kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:41 am
kalm wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:33 am Plus…the vaccine is working.
Oh, now it's working
Yes. And it has been.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

COVID Hospitalizations Among College Students in Counties Containing Universities Extremely Low

According to data updated through Sept. 21 on coronavirus.iowa.gov, the return of college students to campus is not
resulting in mass hospitalizations among students.

The data indicates that Story County, which contains Iowa State University, has exactly zero individuals age 18-19
currently hospitalized for covid. Just two individuals age 20-29 are currently hospitalized for covid. In fact those two
individuals make up the entirety of ALL covid hospitalizations for people in Story County under the age of 50.

In Johnson County, which contains the University of Iowa, zero individuals age 18-19 are currently hospitalized for
covid. Four individuals age 20-29 are currently hospitalized for covid.

In Black Hawk County, which contains the University of Northern Iowa, zero individuals age 18-19 are currently
hospitalized for covid. Zero individuals age 20-29 are currently hospitalized for covid. In fact, zero individuals under
the age of 40 are currently hospitalized for covid in Black Hawk County
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

HI54UNI wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:47 am COVID Hospitalizations Among College Students in Counties Containing Universities Extremely Low

According to data updated through Sept. 21 on coronavirus.iowa.gov, the return of college students to campus is not
resulting in mass hospitalizations among students.

The data indicates that Story County, which contains Iowa State University, has exactly zero individuals age 18-19
currently hospitalized for covid. Just two individuals age 20-29 are currently hospitalized for covid. In fact those two
individuals make up the entirety of ALL covid hospitalizations for people in Story County under the age of 50.

In Johnson County, which contains the University of Iowa, zero individuals age 18-19 are currently hospitalized for
covid. Four individuals age 20-29 are currently hospitalized for covid.

In Black Hawk County, which contains the University of Northern Iowa, zero individuals age 18-19 are currently
hospitalized for covid. Zero individuals age 20-29 are currently hospitalized for covid. In fact, zero individuals under
the age of 40 are currently hospitalized for covid in Black Hawk County
That’s good news. :thumb:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Funny bit, but his point of "I wonder what else they'd bitch about if it just came out today." is not a right thing. Cancel culture is much more on the left.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:58 am Funny bit, but his point of "I wonder what else they'd bitch about if it just came out today." is not a right thing. Cancel culture is much more on the left.
Liz Cheney: “Hold my beer.”
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

I love the Trader Joe's folks. I think you could literally see steam coming out of their ears at one point. It was like the folks coming in the store were clubbing baby seals.

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

89Hen wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:09 pm I love the Trader Joe's folks. I think you could literally see steam coming out of their ears at one point. It was like the folks coming in the store were clubbing baby seals.

Overpriced yuppie food.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Trader Joe's is overpriced?

At least here, it's cheaper than everything except Lidl/Aldi. Better quality than either of those two though.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:09 pm I love the Trader Joe's folks. I think you could literally see steam coming out of their ears at one point. It was like the folks coming in the store were clubbing baby seals.

Yeah! Showed them front line workers about freedom!
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Bunch of disrespectful cretins, next thing you know they'll be demanding a Christian baker make a cake for a gay wedding.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

∞∞∞ wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:39 pm Trader Joe's is overpriced?

At least here, it's cheaper than everything except Lidl/Aldi. Better quality than either of those two though.
Trader Joe's is one of the most overrated stores to ever exist. And Lidl and Aldi feel like you're shopping in 1980's Soviet Union.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

89Hen wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:59 pm

Trader Joe's is one of the most overrated stores to ever exist. And Lidl and Aldi feel like you're shopping in 1980's Soviet Union.
That’s right up Tripz’s alley, then.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

kalm wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:14 am
:lol:
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Y'all have some strong and weird opinions on grocery stores. Lidl is like a 1980s Soviet Union store? :rofl:

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

∞∞∞ wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:30 pm
Y'all have some strong and weird opinions on grocery stores. Lidl is like a 1980s Soviet Union store? :rofl:

I don't know what Lidl is and I'm not an Aldi shopper but comparing it to an 80's Soviet store is a little extreme. The Aldi's I've been to have been pretty well stocked and the lines were reasonable.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Trader Joe's is one of the most overrated stores to ever exist. n And Lidl and Aldi feel like you're shopping in 1980's Soviet Union.
:lol: :lol: I went into a Aldi's once. Holy shit. I was shocked. Had no idea that product brands like that existed. :shock:

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

I don’t think the Krout grocery stores are bad. Aldi can be hit or miss. Lidl> Aldi hands down.

And among the grocery stores of the liberal yuppie elites, Traders Joes is the worst .
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:57 pm I don't know what Lidl is and I'm not an Aldi shopper but comparing it to an 80's Soviet store is a little extreme. The Aldi's I've been to have been pretty well stocked and the lines were reasonable.
It's basically Aldi with a great bakery.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:25 pm
Sorry bro. That Kentucky CDC study got brutalized for it's assumptions and methodology. !
By who?
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

89Hen wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:58 am Funny bit, but his point of "I wonder what else they'd bitch about if it just came out today." is not a right thing. Cancel culture is much more on the left.
I don't know if that's true. I think conservatives are particularly likely to want to prevent the young from being exposed to certain things. Here's one article on that sort of thing: https://www.newsweek.com/censorship-lgb ... ols-694791 .
Could I ever be a star?

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

JohnStOnge wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:09 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:25 pm
Sorry bro. That Kentucky CDC study got brutalized for it's assumptions and methodology. !
By who?
By all the people who understand studies and statistics.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:27 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:09 pm

By who?
By all the people who understand studies and statistics.
Oh! Those guys! :lol:
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

I hadn't looked at this sort of thing for a while. Just did and what's going on is pretty dramatic.

Check out the top 15 States in terms of cumulative COVID-19 cases per million population right now:

1. Tennessee
2. North Dakota
3. Florida
4. South Carolina
5. Arkansas
6. Mississippi
7. South Dakota
8. Rhode Island
9. Alabama
10. Louisiana
11. Utah
12. Oklahoma
13. Wyoming
14. Kentucky
15. Iowa

All but one of the top 15 are "red" states. Louisiana has an asterisk because it's got a Democrat governor. But the State went for Trump by 59% to 40%.

It's not quite as "red" when it comes to cumulative deaths per million population but still red. Here's how that ranking goes:

1. Mississippi
2. New Jersey
3. Louisiana
4. New York
5. Alabama
6. Arizona
7. Massachussetts
8. Rhode Island
9. Arkansas
10. Florida
11. Georgia
12. South Dakota
13. Connecticut
14. South Carolina
15. Indiana

9 of the 15 are "red" states. Another thing: New Jersey and New York are up there but they're up there because of what happened right at the start of the epidemic in the United States. The "blue" states improved in a relative sense over time. The "red" states did not. See graphs below for the top two death rate states:

Mississippi:

New Jersey:
Could I ever be a star?

CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

JohnStOnge wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:57 am Wrong- that has not been conclusively shown at all. You cite a a CDC study out of Kentucky with 246 participants. Well, The Israeli study (they have far better data than we do) had over 673k participants, and has shown that natural immunity is 26x better than the vaccine.
https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News ... spx/312538
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 1.full.pdf
The Cleveland Clinic study (52k participants) indicated natural immunity superior to vaccinated:
https://www.news-medical.net/news/20210 ... study.aspx

Study out of Washington makes a strong case for natural immunity:
https://medicine.wustl.edu/news/good-ne ... rotection/
Very good. I misstated what the CDC study shows. It did not compare natural infection alone vs. vaccination alone in terms of protection against getting infected in the future. It compared those who had been naturally infected then got vaccinated to those who had been naturally infected and did not get vaccinated. So it was natural infection + vaccination vs. natural infection alone. And it showed natural infection + vaccinated cuts the risk as compared to natural infection alone.

The authors of the Israeli study concluded that as well. I looked up a Fact Check on the Israeli study and found that there are some concerns about it (https://www.factcheck.org/2021/09/scich ... -immunity/). I also learned from the fact check that there is at least one study that indicated a different conclusion, at least for the Pfizer vaccine. You can see it at https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 237v1.full. Here is a quote:
There was no evidence that the effectiveness of two ChAdOx1 vaccinations ≥14 days previously in preventing new PCR-positives differed from the protection afforded by previous natural infection without vaccination (heterogeneity p=0.33), whereas two BNT162b2 vaccinations afforded greater protection (p=0.04).
BNT162b2 is the Pfizer vaccine.

So the two studies have contradictory results. Neither has yet been through PEER review and publication. We'll see what happens with that.

The link on the Seattle thing brought me to the Israeli study.

The Cleveland Clinic study appears to be the outlier. All of the other ones including the CDC MMWR one indicate that being vaccinated lowers the risk regardless of whether the subject has been previously infected or not.

So, except from the Cleveland Clinic study, there is no disagreement about vaccination cutting the risk.
Judas Tittifckn Christ dude

Just because you’ve pulled back from all the threads you’ve been wrong on doesn’t mean you have to post War and Fuckin Peace in the few where you have a little juice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris