Here we go again (Brunswick, Georgia)

Political discussions
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Re: Here we go again (Brunswick, Georgia)

Post by CID1990 »

JohnStOnge wrote:
CID1990 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:53 pm Judges tend to get impatient with prosecutors who violate one of our most sacred Constitutional protections like the 5th Amendment. Most sane people saw a corrupt and inept DA’s office and people like you saw a judge who wasn’t nice about borderline prosecutorial misconduct.

Why spill so much ink over a judge in a trial that never should have happened in the first place?

Because you aren’t sane

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Because the judge's unprofessional behavior undermined confidence in the system.
When most media outlets have a significant portion of the population thinking Rittenhouse killed three black people in cold blood, a judge with little patience for corrupt or incompetent prosecutors is the least of our worries for eroding confidence in the justice system

Or when a clear self defense case goes to trial

Or when a President and VP publicly impugn the character of the defendant

You sure are triggered by odd things

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

JohnStOnge wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:34 pm
CID1990 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:53 pm
Judges tend to get impatient with prosecutors who violate one of our most sacred Constitutional protections like the 5th Amendment. Most sane people saw a corrupt and inept DA’s office and people like you saw a judge who wasn’t nice about borderline prosecutorial misconduct.

Why spill so much ink over a judge in a trial that never should have happened in the first place?

Because you aren’t sane

Because the judge's unprofessional behavior undermined confidence in the system.
Yes, yes. Preach. Because before that trial, we ALL had 100% confidence in “the system”, as put on display by the MSM and our political leaders. Full confidence, I tell you.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:37 pm
CID1990 wrote: Judges tend to get impatient with prosecutors who violate one of our most sacred Constitutional protections like the 5th Amendment. Most sane people saw a corrupt and inept DA’s office and people like you saw a judge who wasn’t nice about borderline prosecutorial misconduct.

Because you aren’t sane

What if I saw both? An inept prosecution and a judge who a little bit of a clown?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

You didn't see that. Pay attention, he clearly told you what you saw. :ohno:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:56 am
JohnStOnge wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:34 pm

Yes, yes. Preach. Because before that trial, we ALL had 100% confidence in “the system”, as put on display by the MSM and our political leaders. Full confidence, I tell you.
No shit.

Can't we get back to letting the white supremacists and the white supremacist cops beat the fuck out of each other on the Capitol steps? I love watching the footage of that. :thumb:

It like watching the Cowboys play the Rams and they both lose.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

So two of the three get life no parole and third gets life with chance of parole. Sounds about right.

But this is one of the reasons that folks don't care for our justice system...
Life in prison without parole plus 20 years
If it's life in prison without parole, why the need to tack on 20 years? Does that mean they keep the casket in the cell for 20 years after they die? WTF?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:50 pm So two of the three get life no parole and third gets life with chance of parole. Sounds about right.

But this is one of the reasons that folks don't care for our justice system...
Life in prison without parole plus 20 years
If it's life in prison without parole, why the need to tack on 20 years? Does that mean they keep the casket in the cell for 20 years after they die? WTF?
Life in prison without parole can mean a set number of years so it doesn't necessarily mean they will spend the rest of their life in prison.
Travis McMichael is 35 so he could conceivably live past 95 and be released. It's unlikely he'll live to 115.

Maybe Ivy or Joe can confirm.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

I didn't follow this case super closely, but from what I understand:

Redneck #1: The ginger. He's the only one who fired his gun. I am totally good with that guy going to jail for life without the possibility of parole if there was no self defense involved.

Redneck #2: Drew a gun, but didn't fire. Maybe he caused the black guy to do something that caused Redneck #1 to fire. OK, give Redneck #2 some serious time. I'm OK with that. But no parole when he didn't murder anyone? Not so sure about that.

Redneck #3: This fellow was just a neighbor who heard a commotion and followed the redneck father/son duo at a safe distance and took cellphone video, didn't destroy the evidence, and ultimately provided the key piece of evidence to police....

...and that poor bastard gets 30 years before he's eligible for parole? What am I missing here?

Redneck #3, YOU GOT MOSSED!!!
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

93henfan wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:33 pm I didn't follow this case super closely, but from what I understand:

Redneck #1: The ginger. He's the only one who fired his gun. I am totally good with that guy going to jail for life without the possibility of parole if there was no self defense involved.

Redneck #2: Drew a gun, but didn't fire. Maybe he caused the black guy to do something that caused Redneck #1 to fire. OK, give Redneck #2 some serious time. I'm OK with that. But no parole when he didn't murder anyone? Not so sure about that.

Redneck #3: This fellow was just a neighbor who heard a commotion and followed the redneck father/son duo at a safe distance and took cellphone video, didn't destroy the evidence, and ultimately provided the key piece of evidence to police....

...and that poor bastard gets 30 years before he's eligible for parole? What am I missing here?

I thought #3 at some point used his car to help corral the eventual victim. And I thought he was basically with the other two, it's not like he was just some bystander that was videoing something he knew nothing about. He was the guy making the snuff film. And it wasn't until someone leaked the video to outside the police department, a few months later, before people really started to consider these guys criminals. I agree, it was helpful that they had the video (without the video we'd never even know about this killing and these guys wouldn't have served a day in prison), but it's not like he offered the video up because he thought a crime had happened.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:40 pm I thought #3 at some point used his car to help corral the eventual victim. And I thought he was basically with the other two, it's not like he was just some bystander that was videoing something he knew nothing about. He was the guy making the snuff film.
Honest question: Do you really think he thought the black fellow was going to be shot or killed when he pressed "record"?

Think logically here.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

93henfan wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:42 pm
GannonFan wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:40 pm I thought #3 at some point used his car to help corral the eventual victim. And I thought he was basically with the other two, it's not like he was just some bystander that was videoing something he knew nothing about. He was the guy making the snuff film.
Honest question: Do you really think he thought the black fellow was going to be shot or killed when he pressed "record"?

Think logically here.
I think there was always a possibility. Sometimes people fight back. This guy did and they killed him for it. I don't think it was their intent, but they also didn't appear to be too upset that it happened. Like I said, if that video doesn't get out, these guys would have gotten off scot free.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:43 pm
93henfan wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:42 pm

Think logically here.
I think there was always a possibility. Sometimes people fight back. This guy did and they killed him for it. I don't think it was their intent, but they also didn't appear to be too upset that it happened. Like I said, if that video doesn't get out, these guys would have gotten off scot free.
So getting back to my point, you think putting a middle-aged man with a cell phone away, effectively, for the rest of his life is just?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

93henfan wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:48 pm
GannonFan wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:43 pm

So getting back to my point, you think putting a middle-aged man with a cell phone away, effectively, for the rest of his life is just?
Well, again, I thought he was more active in the pursuit than just filming it, I thought he, at one point, drove his car to cut off the escape of the victim. And I don't think he freely offered up the video as a response that he wasn't involved.

With that said, no, I don't believe in the felony murder charge used here (and used often before this on black defendants). I agree with your premise that the guy who actually commits the murder is guilty of the greater crime than the people who were there who maybe didn't have murderous intent for being there. Life in prison for something like that isn't justified in my mind. But 10, 20, 30 years could fit the bill depending on the details.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:05 pm
93henfan wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:48 pm

Well, again, I thought he was more active in the pursuit than just filming it, I thought he, at one point, drove his car to cut off the escape of the victim. And I don't think he freely offered up the video as a response that he wasn't involved.

With that said, no, I don't believe in the felony murder charge used here (and used often before this on black defendants). I agree with your premise that the guy who actually commits the murder is guilty of the greater crime than the people who were there who maybe didn't have murderous intent for being there. Life in prison for something like that isn't justified in my mind. But 10, 20, 30 years could fit the bill depending on the details.
Getting warmer. :lol:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

93henfan wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:33 pm I didn't follow this case super closely, but from what I understand:

I’m in the same boat and agreement here.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Redneck #1 pulled the trigger and was convicted of malice murder.

Redneck #2 and Redneck #3 did not pull the trigger and were not convicted of malice murder. They were convicted of felony murder.

Felony murder does not require an intent to kill. In Georgia (and other states), if someone dies as a result of you committing a felony... it's felony murder. Redneck #3 was convicted of false imprisonment since he also cornered Arbery with his truck. Jury had no choice but to also convict him of felony murder since Arbery died. Life imprisonment with the possibility of parole is the lowest sentence for felony murder.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Suppose they'd been robbing a bank instead instead of practicing their lynching skills?

Father and son go inside and their buddy drives the getaway car after they killed a guard during the robbery. I believe that in some states the getaway driver is also charged with murder, no? :nod:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Poor bastard was an accessory to murder. He helped to detain a man and stood by while he was murdered for being black and out for a jog.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Everyone raises valid points, but I still say HE GOT MOSSED!!!
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

I just find the wild disparity in punishments for crimes to be intriguing.

Take a guy like Chiefs wide receiver Tyreek Hill. This guy tuned up his pregnant girlfriend like a speed bag in college, blackening her eyes, bruising her face, and punching her in her pregnant abdomen while she carried his son. Later, after his son was born, he beat the kid and broke his little toddler arm. When she recorded him, he said (paraphrasing) "I want him to be scared of me, and bitch you better be scared of me too."

He served no time or punishment. To me, what he did was worse than recording two neighbors chasing a guy known to malinger/trespass around active residential construction sites and other private property on camera in the middle of the night.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

93henfan wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:05 am I just find the wild disparity in punishments for crimes to be intriguing.

Take a guy like Chiefs wide receiver Tyreek Hill. This guy tuned up his pregnant girlfriend like a speed bag in college, blackening her eyes, bruising her face, and punching her in her pregnant abdomen while she carried his son. Later, after his son was born, he beat the kid and broke his little toddler arm. When she recorded him, he said (paraphrasing) "I want him to be scared of me, and bitch you better be scared of me too."

He served no time or punishment. To me, what he did was worse than recording two neighbors chasing a guy known to malinger/trespass around active residential construction sites and other private property on camera in the middle of the night.
If those guys in Georgia didn't kill the jogger they wouldn't be doing any jail time either. Just that one little tiny detail that they killed the guy. :coffee:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

93henfan wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:05 am I just find the wild disparity in punishments for crimes to be intriguing.

Tyreek Hill is a piece of shit

I didn't follow it all that closely but was he known to go around active residential construction sites?

And I can't tell you how often I will wander into a home in my neighborhood that's being built. :lol:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:21 pm

I didn't follow it all that closely but was he known to go around active residential construction sites?

And I can't tell you how often I will wander into a home in my neighborhood that's being built. :lol:
Didn't they say on the news that he was caught on camera? Like, in the middle of the night casing for shit to steal? Again, I didn't follow this case very closely.
Last edited by 93henfan on Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

You are now a known malingerer/trespasser.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:28 pm
Ibanez wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:21 pm Tyreek Hill is a piece of shit

You are now a known malingerer/trespasser.
Also a fence sitter and flip flopper. Please be more thorough.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

:suspicious: I never have since maybe ago 15. I learned about this thing called tresspassing..

If I lived in a neighborhood with new homes being built, and saw some random guy entering a neighboring property under construction (esp after walls up), I’m at least going to be watching, maybe call the Po-Po. Construction site theft and vandalism (more likely kids) is a big deal..

If I’m having a house built somewhere I don’t want random fuckers entering it.I woukd certainly have it posted. And aren’t most residential contrustion sites posted? Should be anyway..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.