Bolton Out

Political discussions
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Re: Bolton Out

Post by Ivytalk »

UNI88 wrote:The bottom line no matter how much anyone wants to manufacture outrage is that the world is a safer place with Bolton removed from a position of flatulence.
FYP
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Ivytalk wrote:
UNI88 wrote:The bottom line no matter how much anyone wants to manufacture outrage is that the world is a safer place with Bolton removed from a position of flatulence.
FYP
:lmao: You owe me a monitor!
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

css75 wrote:
houndawg wrote:
Try to fathom the caliber of the wackjobs you need to surround yourself with to make Bolton look like the reasonable one.
When did you become a Bolton fan?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:coffee: even a stopped clock...
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

CID1990 wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: I don’t think he does either - but through his words and actions he has demonstrated that he is a noninterventionist, and he has also demonstrated that he is willing to make security or trade deals on terms favorable to the US, optics be damned (Taliban at Camp David)
Do you think what he was working on with the Taliban involved terms favorable to the US? If so, elaborate.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

JohnStOnge wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
Do you think what he was working on with the Taliban involved terms favorable to the US? If so, elaborate.
I have no idea what terms he was negotiating, John. I presume the terms involve us not being in Afghanistan. That is a term that is favorable to the US.
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

CID1990 wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:
I have no idea what terms he was negotiating, John. I presume the terms involve us not being in Afghanistan. That is a term that is favorable to the US.
Do you think the Taliban deposing the current Afghan government and taking over Afghanistan again so that things are basically as they were in August, 2001, there is favorable to US interest in the long term?
Could I ever be a star?

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

JohnStOnge wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
Do you think the Taliban deposing the current Afghan government and taking over Afghanistan again so that things are basically as they were in August, 2001, there is favorable to US interest in the long term?
No but 1). The Taliban didn’t fly the planes and 2) Reagan seemed like them.
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

The Taliban were easy to fight when they controlled all of Afghanistan. We deposed them in no time and inflicted massive casualties on them.

It was when those remaining went into hiding and disappeared into the civilian populations in their strongholds that the Taliban became a menace.

I think we should leave Afghanistan and let the Taliban take hold of the whole country. Once they're in charge again, we should blow them off the map again and take over. Then leave again, and let them take over. Repeat blow them off the map again and then leave.

Do this about 10 times and I'm pretty sure we'll have them completely decimated. :coffee:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

JoltinJoe wrote:The Taliban were easy to fight when they controlled all of Afghanistan. We deposed them in no time and inflicted massive casualties on them.

It was when those remaining went into hiding and disappeared into the civilian populations in their strongholds that the Taliban became a menace.

I think we should leave Afghanistan and let the Taliban take hold of the whole country. Once they're in charge again, we should blow them off the map again and take over. Then leave again, and let them take over. Repeat blow them off the map again and then leave.

Do this about 10 times and I'm pretty sure we'll have them completely decimated. :coffee:
Naw. Just cut them a deal that says:

"We'll leave forever and give you weapons so long as you use them against the chinks when they move in after we leave."

That should cover our bases. :coffee:
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

JohnStOnge wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
Versus staying there forever because the Afghans won't stop it?

Yes, John. I think having no more US troops in Afghanistan is favorable to the US in the long term. We aren't willing to kill a million Afghans so all else is a waste of blood and treasure.

Any more stupid questions?
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

There is no reasonable argument that includes the U.S. having troops in Afghanistan...
I agree with Joe - pull out and observe from a distance - respond accordingly over time

:nod:
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Chizzang wrote:There is no reasonable argument that includes the U.S. having troops in Afghanistan...
I agree with Joe - pull out and observe from a distance - respond accordingly over time

Yes but Trump is negotiating the pullout
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

JoltinJoe wrote:The Taliban were easy to fight when they controlled all of Afghanistan. We deposed them in no time and inflicted massive casualties on them.

That oughta be good for at least 30 years of job security.. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

CID1990 wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

Yes, John. I think having no more US troops in Afghanistan is favorable to the US in the long term. We aren't willing to kill a million Afghans so all else is a waste of blood and treasure.

Have you already forgotten that the Taliban are "the equivalent of our founding fathers"? :ohno:

I forgot you were in diapers then, nevermind...
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

houndawg wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

Have you already forgotten that the Taliban are "the equivalent of our founding fathers"? :ohno:

I forgot you were in diapers then, nevermind...
I was in diapers when Johnson was Prez

Go outside and count the airplanes as they fly over or something
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Chizzang wrote:There is no reasonable argument that includes the U.S. having troops in Afghanistan...

I agree, I don't see how Afghanistan is anything other than this. It's up to them to stop this cycle from happening over and over again but they don't seem capable of breaking that cycle. We'll pull out, and then in a few years the human rights depravity will be so great again that we'll have to go back in and clear it out again. People will criticize the US for doing nothing and then when we go in we'll be criticized for intervening. That's part of the cycle too.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

CID1990 wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

This. It's been the issue since Viet Nam.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

CID1990 wrote:

So it won't happen - even after he announces that it already happened..?
What's your point?

:geek:

Later at a Hate Rally he'll announce that he negotiated the pullout
(while we're still in Afghanistan)
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Chizzang wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
So it won't happen - even after he announces that it already happened..?
What's your point?

:geek:

Later at a Hate Rally he'll announce that he negotiated the pullout
(while we're still in Afghanistan)
My point was facetious

Trump is negotiating the pullout, so naturally JSO and others have developed a problem with us pulling chocks and un-assing that shithole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

CID1990 wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

So I take it you don't think having the Taliban in charge of Afghanistan so that they can create a safe haven for groups like the old Al-Qaeda is a threat to US interests?
Could I ever be a star?

CID1990
Level5
Level5

Bolton Out

Post by CID1990 »

JohnStOnge wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

So I take it you don't think having the Taliban in charge of Afghanistan so that they can create a safe haven for groups like the old Al-Qaeda is a threat to US interests?
NO JOHN I DON’T

even given your loaded question

We get it. You want us to expend blood and treasure there indefinitely

(See, Clitz?)

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

CID1990 wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:
NO JOHN I DON’T

Ok then. We disagree on a key premise. I think that if we allow Afghanistan to return to what it was that will be a threat to us. You do not.

And BTW, I do think we need to be able to expend blood and treasure indefinitely in order to address the Islamist threat. I think we are dealing with an enemy that is willing to do that. I think that is we think in terms of needing to put time limits on what we do we put ourselves as a disadvantage because the enemy doesn't do that.
Could I ever be a star?

CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

JohnStOnge wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
NO JOHN I DON’T

Ok then. We disagree on a key premise. I think that if we allow Afghanistan to return to what it was that will be a threat to us. You do not.

And BTW, I do think we need to be able to expend blood and treasure indefinitely in order to address the Islamist threat. I think we are dealing with an enemy that is willing to do that. I think that is we think in terms of needing to put time limits on what we do we put ourselves as a disadvantage because the enemy doesn't do that.
We do not need to be in Afghanistan to prevent it becoming a threat to us

Your opinion places you all by yourself on this one

Is us trying to pull out of there a critique of Trump or have you moved on now?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

CID1990 wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

I have always said that we need to be willing to persist in our conflict with the Islamists. They do not think in terms of years or time limits. I said the on this board long before Trump ran for office. The fact that we think in terms of needing to get out and get impatient is a weakness. Our enemies know that is our tendency. So they wait us out. They know that if they can just stay active we will quit.
Could I ever be a star?

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

JohnStOnge wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

I have always said that we need to be willing to persist in our conflict with the Islamists. They do not think in terms of years or time limits. I said the on this board long before Trump ran for office. The fact that we think in terms of needing to get out and get impatient is a weakness. Our enemies know that is our tendency. So they wait us out. They know that if they can just stay active we will quit.
So you’re an interventionist. Some libertarian you are. :lol:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.