Re: Hey Seattle and Portland.....

Post by SDHornet »

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Good article in Reason today on Portland.

https://reason.com/2021/03/22/the-dream ... 4EpLnLnzPY

The author makes several comments that not only fit Portland but our nation at large IMHO.

""I'm divesting from Portland," Jessie Burke told me. She'd recently bought a home in Key West. Because of the new renters' rights law, she'd just had to pay $4,500 to renters to vacate one of her properties; none of it made any sense. "My husband told me the other day, 'I feel like we have to save the city, and I'm not exactly sure how.' The loudest voices are not the smartest voices, and they don't know how much of anything works, and they don't understand how to move the needle."

I don't know how, either. I am almost sure it cannot be moved by government officials—not when their sympathies and policies have, in effect, allowed a tiny group of people to dominate the narrative for the better part of a year; have let them take the city, block by block; have seen them befoul what, less than two decades ago, was a legitimately beautiful place so seemingly full of promise that young people flocked there from across the country to fulfill their dreams. I do not believe they wanted to end up staring into a nihilistic fire, and if I could relay to activists a message it would be to stop devoting their munificent energy toward destruction, and to learn to be builders of the dream."
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:58 am Good article in Reason today on Portland.

The author makes several comments that not only fit Portland but our nation at large IMHO.

""I'm divesting from Portland," Jessie Burke told me. She'd recently bought a home in Key West. Because of the new renters' rights law, she'd just had to pay $4,500 to renters to vacate one of her properties; none of it made any sense. "My husband told me the other day, 'I feel like we have to save the city, and I'm not exactly sure how.' The loudest voices are not the smartest voices, and they don't know how much of anything works, and they don't understand how to move the needle."

I don't know how, either. I am almost sure it cannot be moved by government officials—not when their sympathies and policies have, in effect, allowed a tiny group of people to dominate the narrative for the better part of a year; have let them take the city, block by block; have seen them befoul what, less than two decades ago, was a legitimately beautiful place so seemingly full of promise that young people flocked there from across the country to fulfill their dreams. I do not believe they wanted to end up staring into a nihilistic fire, and if I could relay to activists a message it would be to stop devoting their munificent energy toward destruction, and to learn to be builders of the dream."
:nod:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:14 am
Winterborn wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:58 am Good article in Reason today on Portland.

Portland is rapidly headed the way of Detroit, Cleveland, St. Louis and a few other emerging shitholes.

Congrats, libs.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

A good example of how being "Outraged all the Time", while great for activists, doesn't really equate to good outcomes in practice.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:57 am

Portland is rapidly headed the way of Detroit, Cleveland, St. Louis and a few other emerging shitholes.

Congrats, libs.
When will you be steering your yacht up the Columbia to tow my home down the coast, through the Panama Canal and up to Texas? Just not Austin. I've heard that's Portland Lite. 8-)
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 12:46 pm

Congrats, libs.
When will you be steering your yacht up the Columbia to tow my home down the coast, through the Panama Canal and up to Texas? Just not Austin. I've heard that's Portland Lite. 8-)
I would, but I can’t get my yacht over the bar at the mouth of the Columbia. Too treacherous.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Congrats, libs.
Drive 100 miles east to the Tri Cities and you’ll hit Texas politically, culturally, and scenically.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 12:51 pm

Drive 100 miles east to the Tri Cities and you’ll hit Texas politically, culturally, and scenically.
^^^ frighteningly accurate.* :nod: :nod:

* with the exception of the Hill Country area....
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 12:51 pm
Plus no income taxes.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Congrats, libs.
There seems to be something in common with these places...
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

AZGrizFan wrote:
kalm wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:14 am :nod:

Congrats, libs.
GOOD

The only antidote to this kind of governance is a wealth of concrete examples of its inevitable results

Hopefully Austin will have its day in the sunlight too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 12:49 pm

I would, but I can’t get my yacht over the bar at the mouth of the Columbia. Too treacherous.
Don't be a Karen, there are only hundreds of sunken ships there. Besides, I can charter a tug to bring you in and out.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

CID1990 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:10 am
AZGrizFan wrote:

Congrats, libs.
GOOD

The only antidote to this kind of governance is a wealth of concrete examples of its inevitable results

Hopefully Austin will have its day in the sunlight too

Oh its well on its way. Weeeeelllll on its way.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

SDHornet wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 3:25 pm

Congrats, libs.
There seems to be something in common with these places...
Can’t quite put my finger on it..... :coffee: :coffee:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

ThIs WiLl Go AwAy WhEn BiDeN* iS pReSiDeNt

Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

Hold on now...wait a gotdamn minute. I was assured that all the violence and rioting in Portland was a grossly exaggerated right-wing conspiracy theory and that Antifa was only an idea. :?

CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

I don’t know why you guys even register these shenanigans on your radars

I for one hope Antifa burns that whole city to the ground. People get the leadership they deserve

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/seattl ... itics-warn

For 66 years, Seattle’s downtown was separated from its waterfront by a hulking, double-decker viaduct. When it was blown up in 2019 over earthquake-safety concerns, the possibilities seemed endless. Now, construction is well underway on a 26-block, $700 million waterfront park. It promises to be an open space with stunning views of the Puget Sound and an agenda aimed at dismantling racism.

Friends of Waterfront Park is a nonprofit tasked with raising $100 million for construction and then managing the park’s entertainment and security. On its website it touts "Friends of Waterfront Seattle acknowledges that historic and existing systemic racism is embedded in our city." It also states "the goal is to create inclusive spaces for community driven cultural events … where all people … specifically Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC) as well as underserved communities feel welcome and safe."

Freelance writer Liz Economou sent her resume in for the marketing director job. But when she asked for current examples of embedded racism, she never heard back. Economou then looked at the descriptions of all the job openings at Friends of Waterfront Seattle and was surprised. Among the responsibilities were "engage in regular conversations about race and equity through all-staff meetings, trainings and a DEI (Diversity Equity Inclusion) book club."

"I didn’t want it at all," said Economou, "I want a job based on meritocracy, based on what I can contribute, not based on whether I’m woke enough."

Friends of Waterfront Seattle responded, "We hire candidates based on their skills, experience and qualifications."

But Friends’ "wokeness" is already on display. Before the beautiful views at Pier 62, park-goers are greeted by a huge fence sign that talks about past discrimination faced by dockworkers in Seattle. Around the railing are small signs featuring hand-picked artists. A photographer says his pictures reflect the "ongoing history of interactions between the colonizer and the colonized." Another artist says he sees "a solemn future, fortified by the grief and loss of our natural world."

Mike Sotello, who represents minority business owners, is worried the messaging will drive tourists away and the resulting open spaces will fill with homeless people who already occupy several city parks.

"No one likes to go on a Saturday afternoon to spend time with their family and get hit with guilt and told all these negative things about something they had no control over," said Sotelo, president of the Ethnic Chambers of Commerce Coalition.

The $1.3 million no-bid agreement Friends of Waterfront Seattle signed with the city calls for 35% of all park programs to be geared toward "underserved communities." Seattle residents and tourists will get to see exactly what that means when the waterfront park’s construction is completed in 2024.
Sounds like there’s SOME people who “get” it. Seattle won’t have to worry about tourists soon. This is going to be a $700 million homeless park.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... to-flames/
When another boat began circling their vessel in a Moses Lake on Memorial Day, a group from Washington assumed they were trying to signal support for their gay pride flags.

But then someone on the other boat flipped a middle finger and yelled something about “gays” and “flags,” a passenger on the boat said. So the group started recording in case the situation escalated.

It did — but not how they might have expected.

Moments later, the other boat burst into flames, forcing passengers to jump into the lake — and leaving the victims to become rescuers as they filmed a moment that turned into a viral video this week.

Robbie and the rest of his group pulled the burning boat’s occupants to safety and then sped away before calling 911.

“The passengers were quite rude, shouting over us, ignoring my [inquiries] about their well being when on the 911 call and smoking a vape pen on our boat without even so much as asking if they could; several passengers of our boat have asthma,” Robbie told The Post.

Eventually, police arrived to extinguish the flames. The rescued boaters left to jump on a friends’ vessel without saying “thank you,” Robbie said.
Assholes.... :ohno: :ohno:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:40 am https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... to-flames/
When another boat began circling their vessel in a Moses Lake on Memorial Day, a group from Washington assumed they were trying to signal support for their gay pride flags.

But then someone on the other boat flipped a middle finger and yelled something about “gays” and “flags,” a passenger on the boat said. So the group started recording in case the situation escalated.

It did — but not how they might have expected.

Moments later, the other boat burst into flames, forcing passengers to jump into the lake — and leaving the victims to become rescuers as they filmed a moment that turned into a viral video this week.

Robbie and the rest of his group pulled the burning boat’s occupants to safety and then sped away before calling 911.

“The passengers were quite rude, shouting over us, ignoring my [inquiries] about their well being when on the 911 call and smoking a vape pen on our boat without even so much as asking if they could; several passengers of our boat have asthma,” Robbie told The Post.

Eventually, police arrived to extinguish the flames. The rescued boaters left to jump on a friends’ vessel without saying “thank you,” Robbie said.
Sounds like it was God smiting them down for being bigots....
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:41 am
Ibanez wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:40 am https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... to-flames/

Sounds like it was God smiting them down for being bigots....
And reckless drivers.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

CID1990 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:56 pm I don’t know why you guys even register these shenanigans on your radars

I for one hope Antifa burns that whole city to the ground. People get the leadership they deserve

Agree to a degree on your first sentence and wholly on your second.

Murderopilis (Minneapolis) has a 250% increase in violent crime in year-to-date and 34 homicides so far this year (average for this time of year is 13). The '95 record is 97.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein