Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: China

Post by BDKJMU »

andy7171 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:52 am
GannonFan wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:33 am

So, do you think Taiwan has any chance to hold them off? How do you see it playing out?
I think that depends on Miley still being "in-charge"
I’m sure General Benedict is calling his Chicom counterpart saying don’t worry about us, we won’t attack….
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:13 am
CID1990 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:41 pm
Xi has wedded his political legacy to “reunification”. He says it out loud, and so do the “wolf diplomats” and state media. They are going to cash that check - they have whipped up enough nationalist fervor that it would be a devastating blow to the CCP to NOT make a play.
But ... Biden says he and China's Xi agree to abide by Taiwan agreement
"I've spoken with Xi about Taiwan. We agree ... we'll abide by the Taiwan agreement," he said. "We made it clear that I don't think he should be doing anything other than abiding by the agreement."
Who's buying this?
Which agreement is he speaking of? The international one, or the one Hunter arranged.
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:14 am
GannonFan wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:56 am

That would put it to around March 1st, 2022. Someone should give Taiwan a nuke for one last FU to the CCP & PLA.
FYP
Officially they do not have them, though they did have a program in the past.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Winterborn wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:56 am
UNI88 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:14 am
FYP
Rumor has it that on January 19, Trump provided Taiwan with an undetermined number of small, mobile nuclear devices. Taiwan has positioned these devices in strategic locations in China to be detonated if the republic is invaded and overthrown.

Note: this is not a disinformation campaign meant to throw the PLA and CCP into a tizzy searching for nukes that don't exist.

:D
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:41 pm
Winterborn wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:56 am

Rumor has it that on January 19, Trump provided Taiwan with an undetermined number of small, mobile nuclear devices. Taiwan has positioned these devices in strategic locations in China to be detonated if the republic is invaded and overthrown.

Note: this is not a disinformation campaign meant to throw the PLA and CCP into a tizzy searching for nukes that don't exist.

:D
Hopefully they were some of our Neutron bombs that were just lying around.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

GannonFan wrote:
CID1990 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:41 pm Xi has wedded his political legacy to “reunification”. He says it out loud, and so do the “wolf diplomats” and state media. They are going to cash that check - they have whipped up enough nationalist fervor that it would be a devastating blow to the CCP to NOT make a play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So, do you think Taiwan has any chance to hold them off? How do you see it playing out?
Nope.

I don’t think it will be completely kinetic, either. The PRC will cripple the C&C structure with massive cyber attacks, some targeted assassinations, and they’ll spoof nav gear.

They’ll sabotage infrastructure with military uses - using the hundreds of thousands of agents they already have in the country.

The PLA will be mopping up surrounded Taiwanese units within two weeks of their landings, barring any outside interventions. And those landings will be backed up by a missile defense system that will make intervention a VERY costly affair.

My main worry is whether or not China will decide it is necessary to take some kind of action against us to prevent an intervention, or whether we decide to intervene.

Make no mistakes though - China invading Taiwan would divide the world over time in some very interesting ways.

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

CID1990 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:34 pm
GannonFan wrote:
Nope.

I don’t think it will be completely kinetic, either. The PRC will cripple the C&C structure with massive cyber attacks, some targeted assassinations, and they’ll spoof nav gear.

They’ll sabotage infrastructure with military uses - using the hundreds of thousands of agents they already have in the country.

The PLA will be mopping up surrounded Taiwanese units within two weeks of their landings, barring any outside interventions. And those landings will be backed up by a missile defense system that will make intervention a VERY costly affair.

My main worry is whether or not China will decide it is necessary to take some kind of action against us to prevent an intervention, or whether we decide to intervene.

Make no mistakes though - China invading Taiwan would divide the world over time in some very interesting ways.

What do you mean by that?
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

And people think the chip shortage is bad now. One company in Taiwan, Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. – accounts for more than half of the world’s semiconductor chips..
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

When China invades, how far does the Dow fall? 10%? 20% 30%?
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

GannonFan wrote:
CID1990 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:34 pm Nope.

There are several countries that would side with China, and those are already known -

Russia (tentatively)
Iran
N Korea
Venezuela

But then there are other countries that would block or hamper any real consequences for China in an economic sense. And some of those countries would continue with China as their primary trading partner

UAE (other Gulf States would eventually follow suit)
Germany
All of the Stans
most of the former Warsaw Pact, minus Poland and Hungary (maybe)
All of SE Asia
All of the Pacific maritime states
New Zealand

Pretty much our only allies would be Australia, India, Japan (precarious), UK, the Baltic States and Scandinavia, Canada, and a few minor states

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:43 pm When China invades, how far does the Dow fall? 10%? 20% 30%?
50%?
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

CID1990 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:00 pm
GannonFan wrote:
There are several countries that would side with China, and those are already known -

Russia (tentatively)
Iran
N Korea
Venezuela

But then there are other countries that would block or hamper any real consequences for China in an economic sense. And some of those countries would continue with China as their primary trading partner

UAE (other Gulf States would eventually follow suit)
Germany
All of the Stans
most of the former Warsaw Pact, minus Poland and Hungary (maybe)
All of SE Asia
All of the Pacific maritime states
New Zealand

Pretty much our only allies would be Australia, India, Japan (precarious), UK, the Baltic States and Scandinavia, Canada, and a few minor states

Depending on the how the energy situation in the EU goes, Germany and the rest are tied at the hip to Russia.

The ones you listed as potential allies are for the most part energy independent. Who controls the flow of energy, controls the country.

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:12 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:43 pm When China invades, how far does the Dow fall? 10%? 20% 30%?
50%?
We will be luck to only have to worry about how far the DOW falls.

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

50%?
Major buying opportunity when that happens. :nod:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Winterborn wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:14 pm

50%?
Time to head for the fallout shelters. Or Northern Idaho.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Ivytalk wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:45 pm

Time to head for the fallout shelters. Or Northern Idaho.
We have plenty of old missile silos up here that are available. :D

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

SDHornet wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:16 pm

50%?
Major buying opportunity when that happens. :nod:
I think in the lead up to the CHI-NA olympics I’ll be moving all my positions to cash. :coffee: :coffee:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Keep an eye on SPY and buy some puts...no reason why we can't profit off the turmoil. That's the American Way. :thumb:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

50%?
This :?
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:33 am
Keep an eye on SPY and buy some puts...no reason why we can't profit off the turmoil. That's the American Way. :thumb:
I already have a heavy investment in SPY. But not puts....
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:07 pm
Ibanez wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:33 am

I already have a heavy investment in SPY. But not puts....
My man. :clap: :clap:

There was a meme stock that tanked on Monday or Tuesday (and it tanked b/c some shady capital firm manipulated the stock). I bought a bunch of calls and so far it's doing well. if it reaches the ATH today or the next trading day, i'll sell.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Jazz Shaw over at HotAir has been on fire lately and I’ve posted more stuff from that single source than I would like to... but I do feel they have their finger squarely on the conservative middle way

So, here’s today’s piece on how China’s control of global supply lines is one of their greatest weapons and how our consumerist, non-labor based society is largely responsible

https://hotair.com/jazz-shaw/2021/10/14 ... es-n422344

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

CID1990 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:38 am Jazz Shaw over at HotAir has been on fire lately and I’ve posted more stuff from that single source than I would like to... but I do feel they have their finger squarely on the conservative middle way

So, here’s today’s piece on how China’s control of global supply lines is one of their greatest weapons and how our consumerist, non-labor based society is largely responsible

I’m down with that. It has boggled my mind that the US has lagged so far behind in chip production. We invented the fucking things!
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Ivytalk wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:23 am
CID1990 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:38 am Jazz Shaw over at HotAir has been on fire lately and I’ve posted more stuff from that single source than I would like to... but I do feel they have their finger squarely on the conservative middle way

I’m down with that. It has boggled my mind that the US has lagged so far behind in chip production. We invented the fucking things!
I think there are two plants planned to be built in the SouthWest, not sure on the size though.

CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Ivytalk wrote:

Chips are like yachts... they require a certain infrastructure and skilled labor base to make... which is why they are both made in Taiwan.