Political discussions
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: Coronavirus

Post by BDKJMU »

Trump invokes Defense Production Act against GM.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump- ... uction-act

Not an issue with Ford...
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:02 pm Trump invokes Defense Production Act against GM.

Doesn't the gubmint own a portion of GM? Those fucks should have been allowed to fail during the 07/08 crash.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

SDHornet wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:47 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:02 pm Trump invokes Defense Production Act against GM.

Doesn't the gubmint own a portion of GM? Those fucks should have been allowed to fail during the 07/08 crash.
No - those were sold back at a profit.

GM tells a different story - they have been ready, been in contact with suppliers, but no direction from the Trump Admin as to proceed.
:thumb:
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Chizzang wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:16 pm Image
Drama queens. :roll:

This article gives a little more balance and also matches up to what we were told today in the utility industry.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKBN21D3DI
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

I've said before that I honestly interpret polls whether they indicate what I wish is true or they indicate what I wish were not true. Now we have Trump doing better than he's done since February 2017 with respect to his job approval/disapproval. He's only down by 2 right now in the Real Clear Politics average of polls.

Particularly disturbing is that he is UP 2 in the poll, the ABC News/Washington Post poll, that I consider to be the Gold Standard.

I am just shaking my head. There is no question that there is an association between his job approval situation getting better and this COVID-19 episode. Yet it is blatantly obvious that he very publicly mishandled the response. Very obviously under estimated the threat. Downplayed it. Started off saying it was under control when it is now obvious that it was not. Only 15 cases and soon it'll be close to zero. Now we have the highest reported case total in the world.

Yet his approval rating goes up.
Last edited by JohnStOnge on Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
bobbythekidd
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern
A.K.A.: Bob dammit!!

Post by bobbythekidd »

The first few pages of this thread are completely different from the last few.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

dbackjon wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:53 pm

GM tells a different story - they have been ready, been in contact with suppliers, but no direction from the Trump Admin as to proceed.
Trump again says he used Defensive Production Act to get General Motors to make ventilators after they delayed trying to charge too much. Meanwhile GM says we're working 24/7 on them, have been for days, we have no idea what he's talking about we've always said we were going to make them at cost, the only time money has been raised is us asking him to use the DPA to procure the materials we need because the government can buy at scaled and then save money!

So they're literally redoing their factories to produce ventilators and he's lying about the whole thing as they're helping us. He also blasted them for not using a factory they closed last year, reopen it. They sold the factory over a year ago, they don't own, it, a company making electrical trucks owns it.

Once again Trump is lying out of his ASS, taking credit when he has done jack shit, and fucking morons believe him.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

dbackjon wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:01 pm

Trump again says he used Defensive Production Act to get General Motors to make ventilators after they delayed trying to charge too much. Meanwhile GM says we're working 24/7 on them, have been for days, we have no idea what he's talking about we've always said we were going to make them at cost, the only time money has been raised is us asking him to use the DPA to procure the materials we need because the government can buy at scaled and then save money!

So they're literally redoing their factories to produce ventilators and he's lying about the whole thing as they're helping us. He also blasted them for not using a factory they closed last year, reopen it. They sold the factory over a year ago, they don't own, it, a company making electrical trucks owns it.

Once again Trump is lying out of his ASS, taking credit when he has done jack shit, and fucking morons believe him.
So now leftists are defending big business? Can you fucks make up your mind.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

bobbythekidd wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:58 pm The first few pages of this thread are completely different from the last few.
It's funny what time will do.
1. Makes you smarter
2. Makes you forget what you were thinking earlier.

See Cuomo and DeBlasio. :coffee:
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

bobbythekidd wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:58 pm The first few pages of this thread are completely different from the last few.
:shock:

The Kid !
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

SDHornet wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:11 pm
dbackjon wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:01 pm

So now leftists are defending big business? Can you fucks make up your mind.

Not defending, just correcting Trump Lie #16,786
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Trump is a total screw up. Over the past month he has demonstrated that beyond any reasonable doubt. I mean, anybody with above a room temperature IQ knew that beforehand. But he has REALLY screwed up with this situation.

Yet the cult remains.

It's just amazing.
Could I ever be a star?

CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

JohnStOnge wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:25 pm Trump is a total screw up. Over the past month he has demonstrated that beyond any reasonable doubt. I mean, anybody with above a room temperature IQ knew that beforehand. But he has REALLY screwed up with this situation.

Yet the cult remains.

It's just amazing.
GREATEST

PRESIDENT

EVER
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

All Chinese cinemas have been ordered to close again after trading began to resume. Late on Friday evening, China’s Film Bureau issued a decree ordering all venues to shut down, offering no reason for the change in policy.

Around 600 movie theatres out of the country’s some 70,000 screens had reopened in the past 10 days and although business had been minimal, it is believed that fears over a possible second wave of coronavirus infections are central to the decision.
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/m ... irus-fears
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

CAA Flagship wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:27 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:25 pm Trump is a total screw up. Over the past month he has demonstrated that beyond any reasonable doubt. I mean, anybody with above a room temperature IQ knew that beforehand. But he has REALLY screwed up with this situation.

Yet the cult remains.

It's just amazing.
GREATEST

PRESIDENT

EVER
Surely even you realize that he really mishandled this.
Could I ever be a star?

bobbythekidd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by bobbythekidd »

This tidbit may be interesting to some. My eldest nasty may have it and is on home quarantine.

1. He has a hotline (Skype videos daily) to the doctors but isn't being seen in person for fear of spreading it.
2. He is young and otherwise healthy
3. They don't have test kits were he is
4. He was given one mask for his entire time in quarantine
5. He isn't a statistic because he hasn't been confirmed. Currently showing 0 cases in his county.

Makes one wonder how many cases of this crap are out there but we go full China and not report them.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Wrong. GM shares were sold back at a loss. Govt bought $51.0 billion GM shares, shares were sold for $39.7 billion, for a loss of $11.3 billion.
https://www.thebalance.com/auto-industr ... er-3305670
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

JohnStOnge wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:54 pm I've said before that I honestly interpret polls whether they indicate what I wish is true or they indicate what I wish were not true. Now we have Trump doing better than he's done since February 2017 with respect to his job approval/disapproval. He's only down by 2 right now in the Real Clear Politics average of polls.

Particularly disturbing is that he is UP 2 in the poll, the ABC News/Washington Post poll, that I consider to be the Gold Standard.

I am just shaking my head. There is no question that there is an association between his job approval situation getting better and this COVID-19 episode. Yet it is blatantly obvious that he very publicly mishandled the response. Very obviously under estimated the threat. Downplayed it. Started off saying it was under control when it is now obvious that it was not. Only 15 cases and soon it'll be close to zero. Now we have the highest reported case total in the world.

Yet his approval rating goes up.
Its clear with your TDS going at full throttle, you haven't been paying attention to demented Joe Biden. Just look at him this past week.. :lol:
Last edited by BDKJMU on Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

CAA Flagship wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:27 pm

Yet the cult remains.

It's just amazing.
GREATEST

PRESIDENT

EVER
:notworthy:
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

SDHornet wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:44 pm
All Chinese cinemas have been ordered to close again after trading began to resume. Late on Friday evening, China’s Film Bureau issued a decree ordering all venues to shut down, offering no reason for the change in policy.

Around 600 movie theatres out of the country’s some 70,000 screens had reopened in the past 10 days and although business had been minimal, it is believed that fears over a possible second wave of coronavirus infections are central to the decision.
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/m ... irus-fears
Trump is totally fucking up how China has responded to this. We need to send Andrew Cuomo to China. He'll have them moving right through this unscathed... like New York :coffee:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

bobbythekidd wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:20 pm This tidbit may be interesting to some. My eldest nasty may have it and is on home quarantine.

1. He has a hotline (Skype videos daily) to the doctors but isn't being seen in person for fear of spreading it.
5. He isn't a statistic because he hasn't been confirmed. Currently showing 0 cases in his county.

Makes one wonder how many cases of this crap are out there but we go full China and not report them.
Hope he gets through it like a younger person should. Still scary.
bobbythekidd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by bobbythekidd »

Another tidbit...

I'm considered "essential" but was made to stay home all week because my wife got an upper repository infection. I've never felt bad or had a temperature. I may be able to return on Monday, but I still need to call in before I do.

The IT Dept went into overdrive to make remote access available to all associates despite years and years of claiming it would make the system prone to cyber attacks if they did that. My company isn't taking any chances.

Like someone stated on another thread, we may take stock of how we do business going forward. (Col. Hogan maybe?)
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Great timeline of how China/WHO handled this thing early on. China basically didn't publically admit this thing could be spread human to human until late January, about 5-6 weeks after there were cases of this Chinese Flu spreading.
January 20: The Wuhan Municipal Health Commission declares for the last time in its daily bulletin, “no related cases were found among the close contacts.”

That day, the head of China’s national health commission team investigating the outbreak, confirmed that two cases of infection in China’s Guangdong province had been caused by human-to-human transmission and medical staff had been infected.

Also on this date, the Wuhan Evening News newspaper, the largest newspaper in the city, mentions the virus on the front page for the first time since January 5.

January 21: The CDC announced the first U.S. case of a the coronavirus in a Snohomish County, Wash., resident who returning from China six days earlier.

By this point, millions of people have left Wuhan, carrying the virus all around China and into other countries.
https://www.nationalreview.com/the-morn ... ting-lies/

Fuck China.
bobbythekidd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by bobbythekidd »

93henfan wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:31 pm
bobbythekidd wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:20 pm This tidbit may be interesting to some. My eldest nasty may have it and is on home quarantine.

Hope he gets through it like a younger person should. Still scary.
Thanks dude. He should be fine. I hope the radiation fixes your current case of the sniffles. :D