Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by houndawg »

SDHornet wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:53 pm Oh. :lol:

:rofl:

So the CDC knows what its talking about now?
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

houndawg wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 6:05 am
SDHornet wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:53 pm Oh. :lol:

:ohno: The CDC study was recreated with larger numbers and shows it was incorrect. CDC got it wrong.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

SeattleGriz wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 7:23 am
houndawg wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 6:05 am

:ohno: The CDC study was recreated with larger numbers and shows it was incorrect. CDC got it wrong.
Sounds like science. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

houndawg wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:10 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 7:23 am

Sounds like science. :coffee:
Sounds like government...

...same idiots that thought the CDC (gubmint) would get a handle on the China Virus now want the same "do something" approach to the gun issue. Yeah, no.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Thank you for this Covidians. Good call on shutting down schools.

houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

SDHornet wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:25 pm Thank you for this Covidians. Good call on shutting down schools.

Lately you seem to be in a protracted state of experiencing that "not-so-fresh" feeling...is there also a shortage of feminine products along with the formula?
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

COVID has finally come to the Ibanez household. LilCCU tested positive on Sunday. She's acting and feeling like her normal self except for a runny nose. MrsCCU tested positive today and it looks like a bad cold.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

SDHornet wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:25 pm Thank you for this Covidians. Good call on shutting down schools.

Not just students, but adults as well. Some very interesting data on petty law breaking (speeding, road rage, etc.) that has increased greatly during and since the lock downs. People saw that rules were not being enforced and ignored (politicians/celebrities not following lock down restrictions) , and figured if they can get by with it, why can't we.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Ibanez wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 4:34 am COVID has finally come to the Ibanez household. LilCCU tested positive on Sunday. She's acting and feeling like her normal self except for a runny nose. MrsCCU tested positive today and it looks like a bad cold.
Best of luck to you and the family. :nod:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Ibanez wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 4:34 am COVID has finally come to the Ibanez household. LilCCU tested positive on Sunday. She's acting and feeling like her normal self except for a runny nose. MrsCCU tested positive today and it looks like a bad cold.
Best wishes on a speedy and complete recovery.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Sounds like everyone will be fine. Get well soon. :thumb:
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

SDHornet wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:20 pm
This is fake news, remember?
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

SDHornet wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:28 pm
Thanks. It's like a bad cold. Mrs. CCU is doing better.

And now I have it. It's interesting - Lil CCU and Mrs CCUs test took less than 30 seconds to show a positive result. Mine took almost 10 minutes. :coffee:
Last edited by Ibanez on Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:57 am
SDHornet wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:28 pm

Thanks. It's like a bad cold. Mrs. CCU is doing better.

And now I have it. It's interesting - Lil CCU and Mrs CCUs test took less than 30 minutes to show a positive result. Mine took almost 10 minutes. :coffee:
:?
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

houndawg wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:34 am
Ibanez wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:57 am Thanks. It's like a bad cold. Mrs. CCU is doing better.

And now I have it. It's interesting - Lil CCU and Mrs CCUs test took less than 30 minutes to show a positive result. Mine took almost 10 minutes. :coffee:
Meant 30 seconds. :oops:
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:35 am
houndawg wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:34 am

Meant 30 seconds. :oops:
gotcha - good luck with the recovery, shouldn't be too bad for you young folk :thumb:
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

I'm shocked.

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Food for thought for the cult of COVID folks.
I am proud to be a teacher. I’ve worked in the Canadian public school system for the past 15 years, mostly at the high school level, teaching morals and ethics.

I don’t claim to be a doctor or an expert in virology. There is a lot I don’t know. But I spend my days with our youth and they tell me a lot about their lives. And I want to tell you what I’m hearing and what I’m seeing.

Since the beginning of the pandemic, when our school went fully remote, it was evident to me that the loss of human connection would be detrimental to our students’ development. It also became increasingly clear that the response to the pandemic would have immense consequences for students who were already on the path to long-term disengagement, potentially altering their lives permanently.

The data about learning loss and the mental health crisis is devastating. Overlooked has been the deep shame young people feel: Our students were taught to think of their schools as hubs for infection and themselves as vectors of disease. This has fundamentally altered their understanding of themselves.

When we finally got back into the classroom in September 2020, I was optimistic, even as we would go remote for weeks, sometimes months, whenever case numbers would rise. But things never returned to normal.

They are anxious and depressed. Previously outgoing students are now terrified at the prospect of being singled out to stand in front of the class and speak. And many of my students seem to have found comfort behind their masks. They feel exposed when their peers can see their whole face.

Around this time of year, we start planning for the prom, which is held in June. Usually, my students would already be chatting constantly about who’s asking who, what they’re planning on wearing, and how excited they are. This year, they’ve barely discussed it at all. When they do, they tell me that they don’t want to get their hopes up, since they’re assuming it will get cancelled like it has for the past couple of years.

It’s the same deal with universities. My students say, “If university is going to be just like this then what’s the point?” I have my own children, a nine-year-old daughter and a seven-year-old son, who have spent almost a third of their lives in lockdown. They’ve become so used to cancellations that they don’t even feel disappointed anymore.

I think all of my students are angry to some degree, but I hear it most from the kids who are athletes. They were told that if they got the vaccine, everything would go back to normal, and they could go back to the rink or the court. Some sports were back for a while but, as of Christmas, because of the recent wave of Covid-19 cases, club and varsity sports are all cancelled once again. A lot of the athletes are missing chances to get seen by coaches and get scholarships.

I try to take time at the beginning of class to ask my kids how they’re doing. Recently, one of my 11th grade students raised his hand and said that he wasn’t doing well, that he doesn't want to keep living like this, but that he knows that no one is coming to save them. The other kids all nodded in agreement. They feel lied to—and I can’t blame them.

What’s most worrisome to me is that they feel deep worry and shame over the prospect of breaking the rules.

Teenage girls are notoriously empathetic. I see that many of my students, but especially the female ones, feel a heavy burden of responsibility. Right before Christmas, one of my brightest 12th graders confided in me that she was terrified of taking her mask off. She told me that she didn’t want to get anyone sick or kill anybody. She was worried she would be held responsible for someone dying.

What am I supposed to say? That 23 children have died from Covid in Canada during the whole of the pandemic and she is much more likely to kill someone driving a car? That kids in Scandinavia, Sweden, and the Netherlands largely haven’t had to wear masks at school and haven’t seen outbreaks because of it? That masks are not a magic shield against the virus, and that even if she were to pass it along to a classmate, the risk of them getting seriously sick is minuscule?

I want to tell her that she can remove her mask, and socialize with her friends without being worried.

But I am expected to enforce the rules.

At the beginning of the pandemic, adults shamed kids for wanting to play at the park or hang out with their friends. We kept hearing, “They’ll be fine. They’re resilient.” It’s true that humans, by nature, are very resilient. But they also break. And my students are breaking. Some have already broken.
When we look at the Covid-19 pandemic through the lens of history, I believe it will be clear that we betrayed our children. The risks of this pandemic were never to them, but they were forced to carry the burden of it. It’s enough. It’s time for a return to normal life and put an end to the bureaucratic policies that aren't making society safer, but are sacrificing our children's mental, emotional, and physical health.

Our children need life on the highest volume. And they need it now.
https://bariweiss.substack.com/p/im-a-p ... e-kids?s=r

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:14 am Food for thought for the cult of COVID folks.
I am proud to be a teacher. I’ve worked in the Canadian public school system for the past 15 years, mostly at the high school level, teaching morals and ethics.

I don’t claim to be a doctor or an expert in virology. There is a lot I don’t know. But I spend my days with our youth and they tell me a lot about their lives. And I want to tell you what I’m hearing and what I’m seeing.

Since the beginning of the pandemic, when our school went fully remote, it was evident to me that the loss of human connection would be detrimental to our students’ development. It also became increasingly clear that the response to the pandemic would have immense consequences for students who were already on the path to long-term disengagement, potentially altering their lives permanently.

The data about learning loss and the mental health crisis is devastating. Overlooked has been the deep shame young people feel: Our students were taught to think of their schools as hubs for infection and themselves as vectors of disease. This has fundamentally altered their understanding of themselves.

When we finally got back into the classroom in September 2020, I was optimistic, even as we would go remote for weeks, sometimes months, whenever case numbers would rise. But things never returned to normal.

They are anxious and depressed. Previously outgoing students are now terrified at the prospect of being singled out to stand in front of the class and speak. And many of my students seem to have found comfort behind their masks. They feel exposed when their peers can see their whole face.

Around this time of year, we start planning for the prom, which is held in June. Usually, my students would already be chatting constantly about who’s asking who, what they’re planning on wearing, and how excited they are. This year, they’ve barely discussed it at all. When they do, they tell me that they don’t want to get their hopes up, since they’re assuming it will get cancelled like it has for the past couple of years.

It’s the same deal with universities. My students say, “If university is going to be just like this then what’s the point?” I have my own children, a nine-year-old daughter and a seven-year-old son, who have spent almost a third of their lives in lockdown. They’ve become so used to cancellations that they don’t even feel disappointed anymore.

I think all of my students are angry to some degree, but I hear it most from the kids who are athletes. They were told that if they got the vaccine, everything would go back to normal, and they could go back to the rink or the court. Some sports were back for a while but, as of Christmas, because of the recent wave of Covid-19 cases, club and varsity sports are all cancelled once again. A lot of the athletes are missing chances to get seen by coaches and get scholarships.

I try to take time at the beginning of class to ask my kids how they’re doing. Recently, one of my 11th grade students raised his hand and said that he wasn’t doing well, that he doesn't want to keep living like this, but that he knows that no one is coming to save them. The other kids all nodded in agreement. They feel lied to—and I can’t blame them.

What’s most worrisome to me is that they feel deep worry and shame over the prospect of breaking the rules.

Teenage girls are notoriously empathetic. I see that many of my students, but especially the female ones, feel a heavy burden of responsibility. Right before Christmas, one of my brightest 12th graders confided in me that she was terrified of taking her mask off. She told me that she didn’t want to get anyone sick or kill anybody. She was worried she would be held responsible for someone dying.

What am I supposed to say? That 23 children have died from Covid in Canada during the whole of the pandemic and she is much more likely to kill someone driving a car? That kids in Scandinavia, Sweden, and the Netherlands largely haven’t had to wear masks at school and haven’t seen outbreaks because of it? That masks are not a magic shield against the virus, and that even if she were to pass it along to a classmate, the risk of them getting seriously sick is minuscule?

I want to tell her that she can remove her mask, and socialize with her friends without being worried.

But I am expected to enforce the rules.

At the beginning of the pandemic, adults shamed kids for wanting to play at the park or hang out with their friends. We kept hearing, “They’ll be fine. They’re resilient.” It’s true that humans, by nature, are very resilient. But they also break. And my students are breaking. Some have already broken.
When we look at the Covid-19 pandemic through the lens of history, I believe it will be clear that we betrayed our children. The risks of this pandemic were never to them, but they were forced to carry the burden of it. It’s enough. It’s time for a return to normal life and put an end to the bureaucratic policies that aren't making society safer, but are sacrificing our children's mental, emotional, and physical health.

Our children need life on the highest volume. And they need it now.
I think it’s had an effect just noticing the kids around me.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:01 am
Winterborn wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:14 am Food for thought for the cult of COVID folks.

I think it’s had an effect just noticing the kids around me.
I cannot quantify what I have seen, as I am not around kids that often, but talking to co-workers about their kids and activities, they have seen a drastic change. I know several that are either changing schools (i.e moving in some cases) or homeschooling due to a variety of reasons but COVID policies is one of the key reasons they mention. One coworkers kid (entered first grade in 2020) has had a hard time grasping lessons and understanding school. Parents have had to put in more work than they did with their other two kids at that age. And he is not the only one struggling in his class according to his teacher.

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

My experience with COVID this far - I’ve lost 6 pounds, have a 24/7 headache and shortness of breathe. I got winded taking a shower this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Ibanez wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:42 am My experience with COVID this far - I’ve lost 6 pounds, have a 24/7 headache and shortness of breathe. I got winded taking a shower this morning.

That doesn’t sound very fun.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Ibanez wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:42 am My experience with COVID this far - I’ve lost 6 pounds, have a 24/7 headache and shortness of breathe. I got winded taking a shower this morning.

Thoughts and prayers coming your way. :D

And congrats on loosing weight.