Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Re: Donald Trump gaffe and verbal bungles watch

Post by andy7171 »

∞∞∞ wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:23 am
BDKJMU wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:32 am
Yeah it says the Rep Party in WY isn’t going to elect a donk masquerading as a conk.
Nah. GQP has shifted so far to the right at this point that they're a legit threat to our democracy.

Dems have their progressive wing, but for the most part it's a center-left if not a center party (or even center-right at times). They have internal struggles, debates, openly question each other, etc. I may disagree with many of their policies, but there's no test of loyalty.

The GQP is loyal to Trumpism only, not the nation. Yesterday Trump told people the Arizona audit shows he won and they cheered. The first thing about being in a cult is you don't think you're in one and I think Carl Sagan sums it up perfectly:

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: if we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It’s simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back."

Look at JSO. I remember having healthy liberal-conservative debates with him for 10+ years now. Dude hasn't changed one bit, yet some of you have become so enamored with Trumpism that JSO - one of the most conservative of conservatives on this site - is now considered a donk because he calls out Trump's dumbassery and authoritarianism. But yeah, people like JSO are donks masquerading around. :roll:
If the left is so moderate, why are they stuggling to reign in fellow D's to support their budget and debt limit extension>
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

kalm wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:29 am

That says more about the Republican Party than Liz Cheney or Bush.
Yeah it says the Rep Party in WY isn’t going to elect a donk masquerading as a conk.
We've been through this. Just because she does bend the kneel to Trump, don't make her a democrat.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

∞∞∞ wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:23 am Nah. GQP has shifted so far to the right at this point that they're a legit threat to our democracy.
Yours maybe, but not ours. :coffee:

Are you hoping if you say enough times it will become true?
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Nah. GQP has shifted so far to the right at this point that they're a legit threat to our democracy.

Dems have their progressive wing, but for the most part it's a center-left if not a center party (or even center-right at times). They have internal struggles, debates, openly question each other, etc. I may disagree with many of their policies, but there's no test of loyalty.

The GQP is loyal to Trumpism only, not the nation. Yesterday Trump told people the Arizona audit shows he won and they cheered. The first thing about being in a cult is you don't think you're in one and I think Carl Sagan sums it up perfectly:

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: if we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It’s simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back."

Look at JSO. I remember having healthy liberal-conservative debates with him for 10+ years now. Dude hasn't changed one bit, yet some of you have become so enamored with Trumpism that JSO - one of the most conservative of conservatives on this site - is now considered a donk because he calls out Trump's dumbassery and authoritarianism. At this point I'm waiting for the suicides when Trump finally croaks.
There's nothing center-left about the Democratic Party.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Look at JSO. I remember having healthy liberal-conservative debates with him for 10+ years now. Dude hasn't changed one bit, yet some of you have become so enamored with Trumpism that JSO - one of the most conservative of conservatives on this site - is now considered a donk because he calls out Trump's dumbassery and authoritarianism. At this point I'm waiting for the suicides when Trump finally croaks.
Ibanez, Ganny and I call out "Trump's dumbassery and authoritarianism" but we're also rational enough to give Trump some credit for the good things that happened during his administration. JSO gets pilloried because his irrational hatred for Trump prevents him from doing that.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:51 pm

Ibanez, Ganny and I call out "Trump's dumbassery and authoritarianism" but we're also rational enough to give Trump some credit for the good things that happened during his administration. JSO gets pilloried because his irrational hatred for Trump prevents him from doing that.
Yup. There was some decent criminal justice reform under Trump and i'm glad someone finally renegotiated NAFTA. Honestly - trade bills should be renewed once a decade at the least.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Wrong. Its not the GOP that has shifted right over the last 20-30 years. They’ve more or less stayed the same. If amything, at least on some social issues, the GOP has shifted a little left.

Its the donks that have shifted left. Look at the all the social issues they’ve shifted left, or flipped flopped on. Gay marriage, gays in the military, trannies in the military, men can menstruate and have babies, 50 pronouns, drug legalization, cancel culture , wokeism, openly support a self described Marxist organization, hatred of straight, white, christian males, global cooling to global warming to climate change to green new deal, have gone from pro immigration enforcement to open borders. Back in the 90s many prominent donks were pro border enforcement. They would call illegal immigrants illegal immigrants.

Go compare the donk platform of the 90s to now. Sone of the fiscal stances are similar, still were anti 2A, but they have shifted way left on MANY issues.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:57 pm
UNI88 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:51 pm

Yup. There was some decent criminal justice reform under Trump and i'm glad someone finally renegotiated NAFTA. Honestly - trade bills should be renewed once a decade at the least.
Domestic
1.Judicial appointments (3 SCOTUS judges + close 300 others
2.Tax cuts for 2/3 of taxpayers
3.Getting tougher on Illegal Immigration
4.Unemployment before the China Virus.
5.Stock Market 57% (would have been higher if not for China Virus)
6.Ending Obamacare mandate
7.Deregulation
8.Aprroving Keystone and Dakota Access pipelines
9.American Energy Independence- net exporter
10.VA Reform/Greatly expanded what had been a limited, temporary, VA Choice Program.
11.Criminal Justice Reform
12.Space Force
13.Operation Warp Speed

Foreign policy:
1.Renegotiating NAFTA (United States–Mexico–Canada Agreement
2.Pulling out of Trans Pacific Partnership
3.Getting tough on China. A trade war is bad, but with China:
-we have a massive trade deficit.
-China puts tarriffs on US goods.
-They manipulate their currency.
-They committ massive state sponsored economic espionage.
4.Nixing the terrible Iran Deal
-Didn’t allow for unannounced, unfettered inspections
-Unfroze 150 billion in Iranian assets
-1.7 billion direct cash to Iran
5.Pulling out of the Paris Climate deal.
-Not a treaty
-Didn’t hold China & India to same standards.
-Would cost our economy trillions with marginal benefit in terms of stopping any human caused global warming
6.Getting deadbeat NATO countries to to pay more.
7.Pulling out of Syria.
8.Opening dialogue with North Korea.
9.Middle East Peace deal (Nobel Peace Prize nomination)
10.Balkans peace deal. (Nobel Peace Prize nomination).
11.Al Baghdadi killed- founder ISIS
12.Killed Soleimani
13.US Embassy moved to Jerusalem
14.No New Wars- 1st in 40 years since Carter
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:25 pm
Wrong. Its not the GOP that has shifted right over the last 20-30 years. They’ve more or less stayed the same. If amything, at least on some social issues, the GOP has shifted a little left.

Its the donks that have shifted left. Look at the all the social issues they’ve shifted left, or flipped flopped on. Gay marriage, gays in the military, trannies in the military, men can menstruate and have babies, 50 pronouns, drug legalization, cancel culture , wokeism, openly support a self described Marxist organization, hatred of straight, white, christian males, global cooling to global warming to climate change to green new deal, have gone from pro immigration enforcement to open borders. Back in the 90s many prominent donks were pro border enforcement. They would call illegal immigrants illegal immigrants.

Go compare the donk platform of the 90s to now. Sone of the fiscal stances are similar, still were anti 2A, but they have shifted way left on MANY issues.
The GQP may have shifted left on social issues but the rest of the country has shifted even more. So comparatively the GQP has moved right on social issues. Fiscally, the GQP has fallen completely off of the conservative bus and definitely shifted left.

The GQP is no longer a conservative party but is now a populist party.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:03 pm

The GQP may have shifted left on social issues but the rest of the country has shifted even more. So comparatively the GQP has moved right on social issues. Fiscally, the GQP has fallen completely off of the conservative bus and definitely shifted left.

That’s a fair assessment.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

That's a good assessment.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

The GOP might be sitting further right on the spectrum, but they haven’t ‘moved’ right at all.

If one kept their stance the same over 20-30 years, and the spectrum moved, they may be sitting in a different place on the speectrum, but they haven’t moved, the spectrum did.
Last edited by BDKJMU on Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

BDKJMU wrote:
UNI88 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:03 pm The GQP may have shifted left on social issues but the rest of the country has shifted even more. So comparatively the GQP has moved right on social issues. Fiscally, the GQP has fallen completely off of the conservative bus and definitely shifted left.

The GOP might be sitting further right on the spectrum, but they haven’t ‘moved’ right at all.

If one kept their stance the same over 20-30 year, and the spectrum moved, they may be sitting in a different place on the soectrum, but they haven’t moved, the spectrum did.
That spectrum is called the Overton Window

88 as usual sums things up nicely

And, as usual, Treep is living in a simulation, written by government contracted coders, educated at ITT Academy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:37 pm
Ibanez wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:57 pm
Domestic
7.Deregulation
10.VA Reform/Greatly expanded what had been a limited, temporary, VA Choice Program.
12.Space Force
13.Operation Warp Speed

Foreign policy:
-Not a treaty
-Would cost our economy trillions with marginal benefit in terms of stopping any human caused global warming
7.Pulling out of Syria.
12.Killed Soleimani
I know the list....Presidents don't really have control over the stock market. SUre, they can help create an environment but if they had the power to control the Stock Market we'd never seen a down day.

And your #14 - Tell me what net new war Obama started. Or Clinton. Even Reagan, Ford, Nixon and JFK didn't start any new wars. This " No New Wars" is false. Not all military interventions are wars.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

UNI88 wrote:

It has been a populist party for decades (a bit less or more depending the area). They have just finally embraced what they tried to ignore before.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Ibanez wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:37 pm Domestic
7.Deregulation
12.Space Force
13.Operation Warp Speed

Foreign policy:
-Not a treaty
7.Pulling out of Syria.
12.Killed Soleimani
I know the list....Presidents don't really have control over the stock market. SUre, they can help create an environment but if they had the power to control the Stock Market we'd never seen a down day.

And your #14 - Tell me what net new war Obama started. Or Clinton. Even Reagan, Ford, Nixon and JFK didn't start any new wars. This " No New Wars" is false. Not all military interventions are wars.
When you decapitate the leadership and military capabilities of a country using your own military capabilities, that’s pretty much a war. Just because a President does it by executive fiat (because Congress is non-functional) doesn’t mean it isn’t war. And in fact, the action in Libya was more “war-like” than Afghanistan because our target was an actual state actor.

I played golf with Ambassador Aujali, the Libyan Amb to the US at that time (he later switched to the new govt) and he thought it was a war. I’m pretty sure the Libyans on the ground would have agreed with him.

After our poorly negotiated pullout from Iraq, Obama also had to send troops back to Iraq and Syria to fight the Daesh, and those troops are still there. Just because we overpower those adversaries with capability doesn’t mean it isn’t war.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

I think UNI88 nailed it..the left has gone further left so by comparison, the Right seems to have shifted as well. Aside from social issues, there's not much of a shift. The factions of the GOP having more control than others has certainly changed and thus their priorities.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

"Having her, I think, might be better than having your existing governor, if you want to know what I think," Trump said Saturday at his rally in Perry, adding later, "Stacey, would you like to take his place? It's OK with me."
https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/28/politics ... index.html

That's Trump promoting Abrams....wtf?!
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:39 am
"Having her, I think, might be better than having your existing governor, if you want to know what I think," Trump said Saturday at his rally in Perry, adding later, "Stacey, would you like to take his place? It's OK with me."

:lol:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

kalm wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:42 am
Ibanez wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:39 am

:lol:
Also...Stacey Abrams is now Trump approved. :lol: What a crazy world we live in
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:55 am

:roll: :roll: :roll:

According to the V-Dem Institute in Sweden, the GQP has gotten increasingly extreme over time. While donks have been fairly static, ranking consistently alongside other countries' "normal" parties, the GOP has gotten dramatically more illiberal and radical in their rhetoric (the Tea Party and Trump being major catalysts). They're now most similar to Europe's far-right parties (ex. UKIP, National Front, AfD, Fidesz, Lega Nord, and Golden Dawn). Dems are closer to 1982 Republicanism than anything the GQP is producing.

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detai ... liberalism

Harvard found similar results: https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... horitarian

You "enlightened" centrists need to stop thinking both parties are remotely the same.
Last edited by ∞∞∞ on Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

∞∞∞ wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:18 am
Ibanez wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:55 am
:roll: :roll: :roll:

According to the V-Dem Institute in Sweden, the GQP has been getting increasingly extreme over time. While donks have been fairly static over the years, ranking consistently alongside other countries' "normal" parties, the GOP has gotten dramatically more illiberal and radical in their rhetoric (the Tea Party and Trump being major catalysts). They're now most similar to Europe's far-right parties (ex. UKIP, National Front, AfD, Fidesz, Lega Nord, and Golden Dawn).

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detai ... liberalism

Harvard found similar results: https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... horitarian
I call BS on "donks have been fairly static over the years". The Democratic Party has increasingly become as illiberal and intolerant of differing opinions as the GQP.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

∞∞∞ wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:18 am According to the V-Dem Institute in Sweden....
:tothehand: :rofl:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:24 am
:clap: :lol: