Political discussions
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by 89Hen »

Ivytalk wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:23 am Looks like the Spanish flu’s one-year record is safe.
Kind of interesting that they chose only one particular year of flu deaths. I guess it doesn't look good when other flu years aren't too far from Covid.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

kalm wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 5:11 am Fuck it! We’re done with this. Let’s just reopen.

“Intensive care units in Montgomery, Ala., are overflowing with Covid-19 patients, pushing them into emergency departments that are not primed to care for them. And Alabama’s capital city could be a harbinger for other parts of the country.

ICU beds are also starting to fill up in places like Minnesota’s Twin Cities; Omaha, Neb.; and the entire state of Rhode Island, according to local health officials and epidemiologists tracking such data, a warning sign of possible health care problems down the road. The availability of ICU beds is one measure of a hospital’s ability to care for its most vulnerable patients — people with severe illness who require more staff to treat them and may need life-support equipment such as a ventilator to breathe. And it's served as a metric for whether the local health care system is able to handle a coronavirus outbreak, albeit a constantly shifting one.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/2 ... lag-287552
Minnesota can open another 1000 ICU beds in short time when needed. Most deaths in a day yesterday, over 40. Still a lot of people not taking this serious.
mainejeff
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Post by mainejeff »

Go Black Bears!
mainejeff
Level4
Level4

Post by mainejeff »

Gil Dobie wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 6:03 am
Minnesota can open another 1000 ICU beds in short time when needed. Most deaths in a day yesterday, over 40. Still a lot of people not taking this serious.
The virus or the violence?

:coffee:
Go Black Bears!
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

mainejeff wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 6:14 am

They have plenty of beds for the violence.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 5:11 am Fuck it! We’re done with this. Let’s just reopen.

“Intensive care units in Montgomery, Ala., are overflowing with Covid-19 patients, pushing them into emergency departments that are not primed to care for them. And Alabama’s capital city could be a harbinger for other parts of the country.

ICU beds are also starting to fill up in places like Minnesota’s Twin Cities; Omaha, Neb.; and the entire state of Rhode Island, according to local health officials and epidemiologists tracking such data, a warning sign of possible health care problems down the road. The availability of ICU beds is one measure of a hospital’s ability to care for its most vulnerable patients — people with severe illness who require more staff to treat them and may need life-support equipment such as a ventilator to breathe. And it's served as a metric for whether the local health care system is able to handle a coronavirus outbreak, albeit a constantly shifting one.”

So what is it, are they running out of ICU beds in Minnesota or not? Kalm's link said they're on the precipice of disaster, you're saying they're not even close. This is the kind of crappy reporting we get anymore from journalism today.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:00 am

So what is it, are they running out of ICU beds in Minnesota or not? Kalm's link said they're on the precipice of disaster, you're saying they're not even close. This is the kind of crappy reporting we get anymore from journalism today.
Iv'e read they are running out, but they can setup more when needed, aka Mayo converting hockey arena's, etc.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Gil Dobie wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 6:23 am
mainejeff wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 6:14 am

They have plenty of beds for the violence.

Just like the old days!

Burn Baby Burn! :lol:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:00 am

I would think most areas have back up locations. Doesn’t mean it’s not a significant story. ‘It’s ok...we’ll just stick you in the Howard Johnson Hospital.’
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Gil Dobie wrote:

Holy cow! Over 40 deaths!

Its almost like COVID is giving cancer and diabetes a run fir their money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
mainejeff
Level4
Level4

Post by mainejeff »

CID1990 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 9:29 am
Gil Dobie wrote:
Holy cow! Over 40 deaths!

Thankfully cancer & diabetes are not transmittable.

Go Black Bears!
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

mainejeff wrote:
CID1990 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 9:29 am Holy cow! Over 40 deaths!

They are through stupidity and genetics,?Mr Party of Science

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
mainejeff
Level4
Level4

Post by mainejeff »

CID1990 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 9:45 am
mainejeff wrote:

Car accidents kill many people too but you don't see them banning cars! :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce:

Go Black Bears!
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

CID1990 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 9:45 am
mainejeff wrote:

That's junk science, you rube.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Florida, Georgia, and Texas numbers are still rising. Even worse is the apparent pneumonia outbreak in those states... :suspicious:

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:03 pm Image
Mario there is ignorant of history. He left off the Asian Flu and the Hong Kong Flu.

1957-1958 Asian Flu (came from China)
CDC estimated killed 116,000 Americans out of a population about 175 million, equivalent to about 220,000 out of today’s population of 329 million.

1968-1970 Hong Kong Flu (came from China).
CDC estimate killed about 100,000 Americans out of a population of about 200 million, equivalent to about 165,000 out of today’s population of 329 million.

https://weather.com/health/cold-flu/new ... nt-history
https://www.multpl.com/united-states-po ... le/by-year
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 12:39 pm
Mario there is ignorant of history. He left off the Asian Flu and the Hong Kong Flu.

CDC estimated killed 116,000 Americans out of a population about 175 million, equivalent to about 220,000 out of today’s population of 329 million.

CDC estimate killed about 100,000 Americans out of a population of about 200 million, equivalent to about 165,000 out of today’s population of 329 million.

Where would we be without you?

Hey, did you know Adolf Eichmann was Gestapo?!?!? :coffee:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 12:43 pm

Completely ignoring 2 of the 3 biggest outbreaks in the US in the last 60+ years that each killed 100k+ Americans is just a little bit more significant than whether Eichman’s SS dept was considered part of the Gestapo or not...
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

Washington DC Mayor has issued her plan to reopen the city...with 10 critical things that need to be done...

Number 7 is a doozy...

That’s one way to make up the money that’s been lot because of the pandemic...
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 12:48 pm
Ibanez wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 12:43 pm

Completely ignoring 2 of the 3 biggest outbreaks in the US in the last 60+ years that each killed 100k+ Americans is just a little bit more significant than whether Eichman’s SS dept was considered part of the Gestapo or not...
Not surprisingly, you missed the joke bub.

And you're still wrong, Eichmann was Gestapo. I've shown you the evidence, it's up to you have the intellectual honesty and maturity to admit you were wrong. I'll be here waiting. :whistle: :whistle:
Spoiler: show

You've got it backwards: Gestapo was a subdivision of the SS after Himmler took over.
Last edited by Ibanez on Fri May 29, 2020 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Col Hogan wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 12:56 pm Washington DC Mayor has issued her plan to reopen the city...with 10 critical things that need to be done...

Number 7 is a doozy...

That’s one way to make up the money that’s been lot because of the pandemic...
Good luck. The speed limit in my neighborhood is 20 and nobody obeys it. All those law and order Republicans w/ MAGA stickers love to break that law and then get pissy when they're called out.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 1:17 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 12:48 pm

And you're still wrong, Eichmann was Gestapo. I've shown you the evidence, it's up to you have the intellectual honesty and maturity to admit you were wrong. I'll be here waiting. :whistle: :whistle:

You've got it backwards: Gestapo was a subdivision of the SS after Himmler took over.
I didn’t say Eichman wasn’t Gestapo in my above post by saying WHETHER OR NOT. Whether or not = irrelevant to what we’re talking about. Few weeks ago I was wrong on saying he wasn’t (after Cid said the same). You corrected us. Again, WHETHER OR NOT Eichman’s SS dept was considered part of the Gestapo (it was as you pointed out) is irrelvant to someone ignoring 2 of the 3 biggest outbreaks of the last 60 years.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Why are susceptible people comingling with carriers of COVID?
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote:
Ibanez wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 1:17 pm

I didn’t say Eichman wasn’t Gestapo in my above post by saying WHETHER OR NOT. Whether or not = irrelevant to what we’re talking about. Few weeks ago I was wrong on saying he wasn’t (after Cid said the same). You corrected us. Again, WHETHER OR NOT Eichman’s SS dept was considered part of the Gestapo (it was as you pointed out) is irrelvant to someone ignoring 2 of the 3 biggest outbreaks of the last 60 years.
You did in the COVID Death count thread. Interesting that you didn’t own up to it. Interesting...

Btw, now you may feel how we all do when you have to belabor the point and constantly correct every little thing.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Remember that those numbers for the Asian flu and the Hong Kong flu are estimates. Those estimates substantially exceed the number of actual counted deaths related to those pandemics. What we are dealing with now with COVID-19 are counts. At some point, after it's all over, the CDC will produce an estimate of COVID-19 deaths and the estimated number is going to be a lot bigger than the count. I don't think the difference is going to be as big as it is for the flu. But I think it's going to be substantial.

My bet would be that, in the end, this pandemic will be seen as having caused more deaths in both absolute and per capita terms in the United States than either the Asian flu or the Hong Kong flu did.

Also, this has only been going on for about four months. Things have slowed down some as summer has moved in but we are still averaging around 1,000 deaths per day. The Spanish, Asian, and Hong Kong flu pandemics all had multiple peaks. Looks to me like most experts think this one will as well. All indications are there is a long way to go.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came