dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Re: Bolton Out

Post by dbackjon »

Ivytalk wrote:
CID1990 wrote:Five bucks says Bolton protested Trump inviting the Taliban to Camp David a little too forcefully. He would not have been happy about it.
That’s the current buzz around DC. Maybe Hannity will get Bolton to open up about it.

The good news is that Bolton is gone. The bad news is that Trump is on his own.
:nod: :nod:
:thumb:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

mainejeff2 wrote:Trump can do no wrong! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:coffee:
You're finally on the Trump train!
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

CID1990 wrote:Five bucks says Bolton protested Trump inviting the Taliban to Camp David a little too forcefully. He would not have been happy about it.
Try to fathom the caliber of the wackjobs you need to surround yourself with to make Bolton look like the reasonable one.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Suddenly Bolton is the reasonable one. My how the worm has turned now that he's out on his ass.

You donks are nothing if not predictable.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

AZGrizFan wrote:Suddenly Bolton is the reasonable one. My how the worm has turned now that he's out on his ass.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

No. Bolton was not reasonable. But your fuhrer is capable of appointing someone far worse, and your GOP lackeys in the Senate will rubber stamp the insanity, as usual.\

You conks are nothing if not predictable
:thumb:
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Even before I swore off voting Republican due to the Republican Party nominating Trump I thought Bolton is a nut job. The fact that he ever got into ANY position of influence in ANY Administration is disconcerting.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

dbackjon wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:Suddenly Bolton is the reasonable one. My how the worm has turned now that he's out on his ass.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

No. Bolton was not reasonable. But your fuhrer is capable of appointing someone far worse, and your GOP lackeys in the Senate will rubber stamp the insanity, as usual.\

You conks are nothing if not predictable
So now you've got a crystal ball? You donks are nothing if not predictable.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

I’m hearing Bolton also protested when Trump contemplated lifting some Iran sanctions as an olive branch to get them to the table - that would make sense too

So basically, we have a neocon hawk who gets fired by a President who (through his own actions and statements) is in favor of nonintervention and also using the carrot on a stick to manipulate bad actors

and that neocon hawk is now being used as a yardstick for how wrong Trump is on foreign policy?

makes total sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

CID1990 wrote:I’m hearing Bolton also protested when Trump contemplated lifting some Iran sanctions as an olive branch to get them to the table - that would make sense too

So basically, we have a neocon hawk who gets fired by a President who (through his own actions and statements) is in favor of nonintervention and also using the carrot on a stick to manipulate bad actors

and that neocon hawk is now being used as a yardstick for how wrong Trump is on foreign policy?

makes total sense

It does in the twisted, fucked up, convoluted Donk world where Orange Man Bad no matter WHAT he does... :lol: :lol:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

CID1990 wrote:I’m hearing Bolton also protested when Trump contemplated lifting some Iran sanctions as an olive branch to get them to the table - that would make sense too

makes total sense

The problem that I have with this analysis is that it presumes that Trump has the mental staying power/skill set “to manipulate bad actors” into some type of durable agreement. His instinct for a “deal” of any type is so evanescent-short term that nothing ever gets done. Exhibit A: The NorKors. Trump has no anchor to windward. Pompeo, at bottom, is a political hack who is using Trump for his own purposes.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Ivytalk wrote:

makes total sense

The problem that I have with this analysis is that it presumes that Trump has the mental staying power/skill set “to manipulate bad actors” into some type of durable agreement. His instinct for a “deal” of any type is so evanescent-short term that nothing ever gets done. Exhibit A: The NorKors. Trump has no anchor to windward. Pompeo, at bottom, is a political hack who is using Trump for his own purposes.
I don’t think he does either - but through his words and actions he has demonstrated that he is a noninterventionist, and he has also demonstrated that he is willing to make security or trade deals on terms favorable to the US, optics be damned (Taliban at Camp David)

Whether he is a master deal maker or a charlatan is immaterial. Using John Bolton’s departure as some kind of a canary in the coal mine on Trump’s foreign policy is the height of hypocrisy for Trump’s opponents. It is truly an “Orange Man Bad” moment

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Ivytalk wrote:For now, one less warmonger.
This. It's a good thing this warmongering neocon is out. :clap:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

HI54UNI wrote:Image
:lol:
:ohno:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

CID1990 wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: The problem that I have with this analysis is that it presumes that Trump has the mental staying power/skill set “to manipulate bad actors” into some type of durable agreement. His instinct for a “deal” of any type is so evanescent-short term that nothing ever gets done. Exhibit A: The NorKors. Trump has no anchor to windward. Pompeo, at bottom, is a political hack who is using Trump for his own purposes.
I don’t think he does either - but through his words and actions he has demonstrated that he is a noninterventionist, and he has also demonstrated that he is willing to make security or trade deals on terms favorable to the US, optics be damned (Taliban at Camp David)

Whether he is a master deal maker or a charlatan is immaterial. Using John Bolton’s departure as some kind of a canary in the coal mine on Trump’s foreign policy is the height of hypocrisy for Trump’s opponents. It is truly an “Orange Man Bad” moment

Hey, don't spoil their "Orange Man Bad" fun.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

CID1990 wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: The problem that I have with this analysis is that it presumes that Trump has the mental staying power/skill set “to manipulate bad actors” into some type of durable agreement. His instinct for a “deal” of any type is so evanescent-short term that nothing ever gets done. Exhibit A: The NorKors. Trump has no anchor to windward. Pompeo, at bottom, is a political hack who is using Trump for his own purposes.

But Trump hasn’t followed through to cut a single deal on security, and his record on actual trade agreements remains to be seen. It seems to be a matter of showmanship with him. Plus he has a notoriously short attention span beyond the next news cycle, leading him to treat Kim Jong-un like a yo-yo with nothing to show for it. I agree on his apparent noninterventionist instincts but, again, we need to see follow-through. Afghanistan troop withdrawal will be a clearer sign, if it happens.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

SDHornet wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

Hey, don't spoil their "Orange Man Bad" fun.
Seriously - up is down with some of these people

Republicans aren’t the only ones who are going to have to answer for their bullcrap after Trump is gone

It makes “the 1980s called” look like a minor miscalculation

CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Ivytalk wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

But Trump hasn’t followed through to cut a single deal on security, and his record on actual trade agreements remains to be seen. It seems to be a matter of showmanship with him. Plus he has a notoriously short attention span beyond the next news cycle, leading him to treat Kim Jong-un like a yo-yo with nothing to show for it. I agree on his apparent noninterventionist instincts but, again, we need to see follow-through. Afghanistan troop withdrawal will be a clearer sign, if it happens.
Maybe- but my point is that he has repeatedly indicated that we don’t belong in overseas quagmires, and he hasn’t escalated while Iran shows their collective ass and China becomes much mire provocative in the S China Sea. He has done nothing to indicate that he is interested in expending American blood and treasure in what should be other people’s fights. And he’s fired the hawks that have been in his ear. So for me, in terms of overseas adventurism, Trump is an A while Obama was a C- and Bush was an F. And firing Bolton makes up for the idiocy of hiring him in the first place.

Realpolitik alone will keep us in Afghanistan. But I guarantee that if there’s one person who can pull us out - consequences be damned - it is Trump.

And mark my words - if any of these Dems wind up in the Oval Office in 2020 we will be in Afghanistan for their entire tenure. MAYBE Yang would pull us out. Maybe.

CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Oh and BTW....

Mornin Ivy!

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

CID1990 wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: But Trump hasn’t followed through to cut a single deal on security, and his record on actual trade agreements remains to be seen. It seems to be a matter of showmanship with him. Plus he has a notoriously short attention span beyond the next news cycle, leading him to treat Kim Jong-un like a yo-yo with nothing to show for it. I agree on his apparent noninterventionist instincts but, again, we need to see follow-through. Afghanistan troop withdrawal will be a clearer sign, if it happens.
Maybe- but my point is that he has repeatedly indicated that we don’t belong in overseas quagmires, and he hasn’t escalated while Iran shows their collective ass and China becomes much mire provocative in the S China Sea. He has done nothing to indicate that he is interested in expending American blood and treasure in what should be other people’s fights. And he’s fired the hawks that have been in his ear. So for me, in terms of overseas adventurism, Trump is an A while Obama was a C- and Bush was an F. And firing Bolton makes up for the idiocy of hiring him in the first place.

Realpolitik alone will keep us in Afghanistan. But I guarantee that if there’s one person who can pull us out - consequences be damned - it is Trump.

And mark my words - if any of these Dems wind up in the Oval Office in 2020 we will be in Afghanistan for their entire tenure. MAYBE Yang would pull us out. Maybe.

I like this assessment. :thumb: Trumps pattern is obvious - he tweets and staggers from one thing to another with no real promise or action being taken towards the goal. Aside from his mere presence lifting the stock market, he really hasn't accomplished anything of long term value - at least nothing that I can think of at the moment. He's for the quick gain, nothing more. For a guy that was going to hire the best people, he certainly has picked some duds. Or has been erratic enough to chase off some that were actually worth a damn (Kelly, Haley, Mathis, for example).

You're right - consequences be damned - Trump is the best person to pull us out of Afghanistan. We don't have a clear exit strategy there. Let's leave but make it known, that if you screw with us the full weight of the US Military Complex will come down on you with unrelenting force. :coffee: :twocents:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ivytalk wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

Huh. Who would have thunk it? :lol: :lol:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

CID1990 wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: But Trump hasn’t followed through to cut a single deal on security, and his record on actual trade agreements remains to be seen. It seems to be a matter of showmanship with him. Plus he has a notoriously short attention span beyond the next news cycle, leading him to treat Kim Jong-un like a yo-yo with nothing to show for it. I agree on his apparent noninterventionist instincts but, again, we need to see follow-through. Afghanistan troop withdrawal will be a clearer sign, if it happens.

CID's rocking this thread and Ivy's asking good questions.

What's worse Trump's bluster and lack of follow-through or a neo-con POTUS that actually intervenes?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
css75
Level3
Level3

Post by css75 »

houndawg wrote:
Try to fathom the caliber of the wackjobs you need to surround yourself with to make Bolton look like the reasonable one.
When did you become a Bolton fan?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

CID1990 wrote:Oh and BTW....

Mornin Ivy!

Sweet!
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

The bottom line no matter how much anyone wants to manufacture outrage is that the world is a safer place with Bolton removed from a position of influence.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm