Political discussions
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Re: China

Post by HI54UNI »

I don't know about the accuracy of this but interesting twitter thread on the impact if the Three Gorges Dam would break. Click on the tweet to get to the thread.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

SDHornet wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:16 pm
UNI88 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:11 pm

How'd he do with replacing Obamacare? Trump has done well at some things but he's as full of shit and/or looking to line his own and his friends pockets as the rest of them.

CID - libertarians aren't completely rightists.
Not to give a pass for Trump on Obamacare, but that was something the conks should have had ready on day 1 of Trumps presidency. They didn't because establishment conks also want a large government to control the people as well. Go figure.

I guess the NRA fotgot all about their raison d'etre being about defending us from a tyrannical federal gummint, or something like that I forget. :coffee:

I guess we don't need them anyway now that a bunch of moms have sent the fed's mercenary subcontractors packing... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

HI54UNI wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:28 pm I don't know about the accuracy of this but interesting twitter thread on the impact if the Three Gorges Dam would break. Click on the tweet to get to the thread.
Great find, Fiver! :notworthy:

And my reaction to the lengthy Huntsman tweet chain is :o
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Ivytalk wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:41 am
HI54UNI wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:28 pm I don't know about the accuracy of this but interesting twitter thread on the impact if the Three Gorges Dam would break. Click on the tweet to get to the thread.

Great read.

And plenty of interesting threads on his twitter feed.
:thumb:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Excellent threads on Qatar and Diego Garcia
:thumb:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

dbackjon wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:20 pm Excellent threads on Qatar and Diego Garcia
My name is Diego Garcia. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:44 am
∞∞∞ wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:27 am Didn't realize the Presidency was some dictatorship which creates all policy, and no other offices exist.

Well the way some treat Trump, maybe it is.
I'm pretty sure that the ctrl-left butt hurt over Trump winning has been worse than the alt-right butt hurt over Obama winning. I fully expect the alt-right butt hurt if Biden wins to be even worse. We've become a nation of Karens and Nancys throwing temper tantrums and complaining about the end of the republic when we don't get our way.
Not as much in total but the quality is way up from Marxist Manchurian Candidate born in Kenya and raised by the KGB :thumb:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

dbackjon wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:15 pm
Ivytalk wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:41 am

Great read.

The Chinese need a good enema.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

Baldy wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:38 am
dbackjon wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:15 pm

Great read.

If that dam blows, they’ll get one! :lol:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Well, her driver was a Chinese spy...

CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

SDHornet wrote:Well, her driver was a Chinese spy...

And her husband has significant business ties to China - which of course she says is firewalled

This is how they’ll do it - after the strategic industries then they’ll purchase the politicians

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Ivytalk wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:00 pm
be a shame if we had another accident like the one with the Chinese embassy in Kosovo.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Ivytalk wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:00 pm
How much damage will the dam blowing do to the Chinese economy vs. the world economy? And how far will it set back Chinese plans for world hegemony?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
CitadelGrad
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Jack Kerouac
A.K.A.: El Cid

Post by CitadelGrad »

CID1990 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:30 am

And her husband has significant business ties to China - which of course she says is firewalled

This is how they’ll do it - after the strategic industries then they’ll purchase the politicians

Didn't that bitch have a Chinese spy on her staff for more than a decade?
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

- Thomas Jefferson, in letter to William S. Smith, 1787

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

A lot of floating Chinamen?
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

CitadelGrad wrote:
CID1990 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:30 am And her husband has significant business ties to China - which of course she says is firewalled

Didn't that bitch have a Chinese spy on her staff for more than a decade?
Yes.

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

SDHornet wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:49 am
Well they’ve proven they’ll EAT anything, so why would it surprise anyone that they’ll pull up whatever they can catch and ship it home?
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

SDHornet wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:49 am
Next thing you know, the Reds will be muscling in on the sushi industry.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

CID1990 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:30 am

Between Feinstein and McConnell/Chao they already have
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

I’ve used the word genocide before when talking about China, but in truth what they are doing to the Uighurs is not a genocide - based on what we know China is doing.

We have a habit, especially in the media, of sensationalizing everything and this is a prime example of it.

If China was systematically trying to kill all the Uighurs then that would be genocide. What China is in fact doing is trying to re-educate the Uighurs using a number of coercive strategies which also happen to be gross human rights violations. But it isn’t a genocide (not yet, anyway).

I understand the temptation to use the term. It grabs attention and tries to put a focus on what China is doing is despicable. But here’s the thing: it is no different than anything else China has done since they became a single party dictatorship. This IS China.. it is what they do. And they are getting ready to start doing it outside their borders.

But calling something a genocide when it is not is counterproductive. It gives China’s sycophants like Disney, the NBA, and our own politicians top cover to minimize China’s actions because they can (rightly) refute claims of genocide. It is the same thing as finding racism in all things American. If everything is genocide/racism, then nothing is. And it is telling that nobody in the mass media is making this distinction, because they are mostly intellectually bankrupt.

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

CID1990 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:05 pm I’ve used the word genocide before when talking about China, but in truth what they are doing to the Uighurs is not a genocide - based on what we know China is doing.

We have a habit, especially in the media, of sensationalizing everything and this is a prime example of it.

If China was systematically trying to kill all the Uighurs then that would be genocide. What China is in fact doing is trying to re-educate the Uighurs using a number of coercive strategies which also happen to be gross human rights violations. But it isn’t a genocide (not yet, anyway).

I understand the temptation to use the term. It grabs attention and tries to put a focus on what China is doing is despicable. But here’s the thing: it is no different than anything else China has done since they became a single party dictatorship. This IS China.. it is what they do. And they are getting ready to start doing it outside their borders.

But calling something a genocide when it is not is counterproductive. It gives China’s sycophants like Disney, the NBA, and our own politicians top cover to minimize China’s actions because they can (rightly) refute claims of genocide. It is the same thing as finding racism in all things American. If everything is genocide/racism, then nothing is. And it is telling that nobody in the mass media is making this distinction, because they are mostly intellectually bankrupt.

I'd agree. Assimilation is probably a better word. They're not trying to kill all the Uyghurs but are they trying to assimilate them into mainstream Chinese culture and essentially silence or kill the Uyghur culture.

And I loved the photo of the mask.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Under pressure over Xinjiang, China takes aim at overseas Uighurs, academics
It was one of over half a dozen such segments showing Uighurs, a mostly Muslim ethnic minority in the western region, pleading with relatives abroad to come home and stop speaking out against China and the ruling Communist Party.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:18 pm Under pressure over Xinjiang, China takes aim at overseas Uighurs, academics
It was one of over half a dozen such segments showing Uighurs, a mostly Muslim ethnic minority in the western region, pleading with relatives abroad to come home and stop speaking out against China and the ruling Communist Party.
Better not make the plane ticket a round trip. :coffee:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein