Re: Coronavirus

Post by CID1990 »

Chizzang wrote:
CID1990 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:25 pm I’m concerned about Clitz

He needs and intervention or a hug or maybe just some lithium

I can handle the first two.

Jearf, do you have some extra lithium?

Generally speaking,
I've never had more fun than I'm having right now in my life... things are pretty darn good
Both my folks are happy and healthy spending their days in Palm Springs

Business is booming both here and in Europe - so work is good
I still enjoy all of my hobbies
I couldn't ask for more

:notworthy:

The gods are merciful and gracious
So you’re rejecting my offer of a hug

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

CID1990 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:19 pm
Chizzang wrote:
Generally speaking,
I've never had more fun than I'm having right now in my life... things are pretty darn good
Both my folks are happy and healthy spending their days in Palm Springs

Business is booming both here and in Europe - so work is good
I still enjoy all of my hobbies
I couldn't ask for more

:notworthy:

The gods are merciful and gracious
So you’re rejecting my offer of a hug

Or he's playing hard to get, hoping for a reach around. :D
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

kalm wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:46 pm
Whoa! How about our subs?
I suggest Jersey Mikes.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:04 pm
CAA Flagship wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:38 pm Was watching some doctor being interviewed the other day and she said that the virus is transmitted far more by airborne droplets than contact.

I'm finding that hard to believe. Maybe it's an easier path for the virus but I wonder if it is "far more" than by contact. I don't know.

What say you?
Doc at a NY hospital saying the complete opposite.
Price went on say the virus is primarily transmitted by touching someone who has the virus and then touching your face.

"The ways that you get this is the transmission of the virus almost exclusively from your hands to your face, from your hands to your face and inside your eyes, into your nose or into your mouth," Price explained. "So there's a lot of talk about contact or getting it through contacts, hands to face."

The doctor also addressed the idea that the virus is transmitted by "long sustained contact" or through the air.

"There's also a small thought that it can be aerosolized, that it can kind of exist a little bit in the air," Price said. "The thought at this point is that you actually have to have very long sustained contact with someone. And I'm talking about over 15 to 30 minutes in an unprotected environment, meaning you're in a very closed room without any type of mask for you to get it that way."

"But very simply stated, the overwhelming majority of people are getting this by physically touching someone who has this disease or will develop it in the next one to two days and then touching their face," he pointed out.

"The thing that makes me smile a little bit is I actually know now that I won't get this disease because I know how to protect myself," Price said in the video.

Price offered two practical tips to keep you, your family and your friends from getting the coronavirus.

"Become a hand Nazi. Everything you know about your hands, just keep it clean and you will not get this disease," Price said. "The second thing is you have to start psychologically working on the connection between your hands and your face."

"Those two things combined is incredibly powerful and will prevent the transmission of disease in your family in 99 percent of cases, to know your hands are clean and not touch your face, period," Price added.
https://www.foxnews.com/media/doctor-da ... oronavirus
Thanks for the follow-up. This makes more sense to me, logically.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

JohnStOnge wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:46 pm God Lord it is SO embarrassing to have this guy as President of the United States. Really makes all of us look like a bunch of complete rubes. Watching the press briefing. So humiliating to be part of a population that would allow for somebody like that to end up being elected to ANYTHING.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

CAA Flagship wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:53 am
JohnStOnge wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:46 pm God Lord it is SO embarrassing to have this guy as President of the United States. Really makes all of us look like a bunch of complete rubes. Watching the press briefing. So humiliating to be part of a population that would allow for somebody like that to end up being elected to ANYTHING.
It only took him two months, and a staggering projected loss-of-life, to finally admit this isn't "like the flu."

A lot of people will now die because the Fed wasn't taking it seriously in January, despite all the internal and external warnings.

This will go down as one of the biggest presidential failures in American history. This is Trump's legacy.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

∞∞∞ wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:57 am

It only took him two months, and a staggering projected loss-of-life, to finally admit this isn't "like the flu."

A lot of people will now die because the Fed wasn't taking it seriously in January, despite all the internal and external warnings.

This will go down as one of the biggest presidential failures in American history. This is Trump's legacy.
He's about 6 months away from getting re-elected...
So he'll have plenty of opportunities to write his legacy

:coffee:
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

∞∞∞ wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:57 am

Until we have a vaccine, what do you propose should've been done or what we should be doing? The issue is that it's highly contagious, and that some people (older people, physically compromised, etc), if they get it, have a high likelihood of dying. And until we get that vaccine (and if it's 12-18 months before we get that vaccine) then we're running the risk of those folks dying if they even as so much get exposed to the virus over the next 12-18 months. This isn't just about what we could've done throughout February, it's what we do now and for the next year, at a minimum, to prevent those compromised individuals from chancing exposure to the virus, if that's even possible. People aren't dying because we lack ventilators - at least here in the US (even in NYC, they aren't saying they are actively rationing ventilators yet) - they are dying because they got exposed to the virus and because largely they had some other health condition that made them more likely to die as a result.

So outside of the politics of this, how do we deal with this? Do we stay in lockdown for 12-18 months until the vaccine is here? Somehow procur the 330M masks (and likely multiply that by 2 or 3, masks don't last forever) that are needed for every person in this country for just the next month, let alone the next 12-18 months while we're all still at risk? No place anywhere in the world is back to normal. We would certainly have had better outcomes here if we had gone to martial law at the end of January and actively kept people in their homes, but even today, even with stay at home orders in many places, even with actual evidence of people getting the virus and dying from it, people will be out and about all over this country either working or exercising or buying food or something. These are pretty big questions with not pretty clear answers.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Put the nation on lock down until the virus is contained, automatically enroll the entire population in the ACA for the time being without any out-of-pocket costs, and send out a monthly check to cover basic expenses for two or three months. Make it illegal to collect rent, mortgages, or any other loans for the time being, with no interest being accumulated.

People can still get groceries, medicine, and exercise outside as long as they're maintaining safe social distancing requirements. Decide which industries are essential (it'll still be a long list) and allow those people to work. Use the national guard and local police to enforce this.

We don't need to wait until a vaccine; we just need to get to a point where it's contained.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

∞∞∞ wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:04 am Make it illegal to collect rent, mortgages, or any other loans for the time being, with no interest being accumulated.
Yeah, fuck that stupid idea. I'm not JP Morgan Chase. I need my tenant to pay up. Why should I be penalized? I'm providing a home for someone. I need to be paid. I'm not a charity.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

∞∞∞ wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:04 am Put the nation on lock down until the virus is contained, automatically enroll the entire population in the ACA for the time being without any out-of-pocket costs, and send out a monthly check to cover basic expenses for two or three months. Make it illegal to collect rent, mortgages, or any other loan for the time being.

People can still get groceries, medicine, and exercise outside as long as they're maintaining safe social distancing requirements. Use the national guard and local police to enforce this.

We don't need to wait until a vaccine; we just need to get to a point where it's contained.
Now see, those are some actual ideas. And I agree with the freeze on all payments like rent and mortgages and other loans. Of course, there are people that depend on those loans and payments for their own livelihood, so we'll have to determine how to deal with that. And I agree on the monthly check for basic expenses, especially to those without employment at this time (and almost exclusively to those people - we have real people with real problems from not working - we need to take care of those folks).

I'm not sure what using the national guard or local police will do - first of all, there aren't enough of them to police the entire population, not even close. And second, if people are going out and about for groceries or medicine or exercise, how are they going to know who to stop and who not to stop? Cars driving down a road don't look different depending on their destination - when I drive to work everyday and I see other cars on the road, I'm not good enough to divine where they are going and if they should be out there. Do police and national guard have radars for that?

But the problem does lie, apparently, with the idea of "containment". There's no evidence anywhere that it gets contained. People are popping up in Asia with the virus again, and the same people that are at risk now (the old, the immuno-compromised, etc) will still be old and immunocompromised in 2-3 months. And unless we get that 5 minute test that is supposedly out there no one is going to know if they're carrying the virus or not. There's a report out of Iceland that 50% of people infected are asymptomatic. I could have it right now and I would never know it if I didn't have a symptom. So for the next 12-18 months while we wait for a vaccine, do we tell all the people who are more likely to die if they get it (old, immuno-compromised) to stay locked up until we get the vaccine? How will that work?
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

∞∞∞ wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:53 am Image

Woulda coulda shoulda

It took him 2 months to come around and yet you’re still stuck on “I believe China”

You’re little different than Trump you just have different mythologies

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Containment doesn't mean it won't pop up again, just that when it does, we aren't blindly chasing after everyone else it might have infected without taking drastic measures and overwhelming the medical system(s).

Done iteratively, that's how you quell viruses.

We simply need to get to that point.

We could have months ago if people took this seriously.
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack
I am a fan of: Hodgdon
A.K.A.: Random Mailer

Post by grizzaholic »

93henfan wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:15 am
∞∞∞ wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:04 am Make it illegal to collect rent, mortgages, or any other loans for the time being, with no interest being accumulated.
Yeah, fuck that stupid idea. I'm not JP Morgan Chase. I need my tenant to pay up. Why should I be penalized? I'm providing a home for someone. I need to be paid. I'm not a charity.
What 93 said.
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

∞∞∞ wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:04 am Put the nation on lock down until the virus is contained, automatically enroll the entire population in the ACA for the time being without any out-of-pocket costs, and send out a monthly check to cover basic expenses for two or three months. Make it illegal to collect rent, mortgages, or any other loans for the time being, with no interest being accumulated.

People can still get groceries, medicine, and exercise outside as long as they're maintaining safe social distancing requirements. Decide which industries are essential (it'll still be a long list) and allow those people to work. Use the national guard and local police to enforce this.

Hard pass. I like my freedoms. :tothehand:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

∞∞∞ wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:28 am Containment doesn't mean it won't pop up again, just that when it does, we aren't blindly chasing after everyone else it might have infected without taking drastic measures and overwhelming the medical system(s).

Well, like CID said in another thread at least a month ago, the nature and freedom of our actual society makes that somewhat difficult to do. That shutdown in Wuhan didn't look like the shutdown we're seeing anywhere in America - there was literally no one on the streets for months. I see at least 50 people on a good day on my 30 minute walk during my lunch hour at the local park. And I see another 10 people when I stop by my pizza place for takeout on Friday night. And so on and so on. And I live in a middle of the road kind of suburb place. I'm sure it's different downtown in Philly and it's different out in god's country like 20 minutes north and west of me. And no one would've done this back in January before anyone had even died - heck, people aren't doing it now and it's April and we know thousands have died. This is a case where liberty and freedom are not necessarily the best attributes to have, but it's who we are.

And again, people aren't dying because the medical system is overwhelmed, at least in this country and at least so far. In everything I've read and listened to so far, and basically coming out of NYC, people aren't dying because they can't get care or beds or ventilators. They're dying, with some very few exceptions, because the virus is that severe and they're dying because they're part of an at risk health/age group. Even if we're able to do contact containment, those populations would be putting their lives at risk just to walk out the door unless we either have a vaccine or some immediate testing protocol that can positively ID someone who is carrying the virus and could pass it on. Again, most people who have it don't even know they do. How do we not lock down everyone over the age of 50 and those with compromised health over the next 12-18 months while we work on the vaccine? People will die if we don't - how do you assume they won't?
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack
I am a fan of: Hodgdon
A.K.A.: Random Mailer

Post by grizzaholic »

Trip, did you pay your rent/mortgage today? Just wondering.
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Just got an offer to play golf at Trump National tomorrow. Wondering if I can count that as exercise when I get pulled over by the cops.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

89Hen wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:00 am Just got an offer to play golf at Trump National tomorrow. Wondering if I can count that as exercise when I get pulled over by the cops.
Just make your foursome a twosome, and you should be fine. ;)
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

grizzaholic wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:55 am Trip, did you pay your rent/mortgage today? Just wondering.
Actually yes, I think my mortgage is set to withdraw on the first.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Ivytalk wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:18 am
89Hen wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:00 am Just got an offer to play golf at Trump National tomorrow. Wondering if I can count that as exercise when I get pulled over by the cops.
Just make your foursome a twosome, and you should be fine. ;)
Before we closed we went to raised cups so nobody had to reach in the cup and everyone had their own cart.
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

∞∞∞ wrote:Put the nation on lock down until the virus is contained, automatically enroll the entire population in the ACA for the time being without any out-of-pocket costs, and send out a monthly check to cover basic expenses for two or three months. Make it illegal to collect rent, mortgages, or any other loans for the time being, with no interest being accumulated.

Good God you need another country. Literally insane with your want to be controlled and dominated by incompetent people.

It's mind blowing

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

bobbythekidd wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:44 pm
bobbythekidd wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:55 pm The captain of the USS Roosevelt has requested the Navy evacuate the ship.
1. 200 US sailors aboard testing positive for Covid-19
2. En route to Guam
3. Requesting individual isolation for each person for 14 days
4. Guam is tiny and can't house all these sailors. Let alone feed them and provide individual housing of each
5. Some crew (10% will remain on board to sanitize the vessel) sacrificed.
6. This is a nuclear vessel so, further, some must be sacrificed to run and monitor the reactor
7. This scenario is the very definition of not practicing "social distancing". This is as close to nut to butt as you get without liking that kind of thing.
8. How many navies around the world are continuing to spread this
9. This is just one skipper throwing his career away. How many more don't have the balls?
Why not just stay at sea? It's a natural quarantine. Let the shit run it's course....not that complicated.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

∞∞∞ wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:28 am Containment doesn't mean it won't pop up again, just that when it does, we aren't blindly chasing after everyone else it might have infected without taking drastic measures and overwhelming the medical system(s).

bullshit. Maybe a few weeks. But "Months"? As late as 1/15 the WHO was still saying it couldn't be transmitted human-to-human. Trump closed the borders with China on 1/31 (much to the Donk apologists' chagrin, I might add)….so fuck this narrative that we could be "months" ahead of this...
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Winterborn wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:35 am
∞∞∞ wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:04 am Put the nation on lock down until the virus is contained, automatically enroll the entire population in the ACA for the time being without any out-of-pocket costs, and send out a monthly check to cover basic expenses for two or three months. Make it illegal to collect rent, mortgages, or any other loans for the time being, with no interest being accumulated.

Hard pass. I like my freedoms. :tothehand:
Doubly hard pass here. :butt: :butt:

Trip, :stupid: