Political discussions
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by CAA Flagship »

Last edited by CAA Flagship on Tue May 05, 2020 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Ivytalk »

I enjoy a good Corona with my chimichangas once in awhile.

Just keep the Red Chunks out, and we’ll be OK.

Stock market overreacted.

/thread
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

CAA Flagship wrote:I think this thing needs it's own thread.

https://nypost.com/2020/01/24/coronavir ... -hospital/

The latest update:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-chin ... SKBN1ZO0AV
A couple comments-

This virus does not appear to be very different from SARS. The difference now is twofold:

a) China’s economy has expanded bigly since SARS. 10x Chinese are traveling abroad than were doing so during SARS

b) The Chinese govt largely covered up SARS. They have been much more open about this virus. Therefore Western media is getting much more info and there is a little bit of Chicken Little going on.

The reality is that this iteration of the bird flu is moderately virulent and, at least at first glance, only moderately lethal. It will kill about 2-3% of people infected (usual suspects- elderly, children, and people with compromised immune systems) and it will infect about 1000 people per fatality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

mainejeff2 wrote:
CID1990 wrote: The reality is that this iteration of the bird flu is moderately virulent and, at least at first glance, only moderately lethal. It will kill about 2-3% of people infected (usual suspects- elderly, children, and people with compromised immune systems) and it will infect about 1000 people per fatality.

Isn't it the "snake flu"? Those people over there have to stop eating every animal they see.....at least I hope it's eating and not something else. :?

:coffee:
1) it is a SARS mutation

2) why do you hate yellow people, Mr Truman?

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

CID1990 wrote:
A couple comments-

This virus does not appear to be very different from SARS. The difference now is twofold:

a) China’s economy has expanded bigly since SARS. 10x Chinese are traveling abroad than were doing so during SARS

b) The Chinese govt largely covered up SARS. They have been much more open about this virus. Therefore Western media is getting much more info and there is a little bit of Chicken Little going on.

The reality is that this iteration of the bird flu is moderately virulent and, at least at first glance, only moderately lethal. It will kill about 2-3% of people infected (usual suspects- elderly, children, and people with compromised immune systems) and it will infect about 1000 people per fatality.

China has been/is going through a big epidemic of swine flu in their hog population and both SARS/Swine Flu affect the respiratory tract. My SWAG is that the same conditions that arose to promote their problem with swine flu probably had an effect on any body that still had a form of SARS.

Wuhan has 14 major hog farms (over 1 million hogs) and their could of easily been some cross over among workers.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Winterborn wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
A couple comments-

China has been/is going through a big epidemic of swine flu in their hog population and both SARS/Swine Flu affect the respiratory tract. My SWAG is that the same conditions that arose to promote their problem with swine flu probably had an effect on any body that still had a form of SARS.

Wuhan has 14 major hog farms (over 1 million hogs) and their could of easily been some cross over among workers.
So, if the Chinese put high tariffs on our hogs, they’re only shooting themselves in the foot.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Ivytalk wrote:
Winterborn wrote:

So, if the Chinese put high tariffs on our hogs, they’re only shooting themselves in the foot.
Estimates are they lost around 300 million of their hogs this past year. The US is either 2nd or 3rd in hog production (going off of memory here) and yes it is going to only hurt themselves. They have largely covered up the extent of the damage. Plus with this time of year (Chinese New Year) it is the time that they consume the most pork. Toss in the fact that certain areas do not buy frozen pork, as they only will buy fresh, due to the fact that consumption of frozen pork is seen as only something the poor do, they are in a bit of trouble.

And I should clarify, swine flu is different than the African Swine Fever (which affects hogs and is what China has), I got lazy and used short hand. ;)

McCracken and her colleagues now estimate that by the end of 2019, China's production of pork could be cut in half. "That's roughly 300 million to 350 million pigs lost in China, which is almost a quarter of the world's pork supply," she says. "It's a massive number."
https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/20 ... s-in-china
China’s hog herd fell by half in the first eight months of 2019 due to a devastating outbreak of African swine fever and will likely shrink by 55% by the end of the year, analysts at Rabobank said on Wednesday.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/03/african ... rcent.html
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

mainejeff2 wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
1) it is a SARS mutation

2) why do you hate yellow people, Mr Truman?

