Cancel Culture thread

Political discussions
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Re: Cancel Culture thread

Post by Gil Dobie »

HI54UNI wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:28 am :lol: :lol: at all the liberals crying over the ouster of Liz Cheney. Didn't know liberals loved neocon warmongers. :lol:
In today's world, if you don't agree with Trump, you are considered a liberal by many Trump supporters.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Liz Cheney wrote:“I will do everything I can to ensure that the former president never, again gets anywhere near the oval office.”
You guys seriously don't understand why the GOP needed to remove her from leadership. Again, they have not removed her from Congress. You guys crack me the fuck up.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

HI54UNI wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:28 am :lol: :lol: at all the liberals crying over the ouster of Liz Cheney. Didn't know liberals loved neocon warmongers. :lol:
That’s establishment media for ya. Progressive pundits have reported on it with the caveat of what Cheney represents.

Kind of an if you’re getting some on the left to side with Cheney, you’re doing it wrong sort of thing.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:34 pm
Liz Cheney wrote:“I will do everything I can to ensure that the former president never, again gets anywhere near the oval office.”
You guys seriously don't understand why the GOP needed to remove her from leadership. Again, they have not removed her from Congress. You guys crack me the fuck up.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

You're a lost soul Gil.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:41 am
andy7171 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:31 am

My point being, she doesn't like AOC or her antics. Her job is to keep the D's united and focus everything negative on the R's. She doesn't talk about her non stop and take the bait everytime its offered.
Cheney, apparently, cannot stop talking about Trump. If your leader can't stop shooting down into her own troops, sooner or later, the general will remove her.
That's a very valid argument. I would hope that if AOC was spreading conspiracy theories that undermine the integrity of our elections and our government, then Nancy would push back against AOC.
We had 4 years and a Mueller Investigation that was entirely centered around the idea that the 2016 election was stolen, that Trump was in cohoots with Putin and was a Russian puppet, and we had Democratic members of Congress routinely saying they had the proof and just wait until we knew what they knew. Heck, there's a whole thread devoted to that on this board from Jelly, who still hasn't fully recovered from going full bore down that rabbit hole of conspiracy theories. I really don't remember a lot of pushback from Democrats that they needed to tone it down or not engage in that kind of speculation of how easily our elections could be stolen.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:20 pm
In today's world, if you don't agree with Trump, you are considered a liberal by many Trump supporters.
And the flip side of that coin is if you don't agree with AOC/Talib/Omar and the Green New Deal and Defund the Police etc., etc., you're considered a conservative. Both positions are comical.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

I'm with '89 on this one. Heck, Cheyney probably should've withdrawn herself. I think the Congressional GOP'ers are pretty loony, but that also goes with the territory of being Congresspeople - those folks are supposed to be loony. But I think it's pretty clear that the vast majority of GOP'ers didn't want her in a leadership position, and leadership being derived from the consent of those being led, that she shouldn't have been a leader. Heck, before all of this I didn't realize there were leadership positions in the party other than the Leader and the Whip, so at least that's been a good civics lesson for me.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

I get it. She didn't hero worship. I get why they didn't like that. You can't have a person in a leadership position having their own thoughts.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:46 pm You're a lost soul Gil.
I don't believe the election was stolen.
The attack on the capital was the same a the riots.

Where am I lost?
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:50 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:20 pm

And the flip side of that coin is if you don't agree with AOC/Talib/Omar and the Green New Deal and Defund the Police etc., etc., you're considered a conservative. Both positions are comical.
What if you don't agree with Trump/AOC/Talib/Omar...? A conservative liberal? Liberal constative?
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

GannonFan wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:48 pm
Ibanez wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:41 am

That's a very valid argument. I would hope that if AOC was spreading conspiracy theories that undermine the integrity of our elections and our government, then Nancy would push back against AOC.
We had 4 years and a Mueller Investigation that was entirely centered around the idea that the 2016 election was stolen, that Trump was in cohoots with Putin and was a Russian puppet, and we had Democratic members of Congress routinely saying they had the proof and just wait until we knew what they knew. Heck, there's a whole thread devoted to that on this board from Jelly, who still hasn't fully recovered from going full bore down that rabbit hole of conspiracy theories. I really don't remember a lot of pushback from Democrats that they needed to tone it down or not engage in that kind of speculation of how easily our elections could be stolen.
They should've been. Pelosi should've muzzled people like Maxine Waters who did nothing buy obfuscate and set roadblocks in our government just b/c they didn't agree with the outcome of the election.

But just because Party A didn't do something doesn't mean Party B has to act the same way. Both political parties are a cancerous pox.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:41 am
Ibanez wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:24 am

For sure. At this point is just who is more ridiculous: the people that wore shirts with Obama's face or those that spend thousands to wrap their trucks, cars, boats, windows with Trumps name and image.

I think it's no contest that Republicans have been more ardent, die hard and fervent(?) supporters than Obama voters. I don't recall Obama flags. There are still Trump flags flying (even the crazy fucker in my town still drives around with his Trump wrapped car and windows flying a Trump flag out of his sun roof).

Or maybe it's just an insane amount of enthusiasm over a guy we all said was a joke years ago. I can understand enthusiasm.
Really? You don't recall Obama flags? The ones that looked like Che Guvera commie flags with the "Hope and Change" emblazoned across the front?

Obama BEGAN the "Cult of Personality" presidency.....
:coffee:
I don't. I recall the Hope poster. I recall people wearing clothes with his face on it. Perhaps I wasn't usually around the key demographic that voted for Obama. Perhaps that key demographic did have their cars, boats, windows, etc... all done up with Obama's name and face. I've seen more car windows with pictures of people in caskets than Obama (true story. It's an awful "trend" down in Charleston).

And maybe b/c I live in a Red state but there wasn't a lot of Obama flags flying in the low country. Even less up here in Praise The Lord land.

I never said there wasn't a cult of personality around Obama - in fact i'm quite certain i've said it many times on this board. The only difference here is the magnitude. I suspect I'd see it differently (maybe), If I lived in a more Democratic city/state. I'd keep an open mind about it.
Last edited by Ibanez on Wed May 12, 2021 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:59 pm
GannonFan wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:48 pm

They should've been. Pelosi should've muzzled people like Maxine Waters who did nothing buy obfuscate and set roadblocks in our government just b/c they didn't agree with the outcome of the election.

But just because Party A didn't do something doesn't mean Party B has to act the same way. Both political parties are a cancerous pox.
I don't disagree - just pointing out that what the GOP did today is really nothing new, this has been our politics for a while now.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Ibanez wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:54 pm

I get it. She didn't hero worship. I get why they didn't like that. You can't have a person in a leadership position having their own thoughts.
Didn't hero worship? :lol:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

GannonFan wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:06 pm
Ibanez wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:59 pm

I don't disagree - just pointing out that what the GOP did today is really nothing new, this has been our politics for a while now.
Yup. No deviations from the party script - no matter how stupid, crazy, insane, ridiculous it is.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Ibanez wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:59 pm Pelosi should've muzzled people like Maxine Waters...

Not sure I follow. The left should have muzzled Waters, but the right shouldn't remove Cheney from a leadership position?
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

89Hen wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:11 pm
Ibanez wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:59 pm Pelosi should've muzzled people like Maxine Waters...

Not sure I follow. The left should have muzzled Waters, but the right shouldn't remove Cheney from a leadership position?

Was Waters Party leadership in 2016 ( I honestly don't think so)? She should've been told to pipe down (as Liz was) but I don't recall her being punished for her views. If she was, i'll admit i'm wrong.

Don't get me wrong - i'm just pointing out that the party that gets up in arms over cancelling people for what they say and do is doing just that.

That's what happened here. Cheney was punished b/c she's speaking her mind and the Party didn't approve.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

I think there's a big difference between somebody being "cancelled" because of something they said years ago about a topic unrelated to the something for which they're being cancelled, and a leader of a party being removed from leadership because the people she's leading think she is damaging their party.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Heck, I thought it was amusing to hear Pelosi refer to Cheyney as a person of "integrity" even though I'm pretty sure she's still strictly anti-gay marriage. I think we've gotten good at a la carte integrity decisions, really depends on the day I suppose.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:24 pm I think there's a big difference between somebody being "cancelled" because of something they said years ago about a topic unrelated to the something for which they're being cancelled, and a leader of a party being removed from leadership because the people she's leading think she is damaging their party.
Good point there - like 89 has said, she didn't get censured or impeached or thrown out of Congress. She's just not the #3 person in the GOP Congressional caucus. I'm pretty sure I can't name the person who held that role before she did, nor will I likely know the name of the person who steps into that role following her. She's free to do and say whatever she pleases, just as she was prior to this.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:25 pm Heck, I thought it was amusing to hear Pelosi refer to Cheyney as a person of "integrity" even though I'm pretty sure she's still strictly anti-gay marriage. I think we've gotten good at a la carte integrity decisions, really depends on the day I suppose.
It's gotten so bad you have people like Mark and Gil joining in on chastising the GOP for removing a person from leadership who literally just said she would do anything she could to keep the previous POTUS that got 73M votes in the last election from ever running again. I'd be happy if he didn't run again, but you CANNOT have anyone in a GOP leadership position saying that. Imagine if Pelosi came out tomorrow and said she thought Biden had cognitive issues, was elected by people that knew that and she was going to do anything she could to remove him from office. Think she'd be SOTH for long? :lol:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:24 pm I think there's a big difference between somebody being "cancelled" because of something they said years ago about a topic unrelated to the something for which they're being cancelled, and a leader of a party being removed from leadership because the people she's leading think she is damaging their party.
Damaging their party is a subjective opinion. It could be argued that she had a different opinion about the direction of her party and they purged a dissenting opinion from leadership. While they had every right to remove her from leadership that doesn't mean that they should be immune to criticism for removing her. If it bothers the party faithful, then maybe they should put on their big boy pants, get some thicker skin and stop being snowflakes (or losers as Trump would call them).
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:33 pm
GannonFan wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:25 pm Heck, I thought it was amusing to hear Pelosi refer to Cheyney as a person of "integrity" even though I'm pretty sure she's still strictly anti-gay marriage. I think we've gotten good at a la carte integrity decisions, really depends on the day I suppose.
It's gotten so bad you have people like Mark and Gil joining in on chastising the GOP for removing a person from leadership who literally just said she would do anything she could to keep the previous POTUS that got 73M votes in the last election from ever running again. I'd be happy if he didn't run again, but you CANNOT have anyone in a GOP leadership position saying that. Imagine if Pelosi came out tomorrow and said she thought Biden had cognitive issues, was elected by people that knew that and she was going to do anything she could to remove him from office. Think she'd be SOTH for long? :lol:
I agree with Cheney, and if Pelosi came out and said she would do anything in her power to keep Biden from running again, I would agree with her.

I haven't seen where Cheney said that, I've seen where she said she wouldn't support Trump if he ran.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ibanez wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:10 pm
GannonFan wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:06 pm

Yup. No deviations from the party script - no matter how stupid, crazy, insane, ridiculous it is.
Well, the last "party script" seems to have worked a fuck of a lot better than the current "party script". :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12