Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:49 am
kalm wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:32 am

Most of them were really just the flu.
Aren't suicide statistics muddied just like economic numbers? Do dropping suicide numbers prove that pandemic lockdowns and restrictions didn't impact mental health? Or do they prove nothing because we don't know how much of the drop is due to concerted efforts to raise awareness of mental health issues and encourage people to reach out if they needed help?
Yes.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

UNI88 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:49 am
kalm wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:32 am

Most of them were really just the flu.
Aren't suicide statistics muddied just like economic numbers? Do dropping suicide numbers prove that pandemic lockdowns and restrictions didn't impact mental health? Or do they prove nothing because we don't know how much of the drop is due to concerted efforts to raise awareness of mental health issues and encourage people to reach out if they needed help?
Then it's more good news, if we can keep the awareness of mental health issues in the forefront, and encourage people to reach out.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Gil Dobie wrote:
UNI88 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:49 am Aren't suicide statistics muddied just like economic numbers? Do dropping suicide numbers prove that pandemic lockdowns and restrictions didn't impact mental health? Or do they prove nothing because we don't know how much of the drop is due to concerted efforts to raise awareness of mental health issues and encourage people to reach out if they needed help?
Then it's more good news, if we can keep the awareness of mental health issues in the forefront, and encourage people to reach out.
True but it's disingenuous to use dropping suicide numbers as proof that lockdowns and restrictions haven't damaged and cost lives. Too many people are bound and determined to argue that lockdowns and restrictions were 100% right or wrong without admitting that there were positives and negatives and that there was a balanced approach if we would have taken the time to think rationally rather than taking an ideological stand and scolding the opposition.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

UNI88 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:53 am
Gil Dobie wrote:
True but it's disingenuous to use dropping suicide numbers as proof that lockdowns and restrictions haven't damaged and cost lives. Too many people are bound and determined to argue that lockdowns and restrictions were 100% right or wrong without admitting that there were positives and negatives and that there was a balanced approach if we would have taken the time to think rationally rather than taking an ideological stand and scolding the opposition.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
I didn't say anything about lockdowns. If you noticed the portion I copied from the link, it said they were not sure on the impacts of the pandemic.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Second dose in my arm this morning. I have tee times tomorrow and Saturday... praying for no soreness or side-effects.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:01 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:51 pm

Now compare California and Florida. Because they can in no way prove a causal relationship between wearing masks and the shape/magnitude of the case curves.
40 million people versus 21 million people. Florida is still producing more cases per day than California.

Both peaked in early January.

7 day moving average is 48 deaths for California, 64 deaths per day in Florida.
New cases, 7 day moving average 1747 for California, 3690 for Florida
Newsolini has clamped down on these numbers since the recall effort has ramped up. If you don't believe me, just look at the CA testing numbers over the past few months.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

kalm wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:18 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:56 pm

CA Deaths/Million: 1,578
FL Deaths/Million: 1,671
TX Deaths/Million: 1,767

Almost statistically insignificant.

And for comparison purposes, two of the most draconian shutdown states:

NY Deaths/million: 2,731
NJ Deaths/million: 2,914

There's no "whoops" there. If you've been to both states (FL, CA) recently (I have) you see the incredible difference in their economies because of the way they handled the virus. Literally the ONLY thing holding back FL is the cruise lines continuing to be shut down. Again, there's no proof of a causal relationship between mask wearing and the virus curves. There IS proof, however, that the economic destruction wrought by the shutdowns is real, and in many cases permanent and in most cases, more damaging.
Yeah..what’s a few 10 thousand deaths anyway?

BTW since were throwing around loose economic numbers, Cali is operating at a surplus, and Seattle’s economy is one of the best coming out of this.
Yeah, without pension obligations taken into consideration. :rofl:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

1 co-worker is home with his covid family this week. Another had his entire family get covid, his father passed, and mother spent a month in the hospital. Wife's had one co-worker loose his parent in Brazil and another co-worker lost one in India.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Rand Paul grills Fauci on funding gain of function research.

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

CDC just published new guidance making masks and social distancing optional for those fully vaccinated and having completed a two-week period allowing antibodies to develop, regardless of whether one is indoors or outdoors, with certain exceptions like public transportation and correctional facilities.

My main concern is: how does one know if anyone without a mask really IS vaccinated short of having to carry the stinking card around all the time? They're going to be easy to lose....

https://www.yahoo.com/news/cdc-lifts-in ... 07179.html

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SDHornet wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:39 pm Rand Paul grills Fauci on funding gain of function research.

Did you listen to the JRE podcast with journalist Josh Rogen (no relation).

If it was in fact man made and what Rogen says is true we basically funded this pandemic.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

kalm wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:52 pm
SDHornet wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:39 pm Rand Paul grills Fauci on funding gain of function research.

If it was in fact man made and what Rogen says is true we basically funded this pandemic.
No, caught some of the Dave Chappelle episode. Link to the Rogen one?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SDHornet wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:53 pm
kalm wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:52 pm

No, caught some of the Dave Chappelle episode. Link to the Rogen one?
Curious as to your thoughts on this.

GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

SuperHornet wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:46 pm CDC just published new guidance making masks and social distancing optional for those fully vaccinated and having completed a two-week period allowing antibodies to develop, regardless of whether one is indoors or outdoors, with certain exceptions like public transportation and correctional facilities.

My main concern is: how does one know if anyone without a mask really IS vaccinated short of having to carry the stinking card around all the time? They're going to be easy to lose....

So, that's it, pandemic's over, correct? :clap:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

GannonFan wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:08 pm
SuperHornet wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:46 pm CDC just published new guidance making masks and social distancing optional for those fully vaccinated and having completed a two-week period allowing antibodies to develop, regardless of whether one is indoors or outdoors, with certain exceptions like public transportation and correctional facilities.

So, that's it, pandemic's over, correct? :clap:
The Commie Dictator of California won't let it be quite THAT easy, but we SHOULD be on the way out. Or so I hope....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

So, what else did the "experts" get wrong? :coffee:
Bars, gyms and restaurants. Those were just a few settings health experts warned could become hotbeds for COVID-19 spread as states began reopening in the spring and summer of 2020 following the first and second waves of the coronavirus pandemic in the United States.

Yet, public data analyzed by ABC News appears to tell a different story. The data from states across the country suggests specific outbreak settings (including bars, gyms, restaurants, nail salons, barbershops and stores -- for the full list, see graphic below in story) only accounted for a small percentage, if any, of new outbreaks after the pandemic's inital wave in 2020.
https://abcnews.go.com/Health/covid-19- ... itter_abcn
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

SDHornet wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:25 pm So, what else did the "experts" get wrong? :coffee:
Bars, gyms and restaurants. Those were just a few settings health experts warned could become hotbeds for COVID-19 spread as states began reopening in the spring and summer of 2020 following the first and second waves of the coronavirus pandemic in the United States.

Yet, public data analyzed by ABC News appears to tell a different story. The data from states across the country suggests specific outbreak settings (including bars, gyms, restaurants, nail salons, barbershops and stores -- for the full list, see graphic below in story) only accounted for a small percentage, if any, of new outbreaks after the pandemic's inital wave in 2020.
You should quote the parts saying mitigation efforts (social distancing, reduced capacity, masks, etc) likely kept outbreaks low.

Experts thought these places could be hot beds, we implemented measures to reduce risks, and it worked.
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

It's kinda odd, how just the day before the CDC, Biden and Fauci were dug in deep defending the vaccinated still wear masks. Next day, if you got the shots, no masks. They must have gotten new polling saying people were figuring this shit out.
No clue how "they" going to know who's vaxxed and who isn't. Its called personal privacy.
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SDHornet wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:25 pm So, what else did the "experts" get wrong? :coffee:

Not a very reliable study although it makes sense given the measures businesses were required to enforce. Public social distancing and prevention was probably better than social groups like churches and family.

But if the analysis is true, we could have figured it out sooner with more rigorous testing and contact tracing.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

kalm wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:55 am

Not a very reliable study although it makes sense given the measures businesses were required to enforce. Public social distancing and prevention was probably better than social groups like churches and family.

But if the analysis is true, we could have figured it out sooner with more rigorous testing and contact tracing.
Or those places were never going to be hot beds of China Virus activities...kinda like how schools haven't been.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

89Hen wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:19 am Second dose in my arm this morning. I have tee times tomorrow and Saturday... praying for no soreness or side-effects.
Had to bail on golf today. Was up all night with a fever and uncontrollable shivers. :|
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

I'm shocked! The whistleblower in Florida is fake news! Only figured that out about 2 hours into the "scandal" when it came out.

Everything is better with SeattleGriz
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:12 am
89Hen wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:19 am Second dose in my arm this morning. I have tee times tomorrow and Saturday... praying for no soreness or side-effects.
Had to bail on golf today. Was up all night with a fever and uncontrollable shivers. :|
Bummer. At least it only last a day or do.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SDHornet wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:00 am
kalm wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:55 am

Or those places were never going to be hot beds of China Virus activities...kinda like how schools haven't been.
There were still uncertainties and Again...more strictly enforced protocols. Try explain to folks that they’re kids can go to school but they shouldn’t go to church or large family gatherings. :lol:
Last edited by kalm on Fri May 14, 2021 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

kalm wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:07 am
SDHornet wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:00 am

There were still uncertainties and Again...more strictly enforced protocols. Try explain to folks that they’re kids can go to school but they shouldn’t go to church or large family gatherings. :lol:
I do need to explain as I don't think any of those should have been shut down entering late summer/fall 2020. :coffee: