Political discussions
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by SeattleGriz »

Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:16 pm Local High School went back to hybrid learning. 200 students quarrentined per covid contract tracing.
What is that Governor doing wrong?
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:18 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:17 pm

if cooperation worked so well, the world would run on communism. :coffee:
Cooperation could mean anything from two people to all 6 billion people in the world. Kalmie is very expansive with his definition so not to technically be tied down to any particular view or position. Why he's not already the mayor of the Palouse is beyond me.
I’m not sure what makes you so uneasy about my comment to Z or what you think it could be possibly tied down with. It’s fairly simple and true. I brought it up here because we are (hopefully) transitioning out of a period of peak selfishness via a crisis that is best navigated through a sense of community and cooperation. The same forces which enabled humans (for better and for worse) to move from killing small critters, to bigger game and efficiency in hunting (more protein), requiring larger groups leading to agrarian cultures also enable us to minimize the loss and duration of pandemics.

The pitfalls of communism notwithstanding, Z’s and your replies suggest the pendulum of ego still needs to swing back closer to the middle.

But I know...cooperation and community...baaaaaadd.

Ego driven “bootstraps”...good!

:rofl:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:02 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:16 pm Local High School went back to hybrid learning. 200 students quarrentined per covid contract tracing.
Located the state next to Canada where one of the new variants is flourishing...duh.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:29 pm
GannonFan wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:17 pm

Well, it's the same type of vaccine as the Astra-Zeneca one, so it's reasonable to think there could be blood clots. But like I said, the supposed danger of dying from the virus is so much higher than the danger of dying from the vaccine that it doesn't really seem to be prudent to stop the vaccine. That's like saying we shouldn't spray water on a house fire because the person inside could drown. Of course, they'll still just burn, but I guess at least you didn't do the thing that caused their death, or something like that. :suspicious:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Great analogy.

I'm still not getting the vaccine. :coffee: :coffee:
Why?
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

It's not up to the Governor, it's up to the school district.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:47 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:29 pm

Great analogy.

I'm still not getting the vaccine. :coffee: :coffee:
Why?
My body, my choice. :coffee: :coffee:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:44 am
GannonFan wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:18 pm

Cooperation could mean anything from two people to all 6 billion people in the world. Kalmie is very expansive with his definition so not to technically be tied down to any particular view or position. Why he's not already the mayor of the Palouse is beyond me.
I’m not sure what makes you so uneasy about my comment to Z or what you think it could be possibly tied down with. It’s fairly simple and true. I brought it up here because we are (hopefully) transitioning out of a period of peak selfishness via a crisis that is best navigated through a sense of community and cooperation. The same forces which enabled humans (for better and for worse) to move from killing small critters, to bigger game and efficiency in hunting (more protein), requiring larger groups leading to agrarian cultures also enable us to minimize the loss and duration of pandemics.

The pitfalls of communism notwithstanding, Z’s and your replies suggest the pendulum of ego still needs to swing back closer to the middle.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

You are equating the 2-5% of vocal antimaskers to a "period of peak selfishness"....everywhere I go, STILL, 95% of people are wearing masks, even if they don't have to--and that's in big, bad, independent-minded Texas. 95% of people will literally go to the other side of the street rather than pass within six feet of you. The vast majority of people wash their hands, wash down their restaurant tables and chairs, and use hand sanitizer almost obsessively. This "period of peak selfishness" is literally a boogeyman made up to attempt to guilt the few remaining people who were ardent anti-followers. It's not a fucking epidemic of anti-maskers, in fact, quite the opposite.

None of that, though, changes the fact that if I were a small business owner and I needed to be open to provide for my family, I'd have been open. And probably arrested at some point. See, it's cooperation: if you don't feel safe coming into my store, DON'T COME IN! It's really not complicated, but those who DO feel safe are welcome to come in, spend their money, and help me put food on my family's table. THAT is "cooperation". FORCING me to shut down, lock down and close down permanently and driving me and my employees to the unemployment line and government dependence is NOT "cooperation". That's fascism.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:32 am
kalm wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:44 am

You are equating the 2-5% of vocal antimaskers to a "period of peak selfishness"....everywhere I go, STILL, 95% of people are wearing masks, even if they don't have to--and that's in big, bad, independent-minded Texas. 95% of people will literally go to the other side of the street rather than pass within six feet of you. The vast majority of people wash their hands, wash down their restaurant tables and chairs, and use hand sanitizer almost obsessively. This "period of peak selfishness" is literally a boogeyman made up to attempt to guilt the few remaining people who were ardent anti-followers. It's not a fucking epidemic of anti-maskers, in fact, quite the opposite.

None of that, though, changes the fact that if I were a small business owner and I needed to be open to provide for my family, I'd have been open. And probably arrested at some point. See, it's cooperation: if you don't feel safe coming into my store, DON'T COME IN! It's really not complicated, but those who DO feel safe are welcome to come in, spend their money, and help me put food on my family's table. THAT is "cooperation". FORCING me to shut down, lock down and close down permanently and driving me and my employees to the unemployment line and government dependence is NOT "cooperation". That's fascism.
No. I literally didn’t equate any of what I said to anti-mashers. And this process didn’t start in 2020. Triggered much? :lol:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Meanwhile in the UK...

Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

I thought we were all about complying with police. They're lucky they weren't summarily executed.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

SDHornet wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:15 am Meanwhile in the UK...

Skjellyfetti wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:19 am I thought we were all about complying with police. They're lucky they weren't summarily executed.
With a baton?

Who pays for the hotel room, room service, etc. during mandatory quarantine in the UK?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:26 am
kalm wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:47 am

Why?
Oh. So you’re making a political statement. Ha! Showed them!
Last edited by kalm on Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:19 am I thought we were all about complying with police. They're lucky they weren't summarily executed.
Not sure if the China virus protocols are "laws" in the UK, but they aren't here so why/how would LEO's be enforcing them?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:04 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:32 am

No. I literally didn’t equate any of what I said to anti-mashers. And this process didn’t start in 2020. Triggered much? :lol:
well, you suggested it was about ego, and your comment about "cooperation" certainly could be construed to mean complying with the "mandates" that were established (science be damned). I was just attempting to explain otherwise. More about survival. :nod: :thumb:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:09 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:26 am

Oh. So you’re making a political statement. Ha! Showed them!
Actually, it's a personal choice. One I wasn't allowed to have for 23 years. :ohno: :ohno: :ohno:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:21 am

With a baton?

Who pays for the hotel room, room service, etc. during mandatory quarantine in the UK?
we're headed in that direction....it's a slippery slope. :ohno: :ohno: :ohno:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

With a baton?

Travelers coming into the UK from Red Listed countries pay 1750 pounds for their quarantine.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:24 pm
With a baton?

Travelers coming into the UK from Red Listed countries pay 1750 pounds for their quarantine.
So this clown paid 1,750 quid for a hotel room and food and didn't use it?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

SDHornet wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:59 pm
Cases are down since they removed the restrictions, but AZ says 90% of the people are still wearing masks.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:30 pm
SDHornet wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:59 pm
Cases are down since they removed the restrictions, but AZ says 90% of the people are still wearing masks.
Because 90% of businesses (and ALL big box stores except Walmart) still require them. I'm finding and frequenting those who do not. :nod: :nod: :nod:
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:58 am

It's not up to the Governor, it's up to the school district.
The Governor is obviously driving case increases with their actions. The schools are simply responding to the Governor's actions.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:46 am

Located the state next to Canada where one of the new variants is flourishing...duh.
My bad. Fucking Fauci.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

I have no issue with that if I heard what was going on correctly. They have a law about quarantine; which is totally reasonable. The guy violated the law. He showed total disregard for people in the society around him by doing so. It's not an "it only affects me" situation.

What gets me is that most of the people in this country support seat belt laws when, realistically, the only person somebody who doesn't wear a seat belt puts at risk is themselves. Yet there is the BIG issue with having laws trying to control the spread of a contagious disease where the person who violates the law has potential for sickening and maybe even killing other people.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:44 pm
kalm wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:46 am

My bad. Fucking Fauci.

Canadian cases up about 150% in past month. Deaths are up.....wait for it........20%. :coffee: