Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by houndawg »

kalm wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:23 am
houndawg wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:06 am

:notworthy:

I went to my 50 year high school reunion in September and was a bit taken aback by some of my friends who should know better that hadn't heard of John Prine.

We saw him in Paducah Kentucky and after the show we were hanging out at the square by the Opera House after the show when he came driving by in an old Dodge K car with the back window down and the tips of a couple of fishing poles sticking out the window. A great observer of the American condition and every bit the equal of Dylan and Paul Simon. He was something like 22 years old when he wrote Angel from Montgomery. Your buddy knows his shit, you're in good hands music-wise. I have very few regtets about my path through life but if I had to do it over I wouldn't wait until I was 40 to get started playing music.

One of Guy Clark's songs that is a favorite of mine is New Cut Road, a song about the westward expansion. Bobby Bare had a hit with it some decades ago. Its an oddly structured tune with nine or ten verses and no chorus, easy to play, two chords, or in my case two notes.

Coleman Bonner was a fiddle-playin fool
he was a backwoods rounder and a breaker of mules
Coleman Bonner got a wore out bow
he's been playin two days down the new cut road

Coleman's little sister said
you better act right Coleman
Daddys gone to Louisville he'll be back tonight
he's gonna get another wagon and good pair of mules
and we're all gonna move to Texas, we're just waitin on you Coleman

Coleman's daddy he pulled up in the yard
he said pack up your lives kids its gettin too hard
Kentucky's all right but there's too many people
why just the other day I thought I saw a church steeple

Coleman said daddy don't you worry about me
I'm gonna stay here in Kentucky til the day I be
I"m gonna drink that sour mash I'm gonna race that mare
I got me a woman with fox-red hair

Y'all been moving west since the day you got married
I'm gettin off the wagon I'm too old to be carried
I'm gonna stay here in Kentucky where the bluegrass grows
I'm gonna play it all night down the new cut road

Coleman's daddy said what's it all coming to?
Young people these days are just as stubborn as mules
can't make him go, hes too old for that
its that damned old fiddle and that bowler hat

Coleman's momma sad well let the boy stay
he was raised up solid he can find his own way
As for me well honey I'm with you,
I always thought Kentucky was just passin through

Coleman's little sister she sterted in to cryin
and his daddy shook his hand for the very last time
Coleman's momma said somebody's gotta do it
there wouldn't be no Kentucky if you didn't stick to it Coleman

Coleman Bonner stood there on the porch of their cabin
and watched them all go to Texas in a covered wagon
then he pulled out his fiddle and resined up his bow
and he played a little tune called the New Cut Road
Awesome stuff, Houndy! I listened to that song a little and it will help me with my rhythm (which sucks :))
If the intro sounds funny its because it starts on the V chord - the song is in D but the intro is in A. Are you flat picking or finger picking?
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

houndawg wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:45 am
kalm wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:23 am Awesome stuff, Houndy! I listened to that song a little and it will help me with my rhythm (which sucks :))
If the intro sounds funny its because it starts on the V chord - the song is in D but the intro is in A. Are you flat picking or finger picking?
He's picking ...

Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:48 am
He's picking ...

..couldn't pick shit with the chickens if I had a tin bill
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

houndawg wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:06 am

:notworthy:

I went to my 50 year high school reunion in September and was a bit taken aback by some of my friends who should know better that hadn't heard of John Prine.

We saw him in Paducah Kentucky and after the show we were hanging out at the square by the Opera House after the show when he came driving by in an old Dodge K car with the back window down and the tips of a couple of fishing poles sticking out the window. A great observer of the American condition and every bit the equal of Dylan and Paul Simon. He was something like 22 years old when he wrote Angel from Montgomery. Your buddy knows his shit, you're in good hands music-wise. I have very few regtets about my path through life but if I had to do it over I wouldn't wait until I was 40 to get started playing music.

One of Guy Clark's songs that is a favorite of mine is New Cut Road, a song about the westward expansion. Bobby Bare had a hit with it some decades ago. Its an oddly structured tune with nine or ten verses and no chorus, easy to play, two chords, or in my case two notes.

Coleman Bonner was a fiddle-playin fool
he was a backwoods rounder and a breaker of mules
Coleman Bonner got a wore out bow
he's been playin two days down the new cut road

Coleman's little sister said
you better act right Coleman
Daddys gone to Louisville he'll be back tonight
he's gonna get another wagon and good pair of mules
and we're all gonna move to Texas, we're just waitin on you Coleman

Coleman's daddy he pulled up in the yard
he said pack up your lives kids its gettin too hard
Kentucky's all right but there's too many people
why just the other day I thought I saw a church steeple

Coleman said daddy don't you worry about me
I'm gonna stay here in Kentucky til the day I be
I"m gonna drink that sour mash I'm gonna race that mare
I got me a woman with fox-red hair

Y'all been moving west since the day you got married
I'm gettin off the wagon I'm too old to be carried
I'm gonna stay here in Kentucky where the bluegrass grows
I'm gonna play it all night down the new cut road

Coleman's daddy said what's it all coming to?
Young people these days are just as stubborn as mules
can't make him go, hes too old for that
its that damned old fiddle and that bowler hat

Coleman's momma sad well let the boy stay
he was raised up solid he can find his own way
As for me well honey I'm with you,
I always thought Kentucky was just passin through

Coleman's little sister she sterted in to cryin
and his daddy shook his hand for the very last time
Coleman's momma said somebody's gotta do it
there wouldn't be no Kentucky if you didn't stick to it Coleman

Coleman Bonner stood there on the porch of their cabin
and watched them all go to Texas in a covered wagon
then he pulled out his fiddle and resined up his bow
and he played a little tune called the New Cut Road
Awesome stuff, Houndy! I listened to that song a little and it will help me with my rhythm (which sucks :))
So did Eric Clapton's once upon a time
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

I’m just starting in on picking. Finger picking will be challenging to learn (shoot…I’m still trying to get better at strumming patterns and hitting the root first…I’m a 3 year beginner and a slow learner 😁) but I’m interested in it. I’ve just recently noticed that I can learn songs much better by slowing the fuck down and trying a little flat picking.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

kalm wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:07 pm

I’m just starting in on picking. Finger picking will be challenging to learn (shoot…I’m still trying to get better at strumming patterns and hitting the root first…I’m a 3 year beginner and a slow learner 😁) but I’m interested in it. I’ve just recently noticed that I can learn songs much better by slowing the fuck down and trying a little flat picking.
I had that relationship with the banjo back in the day and you're right about slowing down - that and repetition and having someone to play with are the mainstays. Having people to play with will improve your rythm quickly. It took me a long time learn to relax and have fun and let progress take the time it wants to. Record your self now and a year from now and you'll be amazed. You probably know already that the notes you want to pick are almost all in the chord, that was kind of an aha! to me when it as pointed out by a friend
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

And another "false-ism" goes by the wayside with those enacting the rules simply shrugging their shoulders, while those pointing out the truth, were censored. Can't believe how many low information people there were out there, who now try to lay blame at the feet of the medical establishment because they fully supported the actions. StOnge, Klam?

https://nypost.com/2024/01/10/news/fauc ... ce=twitter
Dr. Anthony Fauci confessed to lawmakers Tuesday that guidelines to keep six feet of separation — ostensibly to limit the spread of COVID-19 — “sort of just appeared” without scientific input.

Fauci, 83, revealed to the House Select Subcommittee on the Coronavirus Pandemic that the “six feet apart” recommendation championed by him and other US public health officials was “likely not based on scientific data,” according to Chairman Brad Wenstrup (R-Ohio), who is also a physician.

Schools nationwide remained closed well into the second year of the pandemic as a result of the social distancing guidelines, which were disputed by both research studies and other health officials.

“It never struck me that six feet was particularly sensical in the context of mitigation,” Dr. Ashish Jha, the dean of the Brown University School of Public Health who served as President Biden’s COVID response coordinator for 15 months, told the New York Times in March 2021.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: DELAWARE

Post by Caribbean Hen »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:48 am And another "false-ism" goes by the wayside with those enacting the rules simply shrugging their shoulders, while those pointing out the truth, were censored. Can't believe how many low information people there were out there, who now try to lay blame at the feet of the medical establishment because they fully supported the actions. StOnge, Klam?

Dr. Anthony Fauci confessed to lawmakers Tuesday that guidelines to keep six feet of separation — ostensibly to limit the spread of COVID-19 — “sort of just appeared” without scientific input.

Fauci, 83, revealed to the House Select Subcommittee on the Coronavirus Pandemic that the “six feet apart” recommendation championed by him and other US public health officials was “likely not based on scientific data,” according to Chairman Brad Wenstrup (R-Ohio), who is also a physician.

Schools nationwide remained closed well into the second year of the pandemic as a result of the social distancing guidelines, which were disputed by both research studies and other health officials.

“It never struck me that six feet was particularly sensical in the context of mitigation,” Dr. Ashish Jha, the dean of the Brown University School of Public Health who served as President Biden’s COVID response coordinator for 15 months, told the New York Times in March 2021.
Follow the science SG

One day we’ll get a real pandemic that will be serious business but COVID 19 was more like a sinister exercise

We were told the hospitals were overrun yet they were nearly empty was a big clue we were being lied too right from the beginning
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:45 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:48 am And another "false-ism" goes by the wayside with those enacting the rules simply shrugging their shoulders, while those pointing out the truth, were censored. Can't believe how many low information people there were out there, who now try to lay blame at the feet of the medical establishment because they fully supported the actions. StOnge, Klam?

Follow the science SG

One day we’ll get a real pandemic that will be serious business but COVID 19 was more like a sinister exercise

We were told the hospitals were overrun yet they were nearly empty was a big clue we were being lied too right from the beginning
You missed a lot of this thread. I got my BS in Microbiology, worked in a Ribosomal RNA lab in college, performed PCR as a bench tech and lastly, was a laboratory sales rep.

I had the perfect background for this topic and pointed out how they stopped following over 100 years of pandemic experience and ignored their own respiratory illness tracking over the last 30 years.

COVID is why I take such a hard stance against the mainstream media. I was able to quantify just how badly the science was being butchered and realized how much the media pushed absolutely incorrect narratives. The only thing I got wrong was that I thought the vaccines would last longer with what little protection they provided.

I said many times in this thread, COVID was not the virus to lose our shit over. The medical community ruined the opportunity to get everyone to believe them and I do worry about a real pandemic because the medical community won't be trusted.
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:49 pm

Follow the science SG

You missed a lot of this thread. I got my BS in Microbiology, worked in a Ribosomal RNA lab in college, performed PCR as a bench tech and lastly, was a laboratory sales rep.

I had the perfect background for this topic and pointed out how they stopped following over 100 years of pandemic experience and ignored their own respiratory illness tracking over the last 30 years.

COVID is why I take such a hard stance against the mainstream media. I was able to quantify just how badly the science was being butchered and realized how much the media pushed absolutely incorrect narratives. The only thing I got wrong was that I thought the vaccines would last longer with what little protection they provided.

I said many times in this thread, COVID was not the virus to lose our shit over. The medical community ruined the opportunity to get everyone to believe them and I do worry about a real pandemic because the medical community won't be trusted.
I’m honestly impressed!!
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:14 pm

I’m honestly impressed!!
SG's education and experience on this thread are comparable to CID's on the Ukraine and other threads but CID's is more recent.
Last edited by UNI88 on Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Follow the science SG

Millions who died disagree. As do most virologists, epidemiologists , and data analysts.

Not to mention the long term effects and all of those saved due to modern medicine and vaccines.

Saving lives has value.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

I’m honestly impressed!!
Thank you, but don't be. I don't work in the field. It was just a weird confluence of my life experiences. I'll probably never have that happen again in my life.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:03 pm

Millions who died disagree. As do most virologists, epidemiologists , and data analysts.

Not to mention the long term effects and all of those saved due to modern medicine and vaccines.

Saving lives has value.
What a bullshit cop out answer. If we would have practiced targeted protection for those most vulnerable like we always had, we wouldn't be seeing the total damage we are seeing now. Excess deaths, huge loss of learning and supply chain issues.

Sweden proves you and your "virologists, etc" didn't know what you were talking about. You and your buddies bucked over 100 years of pandemic experience.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

I’m honestly impressed!!

Isn't higher education great stuff, CH? :rofl:
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:55 pm
kalm wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:03 pm

Saving lives has value.
What a bullshit cop out answer. If we would have practiced targeted protection for those most vulnerable like we always had, we wouldn't be seeing the total damage we are seeing now. Excess deaths, huge loss of learning and supply chain issues.

Sweden proves you and your "virologists, etc" didn't know what you were talking about. You and your buddies bucked over 100 years of pandemic experience.
Must have been right, we're all still here :coffee:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

houndawg wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:07 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:55 pm

And according to Sweden’s own commissioned study they should have done more, especially earlier in the pandemic. They also have a (wait for it) high vaccination rate of 87%, and are more compliant with mitigation efforts like social distancing. IE: they trust experts and their governments and are relatively more educated.
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

houndawg wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:05 am

I’m honestly impressed!!

On resumes it is but I’m not sold that all these “Degrees” are really necessary…. It’s a sham really, people are catching on and sectors of corporate America are training talented kids with OJT ….. a job is what they really need, not mountains of debt. Guess what, these bright kids know how to think big too, the old college boy crowd are really impressed for the most part.

This is not good news for the traditional 4 year institutions of higher learning and we might eventually see schools shutting down football programs unless ESPN can keep stuffing money in these broke schools pockets

Lots of moving parts
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:18 am
houndawg wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:05 am

On resumes it is but I’m not sold that all these “Degrees” are really necessary…. It’s a sham really, people are catching on and sectors of corporate America are training talented kids with OJT ….. a job is what they really need, not mountains of debt. Guess what, these bright kids know how to think big too, the old college boy crowd are really impressed for the most part.

This is not good news for the traditional 4 year institutions of higher learning and we might eventually see schools shutting down football programs unless ESPN can keep stuffing money in these broke schools pockets

Lots of moving parts
Education is big bidniz!? Stop the presses!

Corporations should be training their talent, that isn't the universities' mission. :coffee:
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

houndawg wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:59 am
Caribbean Hen wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:18 am

Lots of moving parts

Corporations should be training their talent, that isn't the universities' mission. :coffee:
The corporations absolutely should be and the point is they are no longer waiting for the institutes of higher tuitions to be finished with em
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:08 am
houndawg wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:07 am

And according to Sweden’s own commissioned study they should have done more, especially earlier in the pandemic. They also have a (wait for it) high vaccination rate of 87%, and are more compliant with mitigation efforts like social distancing. IE: they trust experts and their governments and are relatively more educated.
Didn't matter what you did, virus was going to virus and there are plenty of countries that went all out and couldn't get to Zero COVID. Not even close.

The issue was the ignoring of pandemic studies that pointed out locking down was bad. The 6foot rule was made up we just now find out (Fauci), in addition to a singular instead of community thinking was applied to the rules (Collins).

Essentially they ignored all our common sense wisdom we had acquired through previous pandemics, to go all stupid, and now we are paying for it with excess deaths, increases in illnesses and ailments, learning loss, still sputtering economy and many other issues because the powers that be, decided they knew more than the consensus...and you were right there deriding anything that went against the narrative with pseudoscience. Your beliefs and what you pushed caused unnecessary and untold damage.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:22 pm
kalm wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:08 am

Didn't matter what you did, virus was going to virus and there are plenty of countries that went all out and couldn't get to Zero COVID. Not even close.

The issue was the ignoring of pandemic studies that pointed out locking down was bad. The 6foot rule was made up we just now find out (Fauci), in addition to a singular instead of community thinking was applied to the rules (Collins).

Essentially they ignored all our common sense wisdom we had acquired through previous pandemics, to go all stupid, and now we are paying for it with excess deaths, increases in illnesses and ailments, learning loss, still sputtering economy and many other issues because the powers that be, decided they knew more than the consensus...and you were right there deriding anything that went against the narrative with pseudoscience. Your beliefs and what you pushed caused unnecessary and untold damage.
Whooo boy…the first paragraph. :lol:

Common sense when facing a highly contagious novel virus….Reduce spread.

Your ultimate argument is whether the excess deaths are worth the freedom and who gets to make that call.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:38 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:22 pm

Your ultimate argument is whether the excess deaths are worth the freedom and who gets to make that call.
Yes it is common sense, but why didn't it work in the countries that would have made you proud for how draconian they were?

My ultimate argument is you pushed a pseudoscience narrative and now blow it off as if you are still right or were mislead.

Please stay out of future health and wellness discussions. You are woefully misinformed and dangerous.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:33 pm
kalm wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:38 pm

Yes it is common sense, but why didn't it work in the countries that would have made you proud for how draconian they were?

My ultimate argument is you pushed a pseudoscience narrative and now blow it off as if you are still right or were mislead.

Please stay out of future health and wellness discussions. You are woefully misinformed and dangerous.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:27 am
houndawg wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:59 am

The corporations absolutely should be and the point is they are no longer waiting for the institutes of higher tuitions to be finished with em
so? :?