc. :thumb:
Go backpedal your ass away somewhere else.

Trump is within his authority on trade. He is not within his authority on jus soli.

This is why you fall for conspiracy theories, Reek. Because you draw connections and nexuses where none exist

Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

I'm not saying trade policy is unconstitutional.

I'm saying the Trade War has accomplished as much as he has by this latest tuft of wind.

Is this thread only about constitutionality? :?
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

CID1990 wrote:
GannonFan wrote:Again, he just wins by sucking the air out of the room. People have been talking about Greenland for a week now and there's zero chance Trump will be able to buy it. People start talking about Democratic polls and who's ahead and he comes out with the new rules regarding families at the border and then this. There's no chance he's changing the 14th amendment, so all it serves is to dominate the news and discussion. Say what you will about him, and he's every bit the buffoon he looks to be, but he's certainly stumbled onto a way he can win again in 2020, and that's by dominating every news cycle as he's been doing.

This ^^^^

Everybody knows it can’t happen without an act of Congress except the most uneducated of his base, and the chattering drama queens and their media puppeteers

Looks like we have at least 3 of the drama queens right here

Any article that has Trump spitballing about things he’s a gonna doooooo is pure catnip for people like Jearf

Yup. People should be worried about this birthright thing just as much as the EC being removed...

...which is to say not at all.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

Nice tap out.

Dude, you literally spent 2 years on this board bitching about Trump-Russian Collusion that never happened.

By the way, noticed you are posting more now that the Trump Russian Conspiracy Theory that the msm has been pimping has fallen to the wayside. Coincidence, no? :rofl:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

∞∞∞ wrote:
Look, I'm as indifferent to the Constitution as you are, but the 14th seems pretty clear:

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside.
“Indifferent,” huh? That’s a step up for you. A few months ago, you wanted to trash the whole thing and start over.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

∞∞∞ wrote:
Look, I'm indifferent to the Constitution unlike you , but the 14th seems pretty clear:

FIFY
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote:
Skjellyfetti wrote:
Wasn't this part of your list detailing Trump's greatness yesterday?

i guess that can be scratched off your list.

And, it goes both ways.

I do find it humorous that Conks, for whom the Constitution is etched in stone, suddenly think it is just a "sheet of paper" or a "living document". :coffee:
:nod:

That why asked my question.
And I’ve made it very clear I don’t support it. What part of that is so difficult to understand?
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Ivytalk wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

Wrong, we have always respected ALL of the Constitution. Just because you don't UNDERSTAND the purpose or the meaning of the 2nd, doesn't mean you are right about it.
Bullshit, dback. The Electoral College. I rest my case.

I leaned early in my career that exaggeration is fatal to a coherent argument, legal or otherwise.

The outdated system devised by slave states that allows the tyranny of the majority?

Yup, needs to be abolished. But liberals are smart enough to know that you can't eliminate it by executive pooper order.

Donnie is cracking up
:thumb:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

CID1990 wrote:
GannonFan wrote:Again, he just wins by sucking the air out of the room. People have been talking about Greenland for a week now and there's zero chance Trump will be able to buy it. People start talking about Democratic polls and who's ahead and he comes out with the new rules regarding families at the border and then this. There's no chance he's changing the 14th amendment, so all it serves is to dominate the news and discussion. Say what you will about him, and he's every bit the buffoon he looks to be, but he's certainly stumbled onto a way he can win again in 2020, and that's by dominating every news cycle as he's been doing.

This ^^^^

Everybody knows it can’t happen without an act of Congress except the 40 million of his base, and the chattering

Lo
:thumb:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote:
kalm wrote:
:nod:

That why asked my question.
And I’ve made it very clear I don’t support it. What part of that is so difficult to understand?
Why don’t you support it?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
What difference does it make? But I’m not a fan of ANY politician thinking they can just change the constitution with the stroke of their pen. If Trump truly wants to end it he needs to go through the same process as the dipshits who want to end the 2A. And that’s never going to happen....so all the mouthbreathing Trump haters just have something else to occupy their tiny little minds....
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote:
kalm wrote:
What difference does it make? But I’m not a fan of ANY politician thinking they can just change the constitution with the stroke of their pen. If Trump truly wants to end it he needs to go through the same process as the dipshits who want to end the 2A. And that’s never going to happen....so all the mouthbreathing Trump haters just have something else to occupy their tiny little minds....
So you support the idea just not the method? The idea seems like something you’d support.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
So you support the idea just not the method? The idea seems like something you’d support.
No. I support neither the idea but ESPECIALLY not the method.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Ivytalk wrote:I leaned early in my career that exaggeration is fatal to a coherent argument, legal or otherwise.
Maybe in the court room, but exaggeration and hyperbole changes worlds. If anything, it's one of the most powerful tools humans have to alter laws.
Last edited by ∞∞∞ on Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

AZGrizFan wrote:
kalm wrote:
So when Trump issues the executive order, you'll defend your "oath"? :coffee:
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Skjellyfetti wrote:I'm not saying trade policy is unconstitutional.

I'm saying the Trade War has accomplished as much as he has by this latest tuft of wind.

Is this thread only about constitutionality? :?
No, you are OPINING that the trade war hasn't accomplished anything. And like I have said before, it might not.

But as you continue with this false headed attempt to inject an argument you think you can win I'll remind you that there is no equivalency to my comments on the trade war and Trump spitballing about Greenland.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote:
kalm wrote:
Why should the child born of people who illegally crossed our borders be automatically given citizenship?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
Why should the child born of people who illegally crossed our borders be automatically given citizenship?
You mean besides the fact it’s the law as currently written?
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

kalm wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
In practice? Because the Constitution, supported by SCOTUS ruling, does not place conditions on jus soli citizenship.

In theory, it would be exceedingly difficult to enforce if we made it a rule - right now you just need a US birth cert. Trying to get your parents’ proof of legal status would be difficult for many people and would create an adjudicatory nightmare.

That said, the entitlement to status by birth in the US to people illegally in the US has not been tested specifically.

CitadelGrad
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Jack Kerouac
A.K.A.: El Cid

Post by CitadelGrad »

kalm wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
They shouldn't, but that isn't my primary concern. My concern is the Chinese. Knocked up chinks fly into California and our Pacific possessions every day to take the bun out of the oven, then fly back to China with their slanty eyed Yankee Doodle Dandy rug rats. They do so with the encouragement of the Chinese government. Any ideas why China might be encouraging this?
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

- Thomas Jefferson, in letter to William S. Smith, 1787

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

kalm wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
When you think about it, being born here may be the purest “Occam’s razor” citizenship test that could be devised. It’s one area where I’ve actually mellowed over the years. The real test is to keep the illegal parents out, by some combination of border security (ncluding barbed wire and machine gun nests) and prosecuting employers of illegals. 8-)
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Ivytalk wrote:
kalm wrote:
When you think about it, being born here may be the purest “Occam’s razor” citizenship test that could be devised. It’s one area where I’ve actually mellowed over the years. The real test is to keep the illegal parents out, by some combination of border security (ncluding barbed wire and machine gun nests) and prosecuting employers of illegals. 8-)
You and CID make sense.