Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: China

Post by GannonFan »

CID1990 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:42 am
UNI88 wrote:
Hopefully, this continues and seriously impacts the bidding for the next Olympic broadcast contract. Maybe then it will influence the IOC's selection process.

I'm not watching.
The IOC as a world body is as corrupt as they come. China will get Olympic games as often as they want them. They just need to buy new Maseratis for some and sprinkle a little poon here and there and even Wuhan could get a games

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed. The IOC makes FIFA look like choir boys.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:40 pm
Winterborn wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:36 pm The irony is that the article came from the New York times.

https://hotair.com/john-s-2/2021/12/14/ ... da-n435396
Ralph was a white monkey. It all makes sense now. :nod:
Before his time. Trendsetter. :lol:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

CID1990 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:17 pm https://www.theatlantic.com/internation ... od/621618/

We really are bending the knee to China. That's a great article and also a bit frightening. In pursuit of money and a wider audience, Hollywood and others have sold out their capitalist and American principles. The Top Gun story is ironic given how the OG movie is about Uber-American heroes and military might...but to make the sequel there has to be censorship as to not offend Chinese investors and audiences. :ohno:

It also shows the necessity of American Capitalism to Chinese "Democracy." :coffee:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Ibanez wrote:
CID1990 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:17 pm https://www.theatlantic.com/internation ... od/621618/

We really are bending the knee to China. That's a great article and also a bit frightening. In pursuit of money and a wider audience, Hollywood and others have sold out their capitalist and American principles. The Top Gun story is ironic given how the OG movie is about Uber-American heroes and military might...but to make the sequel there has to be censorship as to not offend Chinese investors and audiences. :ohno:

It also shows the necessity of American Capitalism to Chinese "Democracy." :coffee:
Today we are literally watching direct analogs to the rise of the Nazis to power in Germany. These Beijing games are a carbon copy of the 1936 Berlin Games.

Yet, we have media toeing the line in China for access, parsing their stories, and in some cases even repeating CCP propaganda.

Anyone who is ignorant enough to ask how we could just stand by from 1932-1939 needs look no further than what is happening right now.

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

CID1990 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:09 am
Ibanez wrote:

Today we are literally watching direct analogs to the rise of the Nazis to power in Germany. These Beijing games are a carbon copy of the 1936 Berlin Games.

Yet, we have media toeing the line in China for access, parsing their stories, and in some cases even repeating CCP propaganda.

Anyone who is ignorant enough to ask how we could just stand by from 1932-1939 needs look no further than what is happening right now.

Both totalitarian regimes just swap out the Jews for the Uyghur's. :coffee:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Ibanez wrote:

But we ain’t got no Jesse Owens this time.

And the Chinese military capers in the East and South China Seas are analogous to the Nazi remilitarization of the Rhineland in 1935. Wake up, people!
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote:

And Hollywood is in bed with the Chicomms. A pro communist Hollywood. Where have we seen that before?
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

China is not doing so well in the Olympics and the facilities don't really make the games shine like they should.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Ibanez wrote:

:nod: Same with the vax passports. "I don't understand how people would let that happen to the Jews" said the person who favors banning unvaccinated people from society.
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

We're never going to deal with China in any substantive way as long as the establishment of either party is in power. Big money interests and corporate America love them too much.

And it's compounded because some think saying bad things about China only encourages white supremacists disguised as young black men to commit hate crimes against Asians (or something).
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:23 pm

And Hollywood is in bed with the Chicomms. A pro communist Hollywood. Where have we seen that before?
:suspicious: That was the article CID posted..so yeah...
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Pwns wrote:We're never going to deal with China in any substantive way as long as the establishment of either party is in power. Big money interests and corporate America love them too much.

And it's compounded because some think saying bad things about China only encourages white supremacists disguised as young black men to commit hate crimes against Asians (or something).
This is true and it is true of our relationships elsewhere in the world, as well

The US beats a big drum around the world tying cash and aid to human rights. Most countries pretended to play ball because we were the only game in town.

China shows up with bags of upfront cash and no politically weakening strings attached. Rather than immediate pain in order to get railroads, bridges, and other projects, China offers these things with pain only off several years in the future, by which time the countries’ leaders who inked the deal are long gone, pockets well-lined.

What we have to decide is whether human rights in Burundi are important enough to us that we are ok with losing Burundi’s vote in the UN and having a PLAAF airbase there. It was a noble path while it lasted but at the end of the day those countries would rather just go with China.

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

If I was hazarding a guess, I think China has well over 50% of the worlds Lithium supply locked up or close to being locked up (they are working on some Chilean mines as well).
Apparently so. China appears to have been playing the long game because this week they struck a deal with the Taliban to begin mining one of the richest copper deposits in the world. Afghanistan’s other mineral assets will also be on their shopping list, and the Taliban seem all too happy to oblige.

It isn’t just copper that China is after, although that’s quickly becoming a far more valuable commodity than in the past. Afghanistan is also home to one of the largest untapped deposits of lithium in the world. Whoever controls that will have a huge upper hand in the battery market, which is exploding as nations move to green energy and electric vehicles. At Khanneshin in Helmand province, there are rich supplies of rare earth minerals including lanthanum, cerium, and neodymium. One survey from 2014 estimated that the country has at least one trillion dollars in rare earth minerals waiting to be exploited.
https://hotair.com/jazz-shaw/2022/03/14 ... ng-n455151
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Winterborn wrote:If I was hazarding a guess, I think China has well over 50% of the worlds Lithium supply locked up or close to being locked up (they are working on some Chilean mines as well).
Apparently so. China appears to have been playing the long game because this week they struck a deal with the Taliban to begin mining one of the richest copper deposits in the world. Afghanistan’s other mineral assets will also be on their shopping list, and the Taliban seem all too happy to oblige.

It isn’t just copper that China is after, although that’s quickly becoming a far more valuable commodity than in the past. Afghanistan is also home to one of the largest untapped deposits of lithium in the world. Whoever controls that will have a huge upper hand in the battery market, which is exploding as nations move to green energy and electric vehicles. At Khanneshin in Helmand province, there are rich supplies of rare earth minerals including lanthanum, cerium, and neodymium. One survey from 2014 estimated that the country has at least one trillion dollars in rare earth minerals waiting to be exploited.
I am confident that if the woke brigades and the fucking Karens who think Elon Musk should be stripped of his wealth are not successful in their endeavors that he will figure out how to get enough lithium from the moon to power every co-ed at the College of Charleston and Mary Baldwin until our sun goes fucking red giant

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

CID1990 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:54 pm
Winterborn wrote:If I was hazarding a guess, I think China has well over 50% of the worlds Lithium supply locked up or close to being locked up (they are working on some Chilean mines as well).

I am confident that if the woke brigades and the fucking Karens who think Elon Musk should be stripped of his wealth are not successful in their endeavors that he will figure out how to get enough lithium from the moon to power every co-ed at the College of Charleston and Mary Baldwin until our sun goes fucking red giant

A free Musk would be a sight to behold. :nod:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Says the guy from the Party-Of-Sucking-Off-Putin :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Winterborn wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:58 am If I was hazarding a guess, I think China has well over 50% of the worlds Lithium supply locked up or close to being locked up (they are working on some Chilean mines as well).

There were assays done long before 2014. A significant reason in Russia's decision to invade Afghanistan. Probably still threads in the archives about it
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Anyone following the new round of mass lockdowns in China. Pure craziness.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

And the whole Republican Party has gone COMSYMP for the white commies :ohno:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Well, Biden just said - US will go to war with China if it invades Taiwan. And the WH is trying to walk it back..
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:45 am Well, Biden just said - US will go to war with China if it invades Taiwan. And the WH is trying to walk it back..
I have no problem with what he said (and I normally think Biden says a lot of crap and misspeaks way too much). He basically said we're not going to stand for a violent takeover of Taiwan (ala Russia in Ukraine right now). That's been our position for a long time in this country so I don't mind him going there. As CID said though, prior to him exiting this site, the biggest issue would be if Taiwan could hold out long enough to even get our help. At least Ukraine held their own enough to start getting our weapons - Taiwan could fold in a day and I doubt we'd do a lot if resistance on the island vanished.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

GannonFan wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:52 am
BDKJMU wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:45 am Well, Biden just said - US will go to war with China if it invades Taiwan. And the WH is trying to walk it back..
I have no problem with what he said (and I normally think Biden says a lot of crap and misspeaks way too much). He basically said we're not going to stand for a violent takeover of Taiwan (ala Russia in Ukraine right now). That's been our position for a long time in this country so I don't mind him going there. As CID said though, prior to him exiting this site, the biggest issue would be if Taiwan could hold out long enough to even get our help. At least Ukraine held their own enough to start getting our weapons - Taiwan could fold in a day and I doubt we'd do a lot if resistance on the island vanished.
Well, the WH and Biden aren’t on the same page, because they are trying to walk it back trying to ‘clarify’ his yes to the reporters question..
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:13 pm
GannonFan wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:52 am

Well, the WH and Biden aren’t on the same page, because they are trying to walk it back trying to ‘clarify’ his yes to the reporters question..
Saw that too. It appears he went rogue. Do you think it was an irresponsible statement?