Political discussions
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: Coronavirus

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:55 pm Atlanta is at 100% of ICU capacity. Georgia, Mass, Michigan, and NJ are at wildfire status. Population density is a major driver. Rationing of ICU beds is starting in hard hit areas.
Why is Atlanta maxed out? They have barely 1,000 cases of coronavirus in the whole state of Georgia, that's nothing compared to other states.

Answered my own question, apparently Georgia in on the low side when it comes to hospitals, especially those with ICU beds. Heck, West Virginia looks to have more ICU beds than Georgia does, how does that happen?

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/coronavir ... dlines_hed
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

I hope they can move some of the critical people to Augusta. Augusta actually has the most sophisticated medical facilities in the state, Atlanta's suck.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Pwns wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:42 am I hope they can move some of the critical people to Augusta. Augusta actually has the most sophisticated medical facilities in the state, Atlanta's suck.
:nod: :nod: My cousin graduated last year as an MD from the Medical College of Ga in Augusta, he said he was surprised by that as well. His sister, a resident at Emory agrees. I would think Atl would have top notch facilities with Emory being there.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

The flu is killing untold millions......... Run everyone it's the China virus! Image

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
mainejeff
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Post by mainejeff »

Why is the CDC not releasing statistics about ages, sex, etc of those dying? Everything under Trump is fucking shady. :nod:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/24/health/c ... index.html
Go Black Bears!
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

I'm really worried about the flu, do they release those stats for the flu that's actually killing people?

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:33 am The flu is killing untold millions......... Run everyone it's the China virus! Image

It looks like the Coronavirus is 10 times more deadly than the flu.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:56 pm Child dies in LA county, ABC had no other info at this time.
Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:58 am
BDKJMU wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:59 pm
Died of what?
What's the thread title?
Fake news.
-It wasn't a child but a teenager.
-Not confirmed died of the Chinese virus. Local mayor said was of septic shock.
https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/coro ... h/2334830/
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Pwns wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:20 pm https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavl ... s-n2565543

Things Democrats want in their relief bill:
-Publication of corporate pay statistics by race and race statistics for all corporate boards
-A bail out on all current debt at the Postal Service
-Required early voting
-Required same day voter registration
-Provisions on official time for union collective bargaining
-Full offset of airline emissions by 2025
-Publication and reporting of greenhouse gas statistics for individual flights
-Retirement plans for community newspaper employees
-Federal $15 minimum wage
-Permanent paid leave
What the hell does most of this have to do with getting through the pandemic? :?
I think donks are going to pay a political price for this.
And Pelosi caved. After holding up the package for 3 days, and conks standing firm, she got none her of add on Marxist, Green New Deal wish list..(the above list was only part of it). And it wasn't Schumer who pushed for the above. With NY getting hammered, he probably told that old hag this hill wasn't worth dying on. Trump and the American people won on this one...:nod:
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:27 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:56 pm Child dies in LA county, ABC had no other info at this time.
Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:58 am

What's the thread title?
Fake news.
-It wasn't a child but a teenager.
-Not confirmed died of the Chinese virus. Local mayor said was of septic shock.
https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/coro ... h/2334830/
Already covered that this morning on a couple different post in this thread.

Link here

I can teach you how to make your links look nice too.
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:40 am
Pwns wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:20 pm https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavl ... s-n2565543

Things Democrats want in their relief bill:

What the hell does most of this have to do with getting through the pandemic? :?
I think donks are going to pay a political price for this.
And Pelosi caved. After holding up the package for 3 days, and conks standing firm, she got none her of add on Marxist, Green New Deal wish list..(the above list was only part of it). And it wasn't Schumer who pushed for the above. With NY getting hammered, he probably told that old hag this hill wasn't worth dying on. Trump and the American people won on this one...:nod:
The American people won if they put in stipulations and didn't give Munchkin free reign on how the money is distributed. Otherwise the American people did ok but Trump and his cronies will be the big winners.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
CitadelGrad
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Jack Kerouac
A.K.A.: El Cid

Post by CitadelGrad »

Here's Jerry Nadler's contribution to the Coronavirus bill: $4 billion for NYC museums, which shouldn't even be open at this time. Fuck people in flyover country trying to pay rent, mortgage payments and buy food.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

- Thomas Jefferson, in letter to William S. Smith, 1787

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

CitadelGrad wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:55 am Here's Jerry Nadler's contribution to the Coronavirus bill: $4 billion for NYC museums, which shouldn't even be open at this time. Fuck people in flyover country trying to pay rent, mortgage payments and buy food.
Yeah...he’s a douche.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Just got word somebody in my office tested positive last night. Their last trip to the office was 14 days ago, so no way of knowing if they had it then.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:45 pm Just got word somebody in my office tested positive last night. Their last trip to the office was 14 days ago, so no way of knowing if they had it then.
That sucks. So are you going to self quarantine?
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:47 pm
89Hen wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:45 pm Just got word somebody in my office tested positive last night. Their last trip to the office was 14 days ago, so no way of knowing if they had it then.
No, going to a MAGA rally tonight. Might stop by the abortion clinic on the way.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:48 pm

No, going to a MAGA rally tonight. Might stop by the abortion clinic on the way.
Thatta boy! :clap:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

A good and sobering read on taking this seriously. Again this is what all of the experts I’ve read are saying and I have some pretty damn good sources beyond the msm. I also think it’s what CID has been implying all along.

Unless you can provide contrary observations and data from credible sources (and I sincerely would love to see it as it would mean we are in fact overreacting) STFU.
Second, although social distancing measures have been (at least temporarily) well-received, there is an obvious-but-overlooked phenomenon when considering groups (i.e. families) in transmission dynamics. While social distancing decreases contact with members of society, it of course increases your contacts with group (i.e. family) members. This small and obvious fact has surprisingly profound implications on disease transmission dynamics. Study after study demonstrates that even if there is only a little bit of connection between groups (i.e. social dinners, playdates/playgrounds, etc.), the epidemic isn’t much different than if there was no measure in place. The same underlying fundamentals of disease transmission apply, and the result is that the community is left with all of the social and economic disruption but very little public health benefit. You should perceive your entire family to function as a single individual unit; if one person puts themselves at risk, everyone in the unit is at risk. Seemingly small social chains get large and complex with alarming speed. If your son visits his girlfriend, and you later sneak over for coffee with a neighbor, your neighbor is now connected to the infected office worker that your son’s girlfriend’s mother shook hands with. This sounds silly, it’s not. This is not a joke or a hypothetical. We as epidemiologists see it borne out in the data time and time again and no one listens. Conversely, any break in that chain breaks disease transmission along that chain.
In contrast to hand-washing and other personal measures, social distancing measures are not about individuals, they are about societies working in unison. These measures also take a long time to see the results. It is hard (even for me) to conceptualize how on a population level ‘one quick little get together’ can undermine the entire framework of a public health intervention, but it does. I promise you it does. I promise. I promise. I promise. You can’t cheat it. People are already itching to cheat on the social distancing precautions just a “little”- a playdate, a haircut, or picking up a needless item at the store, etc. From a transmission dynamics standpoint, this very quickly recreates a highly connected social network that undermines all of the work the community has done so far.
Until we get a viable vaccine this unprecedented outbreak will not be overcome in one grand, sweeping gesture, rather only by the collection of individual choices our community makes in the coming months. This virus is unforgiving to unwise choices. My goal in writing this is to prevent communities from getting ‘sucker-punched’ by what the epidemiological community knows will happen in the coming weeks. It will be easy to be drawn to the idea that what we are doing isn’t working and become paralyzed by fear, or to ‘cheat’ a little bit in the coming weeks. By knowing what to expect, and knowing the importance of maintaining these measures, my hope is to encourage continued community spirit, strategizing, and action to persevere in this time of uncertainty.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

89Hen wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:48 pm

:lol:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Minnesota Governor just ordered stay at home order from Saturday thru April 10.

MPR Link

The goals of the order, Walz said, include:

Build out hospital capacity

Increase access to ventilators and other life-saving equipment

Increase testing for COVID-19

Address personal protective equipment (PPE) shortages for health workers

Plan for how to protect and care for vulnerable populations in coming months

Assess new data to inform mitigation strategy
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

I’m not sure if anything like this has been posted, so it its a repeat, forgive me...

Subject: Best Explanation of the Coronavirus yet

This was written by an Associate Professor of Microbiology, Immunology & Parasitology LSU School of Medicine

Feeling confused as to why Coronavirus is a bigger deal than Seasonal flu? Here it is in a nutshell. I hope this helps. Feel free to share this with others who don’t understand. Otherwise, you
may have to use a hammer.

It has to do with RNA sequencing.... i.e.: genetics.

Seasonal flu is an “all human virus”. The DNA/RNA chains that make up the virus are recognized by the human immune system.

This means that your body has some immunity to it before it comes around each year. You get immunity two ways... through exposure to a virus, or by getting a flu shot.

Novel viruses, come from animals... the WHO ( World Health Org.) tracks novel viruses in animals, (sometimes for years watching for mutations). Usually these viruses only transfer from animal to animal (pigs in the case of H1N1) (birds in the case of the Spanish flu).

But once, one of these animal viruses mutates, and starts to transfer from animals to humans... then it’s a problem, Why? Because we have no natural or acquired immunity… the RNA sequencing of the genes inside the virus isn’t human, and the human immune system doesn’t recognize it so, we can’t fight it off.

Now... sometimes, the mutation only allows transfer from animal to human, for years it’s only transmission is from an infected animal to a human before it finally mutates so that it can now transfer human to human... once that happens… we have a new contagion phase.

And depending on the fashion of this new mutation, that’s what decides how contagious, or how deadly it’s going to be.

H1N1 was deadly.... but it did not mutate in a way that was as deadly as the Spanish flu. It’s RNA was slower to mutate and it attacked its host differently, too.

Fast forward.

Now, here comes this Coronavirus... it existed in animals only, for nobody knows how long... but one day, at an animal market, in Wuhan China, in December 2019, it mutated and made the jump from animal to people.

At first, only animals could give it to a person... But here is the scary part.... in just TWO WEEKS it mutated again and gained the ability to jump from human to human. Scientists call this quick ability, “slippery.”

This Coronavirus, not being in any form a “human” virus (whereas we would all have some natural or acquired immunity), took off like a rocket. And this was because humans have no known immunity... doctors have no known medicines for it.

And it just so happens that this particular mutated animal virus changed itself in such a way that it causes great damage to human lungs.

That’s why Coronavirus is different from seasonal flu, or H1N1 or any other type of influenza.... this one is very slippery. And it’s a lung eater... And, it’s already mutated AGAIN, so that we now have two strains to deal with, strain S, and strain L.... which makes it twice as hard to develop a vaccine.

We really have no tools in our shed with this. History has shown that fast and immediate closings of public places has helped in past pandemics. Philadelphia and Baltimore were reluctant to close events in 1918 and they were the hardest hit in the US during the Spanish Flu.

And let me end by saying.... right now it’s hitting older folks harder... but this genome is so slippery... if it mutates again (and it will). who is to say what it will do next.

Be smart folks... acting like you’re unafraid is so not sexy right now. Stay home as much as you can for now... and share this to those that just are not catching on.
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.