Political discussions
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

CS Book Club: Winter 2020

Post by Ibanez »

What is everyone reading this winter?

I'm about 1 day away from finishing 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus. It's an interesting book that goes into a lot of Inca, Mayan, Native American history, their limited contacts with Europeans, the foods/diseases, etc... that were common place in the years preceding Columbus. I recommend it. I have a couple of options:

I'mnot sure what i'll read/listen to next. I need to finish the Grant biography.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Re: CS Book Club: Winter 2020

Post by CAA Flagship »

Ibanez wrote:What is everyone reading this winter?

I'm about 1 day away from finishing 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus. It's an interesting book that goes into a lot of Inca, Mayan, Native American history, their limited contacts with Europeans, the foods/diseases, etc... that were common place in the years preceding Columbus.
Ah yes, the good ole days. Back when the Redskins were a winning franchise. #HTTR
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Silenoz »

dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Next book I am going to read is:

The Storm on Our Shores by Mark Obmascik - about the Battle of Attu during WWII
:thumb:
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Silenoz wrote:Image

It is a good book. :thumb:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Ibanez wrote:I need to finish the Grant biography.
Just started that after finishing Gwynne's TJ Jackson bio
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Mixing some classic science fiction (Asimov’s I, Robot) with history (The Guns at Last Light, volume 3 of Rick Atkinson’s Liberation Trilogy).
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
Ibanez wrote:I need to finish the Grant biography.
Just started that after finishing Gwynne's TJ Jackson bio
I loved the Grant biography. Gave a real good appreciation as to how good of a general he was, especially strategically. And it really shed a light on how hard the Grant Presidency fought to overcome the incredible racism in the country at the time. Amazing all of the stories you are starting to hear now of the Tulsa Race Massacre and the Wilmington, NC Insurrection, stories that had kind of been forgotten to history, but white-supremacist pushback during Reconstruction, and the appalling violence of it, is something that just gets brushed over in general history courses.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Winterborn wrote:
Silenoz wrote:Image

Yup, good one. Taking him forever to put out the third and final book of the trilogy. He's trying to emulate George Martin that way. :coffee:
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

GannonFan wrote:
Winterborn wrote:

Yup, good one. Taking him forever to put out the third and final book of the trilogy. He's trying to emulate George Martin that way. :coffee:
I hope not. I have enjoyed the series so far and much more than GRRM books. Patrick knows how to paint a good picture without going to overboard (Something GRRM has a issue with).
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Another book series that is good is the Expeditionary Force by Craig Alanson. There are 9 books in the main series and the audio books are narrated by R.C. Bray.

Finished the first 8 in a week and should have #9 done by tomorrow. :geek:

From Book 1: We were fighting on the wrong side, of a war we couldn't win. And that was the good news.
The Ruhar hit us on Columbus Day. There we were, innocently drifting along the cosmos on our little blue marble, like the native Americans in 1492. Over the horizon come ships of a technologically advanced, aggressive culture, and BAM! There go the good old days, when humans only got killed by each other. So, Columbus Day. It fits.
When the morning sky twinkled again, this time with Kristang starships jumping in to hammer the Ruhar, we thought we were saved. The UN Expeditionary Force hitched a ride on Kristang ships to fight the Ruhar, wherever our new allies thought we could be useful. So, I went from fighting with the US Army in Nigeria, to fighting in space. It was lies, all of it. We shouldn't even be fighting the Ruhar, they aren't our enemy, our allies are.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F7 ... tries%2A=0

GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Winterborn wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
I hope not. I have enjoyed the series so far and much more than GRRM books. Patrick knows how to paint a good picture without going to overboard (Something GRRM has a issue with).
Well, it was 4 years between the first book coming out and the publishing of the second book. We're now 9 years since the second book came out and still no word on when the third could be finished. George Martin's last one came out in 2011 as well. And yes, the Rothfuss ones read better.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

GannonFan wrote:
Winterborn wrote:
Well, it was 4 years between the first book coming out and the publishing of the second book. We're now 9 years since the second book came out and still no word on when the third could be finished. George Martin's last one came out in 2011 as well. And yes, the Rothfuss ones read better.
Well when you put it that way. :cry: ;)

I had read both of them about 2 years ago, so my wait hasn't been too long yet. I have a bunch of series that I have started and just rotate though depending on when a new release comes out. I learned early on not to get too involved in a series as you never know when or if a author will complete it (Discworld or Wheel of Time come to mind).

GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Winterborn wrote:
GannonFan wrote:

I had read both of them about 2 years ago, so my wait hasn't been too long yet. I have a bunch of series that I have started and just rotate though depending on when a new release comes out. I learned early on not to get too involved in a series as you never know when or if a author will complete it (Discworld or Wheel of Time come to mind).
At least Wheel of Time had so many books, and Sanderson did a good job of getting the last three out after he took over the series. Never seemed like it was too much of a wait.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Ivytalk wrote:Mixing some classic science fiction (Asimov’s I, Robot) with history (The Guns at Last Light, volume 3 of Rick Atkinson’s Liberation Trilogy).
Rick's Trilogy is pretty good. I'm thinking of starting his book on the American Revolution.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

GannonFan wrote:
Winterborn wrote:

At least Wheel of Time had so many books, and Sanderson did a good job of getting the last three out after he took over the series. Never seemed like it was too much of a wait.
And there was a decent outline left for finishing the series. All too often things are just left in limbo and follow up authors are left to fill in the blanks somehow.

Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Silenoz »

GannonFan wrote:
Winterborn wrote:

On the bright side, I read SoIaF last summer, so now I too get to stand around complaining about both authors' sloth. Hooray!
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Books I've read this winter:

"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

^

O'Neill's interview on Howard Stern a few years back was tremendous. We couldn't have picked a better person to kill the great goat fucker.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

93henfan wrote:^

O'Neill's interview on Howard Stern a few years back was tremendous. We couldn't have picked a better person to kill the great goat fucker.
Just the fact he’s from Butte, America is reason enough. :nod: :nod:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12