Why do you hate liberals, Mr. Fox News?
I don’t hate liberals. I think they’re cute and I want to pat them all on the head.

I don’t watch FOX even when it is available where I live (it isn’t)

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Our mainstream media wants a fucking epidemic in the worst way. They’d KILL for that story.

Like they make every snowstorm out to be the end of the world, every degree of temp change means the end of the world, every hurricane is the worst ever recorded, etc. etc. Fear sells. And they’ve become very good at selling it.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

This might work better than the one-child policy did.

Winning.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

AZGrizFan wrote:Our mainstream media wants a fucking epidemic in the worst way. They’d KILL for that story.

Like they make every snowstorm out to be the end of the world, every degree of temp change means the end of the world, every hurricane is the worst ever recorded, etc. etc. Fear sells. And they’ve become very good at selling it.
phpBB [video]
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

AZGrizFan wrote:Our mainstream media wants a fucking epidemic in the worst way. They’d KILL for that story.

Yup.

They were singing the same tune with SARS, the bird flu, west Nile virus, mad cow disease, and ebola.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

You know what else contains pandemics? Fear.

People stay indoors, wash their hands more, travel less, see doctors, etc.

Intentional or not, fear assists in stopping highly contagious diseases.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

∞∞∞ wrote:You know what else contains pandemics? Fear.

People stay indoors, wash their hands more, travel less, see doctors, etc.

Intentional or not, fear assists in stopping highly contagious diseases.
Yes, much like your precious government, I'm sure the MSM just has your best interests at heart.

Your naivety is cute. :rofl:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

A friend of mine was scheduled to take a birding trip to China in a few weeks - cancelled - all tourism has been suspended.
:thumb:
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

dbackjon wrote:A friend of mine was scheduled to take a birding trip to China in a few weeks - cancelled - all tourism has been suspended.
Yep- don’t go to China

dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

:thumb:
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

There is something to that. I have been directly involved in response to a number of events. The Amazon Venture oil spill. The Deepwater Horizon oil incident. Hurricane Katrina. Numerous other hurricanes. That weird thing in 2016 where it rained a bunch on Louisiana without a hurricane. In every case, as I watched things unfold, I felt like the media made things seem worse than they actually were.

But that doesn't mean things weren't bad. And I think believing in the "you can't believe the mainstream media" thing is more dangerous to us than the mainstream media's imperfections are.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

JohnStOnge wrote:

There is something to that. I have been directly involved in response to a number of events. The Amazon Venture oil spill. The Deepwater Horizon oil incident. Hurricane Katrina. Numerous other hurricanes. That weird thing in 2016 where it rained a bunch on Louisiana without a hurricane. In every case, as I watched things unfold, I felt like the media made things seem worse than they actually were.

But that doesn't mean things weren't bad. And I think believing in the "you can't believe the mainstream media" thing is more dangerous to us than the mainstream media's imperfections are.
At this point I don’t. They are doing everything in their power to whip the country into a panic. It’s embarrassing and dangerous.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

AZGrizFan wrote:At this point I don’t. They are doing everything in their power to whip the country into a panic. It’s embarrassing and dangerous.
:nod: Any remember bird flu? :coffee:
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

AZGrizFan wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

At this point I don’t. They are doing everything in their power to whip the country into a panic. It’s embarrassing and dangerous.
Bad news sells better than good news. :nod:

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Not sure if anyone has been following this, but basically all of the hospitals in Wuhan are swamped and the gubmint is scrambling to build a few 1000 bed hospitals just to deal with the outbreak.

The conspiracy theory with this one is that it was a leak from a bio weapons lab (or something super duper lab).
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

SDHornet wrote:Not sure if anyone has been following this, but basically all of the hospitals in Wuhan are swamped and the gubmint is scrambling to build a few 1000 bed hospitals just to deal with the outbreak.

The conspiracy theory with this one is that it was a leak from a bio weapons lab (or something super duper lab).
More fuel for that fire.

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Winterborn wrote:
SDHornet wrote:Not sure if anyone has been following this, but basically all of the hospitals in Wuhan are swamped and the gubmint is scrambling to build a few 1000 bed hospitals just to deal with the outbreak.

More fuel for that fire.

So they named their umbrella corp to be, literally, "Umbrella Corp." Brilliant. :lol: