Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Re: China

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:36 am
houndawg wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:28 pm

They probably grow their own like everybody else. :coffee:
Maybe they should smoke a little of it and mellow out. Maybe some bluegrass as well. They seem a little high strung and on the verge of a thumper.
Probably thought they were going to get left out in favor of some shit team that ducked their games with tough opponents. I think the committee considered who showed up when they were handing out seeds too
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

houndawg wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:14 pm
UNI88 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:36 am
Maybe they should smoke a little of it and mellow out. Maybe some bluegrass as well. They seem a little high strung and on the verge of a thumper.
Probably thought they were going to get left out in favor of some shit team that ducked their games with tough opponents. I think the committee considered who showed up when they were handing out seeds too
SIU Coach and AD worried they might get left out ...

Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:25 pm

:rofl:

Ancient history, bro. :coffee:

They're all smiles today. :thumb:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Australia cancels Belt and Road deals; China warns of further damage to ties
Australia on Wednesday cancelled two deals struck by its state of Victoria with China on Beijing's flagship Belt and Road Initiative, prompting the Chinese embassy in Canberra to warn that already tense bilateral ties were bound to worsen.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Here's what makes US spy agencies so much more worried about China than Russia
"China is an unparalleled priority for the Intelligence Community … [it] increasingly is a near-peer competitor challenging the United States in multiple arenas, while pushing to revise global norms in ways that favor the authoritarian Chinese system," Avril Haines, the Director of National Intelligence, said during the hearing.
China views the US the same way the US sees Russia: as a declining power. And relations between Washington and Beijing revolve around two main issues: broader great-power competition and the use and abuse of technology.

As it grows and gains confidence, China is becoming more assertive on the international stage, challenging the status quo. Beijing doesn't agree with the rules-based system that the US created after World War II and wishes to do away with it in part or in whole.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:21 pm Here's what makes US spy agencies so much more worried about China than Russia
"China is an unparalleled priority for the Intelligence Community … [it] increasingly is a near-peer competitor challenging the United States in multiple arenas, while pushing to revise global norms in ways that favor the authoritarian Chinese system," Avril Haines, the Director of National Intelligence, said during the hearing.
China views the US the same way the US sees Russia: as a declining power. And relations between Washington and Beijing revolve around two main issues: broader great-power competition and the use and abuse of technology.

As it grows and gains confidence, China is becoming more assertive on the international stage, challenging the status quo. Beijing doesn't agree with the rules-based system that the US created after World War II and wishes to do away with it in part or in whole.
At some point we're going to have to decide to use that trillion dollar military to slow the closing of that gap.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Japan’s global rare earths quest holds lessons for the US and Europe
A key prong of Jogmec’s strategy was to diversify Japan’s supplies. That meant investing in and partnering with rare earths companies around the world starting soon after the Chinese embargo, including rescuing Australia’s Lynas from collapse, in order to build a wider portfolio of suppliers. It also supports efforts to recycle rare earths, as well as research to develop rare earth substitutes. That strategy has been largely successful: Japan slashed rare earth supplies from China from over 90% of imports to 58% within a decade, according to UN Comtrade data. It aims to bring that below 50% by 2025.

As the global shift to electric vehicles and renewable energy is expected to drive a surge in rare earth demand, Japan is set to further increase funding for the exploration and mining of rare earths, according to Nikkei. One consideration is to lift the current 50% cap on state funding for resource exploration projects, which could ease the private sector’s financial burden in inherently risky mining projects.
Interesting article. If the US continues to push for electric vehicles and doesn't diversify the supply of rare earths, our dependence on China will increase.

It also highlights some of the benefits of public/private ventures. Maybe this is something Biden should be pursuing from an infrastructure perspective.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:22 pm Japan’s global rare earths quest holds lessons for the US and Europe
A key prong of Jogmec’s strategy was to diversify Japan’s supplies. That meant investing in and partnering with rare earths companies around the world starting soon after the Chinese embargo, including rescuing Australia’s Lynas from collapse, in order to build a wider portfolio of suppliers. It also supports efforts to recycle rare earths, as well as research to develop rare earth substitutes. That strategy has been largely successful: Japan slashed rare earth supplies from China from over 90% of imports to 58% within a decade, according to UN Comtrade data. It aims to bring that below 50% by 2025.

As the global shift to electric vehicles and renewable energy is expected to drive a surge in rare earth demand, Japan is set to further increase funding for the exploration and mining of rare earths, according to Nikkei. One consideration is to lift the current 50% cap on state funding for resource exploration projects, which could ease the private sector’s financial burden in inherently risky mining projects.
Interesting article. If the US continues to push for electric vehicles and doesn't diversify the supply of rare earths, our dependence on China will increase.

It also highlights some of the benefits of public/private ventures. Maybe this is something Biden should be pursuing from an infrastructure perspective.
Or Biden* will just keep us in Afghanland indefinitely. :coffee:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

SDHornet wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:11 pm
UNI88 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:22 pm Japan’s global rare earths quest holds lessons for the US and Europe

I hope not.

There are rare earths in the US. Mining them has just been too expensive with too great of an environmental impact compared to China (maybe because they don't give two sh!ts about the environment). Australia also has them with some of the same challenges as the US. We can reduce our dependence and possibly give other western countries an option but it will take resolve to spend the money and resolve the conflict between the environmental concerns of rare earth mining vs. internal combustion engines.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

SDHornet wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:11 pm

There are a lot of natural resources to extract there
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

How 'bout them Dawgs? :thumb:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

houndawg wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:08 am

They looked good! I can see why JMU was ducking them.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:49 am
houndawg wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:08 am

They looked good! I can see why JMU was ducking them.
No matter how much you repeat FAKE NEWS, its still FAKE NEWS.

And what does SIU and JMU football have to do with China :suspicious:
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

What? So Trump repeating over and over that the election was stolen didn't make it true? Do the other MAGAts know this?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:18 pm What? So Trump repeating over and over that the election was stolen didn't make it true? Do the other MAGAts know this?

Trump didn't need to repeat it over and over. He could have never said it once, and would still be true..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:49 pm
UNI88 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:18 pm What? So Trump repeating over and over that the election was stolen didn't make it true? Do the other MAGAts know this?

Trump didn't need to repeat it over and over. He could have never said it once, and would still be true..
No matter how much you repeat FAKE NEWS, its still FAKE NEWS.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

BDKJMU wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:49 pm

:crybaby:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Internal Memo to Beijing: China’s Competitive Advantage against America
First, Americans can no longer do basic public policy.
The U.S. coronavirus response over two different administrations exposed that this system is broken. The U.S. overwhelmingly prioritized only one goal — coronavirus health issues — and let it overwhelm almost all other social- and economic-policy goals. Even with that singular focus, they failed to do the central task of their own chosen strategy — to protect the elderly and vulnerable. Over 80 percent of their COVID deaths were among the elderly. And yet, for a period of time, they shut down almost all economic and social activity by the least vulnerable populations, without any cost-benefit analysis of this approach. This contributed to all of the points below that have accelerated our strategic advantage.

Despite the Americans’ professed policy focus on public health, we see good estimates that the singular health-system focus on the coronavirus at the expense of so many other health practices will likely kill far more people in the next few years than the virus itself did. Especially when you add in the issues associated with the economic privation, stress, and isolation they voluntarily underwent. Our internal data support the U.K. Department of Health report noting that, “when morbidity is taken into account, the estimates for the health impacts from a lockdown and lockdown-induced recession are greater in terms of quality adjusted life years than the direct COVID-19 deaths.”

Second, because of this policy choice, America is purposely eroding the very sources of its own economic competitiveness.
Third, their coronavirus responses have also weakened another one of their great competitive advantages: the vaunted U.S. education system.
Fourth, I am happy to report that the American political experiment is declining in legitimacy — there and everywhere else.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

UNI88 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:28 am Internal Memo to Beijing: China’s Competitive Advantage against America
First, Americans can no longer do basic public policy.
The U.S. coronavirus response over two different administrations exposed that this system is broken. The U.S. overwhelmingly prioritized only one goal — coronavirus health issues — and let it overwhelm almost all other social- and economic-policy goals. Even with that singular focus, they failed to do the central task of their own chosen strategy — to protect the elderly and vulnerable. Over 80 percent of their COVID deaths were among the elderly. And yet, for a period of time, they shut down almost all economic and social activity by the least vulnerable populations, without any cost-benefit analysis of this approach. This contributed to all of the points below that have accelerated our strategic advantage.

Despite the Americans’ professed policy focus on public health, we see good estimates that the singular health-system focus on the coronavirus at the expense of so many other health practices will likely kill far more people in the next few years than the virus itself did. Especially when you add in the issues associated with the economic privation, stress, and isolation they voluntarily underwent. Our internal data support the U.K. Department of Health report noting that, “when morbidity is taken into account, the estimates for the health impacts from a lockdown and lockdown-induced recession are greater in terms of quality adjusted life years than the direct COVID-19 deaths.”

Second, because of this policy choice, America is purposely eroding the very sources of its own economic competitiveness.
Third, their coronavirus responses have also weakened another one of their great competitive advantages: the vaunted U.S. education system.
Fourth, I am happy to report that the American political experiment is declining in legitimacy — there and everywhere else.
Their coronavirus responses have accelerated a series of crises in their universities: flawed business models dependent on massive debt financing, trendy nonsense curricula, credentialed but uneducated graduates, highly politicized faculties and administrations, and an odd monoculture so outside of the mainstream of American life

Nailed it!
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Ibanez wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:07 am
Their coronavirus responses have accelerated a series of crises in their universities: flawed business models dependent on massive debt financing, trendy nonsense curricula, credentialed but uneducated graduates, highly politicized faculties and administrations, and an odd monoculture so outside of the mainstream of American life

Nailed it!
Keep an eye on Cairo, IL, if you want to watch the Chinese do long range planning in real time. You kidses kids will be able to walk to China on the line of freighters filled with corn and soybeans. At least they will after the Chinese put through a larger canal in Central America that can handle their ships that are too large for the Panama Canal. :coffee:
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Can't get the MSM to report objectively on a lot of domestic issues, but they'll take money from the Chicoms that I'm sure are just generous donations and don't come with any quid pro quo.

Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter