89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: Positives from Covid-19

Post by 89Hen »

dbackjon wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:49 am
Chizzang wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:20 am imagine if 33% of rush hour traffic was eliminated
because it became evident a third of Americans didn't need to be in the office to be productive

and because of that discovery,
a percentage of kids could stay home on Tuesdays and Thursdays and simply "log in to class"
because a parent was home - because they didn't need to be in the office
We are finding that while working from home is possible, it is far less efficient.
It would be an interesting study, hopefully somebody is doing it.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Another positive. Record low gas prices.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:52 am
dbackjon wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:49 am

We are finding that while working from home is possible, it is far less efficient.
We just had a team meeting, and our group appears to be about the same from home as in the office. Probably more ready, as most have been working from home a few days a week prior to this year.
What are the measurables?
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:57 am Another positive. Record low gas prices.
Filled up for $2.25 a gallon on Tuesday at Costco. :shock:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

SDHornet wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:11 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:57 am Another positive. Record low gas prices.
Pretty good for Cali :thumb:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Silenoz wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:01 am
Ibanez wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:57 am When I was working FT from home I weighed around 170lbs. I ballooned to almost 200 lbs when I moved to the office FT. Since being home, I've gotten back into my WFH routine and am down 7 lbs. I get up more at home, walk around the neighborhood more, take the dog on more walks, watch what I eat and am getting more sleep since I don't have to commute.
I was at 200 when this started. I'll be curious to see where I'm at when it's over. I haven't had a beer in a month, partially to keep myself in top shape. And without eating out I have to cook 100% of our meals, which are generally pretty healthy.

I've also lost the near-daily headaches I used to have, strangely enough. So there's gotta be some sort of correlation with all these changes and my head feeling better.
I was eating like garbage and eating out too often. This has been a good reset.

Just finished a 45 minute walk to the post office and around my neighborhood. :thumb:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

Since I’m retired, and already a stay-at-home person, my positives are a little different than those already listed. I agree with most of them, but here goes:

So many regulations have been waived that we better question the bureaucratic government we have established at ALL levels. Some examples:

Here in Texas, food delivery services and restaurants serving take out can now offer liquor. The Resturant needs to have the proper ABC license, but previously, take out food could not be accompanied by a drink. And a delivery service like DoorDash could not even touch booze.

In Massachusetts, most restaurants could not even offer take out unless they were licensed for it. That has been waived. WTF, a Resturant can’t offer take out?

Federal Tele-med regulations have been waived...in this day and age, why are people equipped with computers and video capability (FaceBook, Skype, etc) prevented from using it in all but extreme cases?

In doing some research, I found I could type all day on the regulations waived. Each and every regulation that has been waived at ALL levels, must be questioned once this is over. That is my positive take from this mess.
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

dbackjon wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:10 am Appreciation for Front Line Employees
Appreciation for Teachers (Home-schooling your brats is no picnic)
Less Pollution.

With the shutdown in India, the company President that was trying to shift as much work to his brother's company back in Dehli is looking desperate now that we are understaffed in the US. Also, his plan of having the Billers sit in tiny cubes crammed next to each other to save money on rent is backfiring, as there is NO personal space between employees.
I plan on hooking up with teacher at the Parent-Teacher conference this evening. :coffee: :thumb:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:57 am
Chizzang wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:20 am imagine if 33% of rush hour traffic was eliminated
because it became evident a third of Americans didn't need to be in the office to be productive

and because of that discovery,
a percentage of kids could stay home on Tuesdays and Thursdays and simply "log in to class"
because a parent was home - because they didn't need to be in the office
There's going to be some wholesale changes in the way the country runs, no doubt about it. :nod: :nod:
I hope. I sincerely hope we don't return to business as usual. We can learn from this experience and change our society a bit. :nod: :nod: :nod:
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

We'll see.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Col Hogan wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:26 am Since I’m retired, and already a stay-at-home person, my positives are a little different than those already listed. I agree with most of them, but here goes:

So many regulations have been waived that we better question the bureaucratic government we have established at ALL levels. Some examples:

Here in Texas, food delivery services and restaurants serving take out can now offer liquor. The Resturant needs to have the proper ABC license, but previously, take out food could not be accompanied by a drink. And a delivery service like DoorDash could not even touch booze.

In Massachusetts, most restaurants could not even offer take out unless they were licensed for it. That has been waived. WTF, a Resturant can’t offer take out?

Federal Tele-med regulations have been waived...in this day and age, why are people equipped with computers and video capability (FaceBook, Skype, etc) prevented from using it in all but extreme cases?

In doing some research, I found I could type all day on the regulations waived. Each and every regulation that has been waived at ALL levels, must be questioned once this is over. That is my positive take from this mess.

Inertia is a bitch...

Alcohol has always been weird - religion and temperance has created a strange brew of regulations/laws which are specifically allowed in the Constitution (100% local control)

Food safety is a good reason, but no reason NOT to have take-out rules that are similar to dine-in

Telemed - we have used telemed for awhile for rural patient check ups. Given our specialty, blood and urine work are the most critical factor, but there are very important clues to health that are more apparent in person.

And be careful - a regulation waived in time of emergency may be fine in the short term, but the long term effect of the waiver (ie pollution, lack of oversight, etc) has to be considered as well.
:thumb:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:28 am
dbackjon wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:10 am Appreciation for Front Line Employees
Appreciation for Teachers (Home-schooling your brats is no picnic)
Less Pollution.

With the shutdown in India, the company President that was trying to shift as much work to his brother's company back in Dehli is looking desperate now that we are understaffed in the US. Also, his plan of having the Billers sit in tiny cubes crammed next to each other to save money on rent is backfiring, as there is NO personal space between employees.
I plan on hooking up with teacher at the Parent-Teacher conference this evening. :coffee: :thumb:
Naughty boy
:thumb:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

dbackjon wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:39 am
Ibanez wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:28 am
Naughty boy
Here's hoping....
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:57 am When I was working FT from home I weighed around 170lbs. I ballooned to almost 200 lbs when I moved to the office FT. Since being home, I've gotten back into my WFH routine and am down 7 lbs. I get up more at home, walk around the neighborhood more, take the dog on more walks, watch what I eat and am getting more sleep since I don't have to commute.
I was at 200 when this started. I'll be curious to see where I'm at when it's over. I haven't had a beer in a month, partially to keep myself in top shape. And without eating out I have to cook 100% of our meals, which are generally pretty healthy.
:suspicious: I'm eating and drinking more that I'm home. Many days at the office I skip lunch. But I'm also getting more walks (just did a quick 1.5 with the dog) and better sleep. So, not sure where that will leave me.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:26 am

I've also lost the near-daily headaches I used to have, strangely enough. So there's gotta be some sort of correlation with all these changes and my head feeling better.
I was eating like garbage and eating out too often. This has been a good reset.

Just finished a 45 minute walk to the post office and around my neighborhood. :thumb:
GET TO WORK!!!!!!!!
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Col Hogan wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:26 am
I don't think "Tele-med" is as simple as having a computer. I think it's a matter of equipment that goes along with it such as oxygen sensor, blood pressure measurerrrrr, temperature measurerrrrr, etc. Docs can ask you to hold up your medicine to determine if there are enough pills missing (meaning you are taking your meds) through video, along with other things like looking at skin. Not exactly sure what is necessary for diabetics but there is probably something beyond video that is necessary in some cases.

I think the problem is that the cost of that equipment, including the computer, would be charged to Medicare/Medicaid. From a payer's standpoint, why should they pay for convenience?
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

89Hen wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:42 am

:suspicious: I'm eating and drinking more that I'm home. Many days at the office I skip lunch. But I'm also getting more walks (just did a quick 1.5 with the dog) and better sleep. So, not sure where that will leave me.
Fat, alert, and less productive. :coffee:
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

Record low? Are you really 22?
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

1. Reign in globalization
2. More telecommuting, fewer pointless meetings.
3. Decentralization of population out of large cities.
4. Gas prices falling.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

I also have seen the change that many of you mentioned in traffic, eating better and more exercise. I see probably double the people out walking that I normally do on my bike rides and the lessening of traffic has definitely been a plus in that.

I have a couple multiple hour long conference calls in a week and whereas before I would do other work or come on here, I now walk around my place and do little bits of cleaning or I call in on my cell phone and go for a walk outside. It really has helped me get towards my goal of 210#'s by end of May and am currently down 11 lbs. Right around 226#'s now.

It also seems that people have slowed down quite a bit, work doesn't seem so hectic and when I am out cycling or on Facebook I see more family's spending time together doing activities. If nothing else comes out of all of this, there is going to be kids that remember this time for that they were able to skip school and the time spent with their family's. Hopefully parents realize that the time and effort they put into their kids is payed out later in a greater amount then they initially put in. Also that they come away with a new appreciation of how much teachers actually do for their kids.

How much of this is a long term shift or permanent, I think depends on how long this lasts and how quickly things go back to the old patterns.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

dbackjon wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:39 am
Col Hogan wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:26 am Since I’m retired, and already a stay-at-home person, my positives are a little different than those already listed. I agree with most of them, but here goes:

Inertia is a bitch...

Alcohol has always been weird - religion and temperance has created a strange brew of regulations/laws which are specifically allowed in the Constitution (100% local control)

Food safety is a good reason, but no reason NOT to have take-out rules that are similar to dine-in

Telemed - we have used telemed for awhile for rural patient check ups. Given our specialty, blood and urine work are the most critical factor, but there are very important clues to health that are more apparent in person.

And be careful - a regulation waived in time of emergency may be fine in the short term, but the long term effect of the waiver (ie pollution, lack of oversight, etc) has to be considered as well.
I did say questioned...not simply abolished...
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

AshevilleApp wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:04 pm

Record low adjusted for inflation. I lived through 39cent gas in the 70's.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

CAA Flagship wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:58 am
89Hen wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:42 am
Fat, alert, and less productive. :coffee:
….is not way to go through life, son.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:12 pm
AshevilleApp wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:04 pm

Record low adjusted for inflation. I lived through 39cent gas in the 70's.
AND it was leaded. Not this gluten-free shit we have today. :king:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:25 am
SDHornet wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:11 am

Pretty good for Cali :thumb:
$1.69 in Texas right now....