Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: China

Post by kalm »

SDHornet wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:39 am
GannonFan wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:53 am

There are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of sci-fi books and movies with this kind of premise as the plot line - scientists for whatever reasons (sometimes good, they want to eradicate disease, sometimes bad, they want to create a weapon, and many times in between) tinker with a natural virus, end up making it significantly worse (more contagious, more deadly, kinda like making the flu into COVID or something like that), and then lose control of it and it ends up in the population. Heck, isn't that how "The Stand" started? I think it's a testament to our political quagmire and to the lack of integrity and professionalism in our media today that a guy like Fauci hasn't had to be far more forthcoming on the details of his involvement, and that there hasn't been more looking into why there was so much US-based funding of the Wuhan Lab.
I'm just waiting for a zombie virus (see 28 Days Later) to break loose. Dear God, please happen...
That’s such a great fucking movie and I’ve thought the same thing... :lol:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

When Will China Rule the World? Maybe Never
But that outcome is far from guaranteed. China’s reform agenda is already languishing, tariffs and other trade curbs are disrupting access to global markets and advanced technologies, and Covid stimulus has lifted debt to record levels.

The nightmare scenario for Xi is that China could follow the same trajectory as Japan, also touted as a potential challenger to the U.S. before it crashed three decades ago. A combination of reform failure, international isolation and financial crisis could halt China before it reaches the top.

Another possibility—enticing to the skeptics—if China’s official GDP data is exaggerated, the gap between the world’s biggest and second biggest economies may be larger than it appears, and closing at a slower pace.
Somebody better let Houndie know that his dream outcome could be in doubt. :coffee:
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

UNI88 wrote:When Will China Rule the World? Maybe Never
But that outcome is far from guaranteed. China’s reform agenda is already languishing, tariffs and other trade curbs are disrupting access to global markets and advanced technologies, and Covid stimulus has lifted debt to record levels.

The nightmare scenario for Xi is that China could follow the same trajectory as Japan, also touted as a potential challenger to the U.S. before it crashed three decades ago. A combination of reform failure, international isolation and financial crisis could halt China before it reaches the top.

Another possibility—enticing to the skeptics—if China’s official GDP data is exaggerated, the gap between the world’s biggest and second biggest economies may be larger than it appears, and closing at a slower pace.
Somebody better let Houndie know that his dream outcome could be in doubt. :coffee:
First of all, I just started to refer to you dolely as “88”, but apparently that trips a lot of digital search engine tripwires. So I’ll just call you UNI

That article is well thought out but it is a big bag of wishful thinking. A lot of people are trying to draw parallels with China and Japan and God help us if those people ever wind up in policy positions (many are now).

We beat the nationalism out of Japan with a baseball bat in the 1940s. They have been the opposite of nationalistic since 1945 and have only become a little assertive starting in about 2005.

China is today what Japan would have been in 1965 if we had signed an armistice with them after taking back all the little shithole islands up to but not including the Philippines.

China is literally equal to us militarily today on most metrics, except tech and volume and they are out superiors in some VERY scary categories. All of the theories that talk about demographic decline, dissent, etc are wishful thinking thought exercises. This is the Chinese century and we just do not realize it yet. They will be dictating fiscal policy to our own Congress within 30 years and that is a fact. None of the bars to Chinese global hegemony will matter at that point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

CID1990 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:57 pm

First of all, I just started to refer to you dolely as “88”, but apparently that trips a lot of digital search engine tripwires. So I’ll just call you UNI

That article is well thought out but it is a big bag of wishful thinking. A lot of people are trying to draw parallels with China and Japan and God help us if those people ever wind up in policy positions (many are now).

We beat the nationalism out of Japan with a baseball bat in the 1940s. They have been the opposite of nationalistic since 1945 and have only become a little assertive starting in about 2005.

China is today what Japan would have been in 1965 if we had signed an armistice with them after taking back all the little shithole islands up to but not including the Philippines.

China is literally equal to us militarily today on most metrics, except tech and volume and they are out superiors in some VERY scary categories. All of the theories that talk about demographic decline, dissent, etc are wishful thinking thought exercises. This is the Chinese century and we just do not realize it yet. They will be dictating fiscal policy to our own Congress within 30 years and that is a fact. None of the bars to Chinese global hegemony will matter at that point.

Don't tell him that, he gets the vapors when you talk like that. :mrgreen:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

They sure do act like their agenda includes exporting a very large number of settlers.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

I never really thought about the other 88 connotation. Is my username putting me on fascist watch lists?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

I don't disagree, I think the connection of them to Japan is not really well thought out, two very different cultures and two very different countries. Maybe the author thought all Asians look alike and went with it?

I think the scary thing about China is the recent decision to no longer restrict the number of births, and maybe even going further and encouraging more births (and punishing those who don't procreate). A large, restless population with less opportunities tends to, when that generation of males hits the 18-25 age, make for potential unstable changes in foreign policy and outlook towards the rest of the world.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

GannonFan wrote:
CID1990 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:57 pm First of all, I just started to refer to you dolely as “88”, but apparently that trips a lot of digital search engine tripwires. So I’ll just call you UNI

I don't disagree, I think the connection of them to Japan is not really well thought out, two very different cultures and two very different countries. Maybe the author thought all Asians look alike and went with it?

I think the scary thing about China is the recent decision to no longer restrict the number of births, and maybe even going further and encouraging more births (and punishing those who don't procreate). A large, restless population with less opportunities tends to, when that generation of males hits the 18-25 age, make for potential unstable changes in foreign policy and outlook towards the rest of the world.
China *does have a demographic problem, and there’s a lot of consensus out there that it will certainly lead to a net negative economic growth curve over the next 20 years and beyond. And that is in spite of whatever the CCP might be doing to fix it... they are doing too little too late. The work-work economy, childcare, and cultural factors are going to keep birthrates below the replacement level.

But - where a lot of China watchers see this as something that will limit China’s competitiveness in relation to other developed nations, some (including me) thinks it will make them more nationalistic and dangerous. The CCP will be dealing with a restive middle class and dictatorships deal with that with one strategy: by tightening control internally while scapegoating external actors. When a Venezuela does this, it is just an annoyance. When a world power does it, you get “living space”, “patriotic births” and “protecting Volksdeustch”.

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

CID1990 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:18 pm
GannonFan wrote:

China *does have a demographic problem, and there’s a lot of consensus out there that it will certainly lead to a net negative economic growth curve over the next 20 years and beyond. And that is in spite of whatever the CCP might be doing to fix it... they are doing too little too late. The work-work economy, childcare, and cultural factors are going to keep birthrates below the replacement level.

But - where a lot of China watchers see this as something that will limit China’s competitiveness in relation to other developed nations, some (including me) thinks it will make them more nationalistic and dangerous. The CCP will be dealing with a restive middle class and dictatorships deal with that with one strategy: by tightening control internally while scapegoating external actors. When a Venezuela does this, it is just an annoyance. When a world power does it, you get “living space”, “patriotic births” and “protecting Volksdeustch”.

So similar to the Lebensraum und Lebensborn..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

GannonFan wrote:

I absolutely agree. China is already so much more nationalistic today than it was 20 years ago, and there's every indication that Xi wants to warp speed that nationalistic furor ever more so going forward. I think you see them go after Taiwan in the next 10 years - that's when the crap is really going to hit the fan. How that goes and what they do after that will be very interesting/troubling.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

China

Post by CID1990 »

GannonFan wrote:

I absolutely agree. China is already so much more nationalistic today than it was 20 years ago, and there's every indication that Xi wants to warp speed that nationalistic furor ever more so going forward. I think you see them go after Taiwan in the next 10 years - that's when the crap is really going to hit the fan. How that goes and what they do after that will be very interesting/troubling.
Open source from China watchers leans towards the next 6 years as being very dangerous for Taiwan. Xi has made it a national priority

Edit: And the rest of the developed world will do nothing. Nobody talks about Tibet anymore, talk about Hong Kong is fading, Xinjiang is in the open but not generating the outrage it should

Taiwan is a dead man walking (with microchips)

GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

CID1990 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:22 pm
GannonFan wrote:
Open source from China watchers leans towards the next 6 years as being very dangerous for Taiwan. Xi has made it a national priority

I was covering my bet, but yes, I think it's an easy bet to be less than 10 years. Taiwan better be putting the crocodiles in the moat sooner than later.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

It was only a matter of time before the idiot wing raised its head on China-

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/05/1 ... ism-489688

CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Heh. Full court press from the proggies on China-

Racism and climate change. In this case, the last refuge of fools

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/07/0 ... ves-498588

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:48 pm

So similar to the Lebensraum und Lebensborn..
Sounds like it, right? We know how well it turned out then....
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

CID1990 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:42 am Heh. Full court press from the proggies on China-

They're not wrong about needing China's cooperation on climate change but they're naive if they think that China is going to do more than throw us an environmental bone or two no matter how much we bend over and appease them.

Interesting that they want to give China a pass on the genocide of Uyghurs, suppressing Hong Kong protesters, etc. while demonizing Israel for what could be argued is a disproportionate response to Hamas' rocket attacks and denial of their right to exist.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

UNI88 wrote:
CID1990 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:42 am Heh. Full court press from the proggies on China-

They're not wrong about needing China's cooperation on climate change but they're naive if they think that China is going to do more than throw us an environmental bone or two no matter how much we bend over and appease them.

Interesting that they want to give China a pass on the genocide of Uyghurs, suppressing Hong Kong protesters, etc. while demonizing Israel for what could be argued is a disproportionate response to Hamas' rocket attacks and denial of their right to exist.
Absolutely we need them to play ball - but your assessment is correct on how far they will go, even in the best of times.

This is one of several fronts along which the “progressive” movement is reducing itself to nothing more than background noise.

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

China is by far the world’s biggest polluter. Nobody else comes close. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... cW-6ZeCufJ

https://climatetrade.com/which-countrie ... polluters/

“Competitive cooperation,” my arse! :tothehand:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Ivytalk wrote:

China is by far the world’s biggest polluter. Nobody else comes close. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... cW-6ZeCufJ

Somebody finally adjusted the voodoo data that the climate alarmists were using that showed the US being the largest polluter.

It seems like only 4-5 years ago we were way out in front of China. Now, China is way out in front of us and Europe combined.

Funny thing, numbers

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

CID1990 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:51 am
Ivytalk wrote:

Somebody finally adjusted the voodoo data that the climate alarmists were using that showed the US being the largest polluter.

It seems like only 4-5 years ago we were way out in front of China. Now, China is way out in front of us and Europe combined.

Funny thing, numbers

They're probably pumping out more pollution in the Shaanxi province than in the entire US.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Expert predicts failure as China eyes a move into Afghanistan: 'This is going to be fun to watch'
"Right now, the most important threat to the United States are not the militants in Afghanistan, but China. We were bogged down in Afghanistan with this whole notion of nation building." He went on to suggest the U.S. focus on redeploying its forces to aid friends and allies in the regions surrounding China.

"Beijing has a lot of money, they can do a lot of things, but they can't do everything and right now they are overstretched. And it looks like they're going to add one more commitment to something that, yeah, maybe they can succeed, but is going to come at an enormous cost."

"I would love to see China get mired into Afghanistan," Chang admitted. "This is going to be fun to watch."
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:20 pm When Will China Rule the World? Maybe Never

Not a chance. I'm saving you a stool and dunce cap at the re-education camp. And I better see some revolutionary zeal if you ever want to get out of the cotton fields
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:12 am

Maybe naive, maybe they recognize that China is going to do what they want to do and there isn't a thing the rest of the world can do about that.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:55 pm Expert predicts failure as China eyes a move into Afghanistan: 'This is going to be fun to watch'
"Right now, the most important threat to the United States are not the militants in Afghanistan, but China. We were bogged down in Afghanistan with this whole notion of nation building." He went on to suggest the U.S. focus on redeploying its forces to aid friends and allies in the regions surrounding China.

"Beijing has a lot of money, they can do a lot of things, but they can't do everything and right now they are overstretched. And it looks like they're going to add one more commitment to something that, yeah, maybe they can succeed, but is going to come at an enormous cost."

"I would love to see China get mired into Afghanistan," Chang admitted. "This is going to be fun to watch."
:nod:

After WW2 my father worked overseas surveying in Afghanistan and Pakistan. He told us a story about getting stopped in the Khyber Pass and having their jeeps and survey stuff taken. One of the Afghani engineers had gotten his schooling in the US and spoke English well. He had the OK from whomever controlled the pass that day to arrange for the crew to be picked up without being robbed. Dad said the seemed a bit shaken by the negotiating process and that he later told Dad that essentially they had been treated well by the robbers because of my Dad's bright red beard. Apparently there is a holiday, or some kind of noted occasion during which muslim clerics dye their beards red with Henna in honor of some goat fucker and the tribesmen were just too superstitious to kill the survey crew and take the rest of their shit so they let them call a ride.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

It would be interesting to see how a re-armed Japan would affect the equation - seems like WW2 would have left them with more worries than anyone about there being a new boss in the hood.