Baldy wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
I'm mixing the Liberals in with the Nazis

:thumb:

Glenn Beck style
Interesting. That's a unique tapout. :kisswink:
Yup, you win

:dunce:
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Re: Fascism... check the boxes

Post by Baldy »

Chizzang wrote:
Baldy wrote: Interesting. That's a unique tapout. :kisswink:
Yup, you win

If you say so... :lol:
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

Baldy wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
Yup, you win

If you say so... :lol:
I've got so many debates in the air right now I don't even remember what you and I were debating
So yeah.. beats me - you win

Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

Chizzang wrote:
Baldy wrote: If you say so... :lol:
I've got so many debates in the air right now I don't even remember what you and I were debating
So yeah.. beats me - you win
You sure tossed a lot of word salad for nothing. :lol:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

A interesting disagreement on fascism between two liberal writers.

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:19 am A interesting disagreement on fascism between two liberal writers.

I doubt both of them have looked in a mirror lately. :lol:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:23 am
kalm wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:19 am A interesting disagreement on fascism between two liberal writers.

?
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:48 am
Winterborn wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:23 am

?
Define: Take a look in the mirror

To consider, realize, or admit one's own failing or culpability in relation to some issue.

Example: You keep blaming other people for what happened, when you really ought to take a look in the mirror.

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/to ... the+mirror
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:00 am
kalm wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:48 am

?

To consider, realize, or admit one's own failing or culpability in relation to some issue.

Example: You keep blaming other people for what happened, when you really ought to take a look in the mirror.

Thank you. So in what ways should these two authors blame themselves for the recent rise in right wing authoritarianism?

Are you implying they are left wing authoritarians?
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:24 am
Winterborn wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:00 am

Thank you. So in what ways should these two authors blame themselves for the recent rise in right wing authoritarianism?

You're welcome. :D

I am not implying either of those. I just read his words and the first thing I thought was he has a point, and it isn't a bad point by any-means, but a point is just that a point. As an author and/or commentator you need to expand upon that as well and he didn't. He tried, I will easily give him that, but he just spouted some verbiage and left it hanging. Left me thinking "Okay and....". Then I thought some more and a good chunk of what he stated could also be applied to the DNC (hence my mirror comment).

I got the same feeling reading that as ordering a beer and when the bartender starts filling up the glass, the keg blows and I only wind up with a partial pint. I then looked at his bio and "cat guy" immediately jumped out at me and explained everything. ;)

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:17 pm
kalm wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:24 am

I am not implying either of those. I just read his words and the first thing I thought was he has a point, and it isn't a bad point by any-means, but a point is just that a point. As an author and/or commentator you need to expand upon that as well and he didn't. He tried, I will easily give him that, but he just spouted some verbiage and left it hanging. Left me thinking "Okay and....". Then I thought some more and a good chunk of what he stated could also be applied to the DNC (hence my mirror comment).

I got the same feeling reading that as ordering a beer and when the bartender starts filling up the glass, the keg blows and I only wind up with a partial pint. I then looked at his bio and "cat guy" immediately jumped out at me and explained everything. ;)
Twitter posts simply wet the whistle. Sharlet has authored a number of books, written pieces for numerous magazines, and is on substack. There are many opportunities for a deeper dive.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:43 am
Winterborn wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:17 pm

Twitter posts simply wet the whistle. Sharlet has authored a number of books, written pieces for numerous magazines, and is on substack. There are many opportunities for a deeper dive.
Or turn people off. ;)

Don't need a deeper dive. I have read his stuff before and he didn't make the cut of people I keep up with. I remember reading some articles but not getting anything particularly relevant out of them other than his opinion (Which isn't anything new). But he does know his audience and has a good business plan for selling books so congrats to him.