Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:58 pm
UNI88 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:50 am

Why can't we give the pseudo-progressives and pseudo-conservatives their wildest wet dreams? Neither cares about debt and the eventual run-away inflation and economic collapse that it will bring.

What's the difference between wanting to cut taxes without spending cuts and wanting to increase spending beyond the ability of taxes to cover? You think one is ok but the other isn't? They're both fiscally irresponsible and will eventually bite us in the ass.

And I've never lost my religion over fiscal responsibility and debt concerns.
Well as a pseudo centrist, I’m for both raising taxes AND cutting spending.

But now is not the time to fight for austerity. People needed help 5 months ago.

BTW, France’s latest surge is already cresting after just a few weeks. Meanwhile...

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-ne ... story.html
Majority of those younger folks packing the bars voted for Biden, or at least according to JSO they djd.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:55 pm Well as a pseudo centrist, I’m for both raising taxes AND cutting spending.
Actually, doesn't that make you the opposite of a centrist? You're a double extremist. :lol:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

89Hen wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:09 am
BDKJMU wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:55 pm Well as a pseudo centrist, I’m for both raising taxes AND cutting spending.
Actually, doesn't that make you the opposite of a centrist? You're a double extremist. :lol:
How does my name end up when quoting Kalm :? :suspicious:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Touche!

:D
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:55 pm
kalm wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:58 pm

Well as a pseudo centrist, I’m for both raising taxes AND cutting spending.

But now is not the time to fight for austerity. People needed help 5 months ago.

BTW, France’s latest surge is already cresting after just a few weeks. Meanwhile...

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-ne ... story.html
Majority of those younger folks packing the bars voted for Biden, or at least according to JSO they djd.
Probably. Stupidity transcends ideology.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:15 am

How does my name end up when quoting Kalm :? :suspicious:
User error? :oops:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

It would appear that many of the surges are abating already. Many countries across Europe and many states are now seeing downward trends again.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:34 pm It would appear that many of the surges are abating already. Many countries across Europe and many states are now seeing downward trends again.
Minnesota just had it's highest total deaths in a day, setting the record for the 3rd time this week. 7 day average is the highest it's every been. The upper Midwest is showing peak 7 day averages for deaths in most states.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:52 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:34 pm It would appear that many of the surges are abating already. Many countries across Europe and many states are now seeing downward trends again.
Minnesota just had it's highest total deaths in a day, setting the record for the 3rd time this week. 7 day average is the highest it's every been. The upper Midwest is showing peak 7 day averages for deaths in most states.
Bed rationing in Spokane now. A friend’s grandpa is the only resident of his care center that has not tested positive. They sent two to an ICU yesterday who were returned due to lack of beds.
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

Supreme Court issues a stay against New York prohibitions on houses of worship, as excess when compared to restrictions on supermarkets, liquor stores and other secular institutions...
In a red zone, while a synagogue or church may not admit more than 10 persons, businesses categorized as “essential” may admit as many people as they wish. And the list of “essential” businesses includes things such as acupuncture facilities, camp grounds, garages, as well as many whose services are not limited to those that can be regarded as es- sential, such as all plants manufacturing chemicals and mi- croelectronics and all transportation facilities. See New York State, Empire State Development, Guidance for De- termining Whether a Business Enterprise is Subject to a Workforce Reduction Under Recent Executive Orders, https://esd.ny.gov/guidance-executive-order-2026. The dis- parate treatment is even more striking in an orange zone. While attendance at houses of worship is limited to 25 per- sons, even non-essential businesses may decide for them- selves how many persons to admit.
https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/2 ... 7_4g15.pdf

Justice Gorsuch was fairly harsh in his portion of the 5-4 ruling...

New York’s Governor has asserted the power to assign different color codes to different parts of the State and govern each by ex- ecutive decree. In “red zones,” houses of worship are all but closed—limited to a maximum of 10 people. In the Ortho- dox Jewish community that limit might operate to exclude all women, considering 10 men are necessary to establish a minyan, or a quorum. In “orange zones,” it’s not much dif- ferent. Churches and synagogues are limited to a maxi- mum of 25 people. These restrictions apply even to the larg- est cathedrals and synagogues, which ordinarily hold hundreds. And the restrictions apply no matter the precau- tions taken, including social distancing, wearing masks, leaving doors and windows open, forgoing singing, and dis- infecting spaces between services

At the same time, the Governor has chosen to impose no capacity restrictions on certain businesses he considers “es- sential.” And it turns out the businesses the Governor con- siders essential include hardware stores, acupuncturists, and liquor stores. Bicycle repair shops, certain signage companies, accountants, lawyers, and insurance agents are all essential too. So, at least according to the Governor, it may be unsafe to go to church, but it is always fine to pick up another bottle of wine, shop for a new bike, or spend the afternoon exploring your distal points and meridians. Who knew public health would so perfectly align with secular convenience?
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Col Hogan wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:27 am Supreme Court issues a stay against New York prohibitions on houses of worship, as excess when compared to restrictions on supermarkets, liquor stores and other secular institutions...
In a red zone, while a synagogue or church may not admit more than 10 persons, businesses categorized as “essential” may admit as many people as they wish. And the list of “essential” businesses includes things such as acupuncture facilities, camp grounds, garages, as well as many whose services are not limited to those that can be regarded as es- sential, such as all plants manufacturing chemicals and mi- croelectronics and all transportation facilities. See New York State, Empire State Development, Guidance for De- termining Whether a Business Enterprise is Subject to a Workforce Reduction Under Recent Executive Orders, https://esd.ny.gov/guidance-executive-order-2026. The dis- parate treatment is even more striking in an orange zone. While attendance at houses of worship is limited to 25 per- sons, even non-essential businesses may decide for them- selves how many persons to admit.
https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/2 ... 7_4g15.pdf

Justice Gorsuch was fairly harsh in his portion of the 5-4 ruling...
New York’s Governor has asserted the power to assign different color codes to different parts of the State and govern each by ex- ecutive decree. In “red zones,” houses of worship are all but closed—limited to a maximum of 10 people. In the Ortho- dox Jewish community that limit might operate to exclude all women, considering 10 men are necessary to establish a minyan, or a quorum. In “orange zones,” it’s not much dif- ferent. Churches and synagogues are limited to a maxi- mum of 25 people. These restrictions apply even to the larg- est cathedrals and synagogues, which ordinarily hold hundreds. And the restrictions apply no matter the precau- tions taken, including social distancing, wearing masks, leaving doors and windows open, forgoing singing, and dis- infecting spaces between services

At the same time, the Governor has chosen to impose no capacity restrictions on certain businesses he considers “es- sential.” And it turns out the businesses the Governor con- siders essential include hardware stores, acupuncturists, and liquor stores. Bicycle repair shops, certain signage companies, accountants, lawyers, and insurance agents are all essential too. So, at least according to the Governor, it may be unsafe to go to church, but it is always fine to pick up another bottle of wine, shop for a new bike, or spend the afternoon exploring your distal points and meridians. Who knew public health would so perfectly align with secular convenience?
Oregon Governor Brown is doing something similar ...
  • Indoor recreation, fitness, and entertainment establishments, including gyms, will remain closed, however, outdoor recreation, fitness, and entertainment activities, including outdoor gym activities, will be allowed, with a maximum limit of 50 people outdoors.
  • Retail stores, grocery stores, pharmacies, and indoor and outdoor shopping centers and malls will be limited to a maximum of 50% of capacity, with curbside pick-up encouraged.
  • Faith institutions, funeral homes, mortuaries, and cemeteries will be limited to a maximum of 25% of capacity or 100 people indoors (whichever is smaller), or 150 people outdoors.
Why can retail locations be at 50% capacity with no maximum but indoor faith institutions are limited to 25% and a maximum of 100 people? If it's because people in retail locations are moving and leaving while people in faith institutions are sitting/standing then that should be explained. Why doesn't that apply to recreation, fitness and entertainment establishments?

The apparent arbitrary nature of the restrictions is a big part of the problem.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:58 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:52 pm

Bed rationing in Spokane now. A friend’s grandpa is the only resident of his care center that has not tested positive. They sent two to an ICU yesterday who were returned due to lack of beds.
Thank you, you two. I said MANY, not all.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Oregon, where rioting, coke, meth, and heroin are now ok, but a Thanksgiving gathering means 30 days in jail and $1250 in fines, and neighbors are being asked to snitch on neighbors...
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news ... ovid-rules
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Numerous NY state Sheriffs have said they won't enforce Cuomo's anti Thanksgiving orders. Cuomo calls them dictators.
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/juliorosa ... s-n2580554
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Minnesota has another day of record deaths yesterday.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:16 pm
kalm wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:58 am

Thank you, you two. I said MANY, not all.
Another friend’s MiL in rural Illinois is in a similar situation.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

The gist of the article: There has been no appreciable increase in deaths due to COVID. Same deaths are happening, now we just label them as a COVID death instead.

Everything is better with SeattleGriz
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Good article explaining the problem of false positives and how the narrative of "new cases" keeps getting propogated, even if the rate decreases.

https://sebastianrushworth.com/2020/11/ ... vid-tests/
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why PCR positive cases are a very poor indicator of how prevalent covid is in the population, and why we should instead be basing decisions on the rates of hospitalization, ICU admission, and death. If we just look at the PCR tests, we will continue to believe that the disease is widespread in the population indefinitely, even as it becomes less and less common in reality.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:41 am Minnesota has another day of record deaths yesterday.
Well let’s be honest, with what we’ve seen out of Minnesota this year, they could stand to lose a few.... :coffee: :coffee:

edit: The real answer is because it’s two days worth of deaths. :nod: :nod: :nod:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:23 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:41 am Minnesota has another day of record deaths yesterday.
Well let’s be honest, with what we’ve seen out of Minnesota this year, they could stand to lose a few.... :coffee: :coffee:

edit: The real answer is because it’s two days worth of deaths. :nod: :nod: :nod:
High during first wave was around 1/3 of that.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:07 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:23 pm

They really are an anomaly at this point. Several states have already peaked again, in both cases and deaths, and curves are trending downward.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:15 pm

They really are an anomaly at this point. Several states have already peaked again, in both cases and deaths, and curves are trending downward.
I understand that, Covid worked it's way from the coasts to the center of the country. Texas, California etc peaked in August. Upper Midwest is peaking now.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

It does seem to be losing some steam in places but not in WA.

Hope that continues but it could be due to the holiday and in a few weeks, also due to the holiday.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:18 pm

It does seem to be losing some steam in places but not in WA.

Hope that continues but it could be due to the holiday and in a few weeks, also due to the holiday.
As I was looking at the numbers, I thought the same thing....there were states that didn’t report on Thursday, which caused some 7-day curves to shift, so we shall see if it continues or was a downward blip because of the holiday. On the surface though, it looks good in several areas....
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Portland Reverend reacts to Governor Brown's new COVID-19 guidance, says he won't hold in-person service
"We worship a God of life, and God's given us science and health experts; we have them in our congregation," Knutson said. "I sat down with a group in February and talked about the steps we would take to keep people safe and well through this."
A faith leader who cares for their congregation.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm