Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by BDKJMU »

GannonFan wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:23 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:52 pm
True, but the govt shouldn’t be able to dictate that tentants can live rent free for up to a year+, with landlords not being able to evict
This was an area which I'm not sure if it was addressed, but it should've been, like the Paycheck Protection Program. If the government is going to interceded into a private, legal arrangement and in essence stop it, then government needs to compensate, to an extent, for the loss of business, or in this case rent. They'll never be made fully whole, and likely shouldn't, but there should be some recognition that the government basically seized profits from someone. It was for the greater good, but the greater good shouldn't necessarily crush someone in the process.
Why not? If you own a couple rental units that you depend on to help keep a roof over your head, help feed your family, help pay for your kids college, help fund your retirement, etc, if a tenant isn't paying, you should be able to say get the f out via eviction, so you can rent it out to people who will pay.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:52 pm
SDHornet wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:40 am

How long would it take to save up for your first rental property after you pay off your primary house?

If people want to take the risk of going in debt for a rental property, more power to them. Just don't bitch about losing out when the economy hits the skids and you're stuck having to cover additional mortgages. :coffee:
True, but the govt shouldn’t be able to dictate that tentants can live rent free for up to a year+, with landlords not being able to evict
You're acting like these landlords would turn down a gubmint bailout if offered. They took this risk, they can tough out the consequences.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:08 pm

This was an area which I'm not sure if it was addressed, but it should've been, like the Paycheck Protection Program. If the government is going to interceded into a private, legal arrangement and in essence stop it, then government needs to compensate, to an extent, for the loss of business, or in this case rent. They'll never be made fully whole, and likely shouldn't, but there should be some recognition that the government basically seized profits from someone. It was for the greater good, but the greater good shouldn't necessarily crush someone in the process.
Why not? If you own a couple rental units that you depend on to help keep a roof over your head, help feed your family, help pay for your kids college, help fund your retirement, etc, if a tenant isn't paying, you should be able to say get the f out via eviction, so you can rent it out to people who will pay.
Maybe the should have thought this through a little more. They take on these risks, then bare the responsibility. Zero sympathy here for these landlords that over-leveraged themselves with a risky investment. Zero.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

SDHornet wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:46 pm
Maybe the should have thought this through a little more. They take on these risks, then bare the responsibility. Zero sympathy here for these landlords that over-leveraged themselves with a risky investment. Zero.
Doesn't that logic also apply to restaurant owners? Couldn't it also apply to market investors if the government gets even more involved in picking winners and losers?

The eviction moratorium forced landlords to keep tenants who weren't paying their rent, some of whom were trashing their places when they eventually did move. It kept them from cutting their losses and moving on.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

UNI88 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:13 pm

Doesn't that logic also apply to restaurant owners? Couldn't it also apply to market investors if the government gets even more involved in picking winners and losers?

The eviction moratorium forced landlords to keep tenants who weren't paying their rent, some of whom were trashing their places when they eventually did move. It kept them from cutting their losses and moving on.
Like the Obama/Bush bailout of banks, while letting the America home owners lose their houses?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

If you own a couple of rental units you’re part of the problem, not the solution. Just ask Trip. He’s got it all figured out.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Did anyone seriously think it was a “risk” that the government was going to step in and basically allow people to stop paying their rent and live for free for 12-18 months? Rental properties aren’t that complicated. You pay X, you rent it for Y, and hopefully the rent covers the mortgage and expenses and you have a little left over to put in the bank. It can take YEARS to get to a point where the property is paid off/down to the point where the income is substantial. And while There’s an “X” on the property, the bank is at risk as well (I know, I know, who GAF about big bad banks, right?).

And how about this concept: If the government bears no risk (which it most certainly does not), why does it get to tax the reward?
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:30 am

Did anyone seriously think it was a “risk” that the government was going to step in and basically allow people to stop paying their rent and live for free for 12-18 months? Rental properties aren’t that complicated. You pay X, you rent it for Y, and hopefully the rent covers the mortgage and expenses and you have a little left over to put in the bank. It can take YEARS to get to a point where the property is paid off/down to the point where the income is substantial. And while There’s an “X” on the property, the bank is at risk as well (I know, I know, who GAF about big bad banks, right?).

And how about this concept: If the government bears no risk (which it most certainly does not), why does it get to tax the reward?
Government helped the banks and the auto industry in the past, why not the landlords? Follow the money.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

The trashing of apartments can be mitigated through insurance and/or cost of doing business, but you make a good point. I wonder what percentage of rental property owners rely upon that as their sole source of income? I think you can make a case for bail outs everywhere but shouldn’t over heads precede investment income?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:06 am

The trashing of apartments can be mitigated through insurance and/or cost of doing business, but you make a good point. I wonder what percentage of rental property owners rely upon that as their sole source of income? I think you can make a case for bail outs everywhere but shouldn’t over heads precede investment income?
Trashed apartments is just another headache during a very stressful time. It's anecdotal but I've talked to 2 landlords who rely primarily on rental income in the last year. I'm sure there are more of them than most people realize.

From what I've heard (anecdotal again) landlords are offering to assist tenants with filling out and submitting assistance paperwork but many tenants who aren't paying rent also aren't putting in the effort to get assistance. There is also less assistance available to tenants who moved to less expensive apartments to pay back rent at their old apartments.

Just more examples of legislative bodies and governmental agencies rushing to solve a problem without putting enough effort into considering potential unintended consequences.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:24 am
kalm wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:06 am

Trashed apartments is just another headache during a very stressful time. It's anecdotal but I've talked to 2 landlords who rely primarily on rental income in the last year. I'm sure there are more of them than most people realize.

From what I've heard (anecdotal again) landlords are offering to assist tenants with filling out and submitting assistance paperwork but many tenants who aren't paying rent also aren't putting in the effort to get assistance. There is also less assistance available to tenants who moved to less expensive apartments to pay back rent at their old apartments.

Just more examples of legislative bodies and governmental agencies rushing to solve a problem without putting enough effort into considering potential unintended consequences.
:thumb:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Gil Dobie wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:46 am

Government helped the banks and the auto industry in the past, why not the landlords? Follow the money.
How about the govt not declaring that people can't be evicted for failing to pay rent for a year+, then there's no necessity to help out landlords.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Yes. Yes it does.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Gil Dobie wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:19 am

Like the Obama/Bush bailout of banks, while letting the America home owners lose their houses?
And we've come full circle. :nod:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

You get what you vote for. :coffee:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SDHornet wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:09 am

SD...killing it here. :clap:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

SDHornet wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:09 am

Well I agree with that, but nice deflection. :tothehand: :tothehand:
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

No. No. No. New study by IHME on total deaths.
Figure 6 shows the adjusted daily deaths for the world once reported deaths are multiplied by these estimated ratios for each location and week. Our analysis estimates that by May 3, 2021, the total number of COVID-19 deaths was 6.93 million
http://www.healthdata.org/special-analy ... -19-deaths
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

SeattleGriz wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:11 pm No. No. No. New study by IHME on total deaths.
Figure 6 shows the adjusted daily deaths for the world once reported deaths are multiplied by these estimated ratios for each location and week. Our analysis estimates that by May 3, 2021, the total number of COVID-19 deaths was 6.93 million
Flu deaths are also estimated. This puts the US death estimate to over 900,000.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:11 pm No. No. No. New study by IHME on total deaths.
Wow. That’s a lot of deaths but freedom ain’t free

Fucking Fauci!
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Interesting map.

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:52 am Interesting map.

Similar to pornhub’s search results data for BBC’s.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:20 am

Wow. That’s a lot of deaths but freedom ain’t free

Fucking Fauci!
You can tell Fauci had a hand in it. 6.93 is a made up number only used properly by those on this board. Fucking Fauci.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:23 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:52 am Interesting map.

:o And you know that how?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:13 am
kalm wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:23 am

:o And you know that how?
Red state latent homosexuality via polling.