Political discussions
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: China

Post by 89Hen »

∞∞∞ wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:30 pm They both identify as polyamory...
Here's the problem I have with this generation Trip. That's always existed. I find it rather ironic that people who hate being mislabeled, come up with new labels that they insist on calling themselves. Why does somebody have to announce they are not monogamous? Similarly, if you are feminine man, be a feminine man. Why do you need to be a fauxgender? :coffee:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

∞∞∞ wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:30 pm
UNI88 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:16 pm
There is a huge difference between making a spectacle of idiots and shaming people who you disagree with or worse costing them their livelihoods. Liberals only want to stand up for the downtrodden when they are likely to vote for them. A partisan hack is a partisan hack regardless of their ideology.

There are plenty of idiots on both sides of the aisle - MTG, Gaetz, Waters, AOChe, etc. but you want to reserve the label for those you disagree with. BDKaren does the same thing but his opinions are the reverse of yours.
Welcome to the game of life.

I post here knowing I'll be labeled an idiot. That's fine. Its a consequence of my action, hoping I can change a mind or two.

Life is only a larger version of this forum. There's many things I can say and do, but some will cost me my livelihood. And if I haven't changed with the times, that's on me.

I'll give you a recent example. I was having dinner with my 21yo cousin and her friend on Monday. They both identify as polyamory and non-binary, something I probably would have (at minimum) smirked at just a few years ago. But I didn't because the times had changed and I had learned identity is particularly important to her generation. Instead I asked her what non-binary meant (I knew of course) and it ended up being an awesome conversation and she felt great that she taught me something.

What would have happened if I laughed? Been ostracized by my cousin? Maybe ended up on social media (I mean our entire dinner was basically TikToked)? In the end, adapt and survive.
None of this means that Waters, AOChe, etc. aren't just as big of idiots as MTG, Gaetz, etc. IMO they are.

My philosophy towards gender and identity is twofold:
1) On a professional level, it's none of my business.
2) On a personal level, I want people to be themselves and be happy with who they are.

You can identify in whatever way you want and I will do my best to respect that but I'm in my mid-50's and I might slip up occasionally. Should I be made a spectacle of or lose my livelihood over a slip-up?

I question how you prioritize justice and consequences when you think that people who have been convicted of violent crimes have gotten a raw deal but you want to run roughshod over people who hurt someone's feelings.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

89Hen wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:54 pm
∞∞∞ wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:30 pm They both identify as polyamory...
Here's the problem I have with this generation Trip. That's always existed. I find it rather ironic that people who hate being mislabeled, come up with new labels that they insist on calling themselves. Why does somebody have to announce they are not monogamous? Similarly, if you are feminine man, be a feminine man. Why do you need to be a fauxgender? :coffee:
First of all, it's not a "problem" that hurts anyone.

Second, I'd be cautious with that argument. I don't think they're new labels as much as labels which were hidden to due to societal stigmas. Maybe not the exact labels, but nonetheless labels which weren't discussed.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:59 pm My philosophy towards gender and identity is twofold:
2) On a personal level, I want people to be themselves and be happy with who they are.

You can identify in whatever way you want and I will do my best to respect that but I'm in my mid-50's and I might slip up occasionally. Should I be made a spectacle of or lose my livelihood over a slip-up?
I'm almost there with you, but mine are not always "slip-ups". I don't give a rats ass how somebody wants to dress, how they want to act, who they want to screw.... but if you start insisting others conform to them... then they're no better than somebody who is bigoted against them.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

∞∞∞ wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:02 pm
89Hen wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:54 pm

First of all, it's not a "problem" that hurts anyone.

Second, I'd be cautious with that argument. I don't think they're new labels as much as labels which were hidden to due to societal stigmas. Maybe not the exact labels, but nonetheless labels which weren't discussed.
It's headed that way Trip (a problem that can hurt someone). Watch some Jordan Peterson clips to see what's going on in Canada. Here's a hint... Why would I need to be "cautious"?
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

kalm wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:03 am
∞∞∞ wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:37 pm The Satanic Temple is amazing. It and the Church of the FSM are probably the only two "religious" groups I'd ever join.

Church of Satan is an insane cult though.
:nod:

Tenets of the Satanic Church…

I

One should strive to act with compassion and empathy toward all creatures in accordance with reason.

II

The struggle for justice is an ongoing and necessary pursuit that should prevail over laws and institutions.
III

One’s body is inviolable, subject to one’s own will alone.

IV

The freedoms of others should be respected, including the freedom to offend. To willfully and unjustly encroach upon the freedoms of another is to forgo one's own.

V

Beliefs should conform to one's best scientific understanding of the world. One should take care never to distort scientific facts to fit one's beliefs.

VI

People are fallible. If one makes a mistake, one should do one's best to rectify it and resolve any harm that might have been caused.

VII

Every tenet is a guiding principle designed to inspire nobility in action and thought. The spirit of compassion, wisdom, and justice should always prevail over the written or spoken word.
Welp, Trip is out with that one. Homeboy can't even read basic vax rates by demographic. :lol:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

89Hen wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:05 pm
UNI88 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:59 pm My philosophy towards gender and identity is twofold:

I'm almost there with you, but mine are not always "slip-ups". I don't give a rats ass how somebody wants to dress, how they want to act, who they want to screw.... but if you start insisting others conform to them... then they're no better than somebody who is bigoted against them.
This. I think most people don't give a flying fuck what they do with their lives, but it was that change from "tolerance" to "acceptance" and the forceful interjection of that "acceptance" that got us to where we are.

Also none of this has to do with China...well I guess it does in a sense in that anyone pushing "acceptance" of something contrary to the party line ends up in a gulag.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:59 pm
∞∞∞ wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:30 pm

Welcome to the game of life.

I post here knowing I'll be labeled an idiot. That's fine. Its a consequence of my action, hoping I can change a mind or two.

Life is only a larger version of this forum. There's many things I can say and do, but some will cost me my livelihood. And if I haven't changed with the times, that's on me.

I'll give you a recent example. I was having dinner with my 21yo cousin and her friend on Monday. They both identify as polyamory and non-binary, something I probably would have (at minimum) smirked at just a few years ago. But I didn't because the times had changed and I had learned identity is particularly important to her generation. Instead I asked her what non-binary meant (I knew of course) and it ended up being an awesome conversation and she felt great that she taught me something.

What would have happened if I laughed? Been ostracized by my cousin? Maybe ended up on social media (I mean our entire dinner was basically TikToked)? In the end, adapt and survive.
None of this means that Waters, AOChe, etc. aren't just as big of idiots as MTG, Gaetz, etc. IMO they are.

My philosophy towards gender and identity is twofold:

I question how you prioritize justice and consequences when you think that people who have been convicted of violent crimes have gotten a raw deal but you want to run roughshod over people who hurt someone's feelings.
:nod:

I’m at peace with the changes. Doesn’t mean I agree or like them. It’s just what cultures tend to do. I also reserve the right to be curmudgeonly at times.

(Member of the 89hen admiration society).
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

SDHornet wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:46 pm

This. I think most people don't give a flying fuck what they do with their lives, but it was that change from "tolerance" to "acceptance" and the forceful interjection of that "acceptance" that got us to where we are.

Also none of this has to do with China...well I guess it does in a sense in that anyone pushing "acceptance" of something contrary to the party line ends up in a gulag.
I am. I do not give a rat ass what somebody wants to identify as. As soon as you start making a case for "forceful" interjection I will happily do what I can to point out their hypocrisy and generally be a complete sarcastic ass.

Most that I have ran across are looking for attention and have a "look at me" attitude. The ones that are truly comfortable and are just themselves, are much more polite and have the same wants as I do. To be left alone to live life and not told how to live every second of it.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

I called it within 6 years, 2 years ago.

We’ll see (like the old man said)

Whether we defend Taiwan or not doesn’t matter... (we can’t- China is more advanced and owns the airspace)

For now, in selected places, dudes in America can use the ladies room

Keep your eyes on the ball, peeps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

I didn't think it would be this soon, but I could see them wanting to get it done now with Biden in the White House. Granted, America has a penchant for doubling down on mediocrity, but you'll probably not have a more neutered American foreign policy in control as you do now so it makes the perfect time for China to pull the trigger on Taiwan.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:58 am I didn't think it would be this soon, but I could see them wanting to get it done now with Biden in the White House. Granted, America has a penchant for doubling down on mediocrity, but you'll probably not have a more neutered American foreign policy in control as you do now so it makes the perfect time for China to pull the trigger on Taiwan.
Exactly. When are their olympics, again? I anticipate bombing to begin as closing ceremonies are wrapping up.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

I bet Biden is working on a strongly worded letter as we speak.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:42 am
GannonFan wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:58 am I didn't think it would be this soon, but I could see them wanting to get it done now with Biden in the White House. Granted, America has a penchant for doubling down on mediocrity, but you'll probably not have a more neutered American foreign policy in control as you do now so it makes the perfect time for China to pull the trigger on Taiwan.
Exactly. When are their olympics, again? I anticipate bombing to begin as closing ceremonies are wrapping up.
That would put it to around March 1st, 2022. Someone should call Taiwan and let them know.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:56 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:42 am

That would put it to around March 1st, 2022. Someone should give Taiwan a nuke for one last FU to the CCP & PLA.
FYP
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

BINGO!

I usually defer to the Andrew Clay theory on transvestitism. It's an either/or thing.
I might not be able to say it out loud, LOL, but its what I'm thinking.
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:45 am I bet Biden is working on a strongly worded letter as we speak.
Yeah, a letter chastising any in the American public who would deign to criticize the Chinese actions.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

GannonFan wrote:I didn't think it would be this soon, but I could see them wanting to get it done now with Biden in the White House. Granted, America has a penchant for doubling down on mediocrity, but you'll probably not have a more neutered American foreign policy in control as you do now so it makes the perfect time for China to pull the trigger on Taiwan.
Xi has wedded his political legacy to “reunification”. He says it out loud, and so do the “wolf diplomats” and state media. They are going to cash that check - they have whipped up enough nationalist fervor that it would be a devastating blow to the CCP to NOT make a play.

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

CID1990 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:41 pm
GannonFan wrote:I didn't think it would be this soon, but I could see them wanting to get it done now with Biden in the White House. Granted, America has a penchant for doubling down on mediocrity, but you'll probably not have a more neutered American foreign policy in control as you do now so it makes the perfect time for China to pull the trigger on Taiwan.
Xi has wedded his political legacy to “reunification”. He says it out loud, and so do the “wolf diplomats” and state media. They are going to cash that check - they have whipped up enough nationalist fervor that it would be a devastating blow to the CCP to NOT make a play.

So, do you think Taiwan has any chance to hold them off? How do you see it playing out?
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:33 am

So, do you think Taiwan has any chance to hold them off? How do you see it playing out?
I think that depends on Miley still being "in-charge"
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Well at the least the Taiwanese whould be able to bloody them before falling, no (like the Russians/Finns in 1939-1940)? I thought we had sold a lot of top shelf stuff to the Taiwanese over the years.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

But ... Biden says he and China's Xi agree to abide by Taiwan agreement
"I've spoken with Xi about Taiwan. We agree ... we'll abide by the Taiwan agreement," he said. "We made it clear that I don't think he should be doing anything other than abiding by the agreement."
Who's buying this?