Here We Go Again (Minneapolis, MN)

Political discussions
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Here We Go Again (Minneapolis, MN)

Post by clenz »

Pwns wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:39 pm Bad shit happens when you resist arrest. That doesn't make some of cops actions justifiable, but your chances of dying go up a lot needlessly trying to be Billy Badass.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

SDHornet wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:52 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:27 pm
I know the wording/charges are different in different states, but if you unintentionally cause the death of someone through you’re own stupidity, that’s generally not murder, but rather a negligent homicide or manslaughter.
Murder, manslaughter, whatever. She should be arrested and charged accordingly.

And the "pulled over because of air fresheners" has already been debunked. Wright was pulled over for expired tags and had a warrant out for his arrest for failing to appear in court after being charged with unlawful possession of a firearm.
The police chief was questioned as to why he was pulled over for tags, given that the MDOT has a two to three-month delay on getting tags out - EVEN WHEN ORDERED ON TIME - due to the pandemic. The chief was questioned as to why officers are pulling people over for expired tags, even having been instructed NOT TO because it is a known issue. The only reason they knew the person in that car had a warrant is because of a stop that shouldn't have been made. Did he have a firearm on him when he was stopped? Certainly doesn't sound like it so far. Did he aim a weapon at BCPD? Did he take action that was going to result in the imminent death of BCPD? No? Then why was the deadly force used?

Even with a warrant out for an arrest, or drugs in the system in the case of George Floyd, since when the fuck did a damn patrol officer because of the judge, jury, and the rightful executioner of someone? The BCPD and City Manager both kept harping on "The officer needs to be afforded due process". What due process did Daunte Wright get? He didn't assault the officers. Did he resist? Yes. Would a taser have been warranted? 100%. Did he attack the officers? No. He had 3 or 4 officers on him when he slipped back into the car. None of the officer's lives were put in danger, at all. Why does "Resisting" justify being killed - even to the extent of "He shouldn't have been killed BUT this is what happens". Why is resisting now punishable by death? Especially without the due process, the officer will get?

The police chief was questioned, hard, on all these matters yesterday at his press conference. You can tell he isn't able to do his job. He isn't able to remain calm. He isn't able to give answers. He was clearly fighting back wanting to just scream "FUCK YOU" at every reporter in the room. He is so unprepared to do what his job requires of him that he actually left mid-press conference. Just walked out. He didn't have another engagement he had to be at. He wasn't summoned to a call. He had literally nothing else going on EXCEPT THE #1 issue his department is facing, and because he had to answer tough questions he walked out of the press conference. If the saying of "crews take on the personality of their leader" it's not hard to see how BCPD would feel so scared and so jumpy at their jobs. Their leader isn't a leader.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:38 pm Jesus H. Tittyfucking Christ, Clenz....you’re trying WAY too hard.

Blacks are killed at a 3.23x rate to whites? Well, howsabout while they’re just 13% of the population, they commit about 50% of the violent crimes? Think that might put them in the crosshairs a bit more frequently?
The stat, if you would take the time to read the sources I posted (I know 62 pages of research in one article can be VERY daunting) you'd see the rate is based on interactions, it isn't simply just a pure numbers deal. So when taking this to proportional levels, either taking whites up to the same number of violent crimes or blacks down to levels of white violent crimes - the number is 3.23

That's also not a number I made up. Don't take issue with me no it. Feel free to contact the PhDs who conducted the research if you feel that you have a better understanding of how to conduct research than they do.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:15 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:37 am Starting to sound like we should just wall off Minnesota and let them have at each other.
Land of 10,000 riots..
:lol: Very clever.... :clap:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

clenz wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:03 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:27 pm
I know the wording/charges are different in different states, but if you unintentionally cause the death of someone through you’re own stupidity, that’s generally not murder, but rather a negligent homicide or manslaughter.
Just like Chauvin has three charges against him, I'd bet she sees the same three charges

Second Degree Murder
Second-degree unintentional murder, the state's prosecutors will have to show beyond a reasonable doubt that the officer caused the death while assaulting him. This is the most serious charge and carries a presumed sentence in this case of 10 3⁄4 years to 15 years, according to state sentencing guidelines.

Third Degree Murder
Third-degree murder requires prosecutors to prove that someone caused the death of another "by perpetrating an act eminently dangerous to others and evincing a depraved mind, without regard for human life." Legal experts note that the definition of "depraved mind" is murky— as is the legal line between "depraved mind" and the "culpable negligence" standard for manslaughter. Historically, third-degree murder has been used to prosecute drug dealers who sold deadly products but weren't planning to kill specific individuals. But in 2019, former Minneapolis police officer Mohamed Noor was convicted of third-degree murder in the death of Justine Ruszczyk Damond after she called 911 to report a possible sexual assault in progress in the alley near her house. Noor fatally shot Damond from the passenger seat of a squad car, firing across his partner, who had been driving. The state Court of Appeals narrowly upheld his conviction, and the state Supreme Court will hear the case in June. Noor is currently serving a 10½-year sentence. He is the only police officer ever to be convicted of murder for an on-duty incident in Minnesota.

Second Degree Manslaughter
Prosecutors will need to show beyond a reasonable doubt that the officer was "culpably negligent" and took an "unreasonable risk" with the life when she shot him and that her actions put the man at risk of death or great harm. Prosecutors do not have to prove that officer's actions intended to cause death, only that her actions put the suspect at risk of death or great bodily harm. This charge carries a presumptive sentence of 41-57 months.
Well, by those definitions I don't think any three of those charges will stick and win in court. If they can get the jury to believe that she really thought she was reaching for the taser, and it's very possible she did just that, then they'll need to use a charge other than what you listed above. Clearly there's negligence, so is there a negligent manslaughter that fits what she did?
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

clenz wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:15 pm

And the "pulled over because of air fresheners" has already been debunked. Wright was pulled over for expired tags and had a warrant out for his arrest for failing to appear in court after being charged with unlawful possession of a firearm.
The police chief was questioned as to why he was pulled over for tags, given that the MDOT has a two to three-month delay on getting tags out - EVEN WHEN ORDERED ON TIME - due to the pandemic. The chief was questioned as to why officers are pulling people over for expired tags, even having been instructed NOT TO because it is a known issue. The only reason they knew the person in that car had a warrant is because of a stop that shouldn't have been made. Did he have a firearm on him when he was stopped? Certainly doesn't sound like it so far. Did he aim a weapon at BCPD? Did he take action that was going to result in the imminent death of BCPD? No? Then why was the deadly force used?

Even with a warrant out for an arrest, or drugs in the system in the case of George Floyd, since when the fuck did a damn patrol officer because of the judge, jury, and the rightful executioner of someone? The BCPD and City Manager both kept harping on "The officer needs to be afforded due process". What due process did Daunte Wright get? He didn't assault the officers. Did he resist? Yes. Would a taser have been warranted? 100%. Did he attack the officers? No. He had 3 or 4 officers on him when he slipped back into the car. None of the officer's lives were put in danger, at all. Why does "Resisting" justify being killed - even to the extent of "He shouldn't have been killed BUT this is what happens". Why is resisting now punishable by death? Especially without the due process, the officer will get?

The police chief was questioned, hard, on all these matters yesterday at his press conference. You can tell he isn't able to do his job. He isn't able to remain calm. He isn't able to give answers. He was clearly fighting back wanting to just scream "FUCK YOU" at every reporter in the room. He is so unprepared to do what his job requires of him that he actually left mid-press conference. Just walked out. He didn't have another engagement he had to be at. He wasn't summoned to a call. He had literally nothing else going on EXCEPT THE #1 issue his department is facing, and because he had to answer tough questions he walked out of the press conference. If the saying of "crews take on the personality of their leader" it's not hard to see how BCPD would feel so scared and so jumpy at their jobs. Their leader isn't a leader.
Agreed. I don't understand the pulling people over for expired tags, even in the best of times, let alone now during COVID and during a time when they know tags aren't being issued as quickly as they should be. And I wouldn't doubt that there's a racial component to it as well - maybe Black people don't get their tags renewed as well as whites, but I'm thinking that's probably not true.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:35 am maybe Black people don't get their tags renewed as well as whites, but I'm thinking that's probably not true.
They can't get ID's so that must be the case.
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

There's a difference between expired tags and no tags. He had a temporary tag taped inside the rear window. Quite a difference.

I hope to get a response from clenzy I know he's very busy explaining and excusing any and all the peaceful protesting
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

andy7171 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:31 am There's a difference between expired tags and no tags. He had a temporary tag taped inside the rear window. Quite a difference.

I hope to get a response from clenzy I know he's very busy explaining and excusing any and all the peaceful protesting
So he bought a car and never got it registered?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

now you know what the police chief was THINKING? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Here's a couple things: When he "slipped back into the car", NOBODY knew whether he was going for a gun. You gonna let somebody get the drop on YOU in that situation? Sure, Monday-morning QB the FUCK out of this because NOW we know he didn't have a gun. Why don't you ask THIS guy's family if he felt his life was in danger (right up to the point where the guy put one in the back of his head)? THIS is what they are potentially walking into every time they stop someone. If it's so goddamned easy, why don't you go stand a post instead of just sit back and criticize? Go BE the change you so obviously feel is needed...

https://www.lawofficer.com/new-mexico-s ... rs-murder/

here's the UUUUUUUUGGGEEEEE irony in all of this: people (like you, Clenz) are doing to cops EXACTLY what you're criticizing them for doing to Black Americans. Judging them based on something other than their character. Lumping them together based on the actions of a few.

Nice work. The hypocrisy is strong in you. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

andy7171 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:31 am There's a difference between expired tags and no tags. He had a temporary tag taped inside the rear window. Quite a difference.

You're right, there is a huge difference between the two.

It's also two different people and instances - The Army Lt. had a temporary tag and the guy in Minnesota had expired tags.
Last edited by Ibanez on Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:07 am

So he bought a car and never got it registered?
What I read, was his mother bought the car for him recently. That was an early story, so you may have to verify.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

So you are arguing when warrants shouldn't be enforced? :lol:

Nothing like a white guy from Iowa telling a Brown person born and raised in the hood about the injustices by the police. But please, tell me more.

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:35 am

Agreed. I don't understand the pulling people over for expired tags, even in the best of times, let alone now during COVID and during a time when they know tags aren't being issued as quickly as they should be. And I wouldn't doubt that there's a racial component to it as well - maybe Black people don't get their tags renewed as well as whites, but I'm thinking that's probably not true.
Well black people don't know how to get an ID, so maybe paying their car registration is a bridge too far. :rofl: :dunce:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

89Hen wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:28 am
GannonFan wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:35 am maybe Black people don't get their tags renewed as well as whites, but I'm thinking that's probably not true.
They can't get ID's so that must be the case.
Beat me to it. :lol:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

SDHornet wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:10 am So you are arguing when warrants shouldn't be enforced? :lol:

Nothing like a white guy from Iowa telling a Brown person born and raised in the hood about the injustices by the police. But please, tell me more.

:lol:

What happens if Tlaib gets her wish and the police are defunded and disbanded (no more policing) and jails are emptied (no more incarceration)?

Criminals don't exist because of policing and incarceration. Getting rid of policing and incarceration will not make crime or criminals disappear. The wealthy will hire security and the less fortunate will suffer at the hands of criminals. The SJW's will scream racism and privilege but it will be their fault because they pushed for no more policing and incarceration.

She's as whacky and extremist as MTG.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:19 am
SDHornet wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:10 am So you are arguing when warrants shouldn't be enforced? :lol:

What happens if Tlaib gets her wish and the police are defunded and disbanded (no more policing) and jails are emptied (no more incarceration)?

Criminals don't exist because of policing and incarceration. Getting rid of policing and incarceration will not make crime go away. The wealthy will hire security and the less fortunate will suffer at the hands of criminals. The SJW's will scream racism and privilege but it will be their fault because they pushed for no more policing and incarceration.

Well we should know soon enough. Homicides are up to near 1990's levels in the major cities from what I hear.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

SDHornet wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:21 am

Criminals don't exist because of policing and incarceration. Getting rid of policing and incarceration will not make crime go away. The wealthy will hire security and the less fortunate will suffer at the hands of criminals. The SJW's will scream racism and privilege but it will be their fault because they pushed for no more policing and incarceration.

Well we should know soon enough. Homicides are up to near 1990's levels in the major cities from what I hear.
I liked this response ...

clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

You mean the peaceful protesting that is a constitutional right?

Yeah, strange of me to be okay with the peaceful protests. What a fucking strange to to be for, I realize, but here I am.

You think you did something with that post.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

SDHornet wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:10 am

So you are arguing when warrants shouldn't be enforced? :lol:

Where did I argue a warrant shouldn't be enforced?

If you'll read what I said, I had no issues with the warrant being enforced. I had no issues with the idea of using a taser to stop him from driving away. I take issue with the reason for the stop, as it's been something patrol has been told not to stop for at this time. They had no idea who was in the car and only discovered a warrant after the stop. They didn't see him in the car and recognize his face by memory and go "He has a warrant, he needs to be stopped.".

Literally, everything about this situation could have, and should have, never been put in motion from the start. To excuse any idea of his murder because he had a warrant or because he resisted non violently because "you shouldn't resist or you get what you get" or anything like that is silly.

Again, I've said multiple times about even being willing to take race out of these topics and just looking at it from a systemic issue with police hiring practices. We have an issue with officers being protected after repeated abuses of power. We have a systematic issue across the police force nationally. This female officer resigned this morning. She wasn't fired for killing the man. She was placed on administrative leave with the chief of police stating there was no intention to fire her because he thought it was an accidental discharge. If she didn't resign she would still be paid to stay home and then go back on patrol. Even when officers are terminated for repeated abuses of their power they just go one jurisdiction over and get hired there.

It's pretty clear the Police Chief had no intention to act, and wasn't able to handle his role. Same with the City Manager. They have both been relieve of their duties and a new Chief of Police is in place. The command of the police has also been moved to the office of the mayor rather than the police department.

I would love for you to point out how I've said warrants shouldn't be enforced. How I support the violent destruction of property. I've not said that.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:25 am

now you know what the police chief was THINKING? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Here's a couple things: When he "slipped back into the car", NOBODY knew whether he was going for a gun. You gonna let somebody get the drop on YOU in that situation? Sure, Monday-morning QB the FUCK out of this because NOW we know he didn't have a gun. Why don't you ask THIS guy's family if he felt his life was in danger (right up to the point where the guy put one in the back of his head)? THIS is what they are potentially walking into every time they stop someone. If it's so goddamned easy, why don't you go stand a post instead of just sit back and criticize? Go BE the change you so obviously feel is needed...

https://www.lawofficer.com/new-mexico-s ... rs-murder/

here's the UUUUUUUUGGGEEEEE irony in all of this: people (like you, Clenz) are doing to cops EXACTLY what you're criticizing them for doing to Black Americans. Judging them based on something other than their character. Lumping them together based on the actions of a few.

Nice work. The hypocrisy is strong in you. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Notice how I said I was okay with the use of force all the way up to the use of a fucking gun at point blank range.
Notice how I've said I would have been in 100% support of a taser in this case.

You want to keep shifting what I'm actually saying into something you can argue about.

Again, police are allowed to panic and kill someone by mistake but citizens are required to be completely calm at all times.
One of those is trained on handling stress, and it's literally their fucking job. One of them it isn't.

If it was as simple as "a couple bad apples" shit like this wouldn't continue to happen all across the country, regardless what race it happens too. If it was only a couple bad apples eventually, by now, you'd think we've have gotten them out of the tree.

Once again - taking race out of any of this - we have a systemic issue in the police force. This has also created significant mistrust in the police by the population, which only makes matters worse.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

clenz wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:12 am

Yeah, strange of me to be okay with the peaceful protests. What a fucking strange to to be for, I realize, but here I am.

I interpreted Andy's reference to peaceful protesting to be tongue-in-cheek. Maybe he should have put it in parenthesis or added an emoji.

Peaceful protests are fine, they bring attention to a problem and hopefully force elected officials to address it rationally. It's the riots and looting that aren't ok and shouldn't be tolerated.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Criminals don't exist because of policing and incarceration. Getting rid of policing and incarceration will not make crime or criminals disappear. The wealthy will hire security and the less fortunate will suffer at the hands of criminals. The SJW's will scream racism and privilege but it will be their fault because they pushed for no more policing and incarceration.

At least government gets smaller. :clap:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

You are completely unhinged. :(
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:34 am

I interpreted Andy's reference to peaceful protesting to be tongue-in-cheek. Maybe he should have put it in parenthesis or added an emoji.

Peaceful protests are fine, they bring attention to a problem and hopefully force elected officials to address it rationally. It's the riots and looting that aren't ok and shouldn't be tolerated.
I think anyone who isn't seeing red out of anger would read it the same way 88. That's why I said it's really pointless to engage Clenz on this.