SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: Joe Biden gaffe and verbal bungles watch

Post by SDHornet »

CAA Flagship wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:10 pm
UNI88 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:54 am

Yes the health/safety issues need to be addressed first but can you go too far in addressing them? What are the ramifications if you do? Is Bernie someone whose disdain for the private sector would make him more likely to go too far?

I've been clear that I don't like Bernie but I do like and respect the fact that he hasn't gone after Biden during the primary. He wants to stay on message and not go negative and that shows class and integrity.
This guy ^^^ gets it.

I'm not picking on Bernie only. He's just an example. Anyone who leans too far to one side or the other would not be good at making split-second decisions today that will affect the country tomorrow, next week, next month, and so on.

Trump would be someone that leans toward the economic side. But fortunately there were a lot of closure decisions that were made by others. And he has not challenged any. This kept him in the middle thus far.
:lol: @ anyone thinking Bernie would have done a good job in this. He's managed nothing in his whole life but suddenly he would have showed up and done a good job with no track record to suggest otherwise? :? :lol:

I think he would have been very heavy handed in this and over extended the Fed response/mandates in how states and local gov are to respond. But we'll never know, thank God.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:09 pm
UNI88 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:54 am

Yes the health/safety issues need to be addressed first but can you go too far in addressing them? What are the ramifications if you do? Is Bernie someone whose disdain for the private sector would make him more likely to go too far?

I've been clear that I don't like Bernie but I do like and respect the fact that he hasn't gone after Biden during the primary. He wants to stay on message and not go negative and that shows class and integrity.
Fair enough. Too far depends on your health and tolerance for economic downturns.

It’s all a risk. It’s a pickle.
Law of diminishing returns. There is a point where the response could be worse than the virus. We could go to such extremes to save more lives that we completely trash the economy and the resulting loss of jobs, money and access to healthcare could put more people at risk than we were saving from the virus itself.

Like Flaggy is saying, it's a balancing act.

It's cold but leaders need to be able to make difficult decisions.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:06 pm
kalm wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:09 pm

Fair enough. Too far depends on your health and tolerance for economic downturns.

It’s all a risk. It’s a pickle.
Law of diminishing returns. There is a point where the response could be worse than the virus. We could go to such extremes to save more lives that we completely trash the economy and the resulting loss of jobs, money and access to healthcare could put more people at risk than we were saving from the virus itself.

So what’s your tolerance level for loss of life and risk of 2nd wave spread contributing to an extended depression?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

SDHornet wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:46 pm
CAA Flagship wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:10 pm
This guy ^^^ gets it.

I'm not picking on Bernie only. He's just an example. Anyone who leans too far to one side or the other would not be good at making split-second decisions today that will affect the country tomorrow, next week, next month, and so on.

Trump would be someone that leans toward the economic side. But fortunately there were a lot of closure decisions that were made by others. And he has not challenged any. This kept him in the middle thus far.
:lol: @ anyone thinking Bernie would have done a good job in this. He's managed nothing in his whole life but suddenly he would have showed up and done a good job with no track record to suggest otherwise? :? :lol:

I think he would have been very heavy handed in this and over extended the Fed response/mandates in how states and local gov are to respond. But we'll never know, thank God.
And Trump until 3 years ago has never managed a republic of states which rely upon a mixed economy. Few have. Do you think he’s learning and improving?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:43 pm

So what’s your tolerance level for loss of life and risk of 2nd wave spread contributing to an extended depression?
I'm not disparaging the seriousness of this and it's not about my tolerance for the loss of life. What I am saying is that there is a point where the effort required to save one more life will have a greater cost than the life that is saved. That cost isn't just financial because the longer the economic downturn lasts and the more severe it is, the more people will lose their source of income and will not be as able to afford food, housing and/or medicine. Those people will be at risk of dying of non-coronavirus causes. That reality needs to be a part of the models that they are developing and using when estimating the impact of the virus and how best to respond to it.

I do not have a problem with taking the steps we've taken so far. I think the idea of this being over by Easter is ridiculous. I also think that at some point we focus our efforts on quarantining those most at risk rather than further restricting the activities of those who are less at risk.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

kalm wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:46 pm
SDHornet wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:46 pm

And Trump until 3 years ago has never managed a republic of states which rely upon a mixed economy. Few have. Do you think he’s learning and improving?
Considering he ran some businesses, that's more experience running something that Bernie ever had. I think he's been steady throughout, for better or for worse. Regardless, the end results are there to garner my vote this November.

Oh and:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:15 pm

I'm not disparaging the seriousness of this and it's not about my tolerance for the loss of life. What I am saying is that there is a point where the effort required to save one more life will have a greater cost than the life that is saved. That cost isn't just financial because the longer the economic downturn lasts and the more severe it is, the more people will lose their source of income and will not be as able to afford food, housing and/or medicine. Those people will be at risk of dying of non-coronavirus causes. That reality needs to be a part of the models that they are developing and using when estimating the impact of the virus and how best to respond to it.

I do not have a problem with taking the steps we've taken so far. I think the idea of this being over by Easter is ridiculous. I also think that at some point we focus our efforts on quarantining those most at risk rather than further restricting the activities of those who are less at risk.
Excellent points, and that is what's lost in all the people shouting down the idea of getting people back to work.

Oh and the irony of pro abortion people squirming about making decisions that may result in some old/unhealthy people dying is :rofl:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Careful 88, you just made Gil's hit list.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:13 pm

Careful 88, you just made Gil's hit list.
He makes pretty good sense.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Today Biden said he became a professor at UPENN when he left the Senate. :suspicious: He left the Senate 2009 to become Vice President. So he was a professor teaching classes at at UPENN in Philly at the same time as being VP in DC. :suspicious: Wow, who knew... :lol:
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
mainejeff
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Post by mainejeff »

At least Biden hasn't told anyone to take drugs that can kill you.
Go Black Bears!
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Today:

:lol:
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Pwns wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:58 am
I have a Libertarian FB friend who posts two or three mythical Biden statements a day. Pure gold! Here’s a short sample:

“I’m here to talk about the Budweiser poops. Grandma said that frogs ain’t gonna change the tire on the ostrich. She was a wise guy in the Mexican army. Medications that say anal bleeding are great for skateboarding a walrus. C’mon, man, we all did it! I want to give a shut up love to CAA Flagship...we had malaria together in the attic circle. Flaggy used to make doilies from spider webs. Why is the sky blue? Because the crickets like Bach. Before I leave a mess on the curio cabinet, I gotta say...Hey, man! I’m the Lizard King!” :rofl:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Zero. As in, Zero tolerance. This shit's gone on long enough and done enough economic damage already.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Pwns wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:58 am
:suspicious: He needs someone to translate WTF he is trying to say, because I have no idea...

If I was a donk, I'd be calling for whoever his campaign manager is to be fired ASAP...
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

SDHornet wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:51 pm
kalm wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:46 pm

Considering he ran some businesses, that's more experience running something that Bernie ever had. I think he's been steady throughout, for better or for worse. Regardless, the end results are there to garner my vote this November.

Oh and:
He's up in the people who have never seen him speak. Doesn't take a genius to see he doesn't talk like a politician and you can get a good feel for where he stands.

All the blather of "all lies, all the time" is being exposed as the whiny talk it is.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
mainejeff
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Post by mainejeff »

Are you guys trying to convince Democrats to vote for Trump?
Go Black Bears!
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

SDHornet wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:51 pm
Oh and:
I know this will shock most of you, but dback is in the 38%.
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Pwns wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:54 am
Wow. :dunce: Trump doesn't have to sign each 1. :rofl:
He obviously didn't watch the press conference from yesterday. Someone ought to explain to Biden that most people aren't having a check mailed, and today we have this thing called direct deposit.
-If you filed taxes in 2018 or 2019, or you don't file taxes but do get Social Security payments, you don't have to do anything to get a payment.
-If you don't file taxes and don't get Social Security, the IRS has mentioned it will set up a "simple web portal" to submit your information.

The above covers the overwhelming majority of Americans. There will be a small fraction getting checks or debit cards. That will take awhile. They can't just mail checks out willy nilly to people they have no info on.
https://www.businessinsider.com/persona ... ers-2020-4
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

Pwns wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:54 am
That’s worse than explaining bar codes to GHW Bush. :lol:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Yesterday:

:suspicious:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

He's the Energizer bunny.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter